PDA

View Full Version : Smart Car

xdamage
06-06-2008, 08:17 AM
One of the guys at work bought one. It is ... hmm... it would be a reasonable thing to drive short distances in, say a city driver, but I have my doubts about being in one on the freeway at 65mph+.

Inside there is as much room as any sub-compact for two people, but then you look around and realize there is only about a foot of space between your feet and the front of the car, a bit more in back, and thin body panels for doors. It is of course noisy, shaky, and feels tiny at higher speeds, but for a grocery getter it is adequate. Powered by a 80HP engine, it is enough, but barely (then again my first car, a VW 411 didn't have much more then that, and the VW Bugs managed to get around on half that).

Gas mileage isn't as good as the Prius, but there is no battery waiting to be replaced in this at several thousands of dollars. It is just efficient by being 1800 pounds, and having a small engine with limited power.

Still, it is hard not to ask, for the price of it (about $13K) why not a Toyota Yaris instead? Lower price, similar gas mileage, a bit more car. But less style? Well that is in the eyes of the beholder. The Smart Car clearly turns heads where the Yaris looks like a smaller Tercel.

I'm guessing you'll be seeing more of these around your neighborhood too.

AmazingKat
06-06-2008, 07:05 PM
blah blah blah yakey shmakey

FJRider
06-07-2008, 01:12 AM
I passed more then a few of them on the autobahn in germany I was doing about 110 and they where all doing over 80 But then again the drivers in germany do pay a lot more attention. Really they are all over the place and you see them on ALL of the autobahns. They cost to much for me for what they give. When I want to have a little 2 seat I just get on my motorcycle
D

ColetteCalahan
06-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Hehehe... there's one outside my house right now!!!! lemme see if I can get a pic of it.... yeah, my neighbor just bought one. Sometimes it and my bike share a parking spot... not bad! He says it's a great car for what it is, but at high speeds it doesn't feel terribly safe. The suspension was better than expected, though.

FBR
06-08-2008, 01:55 PM
If one of them parks behind me I hope the back up sensors on my Escalade are working.

I know I have to downsize at some point but if the Smart is the future kill me now.

FBR

GenWar
06-08-2008, 04:47 PM
FBR:

Nah. Don't worry...they are already appealing to us...

http://www.lexus.com/models/RXh/
http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe/#tahoe-hybrid

By the time I upgrade (2010), just imagine the possibilities.

-gen

FBR
06-08-2008, 06:07 PM
FBR:

Nah. Don't worry...they are already appealing to us...

http://www.lexus.com/models/RXh/
http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe/#tahoe-hybrid

By the time I upgrade (2010), just imagine the possibilities.

-genMy lease expires early in '09. I am looking at the Escalade Hybrid and also the new BRX smaller CUV. Depends on the timing.

FBR

xdamage
06-09-2008, 10:13 AM
If one of them parks behind me I hope the back up sensors on my Escalade are working.

I know I have to downsize at some point but if the Smart is the future kill me now.

FBR

Probably not Smart Cars, but probably yes to even smaller sub-compacts.

Here is an interesting article as to what was popular in Europe in 2006 -

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jan2007/gb20070119_132541.htm?chan=search

Smart Car sales are dropping if anything in Europe, but small car sales are healthy. From what I have been told by my European friends, one of the reasons you don't see many Smart Cars as compared with other popular small models is they have a pretty crappy reputation for being, well, crappy. The rumor is most don't last a year before they are in the shop for engine repairs or other major work. Maybe the new versions in the USA will fair better?

I think we have to face facts though... the days of large SUVs are increasingly numbered, likely to go the way of the sports cars, available, but thought of as a luxury item.

TheSexKitten
06-09-2008, 06:13 PM
For everyone talking about safety, smart cars actually measure up very well in comparison to larger cars.

The thing that I don't like about them is the lame mileage. For its size and for these times, that thing should be able to do WAAAY better. But of course the other 3+ engine options typically available with the smart cars aren't available in the United States. ::)

FBR
06-09-2008, 08:27 PM
For everyone talking about safety, smart cars actually measure up very well in comparison to larger cars.

Really? I didn't know that. They seem so vulnerable, visually.

The thing that I don't like about them is the lame mileage. For its size and for these times, that thing should be able to do WAAAY better. But of course the other 3+ engine options typically available with the smart cars aren't available in the United States. ::) I've read the same thing that there are a number of sub-compacts that offer mileage close to the Smart but feel more substantial and safe on the road.

FBR

Moneywise
06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I currently drive a Dodge Charger RT with the 5.7 Hemi in it. Although I complain about gas prices like the next person, I usually drive like a bat outta hell so I really don't have much leg to stand on. All that said, I am seriously considering buying this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTcdfkihE4) in a couple of years when the technology has been perfected (or a better brand of car with the same technology built in). I'm all excited about an electric car that doesn't make me look like the black version of George Jetson when behind the wheel. :P

I spent 5 years in Germany. They have cars over there that make the Smart Car look huge in comparison & they roll em proudly. The Euros are so much further ahead of us in that respect.

DeftonesGrl
06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I just....can't wrap my head around the $13k sticker price when you could buy so many other cars....

FBR
07-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm all excited about an electric car that doesn't make me look like the black version of George Jetson when behind the wheel. :P

LOL MW. But wait, that could mean you could get a job at Spacely's Space Sprockets. I mean, that could be a golden career opportunity :P

FBR

mskid
08-05-2016, 08:20 AM
LOL MW. But wait, that could mean you could get a job at Spacely's Space Sprockets. I mean, that could be a golden career opportunity

FBR