PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone

Richard_Head
06-09-2008, 10:54 PM
The new iPhone is coming out on July 11, this version will go for $199, at that price I just may bite. Anybody else? Anybody got any suggestions on other similar phones?

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/06/10/iphone_promises_more_for_less/

xdamage
06-10-2008, 12:18 AM
I already have 3G data speeds, and GPS on my HTC Tilt phone, so ... no upgrade for me. But for $199 that is very competitive price, and a decent feature set.

azdd
06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
The new iPhone is coming out on July 11, this version will go for $199, at that price I just may bite. Anybody else? Anybody got any suggestions on other similar phones?

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/06/10/iphone_promises_more_for_less/

Yeah, I've been thinking of taking the plunge with an iPhone, but haven't yet. One comment I've heard is that the service plans for the new iPhones will be higher because of the GPS capability.

A friend gave me a pretty thorough tour of their iPhone, and let me fool around with it for awhile and I have to admit it was impressive in features, interface, etc.

i.breathe.in
06-11-2008, 06:07 AM
if they were coming out for t mobile id bite.

Moneywise
06-15-2008, 12:23 PM

I've been using the ATT Tilt (8925) for about 8 months. When considering the upgrade from my 8525 I did a side by side comparison of the Tilt and iPhone. There was no comparison. IMO the Tilt is clearly a league ahead of the cutesy iPhone. I guess if you want wow factor over powerful functionality then you go for the iPhone.

Click to watch a Tilt review. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvhNvjxrif4)

Bob_Loblaw
06-15-2008, 12:41 PM
The Tilt looks interesting though I wish the screen tilted the other way so the directional buttons were "right handed."

i.breathe.in
06-15-2008, 01:47 PM
i hear that both models of the iphone dont have the cc feature on email and they dont copy and paste things. i thought that was quite odd...

PrettyCurlieQ
06-15-2008, 02:13 PM
I borrowed an iPhone at work one night after dropping my cell in the toilet. I felt like I was talking on a calculator. And I kept hitting some button and I couldn't get back to wherever you're supposed to be to make a call. I cannot possibly consider myself old-fashioned just yet, but geez I'm feeling old using some people's technology. I'm not ready for a new iPhone.

GenWar
06-16-2008, 07:07 AM
I guess if you want wow factor over powerful functionality then you go for the iPhone.

Exactly. That pretty much sums it up. I do not REALLY tax my phone's abilities...I have a iPod, notepad, calculator, GPS (on my car), work computer, home computer, laptop, digital camera, etc. that I use when I need them for their intended purposes...I don't often need my phone for any of those things.

Instead, I really enjoy the feeling of being at a party and having some chick go, "ohmigod, your phone is SOOOO cool. What is it? Can I see it?" I wouldn't think so but after a year, the old and tired iPhone still has that effect.

-gen

shasta
06-16-2008, 07:12 AM
I am with att and I am getting one. I am not up for a new phone:( so i will be paying full price.

Moneywise
06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
LOL... In that case I just need it to take down a number or two and perhaps slip in a few indecent photos if presented with that opportunity. I don't need em trippin over my phone. I would prefer they marvel over other things.
Exactly. That pretty much sums it up. I do not REALLY tax my phone's abilities...I have a iPod, notepad, calculator, GPS (on my car), work computer, home computer, laptop, digital camera, etc. that I use when I need them for their intended purposes...I don't often need my phone for any of those things.

Instead, I really enjoy the feeling of being at a party and having some chick go, "ohmigod, your phone is SOOOO cool. What is it? Can I see it?" I wouldn't think so but after a year, the old and tired iPhone still has that effect.

-gen

Moneywise
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Things I use the 8925 for:

Camera - The 3 megapixel camera takes great pictures and keeps me from having to tote yet another device with to capture those Kodak moments. I have a wealth of pictures taken with it on my PC. Excellent quality. In the iPhone's defense it takes pretty good pictures too. (friend has one)

Net - I find myself checking the net often during the day when I am in between productive moments. I sent that reply to Genwar from a bathroom stall. ;D

Wifi - I admittedly don't use this often since I pay for an unlimited data plan with ATT but it's a nice perk to have.

GPS - I have Garmin Mobile XT installed and can say without a doubt, this this is top notch at distributing a robust experience to keep you on point in the car. If anyone gets an 8925 don't go with Telenav. You end up paying a lame monthly feel of $10 for that crap. Garmin Mobile XT was a one time purchase ($100). map and software updates are performed over the internet. Otherwise it just interacts directly with the internal GPS for smoothe guidance. For less that 10 bones I also purchased this a/c vent mount (http://www.buygpsnow.com/arkon-universal-pda-vent-mount-w-360-swivel-vent-mount-pedestal-2nd-generation-317.aspx) that allows me to plug it into my car adapter, seat it, and go. very convenient.. and, again, one device.

MP3 - I strictly wear my armband when I work out. It has a small mp3 player attached to some hi fi headphones. When I am anywhere else and I want to hear music I just go with the 8925. If I am out walking the dog I usually have these (http://blog.treonauts.com/MotorolaS9Bluetooth01.jpg) on and the 8925 maxed out with some ear deafening hip hop flowing.

Email - My 8925 checks my mail at preset intervals and notifies me of new mail via Microsoft Exchange. I prefer the slide out tile action of the 8925 over the iPhone interface. The 8925 is only 2nd to my Blackberry where it pertains to ease of email usage.

Tweak Factor - I have a number of third party apps on my 8925 and am an old school tweaker. Not only do I enjoy tweaking my PC, I pretty much enjoy tweaking any device I get my hands on.

Movies - Yes, I have some select MPEG movies on the storage card that I may have played in the company of others on an occasion or two. That's about all I wil say about that. Sit it down, tilt it up, and enjoy a rich movie experience. The sound is surprisingly good for a phone.

Tethering to a laptop - I've tethered my 8925 to my work laptop at an airport and was able to utilize the unlimited 3G data plan nicely. I really like this feature. (could have used the work BB but tested out the 8925)

I probably don't use the 8925 for all that it can be used for but I am very happy with it. The iPhone is very sexy. I almost want to toss a twenty at it when I see it. Yet still, the 8925 is the king of this domain. :P

Bob_Loblaw
07-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Canadians protest against Rogers price plan gouging on iPhone rates (http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/06/29/9000-canadians-petition-steve-jobs-for-iphone-rate-relief/)

And here's a local tv news spot on the story. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtquG_MxbhY)

shasta
07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Seven days to go! I am still excited about my sexy new iphone!

Bob_Loblaw
07-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Unhappy with the negative press over Rogers' plans for the iPhone in Canada, it appears Apple and Rogers may have had a falling out resulting in Apple redirecting the majority of its shipments of 3G phones to Europe. (http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/07/07/apple-rogers-falling-out-a-story-too-good-to-be-true/)

shasta
07-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Still excited!!

Richard_Head
07-15-2008, 11:10 PM
So who got one? Any reviews?

shasta
07-16-2008, 04:29 AM
I love mine!

GenWar
07-16-2008, 10:58 AM
waiting for the server demand to die down. :)

-gen

fancygirl
07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I heard the battery dies a lot faster on the new on than the old one.

Taco Goblin
07-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Some of the "apps" sound interesting.. most notably Yahoo Radio.. where I could be in L.A. listening to K-Rock out of New York... buuuuuuuut.. doesn't that eat up data?? Or do these plans come with unlimited data usage or something.

I dunno.. I'm pretty simple.. I still like my phone to have a phone feel.. and I just don't use my phone for all these different things. I can get gmail and google maps on my current phone.. ehhhh..

fancygirl
08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
any reviews on the new iphone?

I still have the old iphone. I like it a lot better after I got the rubber cover so that
a) I can grip it better in one hand, or put it on the car dash without it sliding around
and
b) if it falls it doesn't break, or, in the case of the plastic cover, bust open and spill the phone out onto the concrete.

Bob_Loblaw
08-27-2008, 12:35 AM
any reviews on the new iphone?
Just waiting for it to arrive. I was planning on going for the Blackberry Bold but the iPhone deal I was offered by my carrier was too good to pass up.

azdd
08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Just waiting for it to arrive. I was planning on going for the Blackberry Bold but the iPhone deal I was offered by my carrier was too good to pass up.

Isn't AT&T the only carrier for iPhones? What was the deal, and is it available to anyone, or is it part of a corporate or other private plan?

Bob_Loblaw
08-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh, I'm in Canada. Rogers has the exclusive for iPhones up here.

Bob_Loblaw
10-14-2008, 10:44 AM
So I've had my phone for a while and I've warmed up to it. My biggest concern was switching to the touch screen keyboard... I've gotten the hang of it and I've got no problem with it whatsoever. The camera sucks though since there's no zoom function and it doesn't come with a video camera application. Navigation on the web is pretty good though the application does close itself once in a while. Also, while I haven't had problems with calls dropping per se, sometimes calls don't come through. Like my phone will ring and I'll answer but no one will be there.

Overall, the phone is alright. It's a nice toy and despite the few bugs, it's not enough for me to want to return it.

xdamage
10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
There was one application for Windows Mobile I really needed and it is now finally available for the iPhone. So I'll probably get one next time I upgrade. But for now my HTC phone works. Still, it is no where near as slick.

thelovelylenee
10-15-2008, 08:01 PM
oh so sorries if im not spose to be here but ...i love my iphone i have the 8 while my hubby has the 3g and i hate his !!! not really the phone but the screen seems sooo sensitive like if im talking i'll get hung on because i found that my cheek hits the damn mute button but if i hide the screen i'll push butoons through an entire converstaion it's lose/lose>:(