PDA

View Full Version : How do I control my binge eating?

soxysassy
02-07-2009, 11:05 PM
First I would like to say I love the Life Support forum! Definitely need this :) Ok so I have trouble controlling the intake of foods. I keep eating & eating even though I'm full. Any suggestions on how to control this? I've read anti-depressants help but I have no insurance so can't afford that :(

Sparxxx
02-08-2009, 01:55 AM
+Chew (sugarless)gum, I do. Chewing and flavor after a meal helps satisfy me.
+Teeth whitening strips, you cant eat for at least an half an hour, buys time to get away from eating. I like to use the strips when going to a party with unhealthy treats.
+Seltzer water; calorie free, kinda bittter, but because it really doesnt taste that great it will help send the signal to your brain to stop eating
+Dring regular water. Fucking slam it! constantly have a glass in your hand
+maybe you should measure and track your meals, awareness of how much you actually eat can help you eat less.

just some suggestions

junigirl
02-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Calorie counting helps...usually depending on your size, you should have no more than 1600-2000 cals a day...so tally it up so you know when is a good time to stop.

Also, I find working out helps make me not feel hungry. But this only works if I eat properly during the day, well-rounded stuff (yogurt, milk, veggies, whole grains, blueberries, almonds, olive oil or flax oil). I found I used to binge eat when I was doing crazy restrictive dieting. When I stopped doing major caloric restrictions, and ate more well-rounded meals, then my desire to binge stopped. Dieting doesn't work when you only allow yourself like 500 cals a day...then you go nuts and start bingeing on especially unhealthy stuff. hope this helps

becca_bank$
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
If you start controlling your intake and just heat healthy it will be hard at first.... But after about 4-5 days u will start to see improvements in your looks and how u feel. And u will feel skinnier. Once your at that point. Its really easy to continue your new life style. Just say no to crap food and if u have to eat a big healthy meal, have that for breakfast and then just jave really small meals for the rest of the day. Trust me, your body will stop craving all the bad food and wont need alot of food anymore after a few days.

Phil-W
02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
My problem is a tendency to keep 'snacking' every time I pass the fridge. I avoid that by buying things I can only eat after cooking - I've reduced the temptation to go and get something to eat between meals.

Maybe something similar for you; cook a sensibly sized meal and eat that. It means if you want to keep eating, you'll have to go and cook something else. That's not going to prevent you from eating again, but it's going to reduce the temptation.

Phil.

hockeybobby
02-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Eat 5 or 6 smaller meals instead of 3 bigger ones. Always have some fresh fruit for snacking...oranges, bananas, apples are filling and nutritious. More water like others have said. I've heard cutting out dairy can help with the food cravings...and it's better for you too.

Postmodern Cinderella
02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Maybe try to figure out WHY you are binge eating.

in my opinion, there is something psychological going on here. Are you stressed out? unhappy? I know that when I'm in a bad relationship and I'm giving up parts of myself in order to please someone else, I binge eat terribly. I could eat like 10,000 calories a day and the more I counted calories the more I ate.

It took me years to figure out why I was binging, and now I eat totally normally.

Maybe try writing down on a piece of paper, "why do I binge eat" and see if you can journal out an answer.

Just a suggestion.

maximvsv
02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
The best way to control any habit is to first have someone else take up the task of monitoring it for you. It's got to be someone you can stand doing it, because it gets really annoying really quickly. Eventually, the change in the process will make it easier for you to consciously monitor it yourself.

Now, this could take the form of having someone running around with you 24/7 with a notebook to record each thing you eat, or it could take the form of only eating stuff prepared by one person/source.

Eventually, you should keep a notebook of it for yourself. It will feel awkward, but it is the best way to ensure that you pay attention to it every time.

LittleLuscious!
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I also have this problem. For me the gum chewing, drinking TONS of water, and brushing my teeth help.

Sometimes it isn't a psychological problem. Not everyone eats their emotions. Just try not to cave to your cravings. (Wanting some chocolate, but in the end you eat the whole thing) instead chew gum. Totally helps.

retiredangel
02-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree with the gum-chewing,just make sure it's sugarless! I am a fiend for it!

Also helps with cardio,my trainer hands me a stick 3 x's a week,you can breathe faster/harder because you don't get as dry,just be careful not to choke!

soxysassy
02-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Sorry it took my awhile to post back; I have no internet at home & I'm at school right now.

I definitely tried chewing gum, brushing teeth, drinking tons of water, & tracking what I eat. I gave up tracking because sometimes I ate food that I had no idea how many calories were in it & not knowing annoyed the hell out of me. I did notice I binge when I'm on a restrictive diet so I will try eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big 1s. I've also heard eating like every 2-3 hours helps control overeating

wish
02-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I have that problem when I'm extremely stressed so thanks for posting

TinaLatina1989
02-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Hi,

I think it's because food tastes so good, LOL! I buy smaller portions. I also have a rule, if I want bad food, I gotta walk to get it. This discourages me from getting it, but if that doesn't work, I've still burned calories! Always drink a full glass of water before you eat and after every few bites. If you have veg, eat that first. If possible, throw away (junk food), or freeze the leftover food. You don't have to finish your plate, if it's really a tray! Until you get over the binge eating, find a healthy food that you LOVE, mine is cantelope, eat as much of that as you want!
Binge eating can quickly turn into purging, to get rid of that "overstuffed" feeling. That is dangerous territory. Instead go for a brisk walk, or jog after the meal. If you slip up and binge, don't beat yourself up about it. Good luck sweetie!

Brooke
02-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Dish the amount you want you eat. Don't go back for seconds.

If you are like me and have a binge eating problem, you can't pull out a bag of chips and eat from it. You get out a small bowl, look on the back to see how much one serving is, put ONE SERVING in the bowl, and put the rest away knowing that you can't have any more today.

I used to eat past full all the time - until it hurt. I dealt with binge eating disorder, and to a lesser degree, other eating disorders (but they were mostly to mitigate my binging). In the end, I found that I had to make the right decision before I started eating. There is no stopping me once I get going... so I use portion control to limit the amount I start with, and I don't allow myself more. This has helped significantly, even though it seems so simple. Hope it helps you.

soxysassy
02-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Dish the amount you want you eat. Don't go back for seconds.

If you are like me and have a binge eating problem, you can't pull out a bag of chips and eat from it. You get out a small bowl, look on the back to see how much one serving is, put ONE SERVING in the bowl, and put the rest away knowing that you can't have any more today.

I used to eat past full all the time - until it hurt. I dealt with binge eating disorder, and to a lesser degree, other eating disorders (but they were mostly to mitigate my binging). In the end, I found that I had to make the right decision before I started eating. There is no stopping me once I get going... so I use portion control to limit the amount I start with, and I don't allow myself more. This has helped significantly, even though it seems so simple. Hope it helps you.

How long did it take for you to gain most control of your eating habits? Did you occasionally slip?

Hi,

I think it's because food tastes so good, LOL! I buy smaller portions. I also have a rule, if I want bad food, I gotta walk to get it. This discourages me from getting it, but if that doesn't work, I've still burned calories! Always drink a full glass of water before you eat and after every few bites. If you have veg, eat that first. If possible, throw away (junk food), or freeze the leftover food. You don't have to finish your plate, if it's really a tray! Until you get over the binge eating, find a healthy food that you LOVE, mine is cantelope, eat as much of that as you want!
Binge eating can quickly turn into purging, to get rid of that "overstuffed" feeling. That is dangerous territory. Instead go for a brisk walk, or jog after the meal. If you slip up and binge, don't beat yourself up about it. Good luck sweetie!

I like that idea of allowing myself to binge eat as long as it's healthy. I love bananas & soy yogurt :) Yum!!

charlie61
02-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Are you sure you actually do eat a lot?

Personally, I used to THINK that I ate a fucking tooon of food. Then I realized that what I was actually doing is eating a bunch of really small meals. Maybe you're like this?

Aside from that, I find that pre-planning is the key to staying away from eating too much. If you ARE going to eat a lot, make sure you have a bunch of healthy things sitting around. Pretzel sticks and rice cakes provide a salty 'crunch factor' that can be really satisfying, as can carrots with ranch dressing. For sweet things, you can try making sweet drinks instead. I satisfy chocolate cravings by mixing cocoa with water...so that I at least am hydrating (and also filling my stomach with water) while I'm getting my chocolate fix.

And yes--water can be very good for cravings. Set rules for yourself--you're allowed to eat ___ if you drink a couple of glasses of waters first. You'll eat less!

she sells sanctuary
02-17-2009, 01:42 AM
things that have helped me:

-telling myself i can't have something now, but i can have it at some point in the future if i still want it (later that day if its nothing major but i just ate, a week if its something really bad and likely to lead to a full on binge). this is especially important with "treat" type things, because if i let myself have something "now", i'll start eating like that all the time. any time i gain weight, it starts with a treat i didn't wait for.

-my binges are always emotional/anxiety-based, so if i can get myself to sit still and just breathe fully for a while and maybe do some yoga, i can feel better that way.

-good foods. there are certain foods that will just cut my cravings down really dramatically. they are usually very healthy ones (which is strange because my bad binge foods just make me want to eat more). oatmeal, broccoli, apples, strawberries, green beans...and my current favorite spiced shrimp sauteed in olive oil. that one is pretty high calorie, but it's protein and healthy fats, and those just kill cravings. and its soooooo yummy. if you pay attention, you'll figure out what foods have that effect on you. then it's just a matter of making sure to include them in a healthy diet. i am way more likely to binge on days when i don't eat the good foods i like earlier in the day.

-my sense of hunger is screwed up. my brain mistakes the pain of fullness for hunger pains, so i become totally ravenous after big meals. solution...no big meals. it took me way too long to figure this one out.

-junk food leads me to binging. therefore i try to avoid junk food. even some healthy foods will lead me to eat more for whatever reason. so i have to avoid them too.

chris91
02-17-2009, 02:09 AM
I agree with cinderella. Hunger is the only legitimate reason to eat, and if you're eating even when you feel full, then there is probably some emotional reason for it.

I used to eat until there was no food left and my stomach felt like it was going to burst. Then I would lie around groaning for an hour. I did it because my parents just never made enough food. I had to eat fast and as much as I could before it was all gone. I kept doing it as an adult, but there was nobody around anymore to gobble it all up before me, so I would over-eat. Once I figured out why I was doing it, it became 4365386 times easier to stop.

Like Brooke said, it really does help to portion things out, use smaller plates, and make sure that you're really thinking about how much you're eating while you are eating. I've never tried it, but keeping a food journal seems like a good way to keep yourself accountable.

carmen_b
02-18-2009, 11:28 AM
My habits are similar to Cinderellas.

I plan to eat healthy ( I travel a lot, so this means I have to pack my fruits , granolas, veggies, ect. with me or find a grocery store).

I drink a lot of hot tea and eat lots of raw veggies in addition to small meals because I'm one of those people who is always hungry. I always eat my calories and don't drink any ( I don't drink juice or soda much ) .

I excercise almost everyday because I find that when I have already worked out, I don't want to "ruin it " by adding calories back in right away.

I really really enjoy great restaurant meals, but I don't have them often. Food and cooking is a personal interest, so I have trained myself to be able to read restaurant reviews and look forward to future visits without gobbling something after reading about the place. When I do have restaurant meals, I usually share portions and savor what I'm eating. I don't gobble food and I actually get really irked when other people do. When other people eat fast, I don't want to say anything, but inside I'm like " what are you doing ?!? .... you are grossing me out ! " .

I use the " wait 15 minutes " trick about 20 times a day. I don't eat anything unless I still want it 15 minutes later.

If I've eaten "big " one day , I'll eat lighter the next .

The best tip I can give is also to NEVER eat while you are distracted. Try not to eat in front of a computer, the tv, or in a room where you feel stressed. Even if you are just having a bowl of cereal, focus on JUST THAT.

Another tip is to do other stuff that feel good with your body instead of eating. Go for a walk and enjoy the outdoors, book a massage ect.

Paris
02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Have you tried really focusing in on your food while eating? I eat way less when I sit down either alone or with someone else to eat w/o any distractions like TV or computer or magazines etc.

Make some food rules for yourself. No distractions while eating. No texting, no TV, nothing. Just eat alone or with a friend. Eat until you are full then stop.

It is weird, but most people eat way more when they are distracted then when they are focused on their meals. Intuitively you'd think the opposite would be true, but it isn't.

This one little change may make a very large difference in your eating habits. If you are watching TV and feeling hungry, either wait until your program is over or turn off the TV to have a meal.

Silky
02-18-2009, 09:58 PM
On your health journey...plan for healthy good meals and working out...but dont completely plan to eliminate junk all at once because you may just crave it later on and more of it. That is what happened to me. Instead, you can think of healthier more productive ways to incorporate a fast food urge into your daily life.

For example, if one day you want to have fast food... have a kids sized meal. Or, have just the one item your are craving and note the calorie intake to balance out the rest of your day with healthy foods and workouts.
I also like to have a few glasses of water after a fast food item to make me feel better and flush the bloat from the sodium intake.

Glamgirl
02-19-2009, 06:44 AM
I agree about this forum being great!
I have a binge eating thing going on too. It is only when im down or bored though. I have found drinking water and chewing gum effective. And also i think "Am i really hungry"? and wait 15 mins and if i still feel the same way i grab something like a handfull of nuts. It does work, i just need to be more strict with it.

soxysassy
02-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Wow! I was not expecting so much advice :) Thanks y'all! It's gonna be hard not eating in front of the tele :/

carmen_b
02-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Once you start to eat with no distractions, you'll see/feel a huge difference!

angelicat
02-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Try to think about the bigger picture when you are overeating.

Eating is supposed to fuel your body- nothing else. You need to provide yourself with other stimulating things to do to prevent yourself from eating for pleasure. This isn't to say that you can't eat foods that you enjoy.

When it comes to portion control, realize that eating should be making your body healthier. When you overeat, you can't digest properly which can lead to a slew of health issues. Also, if you are eating foods that are more filling (usually those full of flavor, vitamins and minerals) you probably won't feel the need to eat as much.

Glamgirl
02-21-2009, 04:20 AM

Eating is supposed to fuel your body- nothing else. You need to provide yourself with other stimulating things to do to prevent yourself from eating for pleasure. This isn't to say that you can't eat foods that you enjoy.

When it comes to portion control, realize that eating should be making your body healthier. When you overeat, you can't digest properly which can lead to a slew of health issues. Also, if you are eating foods that are more filling (usually those full of flavor, vitamins and minerals) you probably won't feel the need to eat as much.

That is an excellent way to think of it!

showmethemoney
06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
She Sells Sanctuary: You are right on the money Girl!:D

Everyone: This truly is the secret!

Thank You for this post. ;)

things that have helped me:

-telling myself i can't have something now, but i can have it at some point in the future if i still want it (later that day if its nothing major but i just ate, a week if its something really bad and likely to lead to a full on binge). this is especially important with "treat" type things, because if i let myself have something "now", i'll start eating like that all the time. any time i gain weight, it starts with a treat i didn't wait for.

-my binges are always emotional/anxiety-based, so if i can get myself to sit still and just breathe fully for a while and maybe do some yoga, i can feel better that way.

-good foods. there are certain foods that will just cut my cravings down really dramatically. they are usually very healthy ones (which is strange because my bad binge foods just make me want to eat more). oatmeal, broccoli, apples, strawberries, green beans...and my current favorite spiced shrimp sauteed in olive oil. that one is pretty high calorie, but it's protein and healthy fats, and those just kill cravings. and its soooooo yummy. if you pay attention, you'll figure out what foods have that effect on you. then it's just a matter of making sure to include them in a healthy diet. i am way more likely to binge on days when i don't eat the good foods i like earlier in the day.

-my sense of hunger is screwed up. my brain mistakes the pain of fullness for hunger pains, so i become totally ravenous after big meals. solution...no big meals. it took me way too long to figure this one out.

-junk food leads me to binging. therefore i try to avoid junk food. even some healthy foods will lead me to eat more for whatever reason. so i have to avoid them too.

showmethemoney
06-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Word. 8)

exotica268
06-14-2009, 12:34 PM
I agree w.EVERYTHING mentioned on here. One other thing that I didn't see mentioned (I started skimming after the first several posts, though) is doing a VERY challenging workout. I did see working out on here, though.

I noticed this worked for me, actually, even though I wasn't binge eating. When I started doing the 30 DS and now Turbo Jam, I don't want to eat so crappy bc I know the effort that I put in to be healthy. Now, if I'd just spend maybe 45 min on the elliptical not exerting myself very much or 1 hour walking at a 3 MPH pace (not too fast), I might just go ahead and eat those M&Ms. But knowing how much effort I exerted and how much of the burn I felt, I think twice...