PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good idea to keep it a secret if you work in a SC?

Lucifer911
01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
This week I must lodge my tax stuff... and some of my career prospects include police force, government and military.

I am going for several interviews but I do not disclose this info on my CV.
Are employers likely to be less judgemental because I'm a male? or equally as judgemental? I still don't do lap dances or any stage work yet... but still get grabbed almost as much as the performers :-\

So whats the deal?
keep it secret from friends, family, facebook and myspace friends?

what are the pros and cons here?

jessica0585
01-28-2009, 02:11 PM
ive learned that i would pretty much keep it a secret from everyone other than your siginificant other. but then again girls are much more catty and a small tisk can lead to them threatening to tell your family about your work or whoever. guys might not be so bitchy.

Kylea2
01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't think it would matter as much with men. I thought you were serving drinks? If you are required to list all of your employers, find out if your SC has a registered name and you can always list that on your resume/application rather than the name it's known by locally.

At this point in my life pretty much everyone knows what I do including my family. You can try to hide it, but in the long run it may be more trouble than it's worth. Eventually you might have professional associates who become close friends, and you'll want to introduce them to your other friends. I also prefer not to keep company with those that don't like what I do.

I keep separate profile pages for my personal life and professional life. Although I let my personal friends know about both pages, my professional associates do not. For me it's more about personal protection. I don't want anyone from the SC to target my home/car/friends/family for theft or other malicious behavior.

Lucifer911
01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
still serving drinks :) just want to make sure. I remember when our Prime Minister of Australia was a candidate during the election.. he suffered heavy criticism from the media just for getting drunk and going to a SC in New York.. not that I plan on contending the PM of our country or anything.

Just want to protect my reputation.

Djoser
01-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes, be very careful who you tell. The 9-5 ers in general really don't like it.

Great care must be taken with the relatives, any future job interviewers, women outside the industry you might want to date, old family friends--I have seen bad reactions from all of them. Some you should never tell (job interviewers and professional contacts, most relatives). Some need to know--especially if they might find out anyway, lol--but it should be handled very carefully.

BTW I am moving this to 'Industry issues'. It's not meant to be a critical move, but rather it's an important issue for a lot of us who work in clubs.

Phil-W
01-28-2009, 10:01 PM
In the UK, you can put down broad job descriptions for tax purposes - so dancers put something like 'entertainer'.

In your case I'd put something like 'bar work'. If you go for an interview, I'd just say you bar tended. You don't have to give the full details, but its a good idea to get the story straight in your head before hand.

In a job interview, the interviewer will be looking for hesitations or odd responses to questions suggesting you're not telling the full truth. They'll only follow up with more detailed questions if they think you're hiding something.

A more practical problem might be references. If you're offered a job, it's standard practice to go to your previous 1 or 2 employers and ask for references. You need to think of a solution to that problem.

As to disclosure of what you do to friends, on myspace, etc, probably not a good idea. I can only respond anecdotally, but I know few (if any dancers) who make it public beyond a small and trusted circle. Too many negative stereotypes and too many judgmental people in this world.

Phil.

Morgan_TX
01-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Just a note... If you're going state or federal government, you HAVE to disclose it, particularly if you have a public trust or security clearance issue. While you could still get the job with that in your past, you would NEVER get the job if it is discovered that you lied about it. I've had federal security clearances with dancing in my background and never had a problem, but my interviewer for my security clearance told me that even though it's not a disqualifier, lying about it IS.

Honestly, you're going to encounter a lot less discrimination in government jobs than in the civilian world. Government jobs tend to use points systems and very clearly outlined hiring practices to fill positions, so discrimination is not as bad as in the civilian world.