PDA

View Full Version : iTunes is Evil

Djoser
02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I finally found out how to escape the death grip iTunes automatically puts on any new Mac computer.

All I can figure is that they want you to buy from the iStore, but anytime you try to play or rip a CD, it automatically opens iTunes. If you are in a hurry to get the songs in there, and aren't used to Macs, the inclination is to let the iTunes ripper take over when it pops up instantly whether you want it or not.

I put most of my classic rock and older pop stuff in the house computer that way almost a year ago.

But then when you want to move songs around into folders, you have to--guess what? Open fucking iTunes. I finally figured out how to get around that by going in through the 'Music' folder, into 'iTunes Music'.

But to rip songs from CDs without iTunes fucking it all up every time, it's actually simple.

Abort iTunes when it pops up (there's probably a default switch that will keep it from opening, too, actually). Wait for the CD symbol to appear on the desktop, and open that. There are your songs, ready to move into any folders you want, forevermore.

LuckyOne
02-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I struggle with itunes too.

missmays1983
02-08-2009, 05:28 PM
when i bought my first ipod i had a fuckin fit trying to figure out how to use it...

and you're right djoser....it's all marketing...just like that genius feature on the new ipods...i like it, but you can tell it's just another ploy to get ya to buy music from itunes instead of downloading it for free or buying a real life hard copy from somewhere else lol.

Cat2008
02-17-2009, 09:03 AM
I am HATE iTunes. I tried to by-pass iTunes to burn a CD, i.e. burn from removable hard drive directly to CD because someone told me that iTunes will burn in MP4 (not MP3) format. I am still new with iTunes and decided not to read about iTunes but simply burn from removable hard drive. CD was not readable in the end and all songs which I tried to burn by-passing iTunes was automatically erased from iTunes (I had songs bith in iTunes and on a hard drive). iTunes kept name of songs but don't play them anymore (message appears that iTunes cannot find "source" of these songs)

Djoser
02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Oh, and as if it wasn't already bad enough, I just found out that fucking iTunes will automatically rip any CD you put in your brand new super-duper Mac or Macbook, at a gloriously shitty 128 kbs!!

Here you go, buy a Mac because it's better for art and music, and it automatically rips music at the least possible quality, without telling you. Now I have to go into both the house computer and my own, find out what was ripped at inferior quality, and re-rip it.

iTunes sucks!!

CherryBomb954
03-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I just bought and Ipod and refuse to use the Itunes. I am a PC user and simply download MP3s off of Limewire or rip my CD's then use those songs.

she sells sanctuary
03-12-2009, 02:02 PM
and i thought my zune was a bitch. this actually makes me feel a lot better.

Paris
03-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Have you tried changing your default settings? Under system preferences in Finder, Select the cd/dvd icon. In there you can control which music player you want to use. That will deselect the default of iTunes and allow you to choose the program you want to run when inserting a CD.

Hope that helps. I'm a life long Mac user, so I'm pretty proficient in the software.

P.S. Do you have garage band? It is an awesome mixing and editing program available for Mac. I use it all the time to create custom song mixes.