PDA

View Full Version : Tom/Toms & Cellphones

minnow
10-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Fellas (and Pink Side Dancers, Too); Which portable gps unit do you use between cars, and how satisfied are you with price/performance/user friendliness aspects? I've heard that some units are combination cellphone AND gps. Comments there if applicable. Thanks//8)

Lapaholic
11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Minnow - my wife uses the Garmin and loves it .. she travels a lot and the portability is nice. It can get goofy in rural areas - i took the scenic route back to Richmond from Myrtle beach and it got a little goofy on some occasions - but I bet they all have that prob and is more to do w/ the maps than the unit. It got me home tho...

And btw if me wife uses it, it cant be too hard to use - she is technically challenged ;)

THe one down side of using a cell is that u will have a monthly fee for the GPS service.. right?

minnow
11-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Lap- Just to be clear- Is particular Garmin unit a combination cell phone/gps? If so, does it matter which cellphone carrier you sign up for, or do you have only 1 choice?

Lapaholic
11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Oh sorry - no its a dedicated unit ... buy the unit and u r good to go...

rockie
11-09-2007, 09:07 AM
I have the Garmin 330c and feel it's already paid for itself in what info it provides. Not just directions and maps, but closest restaurants, atm's, and gas stations.

Lapaholic
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
^^^ Yeah that part is really quite cool ...

Ferret
12-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Nokia N95 - combo celphone and GPS and more

Nokia N810 - GPS, and internet brower on a high resolution screen, voice via internet; requires Wifi connection

minnow
05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
:bump:

Boy is looking to get a GPS of some sort in the near future since he does a lot of driving nowadays, but we're not sure what to get. Is it better to get one of the ones that mounts in the car (but can be moved) or to get a hand-held one? What models/brands do you recommend?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for reminding me,LJ, still on "to do" list:O . I see more cellphones having GPS capability as "standard". If your bf is going to make a lot of sales calls, or deliveries @ many different places, I'd say a mountable unit would be good, if only for better readability, and more hands free driving. I may be mistaken, but in my limited looking @ cellphone (Sprint store), I didn't notice any "quick buttons" to bring up gas stations, or restaurants, so that might be another factor "for" a larger mountable unit. "Luk" what you decide on 8)