PDA

View Full Version : First heavy metal song

tempest666
12-13-2008, 03:05 AM
I was watching an ever so accurate documentary (yeah right) on VH1 Classic and it stated that "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf is considered the first heavy metal song in pop culture. I didn't stick around for the rest, but I'm wondering if its because of the lyrics "I like smoking lightning, heavy metal thunder" or for the guitar rhythms. As a metal fan I am a bit skeptical about this designation. What do you consider the first true metal song and why?

Phil-W
12-13-2008, 06:24 AM
I was watching an ever so accurate documentary (yeah right) on VH1 Classic and it stated that "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf is considered the first heavy metal song in pop culture. I didn't stick around for the rest, but I'm wondering if its because of the lyrics "I like smoking lightning, heavy metal thunder" or for the guitar rhythms. As a metal fan I am a bit skeptical about this designation. What do you consider the first true metal song and why?

I'd nominate the Kinks - "You Really Got Me" as the prototype for heavy metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Really_Got_Me

Phil.

3-Legged Man
12-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm looking forward to the answers on this topic. I guess "You Really Got Me" and "Born To Be Wild" would both qualify. The question would be which was first? And what other contenders are there?

BTW, the VanHalen cover of "You Really Got Me" is one of my favorite songs.

Wait........ you mean Jethro Tull didn't create the first heavy metal song?

Kellydancer
12-13-2008, 12:10 PM
I was watching something, and the critic mentioned Helter Skelter by the Beatles. That came after both Born to be Wild and You Really Got Me, so that's another opinion. I also think Fire by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown had metal elements as well. Then there's Hush by Deep Purple.

houstonn
12-14-2008, 01:40 AM
some people say "inna godda da vida" by Iron Butterfly is the first metal song, in 1968 ...for me, all the songs mentioned so far are not truly metal, and I nominate "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zepplen (very early 1969)

tempest666
12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I've decided that I nominate "Born to be Wild" because of the guitar rhythms.

MrChristopher
12-25-2008, 04:33 PM
I had always heard the same thing about the Steppenwolf song and I too assumed it was because of the use of the term "heavy metal" in the lyrics. Is it true? Is it the first time that term was used in a lyric? Beats me.

crizgolfer
12-25-2008, 05:15 PM
There were songs that were lead-ins to metal, but I think Black Sabbath was the original heavy metal band. Pick any early Sabbath song.

tempest666
12-26-2008, 01:24 AM
I had always heard the same thing about the Steppenwolf song and I too assumed it was because of the use of the term "heavy metal" in the lyrics. Is it true? Is it the first time that term was used in a lyric? Beats me.
Initially, I thought it was because of the heavy metal line, but listen to the guitars. But I also give credit for the Black Sabbath thread.

virgoamm
12-26-2008, 10:48 AM
There were songs that were lead-ins to metal, but I think Black Sabbath was the original heavy metal band. Pick any early Sabbath song.

Yep! ;)