PDA

View Full Version : Kanye busted on SNL--so what?

Djoser
12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/blenderburner/4491/kanye-west-caught-lip-synching

I'm not surprised or upset in the least. And the musical portion of SNL shows invariably sucks, for many years now, no matter how good the musician might ordinarily be.

But what's with the writer of this article?

"...The guy's music is so intensely good it (almost) justifies his God complex. Every time the rapper gets onstage at some awards show and accepts one statue by claiming he should have won another one, we usually have to agree. West has encouraged us to expect such a superhuman level of perfection from him, it was inevitable he would one day not be able to meet it."

Compared to who?

Kanye is catchy in some of his songs, I'll grant them that much, but that's about it. He's just another Top40 schlocky Pop asshole when it comes down to it, getting rich off suburban white punks trying to be playas, just like his arch enemy 50cent. All that money he is making isn't coming from poor black people in the ghetto, that's for sure.

But it is good if this means his colossal ego gets taken down a notch or two.

parris_star
12-22-2008, 10:10 PM
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/blenderburner/4491/kanye-west-caught-lip-synching

I'm not surprised or upset in the least. And the musical portion of SNL shows invariably sucks, for many years now, no matter how good the musician might ordinarily be.

But what's with the writer of this article?

"...The guy's music is so intensely good it (almost) justifies his God complex. Every time the rapper gets onstage at some awards show and accepts one statue by claiming he should have won another one, we usually have to agree. West has encouraged us to expect such a superhuman level of perfection from him, it was inevitable he would one day not be able to meet it."

Kanye is catchy in some of his songs, I'll grant them that much, but that's about it. He's just another Top40 schlocky Pop asshole when it comes down to it, getting rich off suburban white punks trying to be playas, just like his arch enemy 50cent. All that money he is making isn't coming from poor black people in the ghetto, that's for sure.

But it is good if this means his colossal ego gets taken down a notch or two.

I agree! It's like people find the negatives in every situation and make it front page news, for what? Doesn't change the fact that Kanye is one of the most talented artists, especially live, in the game right now. I hate stupid ass news like this. How about they write about what kind of jobs will be created to decrease the amount of struggling people in the world.

Sorry...got of topic. ::)

Pretty_Penny
01-03-2009, 11:09 AM
i can't stand him. i will agree that he makes catchy songs, but IMO he can't rap or sing and every catchy beat he's using was taken from something else. all of his "innovative" stuff is really common in the electro genre. he's just mixing the two, it's really not so complicated. it just shows how limited people are musically that they can hear flashing lights, love lockdown, stronger, etc. and think "wow. that's a new and different sound!"

i mean, the guy basically owes his career to daft punk.

and honestly, i'd give the guy a lot more credit if it wasnt for his bloated ego.

good pop artist? yes
genius groundbreaking musician? no

retiredangel
01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I am not a huge fan of his but the firstsong (can't recall the name of it...)he performed that evening was one of the "best" performances musically I had seen on the show in a LONG time!
Even if the music isn't my fav and even if he isn't all that,he can work a crowd!

missmays1983
01-31-2009, 10:45 PM
i can't stand him. i will agree that he makes catchy songs, but IMO he can't rap or sing and every catchy beat he's using was taken from something else. all of his "innovative" stuff is really common in the electro genre. he's just mixing the two, it's really not so complicated. it just shows how limited people are musically that they can hear flashing lights, love lockdown, stronger, etc. and think "wow. that's a new and different sound!"

i mean, the guy basically owes his career to daft punk.

and honestly, i'd give the guy a lot more credit if it wasnt for his bloated ego.

good pop artist? yes
genius groundbreaking musician? no

thank you for pointing that out!!! i listen to alot of hip-hop, but nothing that gets played on the radio (blackalicious, dialated peoples, the roots, del the funky homosapien, handsome boy modeling school, etc) and to quite a few different djs and i'm constantly trying to broaden my musical knowledge. and everyone is just freakin crazy over Kanye's new album and its TOTAL ELECTRO RIP-OFF!!!! don't get me wrong there are some songs on it i like, but now everyone who just listens to whatever makes it on the radio or mtv or bet is gonna thinks that he just created this shit himself. no he didnt...he is just dabbling into what is already a genre of its own with many sub genres...and his fans might would know of if they would turn off the tv and radio and dig. top 40 is not the music bible.

Djoser
02-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Thank you Missmays, I will be checking out some of those groups you mentioned!

X Evan X
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Hammer, meet head of nail.

-E

missmays1983
02-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Thank you Missmays, I will be checking out some of those groups you mentioned!

lemme know how it goes!...blackalicious is some of the best hip-hop IMO. a good friend of mine put me on to most of those groups i mentioned and got me into some different kinds of electronic too.
i can listen to just about any genre, but my exposure was very limited having lived in a small town with no culture at all...and i hate most of pop tv and pop radio and pop magazines so its kinda hard for me sometimes keep up with 'new' music as i'm still kinda catching up on stuff i should have heard of like 6 or 7 years ago...hell i grew up on 'shag' and 'beach' music...