PDA

View Full Version : Christian License plate

CKXXX
06-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Fl is considering a Christian license plate. This is going to be a fight...there was a HUGE outcry here when they started offering the pro life plates. They still have them because the state argued it was not pro life..but pro adoption. But everyone knows what it is...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/24/license.plate.ap/index.html

Picture of what the plate will look like:

RoseLeigh
06-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Why? Seriously? Concealed guns allowed in the cars are not enough of a deterrant to going to Florida?

Paris
06-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Gah! I find that offensive. Why do the Christians get a license plate and not any other religion? Or the atheists? How about a license plate like this?
http://justinsomnia.org/images/atheism-atom-symbol.jpg

CKXXX
06-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Why? Seriously? Concealed guns allowed in the cars are not enough of a deterrant to going to Florida?
Concealed guns are allowed EVERYWHERE here if you have a permit..which only takes a cpl classes to get as long as you arent a felon. The only place you cant take it is bars, or places with no weapons signs up. Hubby has his on him everywhere we go.

RoseLeigh
06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Concealed guns are allowed EVERYWHERE here if you have a permit..which only takes a cpl classes to get as long as you arent a felon. The only place you cant take it is bars, or places with no weapons signs up. Hubby has his on him everywhere we go.

Oh, okay. My uncle made a big deal about having one in his car. I think the combo of armed people and mad religiousness is not a good one either way.

miabella
06-19-2008, 09:35 PM
eh, it's just another vanity plate. the article said they have over 100 kinds of vanity plates. if you want one for other religions (and i'd hazard they already have those, with the sports plates), this is actually the kind of thing a letter writing campaign would work well for.

eta: actually, there's not much call to worry about it after looking the article over more thoroughly. it's not likely to pass as an option. although the way sports fans can get, i still kinda feel they've already covered a bit of religion in the plates.

either way, i'd be happy to see people have the opportunity to buy plates for more classically defined religions, including but not limited to Christianity, and that's a likely outcome if it does go through.

ColetteCalahan
06-19-2008, 09:39 PM
^^ but it IS different... it's not just another 'jesus fish' decal, it's a STATE-regulated thing.

Separation of church and state, anyone?

Yekhefah
06-19-2008, 09:47 PM
That is so illegal. Oh man. I'm surprised the Florida Jewish community isn't shutting this one down... but then, the Jews in Florida are not exactly the most engaged among our community, are they?

miabella
06-19-2008, 11:36 PM
^^ but it IS different... it's not just another 'jesus fish' decal, it's a STATE-regulated thing.

but it's not likely to pass, for that reason, and if it does, it is very likely other religions can get their own specialty plates as well, because there will be a very strong argument for it.

miabella
06-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Well, no. They were. But the bill failed back in early May just before the legislature adjourned for the session.

But just to keep the thread interesting, this link has a fun Stephen Colbert commentary on the plate.

The Florida Legislature Doesn't "Believe" (http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2008/05/florida-legislature-doesnt-believe.html)

And in case the ACLU was relaxing too much, it seems what Florida rejected, South Carolina passed.

S.C. first to get 'I Believe' license plates (http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080614/FEAT04/806140310/-1/archive)

haha, posted before seeing this comment. well, we can now wait for other religions to roll on in with their requests. and either the plate will be dismissed or we'll see some other religious plates real soon now.

RoseLeigh
06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
haha, posted before seeing this comment. well, we can now wait for other religions to roll on in with their requests. and either the plate will be dismissed or we'll see some other religious plates real soon now.

I can't wait to sport my 'Aphrodite rocks my socks' licence plate!

CKXXX
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Defeated? Good. Didnt see that!!

CKXXX
06-20-2008, 12:06 PM
"Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed the lawsuit on behalf of two Christian pastors, a humanist pastor and a rabbi in South Carolina, along with the Hindu American Foundation."

"Republican House Speaker Bobby Harrell .....said. "I think this has less to do with the First Amendment and more to do with their disdain for religion generally."

Yeah...pastors,rabbis,etc.REALLY hate religion!! Did he even LOOK at who was filing?

doc-catfish
06-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Don't you all know that conservative Christians are evolved and the rest of us heathens and backsliders are just their pe-ons? We should be thankful to see their Christian vanity plates as they slow us down on the freeway.

Personally, I think they should just get rid of vanity license plates altogether, yes, ALL of them. A license plate's function is for vehicle identity after all, not for show. If one wants to express themselves, they should get a bracket for their plate or a bumper sticker.

jester214
06-21-2008, 12:11 AM

"separation of church and state".... I hate that term, people throw it around like it's some kind of law. It's not. It was a term coined by Jefferson in a LETTER to a group of Baptist Priests.

LadyLuck
06-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Funny this should get posted this week because I was just reading about some study that showed that people with vanity plates are much more likely to experience road rage.

The study explained that for whatever reason there is a connection between people who feel they "own" the road and those who put vanity plates on their cars.

miabella
06-21-2008, 01:13 AM
that is interesting. i suppose it makes sense. if you care enough to pay extra for omgawsum as your plate, you are probably going to a bit cross that others dare drive on your road. you paid extra, after all!

sounds like some SC customers, heh...

CKXXX
06-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Meh..I have a Humane Society plate and I'm a pretty good driver(esp when you consider what I'm on the road with in South FL!!)

It just makes me happy to help the animals any way I can...esp since I cant afford to donate any more right now.

I want to volunteer somewhere...I miss working with animals SO much. A piece of my soul died when I quit being a tech..and I didnt even realize it until years later.

xdamage
06-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Thank you for writing what I wanted to write.

madmaxine
06-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Random thought- why would someone have a vanity plate like that in a state with a high crime rate.....? It seems like ear-marking one's vehicle as "Steal/carjack me, I probably won't fight back. I'm too high-minded."

(Relevant because the communities I grew up around- Stockton, Modesto (#1 for 2008 ), Fresno, California- have some of the highest car theft rates in the nation. The average car owner has a car alarm and an awareness that one's car will be meddled with sooner or later.)

Lexi
06-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Funny this should get posted this week because I was just reading about some study that showed that people with vanity plates are much more likely to experience road rage.

The study explained that for whatever reason there is a connection between people who feel they "own" the road and those who put vanity plates on their cars.

LOL I believe it!

FBR
06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
I am thrifty. License plates are a tax and vanity plates are even more expensive. I can't see giving the government more of my hard earned money even if I had some burning sentiment I wanted to share with the general public.

FBR

Corgan
06-23-2008, 05:44 PM
does god need a label to see if you're worthing of saving when the rapture comes?? i mean, if you're driving when the time comes you surely need this right?

seriously now...

LadyLuck
06-23-2008, 06:50 PM
does god need a label to see if you're worthing of saving when the rapture comes?? i mean, if you're driving when the time comes you surely need this right?

seriously now...

Thanks for the very Carlin sounding joke, Corgan. I really needed that at this very moment in time.

Jeska
06-24-2008, 01:59 PM
it's just a license plate, I don't get why it's so offensive.. If you don't like it, just laugh at it like you do with stupid vanity plates and go on with your life.