PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my iPod?!

Lady Jade
03-15-2008, 06:37 AM
waesd

JoeUnCool
03-15-2008, 08:20 AM
See if you USB port is either turned off or somehow broken. Does a flash drive work in the same port?

Mr. UnCool

xdamage
03-15-2008, 09:06 AM
A few thoughts...

1) They do go bad so it may not be possible to fix it, but you could try...

2) Perform a FULL reset (not a partial reset) of the iPod. I forget how, but the info is on Apple's website which buttons to push. I forget if that resets the contents, it may, in which case you'll need to plug it back and re-sync it with iTunes (i.e., transfers all songs to it again).

3) Try running Apple's iPod update utility which will upgrade the firmware on the iPod to the latest version. I doubt it will help, but that tools also runs some basic diagnostics.

4) Try to reformat the iPod (which I believe you can optionally do via #3 above). This will of course wipe the drive of data, but you can resync it with iTunes if it works.

SportsWriter2
03-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Larger hard drive iPods need more power than your USB port provides. The standard USB spec is 5v, 500mA. Laptops typically have underpowered USB ports.

Inexpensive laptop solution: Buy a multi-port USB hub with AC power adapter that offers up to 2000mA.

Lunarobverse
03-15-2008, 11:21 AM
This is how you reset an iPod (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705) without having to plug it in and have iTunes recognize it.

Can you create a new account on your laptop and try plugging it in? If it works, then it's not the iPod nor the computer hardware, but a software problem.

If it's software, then it's just a matter of reinstalling everything until somethin' starts working again. Also, ugh, because that's a pain in the arse.

SportsWriter2
03-15-2008, 01:37 PM
That sounds plausable, but... why would the damn thing wait a year to crap out after functioning totally fine?
Your iPod's power requirement out of the box is right at the USB limit. As connections oxidize, the iPod requires more power input and the USB port delivers less power output. Eventually some or all of the functions won't work. :-\

xdamage
03-15-2008, 02:35 PM
If it's a USB power problem then you can try a self-powered USB 2.0 hub (i.e., one that must be plugged into the wall and provides it's own power). If that doesn't fix it, hopefully you can return the hub.

SportsWriter2
03-15-2008, 02:46 PM
How 'bout you buy me one of those USB thingees and I send you cookies? :)
Well... I have some trust issues. :-\

Casual Observer
03-16-2008, 07:12 AM
iPods, for all their Jobsian-RDF inspired glory, have a very high failure rate. Yours just might be dead.

Time to really Think Different and get something else; I recommend the Sansa players.

SportsWriter2
03-16-2008, 09:57 AM
C'mon, enough SWers have ordered cookies from me that if I *was* some sort of crazy, they'd be dead or stalked by now!
Two Girl Scouts just played me for cookies at $8/lb. Maybe Eliot or TOO can buy your stuff. And CO is right: sansa is more dependable.

Casual Observer
03-16-2008, 01:03 PM
^ This is a good, 16GB model. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8553433&st=sansa&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1188561248346)

SportsWriter2
03-17-2008, 04:50 AM
ACK! Not nearly enough room for all my music/videos/pictures! Unless, of course, you'd like to buy it for me. :)
And the 2008 winner for Best Sense of Entitlement is

Lady Jade

yoda57us
03-17-2008, 08:05 AM
iPods, for all their Jobsian-RDF inspired glory, have a very high failure rate. Yours just might be dead.

Time to really Think Different and get something else; I recommend the Sansa players.

Yup, Ipods suck. I work with people who insist on trying to use them in critical playback applications and they get F'd over more often than not. I have a ZOOM player/recorder that uses memory cards. It's not as slick looking as an IPOD but it does nothing but work every time I press play or record and it goes for days on a pair of aa's!

xdamage
03-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm loving my iPod 5g. I've had it since December 2005. The battery life is not what it was, but I knew that would happen in time. I also have a shuffle for exercise time.

That said, if you read the Apple support forums, iPod's are not trouble free, and I've come across several bugs in iTunes and the iPod firmware myself. But the question is... are any of these devices really trouble free? Or is it the case of iPod ubiquity also leads to a larger number of problem posts and greater awareness of issues?

The problem is no manufacturer of these devices willingly publishes return rate info, and most down play problem reports. They fix them in quiet, and hope that the flaws and failings are below "the threshold". What is the "threshold"?

It is the reality of consumer grade Engineering. Companies build things trying to find a balance between cost to manufacture, reliability, and long term, hopefully sell you a new model. They don't make these things to last indefinitely. And whether it is due to wear and tear, or feature obsolescence, Apple is like most other companies who don't plan on you using the product you buy today forever. They just don't make any money this year off what you bought last year.

p.s. Also the harddrives in the iPod models that have them will eventually fail. Electronics will ultimately fail too, but the hard drives are mechanical and they simply don't last indefinitely. The models with flash only memory may last longer on average, but as you can see, they offer less storage per $, so it's a trade off.

rockie
03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
All small digital audio/video equipment tends to have issues and a shorter lifespan than other electronics. One option to look at is the Microsoft Zune, which has 30G and 80G models that are better priced and better performers overall than the ipod. Cowon also has some alternative options for you as well. Consider reducing your large gigabyte needs by storing some of your audio/video on a backup drive. There is software available than can reduce video file size as well, without causing issue for replay quality on your player. Ipod is number 1 in my pink dominated household, but I despise the product. I have all the discards - the ones that work flawlessly! I'd recommend an Archos, but I think only a blue side male can like it! I don't own an Apple computer, but have nothing but respect for that particular product line. Good Luck!