PDA

View Full Version : So I'm in a coffee shop

Jenny
02-04-2008, 01:21 PM
with my lap top and a older guy just sat diagonally from me (hey. I wonder if he is surfing stripperweb?). He has the teeniest laptop I've ever seen. It is very, very small. He saw me look and did this nod downward toward it with a raised eyebrow that very clearly said "Yeah, mine's tiny. Check it out." I laughed and I'm now trying not to stare because I can feel him looking occasionally. It is really very small and impressive.

That is all.

Lunarobverse
02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Is it this one (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/):

http://images.macworld.com/images/news/graphics/131583-mbair_large.jpg

Jenny
02-04-2008, 01:35 PM
No - although the roommate seems to get a little turned on by that computer - it's not thin; it's small in the other two dimensions. Like if you folded a piece of paper in half.

PrettyCurlieQ
02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Don't worry. In a few years, we'll be sitting in coffee shops wondering if that guy over there is typing on a laptop, his cell phone/PDA, or his damn watch!

Technology is over my head these days.

I remember the days before we downloaded ringtones and had text messaging. My first cell phone was like this except black:
http://i.xanga.com/ItzaRoos/old%20cell%20phone.jpg

And I remember my first experiences on the internet. I could click on a link and go pop a bag of popcorn. I thought it was amazing.

xdamage
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
You may have seen the Asus EEE PC. They are very tiny and cool, but ship with Linux - also very cool, if you can handle Linux, however some people have installed XP on the better equipped models.

They come in various colors and models starting here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220270

Jenny
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
It did say Asus (I stared a little) and that looks to be the right size.

It's just funny when a guy is all "look at my tiny and very manly equipment!" It just reminds you that it all could have gone the other way.

Lunarobverse
02-04-2008, 08:32 PM
It did say Asus (I stared a little) and that looks to be the right size.

It's just funny when a guy is all "look at my tiny and very manly equipment!" It just reminds you that it all could have gone the other way.

I suspected that's where you were going with this in your original post and yet declined to snark. My bad. I got over-ridden by my implanted Apple chip. Fuckin' Steve Jobs.

Jenny
02-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Well that was the look; maybe you had to be there but this guy in his fifties gave me this look that was clearly all "the size of my computer inversely correlates with my man-parts." He was being ironic (I think), not weird and pervy.

Lunarobverse
02-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Hmmm... and someone around here loves irony. Who, though? My mind is blank at the moment... :)

Yeah, even in circumstances when (large) size doesn't matter, it totally matters in the opposite fashion.

Snappa
02-05-2008, 08:42 AM
LOL. I haven't been pounding them that long, but I do remember when system memory was measured in very small numbers of KB.

xdamage
02-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I've been debating buying an Asus EEE PC for a few weeks. Problem is there are few retailers, mostly it is sold online, but I did finally have a chance to play with one at Micro Center today. I love it, but they are out of stock, so I ordered mine from Newegg, along with some extra memory and an SDHD card. Up until now I have limited myself to a PDA which is small enough and light enough I don't mind carrying it, but typing on a PDA sucks, and I think the size/weight and battery life of the Asus EEE PC is perfect for me. Plus I'm cool with a laptop running Linux as long as it has the software I need.

Casual Observer
02-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Call me nuts, but I think these "make everything smaller and smaller", and "converge everything (phone, MP3, internet) into a single object" trend that our computer technology is taking, are getting past the point of practicality for most of us. At home, I actually prefer to use my "clunky" desktop computer. My laptop is for when its not practical to bring it along, and even then, I prefer to hook a desktop keyboard into the USB than use the flat keyboard on the unit.

Dude, it's not just you.

Perfect example. Web surfing on an iPhone or Blackberry. Who the fuck can see anything on those?

I'll just open up my ThinkPad, thank you very much.

Jenny
02-10-2008, 08:44 AM
I have a thinkpad. It's a huge, monstrously sized thing. I mean, I like it - but huge. On Friday I was in a meeting and the guy next to me had a little, itty bitty thinkpad. I kept kind of eying it, then eying my own hulking computer; during the break I said "Your computer is just so small." And the he laughs and says "I know - it is. But I have a desktop at home."

Then I was all "No - I wasn't hitting you - I was just... oh whatever. I was so hitting on you. Who the hell am I trying to fool?" There is a whole world of laptop based come ons I knew nothing about.

xdamage
02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Dude, it's not just you.

Perfect example. Web surfing on an iPhone or Blackberry. Who the fuck can see anything on those?

I'll just open up my ThinkPad, thank you very much.

Yes, I have found that web browsing, and IM aren't very fun on my PDA, but it is nice to have the option. It helps some that MapQuest, Google, and Hotmail are all available in stripped down PDA sites that fit quite well on my IPaq's screen. I've used it when it was all I had with me, and because it is so small, I tend to have it with me in a pocket or a carry-on bag all of the time.

On the other hand some convergence features, like an integrated address book and phone make sense. Also my PDA is primarly a PIM that syncs calendar, addresses/phone #s, todo lists, and notes with Outlook on my computer. This is plain out priceless for me. I also really love having an encrypted electronic wallet that is synchronized between my PDA and home computer.

The main thing for any device is do you use it? If it is too big or heavy that you end up leaving it behind, then at that point it ends up being useless. It applies to any of these devices from cameras to laptops, if it sits in the drawer because it is too big to carry, what's the point?

xdamage
02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Cool. I received my Asus EEE PC.

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Asus_Eee_PC_Full_Retail_Review_Showcase/

Love it, but I need to get use to the keyboard layout, and the geek in me can't help but feel that I need to replace the built-in Linux OS with Windows XP. The Linux OS is good too, but there are a handful of applications including iTunes that I can't run.

Golden_Rule
02-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Anyone try the "Tilt"?

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/tilt_02.jpg

mparks
02-29-2008, 10:05 AM
So women used to like "it big", now they like "it small"? I'm lost...

JoeUnCool
02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Well that was the look; maybe you had to be there but this guy in his fifties gave me this look that was clearly all "the size of my computer inversely correlates with my man-parts." He was being ironic (I think), not weird and pervy.

Now I know why I bought a really big laptop...............

xdamage
03-01-2008, 09:24 PM
So I took my Asus EEE PC to a technology trade show in Vegas this week. I lost track of the number of people who asked me about at around 100. Even at the airport where they require taking out your laptops, the people at the security lines were like wow, how cool, smallest laptop they have ever seen and held up the line to look at it. I am sure I sold several dozen via word of mouth. I think Asus should cut me a commission check.

White & Nerdy
03-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Don't worry. In a few years, we'll be sitting in coffee shops wondering if that guy over there is typing on a laptop, his cell phone/PDA, or his damn watch!

Technology is over my head these days.

I remember the days before we downloaded ringtones and had text messaging. My first cell phone was like this except black:
http://i.xanga.com/ItzaRoos/old%20cell%20phone.jpg

And I remember my first experiences on the internet. I could click on a link and go pop a bag of popcorn. I thought it was amazing.

Listen to this...

I started working with computers about 10 years ago. The processing power of cellphones today have the processing power of the computers I worked on over a decade ago! We'd go ga-ga over 4X speed CD-ROM drives and 33.6K modems. Look how far we're come!

lunchbox
03-10-2008, 07:04 PM
We'd go ga-ga over 4X speed CD-ROM drives and 33.6K modems. Look how far we're come!
I remember when we had to use CD caddy and modems were measured in 'baud'

At least I always had a monitor and "graphics"

Now, I'm typing this on a laptop that is 1680x1050, full keyboard + number pad....

Golden_Rule
03-11-2008, 11:05 AM
First experience, time share on Rutgers IBM 360 vax unit via smart terminal with 300 baud acoustic coupled modem. Storage of files to paper tape.

Even a small program would require this long roll of yellow paper tape that had to be rolled up or folded carefully to store. Cards were much easier to store but had to remain in order.

:)

MsQwerty
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I got myself one of these just before Xmas - not one person has asked me about it!
I love it though - except my power cable has broken and no shops here sell them...

So I took my Asus EEE PC to a technology trade show in Vegas this week. I lost track of the number of people who asked me about at around 100. Even at the airport where they require taking out your laptops, the people at the security lines were like wow, how cool, smallest laptop they have ever seen and held up the line to look at it. I am sure I sold several dozen via word of mouth. I think Asus should cut me a commission check.

xdamage
04-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Asus has been advertising on their website the availability of power supplies, extra batteries, and a few other goodies for a while now, but every time I have checked the site says available soonish. I think they are having trouble keeping up with the demand. Perhaps if you contacted them directly?

cherryripeboy
04-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I got myself one of these just before Xmas - not one person has asked me about it!
I love it though - except my power cable has broken and no shops here sell them...

The bit that goes into the laptop or the bit in the laptop?

If it is the bit that goes into the laptop, find a guy that does mod-chips for video game systems, and see if they will operate, you will likely need a plug from jaycar/dick smith/tandy. If that is the bit that is broken.

I paid $AUD20 to have my power cord fixed. The dc plug at the end was broken.

I also had trouble with the dcjack... another 20 bucks as I could do the disassembly myself.

evan_essence
04-17-2008, 09:14 PM
... the geek in me can't help but feel that I need to replace the built-in Linux OS with Windows XP.Did you ever get that accomplished?

If only you'd waited and spent more.
http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/Asus%5FEee%5FPC%5F4GX%5FWindows%5FXP%5FUnboxing%5F Preview/

-Eva

xdamage
04-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Did you ever get that accomplished?

If only you'd waited and spent more.
http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/Asus%5FEee%5FPC%5F4GX%5FWindows%5FXP%5FUnboxing%5F Preview/

-Eva

Yes, I did. There was nothing wrong with Linux, but there are a few Windows Apps I needed, including iTunes and eWallet.

In fact, I did one step better and used a free tool called nLite to build a stripped down copy of XP Home, removing features I don't need. The whole thing, along with Outlook/Word/Excel 2003, Skype, Pidgen for IM, ITunes, ewallet, Java, Freemind, and a few applications I needed, fits in about 2GB with drive compression turned on.

I love my EEE PC more and more.

Mr Hyde
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Next time you see him, make sure you do what these guys did...

http://improveverywhere.com/2008/02/25/mobile-desktop/

Pulsenflow
05-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Was it an Asus Tek EePC
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24