PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Zune! Screw the Apple mp3 monopoly!

Biggieman
05-26-2008, 11:36 PM
80GB Zune. Pretty solid. Liking it so far.

That is all. Anyone else not joining the iPod/iTunes world domination tour?

i.breathe.in
05-27-2008, 07:53 AM
theres a million mp3 players out there besides apple products....and a lot are better then zune.

that being said, im an apple lover. ;)

joannabell
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Good call! My ipod battery life SUCKS now that I've had it for a while. Of course that could be since it's a refurb, but still

i.breathe.in
05-27-2008, 02:30 PM
my ipod is 4 years old and going strong...

Biggieman
05-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Well goodie for you and your iPod! :P

i.breathe.in
05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Well goodie for you and your iPod! :P

damn right!

hey you want to buy my Hp pavillion lappy? i need a macbook badly i hate this thing so much!

}:D

Biggieman
05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Cute.

Casual Observer
05-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Anything But iPod (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/)

Lots of good reviews there.

goethe
05-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Like all trendy things before them, ipods are starting to symbolize a lack of personal style and taste. At my gym nobody but the old ladies wear white earbuds anymore.

Jenny
05-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Like all trendy things before them, ipods are starting to symbolize a lack of personal style and taste. At my gym nobody but the old ladies wear white earbuds anymore.So ipods are not hot anymore? I can see why people who are all about individualism would eschew a product because it is not longer stylish.

I lost my ipod weeks ago. I was looking at other things, but the ipod kind of seems like the best deal, gig for gig. Plus I actually like itunes. So I will probably go with one again. I don't buy online music though; I imagine that makes a difference when deciding.

GenWar
05-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Plus I actually like itunes.

See...this is part of why you are so hawt.

Rebellious to the point of contrary.

-gen

goethe
05-29-2008, 07:20 AM
So ipods are not hot anymore?

As far as style goes, I think ipods are too "safe" to be hot anymore. A style choice has to be a little risky or it doesn't imply confidence. And confidence is cool or, um, hot. One of those.

i.breathe.in
05-29-2008, 09:47 AM
fuck style, mine just works well, and i also like itunes. it never comes out of my glovebox becuase its hooked to my car stereo. the only time it comes out is to get new music loaded.

i never understood the whole style thing for gadgets.

Jenny
05-29-2008, 10:27 AM
As far as style goes, I think ipods are too "safe" to be hot anymore. A style choice has to be a little risky or it doesn't imply confidence. And confidence is cool or, um, hot. One of those.I was teasing; I think there are lots of people who buy their gadgets on other criteria (like cost) and just buy little casey things from style purposes.

goethe
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
You know how Christians wear those bracelets with WWJD on them that they consult before making a decision? My imaginary one says WWJBD -- what would James Bond do. After consulting it I've decided I can't do "little casey things." Ideally, I want a mp3 player with backscatter X-ray and a retractable dagger.

virgoamm
05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
So ipods are not hot anymore? I can see why people who are all about individualism would eschew a product because it is not longer stylish.

:rotfl: That's fucking awesome.

evan_essence
05-30-2008, 08:12 PM
80GB Zune. Pretty solid. Liking it so far.

That is all. Anyone else not joining the iPod/iTunes world domination tour?
Urm, I'm confused. Isn't Zune part of the Microsoft world domination tour? I suppose if we all bought Zunes and Macs, we could flip Apple's and Microsoft's strongholds around.

I personally hate the limitations of both Apple's proprietary file format (AAC) and Microsoft's (WMA). Apple's AAC won't play on Zune, and WMA won't play on iPod. And you can't convert them to the more universal MP3 format for other devices. Even though AAC and WMA are probably technically better, give me a non-copy protected MP3 file that plays on any device anytime.

But that's me. If what you have makes ya happy, good on ya.

-Ev

xdamage
05-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Three funny words (when put together) -"Play For Sure"

evan_essence
06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Three funny words (when put together) -"Play For Sure"Has been done away with.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204802192

PFS was Microsoft's marketing gimmick to label their own proprietary Digital Rights Management technology as something other than what it was. They were copy protected files that restricted the uses you could put them to. Restricted to play on Microsoft licensed devices. Non-DRM'd MP3s play on any device, which is exactly the real plays-for-sure scenario that the recording industry and companies licensing DRM don't want you to have.

Amazon has wisely decided to put its efforts into selling non-copy-protected downloads.

-Ev

xdamage
06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes which makes me wonder when they will realize Zune isn't making them money, they grow bored with it, and drop the ball on that too.

Chili Palmer
06-05-2008, 10:35 AM
So this begs the question: What type of device should I buy? I've never owned an IPOD or any type of MP3 player. I could not care less about about Mac vs. PC wars, or who gets my money. I just want a solid MP3 player that will give me access to the most music, at the best price. What say you?

CP

Jenny
06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Well the zune is not available here yet, but last time I bought I made a little spreadsheet, and the ipod classic was the best value per gig. By quite a lot, if I remember correctly.

The other thing would be if you already use itunes. I don't buy music online, so the whole digital rights management issue is a little out of my purview.

GenWar
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
CP:

What format is your music? Is it downloaded MP3s? CDs? a personal vinyl collection with every Disco song ever recorded?

Ipods, whether cool or not, mandate the use of iTunes. For someone not in the "scene", iTunes is probably a pretty useful and fun application. Personally, there are few things on this earth I hate more than iTunes. For that reason, I would be hard pressed to recommend any Apple MP3 product.

If you have a bunch of MP3s or a bunch of CDs you want to rip into a bunch of MP3s, I think an offbrand device might the simpliest or easiest to use. Drag, drop and play. Plus, they tend to be cheaper than the "name" brand, Jenny's analysis notwithstanding...

Still, if you are not "in" to computers and just want to buy something, plug it in, BUY (<--- operative word) music and go, iPods are tough to beat.

-gen

Jenny
06-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I've heard so many people say they hate itunes. I don't get it. Why does one hate itunes? What is there to hate about itunes? If there is something to dislike about something I want to know about it.

i.breathe.in
06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
well the songs are in m4r format not mp3, so you cant make them compatable with a lot of things unless you convert the files. i found that i cannot buy ringotnes on itunes and use them on my blackberry since blackberry and iphone are rivals...that kind of sucks.

Jenny
06-05-2008, 03:05 PM
well the songs are in m4r format not mp3, so you cant make them compatable with a lot of things unless you convert the files. you mean the songs you buy?

i.breathe.in
06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
any song you buy on itunes is m4r. ringtone or otherwise.

xdamage
06-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Some of the songs you buy on iTunes are DRM free now as there is increasing pressure from the likes of Amazon and Walmart to sell music that can be played on non-Apple devices.

There are certain things about the iTunes UI that annoyed me, but it didn't take long to get use to them. I wouldn't even say they are fundamentally wrong, just different then say, Media Player. Either can be learned. That past me, iTunes works fine for me as my music player.

Chili Palmer
06-05-2008, 06:37 PM
CP:

What format is your music? Is it downloaded MP3s? CDs? a personal vinyl collection with every Disco song ever recorded?

Ipods, whether cool or not, mandate the use of iTunes. For someone not in the "scene", iTunes is probably a pretty useful and fun application. Personally, there are few things on this earth I hate more than iTunes. For that reason, I would be hard pressed to recommend any Apple MP3 product.

If you have a bunch of MP3s or a bunch of CDs you want to rip into a bunch of MP3s, I think an offbrand device might the simpliest or easiest to use. Drag, drop and play. Plus, they tend to be cheaper than the "name" brand, Jenny's analysis notwithstanding...

Still, if you are not "in" to computers and just want to buy something, plug it in, BUY (<--- operative word) music and go, iPods are tough to beat.

-gen

gen:

Thanks for the guidance.

I have zero songs downloaded from the net. Having grown up in the music business, I could not bring myself to use Napster or any other file "sharing" program to take songs without paying for them.

I do, however, have a shitload of music CDs I'd love to rip (drag & drop would be great), plus whereever I can buy songs legally, be it iTunes or elsewhere. I'm not a super computer geek, so I really don't want to fuck with a lot of stuff; if I can't use a USB port or something similarly easy to connect, then I probably just won't use it.

Jenny said she felt iTunes made the most sense from a cost per song perspective; do you agree?

Suggestions?

CP

azdd
06-05-2008, 11:26 PM
So this begs the question: What type of device should I buy? I've never owned an IPOD or any type of MP3 player. I could not care less about about Mac vs. PC wars, or who gets my money. I just want a solid MP3 player that will give me access to the most music, at the best price. What say you?

CP

I have a 30G video Ipod that is a couple of years old. It still works great except that 95% of my use is in my car with an I-Trip to play it through my FM radio, so the battery is now basically shot from constant charging. It will still play music for hours unplugged, but if I try to play video it dies in about 5 minutes.

I happen to like Itunes, and I like the Ipod interface. The other thing I like is my Bose Sounddock speaker. The Ipod plugs right into it for really great sound. Put together a playlist of great music (See Sexy Songs thread in pink for ideas), and you've got yourself one awesome OTC soundtrack.....}:D

xdamage
06-06-2008, 05:10 AM
I do, however, have a shitload of music CDs I'd love to rip (drag & drop would be great), plus whereever I can buy songs legally, be it iTunes or elsewhere. I'm not a super computer geek, so I really don't want to fuck with a lot of stuff; if I can't use a USB port or something similarly easy to connect, then I probably just won't use it.

It works like you'd expect. You put a disk in, click on a button to copy the CD. iTunes automatically finds most CDs in the database Apple is using and so tags the songs with appropriate names (e.g., author, album, song, etc.). For most CDs iTunes also automatically downloads cover art (a picture of the CD or album cover).

Buried in a preferences menu you can select what format to use for RIPping your music (e.g., MP3, or Apple's AAC), compression rate, etc. It is something you most likely set once then forget it.

GenWar
06-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I've heard so many people say they hate itunes. I don't get it. Why does one hate itunes? What is there to hate about itunes? If there is something to dislike about something I want to know about it.

My hatred of iTunes is based on its being mandatory to use with iPods and its difficulty in working with music. I would much prefer a Mp3 player that simply appeared as a drive in my system and I could drag and drop my music and organize it as I saw fit. Having NEVER bought any music from iTunes for my iPod, I find its systems of syncing and loading music to be cumbersome and annoying.

Jenny said she felt iTunes made the most sense from a cost per song perspective; do you agree?

Suggestions?

CP

You know, for someone who is going to buy music from iTunes, I think the iPod system is probably ok. It is pretty easy to use in that sense...it is loading your own music that is painful. Even so, it isn't THAT painful, especially for someone who is not a computer geek elitist such as myself. Especially when you consider the CD ripping functionality which I have never used myself.

Given your circumstances and assuming cost is not a major factor, I would say that an iPod would not be a bad choice.

Just my thoughts...

-gen