PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV advice?

Richard_Head
10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Any LCD TV experts out there? I've got a Vizio, I've had it less than 2 years (22 months). It's no longer working. Who know how long an LCD TV should last (my warranty was for 1 year)? Is it worth attempting to repair or would I be better off just putting my money towards buying a new one?

mr_punk
10-05-2008, 07:31 PM
i'm getting one myself this year. i'm still trying to decide between plasma or LCD. plasma screens look better and are less expensive compared to a LCD. OTOH, plasma screens are generally limited to the larger screen sizes and use up more power than a LCD. Pioneer and Panasonic are examples of good brands for plasma (ironically, Vizio makes a decent 2nd tier plasma). Samsung and Sony for LCD.

Is it worth attempting to repair or would I be better off just putting my money towards buying a new one?depends on the repair costs. if it's really expensive to repair. i would buy a new one. if not, i would repair it and buy a better model later. anyway, unless your tv was on 24/7 for the last two years. a LCD should last longer. then again, it's a Vizio.

azdd
10-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I like a lot of things about LCDs, but especially that they use less power and don't generate as much heat as plasmas. Plus, my viewing room has a lot of windows and natural light, which makes for lots of reflections on a plasma.

I'm still waiting for prices to go down and LCD sizes to go up. It seemed that just a few months ago, the largest LCD I saw anywhere was about 46", but just a few days ago I saw a 65" LCD in Costco. The only problem was that it was $4299!

yoda57us
10-06-2008, 12:55 PM
In general, Plasmas last longer than LCD's. How long really depends on how much you watch it of course.
To my eye, they also tend to look more realistic. That is really a matter of preference however.

Sadly, it's almost never worth fixing anything nowadays.

Smokeless
10-09-2008, 12:30 AM
For any of you in the West, plasmas don't work at high elevations. And as already suggested, plasmas consume much more electricity.

I've not yet made a purchase of my own, but I've been looking for a year and researching for the past several months. I once thought that LCD's were more difficult to watch, with a slower response time. My neighbor argued that it was more about compression and decompression than the LCD, and some signals (esp. Comcast's) was more compressed. That was until I finally saw a Blu-Ray disk played on a good 1080p LCD. Wow! Even fast motion was clear and undistorted and easy to watch.

As for your old LCD. It could just be the back-lighting bulb, or a controller running it. A friend at work tried to replace the bulb in his lap top with disasterous results. It seemed easy enough. We finally had to call a repair person out to fix it. But, the bulb was replaced and the laptop screen resumed operation.

ahc1978
10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
When I was buying my LCD, no one told me about the power differences between plasma and LCD. Is this just something of concern to you environmentally conscious lap lovers or is it something that actually makes a substantial difference in your power bill?

Bob_Loblaw
10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
In general, Plasmas last longer than LCD's.
Actually, it's the other way around. Typical life span of a plasma (before the picture quality starts to degrade) is around 6-7 years depending on how much you use it. LCDs are supposed to last longer and should be cheaper to repair. Most commonly, it's just the light source that needs replacing. Advancements in technology have narrowed the gap though.

Richard_Head
10-12-2008, 01:12 PM
HDMI anybody? Does it make a noticeable difference?

Bob_Loblaw
10-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Versus analog cables? Hell ya. Versus S-Video? Yes there is. Between DVI & HDMI? Not much.

Monster Cables are a rip off. Electrically, there's nothing different between Monster and a generic brand. You're just paying for the brand name.

DB Cooper
10-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Ditto what Bob said, go with the HDMI cables, but don't pay for the name brand.

And if you get nothing else from reading this guide, you should remember one simple fact: There's no reason to pay extra for HDMI cables. (http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-guide/)

November_Scorpio
10-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Any LCD TV experts out there? I've got a Vizio, I've had it less than 2 years (22 months). It's no longer working. Who know how long an LCD TV should last (my warranty was for 1 year)? Is it worth attempting to repair or would I be better off just putting my money towards buying a new one?

Well you get what you pay for just like you get what you pay for in a strip club. More expensive clubs and dancers cost more, but offer a better club experience. Same rules apply's to TV's. I have a 37" LCD Sony TV I got I want say like 8+ years ago I think? Paid good money for it back then. It is just as good today as the day I bought it, had no problems with it and it has been through probably 1,000+ hours of viewing. When you buy cheap brands like a Vizio instead of a good quality brand like Sony the TV's don't seem to last much beyond the warranty date.

Gia2608
11-04-2016, 08:45 PM
As a rule of thumb, it is cheaper to replace current day electronics than fix them. I was given a 44" LCD TV by a family member; I took it to my summer rental and cracked the screen. The cost to replace the screen was 258.00- I got a 37" brand new TV for 198. Yes, it's smaller but it was my bedroom TV so I don't really care. The only thing is that if it is the power relay; it is like 60-75 bucks to fix. What is wrong with it, does it not power up at all?