PDA

View Full Version : New Google browser - Chrome

Richard_Head
09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Anybody try the new Google browser CHROME (http://www.google.com/chrome)?

They got a pretty good write up HERE (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/02/AR2008090202840.html).

Bob_Loblaw
09-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Haven't tried it. I've been perfectly happy with Firefox.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/BobLoblaw61191946/0c1e-firefox.jpg

lestat1
09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry to be the web design nerd here, but Internet Explorer still does the best job at being W3C compliant (IMHO), and does a great job at correcting bad coding and interpreting what the designer intended. I hate, hate, HATE trying to make a web page look as it should in other browsers.

Lapaholic
09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
^^^ I agree leStat. IE is very forgiving and not as anal as FF ( I had to redo a ton of pages because of a client standardizing on FF internally. But still had to work with IE.) . Tho I admit FF 2 is my browser of choice

But i hate the new 3.o version of FF so ill be interested in hearing what others say about Chrome. I wonder too if there is any funny business in the new google browser considering google makes their living though adverts!!! Seems a bit too cozy to me for a browser and search engine to be by the same company.

xdamage
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Curious what you are disliking about FF 3.x. So far the differences are so minor I'd have trouble immediately identifying most.

I love the browser competition though. Leads to better products for us all.

xdamage
09-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Sorry to be the web design nerd here, but Internet Explorer still does the best job at being W3C compliant (IMHO), and does a great job at correcting bad coding and interpreting what the designer intended. I hate, hate, HATE trying to make a web page look as it should in other browsers.

The down side argument is that this also encourages cancer. Cancers grow not because they are good, but because there are no defenses in place to stop them, thus over the long run it is damaging because it requires all browsers to be bloated with code to support bad coding.

lestat1
09-03-2008, 11:17 PM
^^^ I can code a W3C compliant page (they have tests you can run) that looks perfect in IE and like I sneezed up my HTML code in Opera. Netscape doesn't butcher it as badly, but I have to force it to respect my table sizes with hidden images. Firefox I actually haven't tried.

UltraViolet
09-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Hmm....I always had problems with IE crashing no matter what webpage I was on, while FF had no problems with the same pages. But then again, I had that problem with Windows in general. I do not miss it.

I am always up for trying new browsers though, so thanks for the links.

Lapaholic
09-04-2008, 08:40 AM
X i hate the new url history ... it tracks all ur page visits and bring them up in the url drop down. In 2.0 it only shows a history of urls you actually typed in.. Picky I know but I dont like my web hits history just popping up there esp when I hit links from this site ;)

And its been dog slow on my note book. I like the competition too but one of the virtues of FF was its tightness.and spriteness compared to the lethargic and bloated IE ( I like my browser to be like my dancers ha - tight and sprite!)

Casual Observer
09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
IE8 Beta 2 is just as fast as Chrome, and will be compliant with the preponderance of sites out there. That said, Chrome is nice...if you can deal with Google's right-to-spy-on-you EULA.

I get so fucking sick of hearing how IE doesn't pass the ACID tests; fuck those tests--I want to see web pages not some obscure standards benchmark.

xdamage
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
^^^ I can code a W3C compliant page (they have tests you can run) that looks perfect in IE and like I sneezed up my HTML code in Opera. Netscape doesn't butcher it as badly, but I have to force it to respect my table sizes with hidden images. Firefox I actually haven't tried.

Oh well my reply was in regards too "....and does a great job at correcting bad coding and interpreting what the designer intended"

The argument is that is actually bad because the overall impact is that rather then encouraging correcting bad code, it causes bad coding to persist, then spread, ultimately becoming a defacto standard that other browser writers then have to support too.

xdamage
09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
X i hate the new url history ... it tracks all ur page visits and bring them up in the url drop down. In 2.0 it only shows a history of urls you actually typed in.. Picky I know but I dont like my web hits history just popping up there esp when I hit links from this site ;)

I have URL history off so I didn't notice. I did notice it brings up matches form the bookmark list. Kind of cool I guess?

And its been dog slow on my note book. I like the competition too but one of the virtues of FF was its tightness.and spriteness compared to the lethargic and bloated IE ( I like my browser to be like my dancers ha - tight and sprite!)

I haven't yet installed it on my underpowered laptop. Thanks for the warning. I will make a Ghost copy first and if I despise it, rollback to 2.x

Bob_Loblaw
09-04-2008, 08:47 PM
X i hate the new url history ... it tracks all ur page visits and bring them up in the url drop down. In 2.0 it only shows a history of urls you actually typed in.. Picky I know but I dont like my web hits history just popping up there esp when I hit links from this site
It took me a while to figure it out but you need to download the Hide Unvisited add-on (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Clearing+Location+bar+history#I_still_see_items_wi th_a_star_in_the_Location_bar) in order to be able to clear your location bar history.

Lapaholic
09-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Hey thx Bob ... Ill check that out ...

UPDATE:

Yeah that add-on didnt work either .... The FF 3.0 awesome bar is way less than awesome IMHO.... Ill have to uninstall 3.0 and go back to 2.0 if I can find it ....

Smokeless
09-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm almost exclusively Linux and FF, except for the occasional website that requires ActiveX crap or a Windows-only plugin. After too many security problems with IE, I finally ripped it off my wife's machine, wherein FF now resides, and she hasn't yet complained. Unfortunately, I'm so far behind in versions on my laptop, that I can't read some WSJ content now. No time to upgrade.

Bob_Loblaw
09-09-2008, 11:33 PM
UPDATE:
Yeah that add-on didnt work either .... The FF 3.0 awesome bar is way less than awesome IMHO.... Ill have to uninstall 3.0 and go back to 2.0 if I can find it ....
It works fine for me. Are you hitting ctrl-shift-del and selecting clear browsing history?

Lapaholic
09-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah I did - stills show the history of visited urls ( that I have visited since )- which i dont want. I just want urls whose location I type in history. Aaargh... progress! Guess ill have to delete my history more often.