PDA

View Full Version : FOREIGN TONGUES (teeheehee)

missmays1983
02-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Hello all. I'm bored. Guess what. Time for a poll....

So here's the question...how many SWers are BI...LINQUAL? ha bad joke i know i couldn't resist...being completely fluent is not required, but at least conversational...

just curious.

So tell us how many and which languages ya speak and why or how you learned them...(school, family heritage, travel, etc)

i grew up in a very small town and the only language i ever heard on a regular basis was of course english. one of the things i love about the city im in now is the fact that everyone is from somewhere else...and i hear at least 4 different languages other than english on a daily basis at my office job alone....i've always had interest in learning other languages.

so i'm not yet fluent in any language outside of english, but i do know some 'converational' french, spanish, ukrainian, and russian....

my granny is from ukraine, but there are no ukrainians at all where i'm from...so i didnt learn ukrainian as a child, but i have been learning over the past few years...slowly but surely i will get it one day!

saphire123456
02-14-2009, 05:51 PM
i speak russian and i took spanish in hs so i know enough to hold a conversation/get around

sexy_celeste
02-15-2009, 06:58 AM
I selected 3, otehr than English, as well as some sign.

I speak Bahasa Malay/Indonesian fluently enough to argue with people and teach a social studies class :-)
Tagalog (Philippines) is a bit similar, and i can understand a little to get by, as well as speaking a little Visayan Dialect

I can understand some Hokkien Chinese (best in Penang Dialect) and a tiny bit of Mandarin (Which I should really practice!!)

My German and French are shocking, but I can still read.

I understand Auslan, and can get by(specially with swearwords}:D ), but mainly use makaton.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makaton) My mother works with people with disabilities.

I aim to improve my Mandarin this year, and keep up my Bahasa Malay. I want our future children to speak both.

pookie
02-15-2009, 07:40 AM
i speak one other language, but not fluently.

Phil-W
02-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I only speak English, although after a few too many drinks, I'm also fluent in gibberish.

Phil. ;)

MsLayne
02-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I "speak" sign, we have a deaf girl at my club and we constantly talk about people through sign.

Patwa, broken english, works well in large west indian areas.

Spanish, I can read it but I can't speak it that well. I make small talk like Dame Dinero papi, dame. Lol whatever works.

I so want to learn Japanese and Italian.

Bob_Loblaw
02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
I speak Bahasa Malay/Indonesian fluently enough to argue with people and teach a social studies class :-)
Tagalog (Philippines) is a bit similar, and i can understand a little to get by, as well as speaking a little Visayan Dialect
Satu nasi ayam. It's about all I can say but all I need to get by!

sexy_celeste
02-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Satu nasi ayam. It's about all I can say but all I need to get by!

I can order practically the same thing in Thai, and thats it
"pad thai kai, kop koon ka" ;D

lazydaisy
02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I can carry on a very basic conversation in sign language and I can curse and order alcoholic beverages in two other languages. Does that count for anything? :)

Robertjordan
02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm at an intermediate level of Spanish. I can read and understand a lot of it when spoken to me, my challenge is speaking with confidence. My New Years resolution is to become much better at speaking it. I've done several things to help myself learn. First is my immersion where I solely listen to Spanish talk radio when I'm driving alone (I've done this for 2 months now). I try to read articles when I have a chance. I also carry around a pocket Spanish dictionary and notepad in my car, writing down words that I frequently hear and want to learn. I'm going to take an Intermediate Spanish conversational class in April.

Also, I speak a little German but I only put down one language because my German is at the beginner level and I'm not trying to learn any more right now.

BoxOfPandora
02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
French, Russian, and Japanese.

missmays1983
02-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I'm at an intermediate level of Spanish. I can read and understand a lot of it when spoken to me, my challenge is speaking with confidence. My New Years resolution is to become much better at speaking it. I've done several things to help myself learn. First is my immersion where I solely listen to Spanish talk radio when I'm driving alone (I've done this for 2 months now). I try to read articles when I have a chance. I also carry around a pocket Spanish dictionary and notepad in my car, writing down words that I frequently hear and want to learn. I'm going to take an Intermediate Spanish conversational class in April.

Also, I speak a little German but I only put down one language because my German is at the beginner level and I'm not trying to learn any more right now.

i do the 'immersion' thing too...i just sound like shit trying to speak ukrainian with an english or at times even polish (as said to me by a co-worker who from ukraine lol and i was born here lol) accent...the accent has always been the hardest part for me....argh.

i need to do more of the activities you do...great ideas.

Harlow
02-22-2009, 02:31 AM
I studied French for eight years and over the years have taught myself some Spanish. I love languages. I live in Chinatown in Boston and am hoping to take a class,probably Mandarin or Cantonese. Also I'd love to become more fluent in Spanish. I think for the job market being multilingual is a big plus. Cheers! Harlow PS When dancing,I always asked custys from other countries how to say "Cheers" in their language. This is a fun lil conversation starter...you can look some up on the internet,too and surprise your custys!!! Another cool poll question,Miss Mays!!!

veronicachick
02-22-2009, 02:52 AM
I am fluent in portuguese......i can kinda understand spanish but would never claim to speak it because I sound retarded trying to hold a convo in spanish...

inThePine
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Gosh I do love me some foreign men, lol, my ears perk up the second I hear any European accent. I've studied a little Russian (i just love everything about the language and the culture) and I can read it, but I've got a looong way to go before I'm fluent. I don't think my accent's half bad though. my ex was from Ukraine, and it amazed me that he was fluent in 4 languages by the time he was 10! my sis has been studying it for 7 years though so she's pretty good, once i move in with her i plan to have her tutor me.

BoxOfPandora
03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Gosh I do love me some foreign men, lol, my ears perk up the second I hear any European accent. I've studied a little Russian (i just love everything about the language and the culture)

You mean everything besides the perfective/imperfective verbs, conjugation of not only verbs but nouns and adjectives? The easiest part about the language is remembering anything male: "brother"=brat, "son"=sin, masculine form of "friend"=drug, and "boy"=malchik (while "shut up"=malchi). ;D

charlie61
03-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Spanish here! It's fading a bit since I took my last college class, but circumlocution is my friend!

inThePine
03-04-2009, 07:26 AM
You mean everything besides the perfective/imperfective verbs, conjugation of not only verbs but nouns and adjectives? The easiest part about the language is remembering anything male: "brother"=brat, "son"=sin, masculine form of "friend"=drug, and "boy"=malchik (while "shut up"=malchi). ;D

lol yes everything but the hard parts....so that knocks out most of it... damn! honestly once he started telling me the 9000 ways to say "left and right" i just threw my hands up!

inferior wine
03-21-2009, 10:49 AM
I voted for 2. English is a foreign language for me, being a Romanian. The second language I speak is French. Kind of limited, I know.

threlayer
04-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I like my women to 'speak French' :)

london
11-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I am an English mother tongue speaker but fully fluent (written, reading, verbal) in (Parisian) French with several verbal/written certifications from the Paris Chamber of Commerce. I understand and can read high level Spanish but cannot write Spanish p mast the intermediate level nor engage in high level verbal discourse in Spanish with a great amount of ease.

I also know a handful of useful Geman and Italian phrases and numbers/colors/othe basics. I'd love to learn Russian one day as well as improve my Spanish considerably.

I learned French in my freshman year of college and spent 3+ years living in Paris. I went on to receive my undergraduate and graduate degrees in French and European political science.

I studied Spanish in school in kindergarten and high school and a small amount in college.

I took an intermediate intensive Spanish course in Argentina in May of 2008 and passed my final test with 96/100.

FamousRabbit
11-30-2011, 03:50 AM
Fragments of Japanese, Spanish, and French. Intermediate Italian. Polish is my current beast. Thankfully, Chi-town is full of Italians and Polish folk. ^_^

setian
11-30-2011, 08:09 AM
English, Spanish(grew up with boricqua dialect&standard), standard Italian, Hoch Deutch("high German" and learning Austrian(studying in Austria shortly) and Berliner dialect).

German is fab for anyone with a mild bone structure lisp, works with it instead of against. Trick is trying to not sound aggressive, listen to women speak. Old women have a nice high morning bird sound lol, I try copying them instead of reverting to brusque/manly from listening to too much hard German industrial