PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

sorsi
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I need some opinions/advice. :-[
I made the decision to go back to school and finish my degree. But now I've got another choice to make, and I'm totally stuck.

Option 1: stay in my home city, where I grew up and have spent most of my life (translation: I'm sick to death of this place, but it is my comfort zone) for two more years and finish my degree.

Pros:
-like I said, comfort zone/familiar territory.
-easy to make money dancing and support myself while in school
-if I stayed here and finished school, I'd be done in 2 years rather than 3.

Cons:
-absolutely NO arts scene whatsoever here. I may be going to school for a 'straight job', but acting/singing/dancing is my passion in life. ;D And there is nothing for me here. Nowhere decent to train, a depressing lack of opportunities...ugh. Not being able to do anything theater-related for two more years would be hell.

Option 2: move across the country, to a city that I've dreamed of living in for over a decade, and finish my degree there.

Pros:
-I'd finally be in a city with a thriving performing arts/music scene for the first time in my life, and could pursue my passions to my heart's content while finishing school

-a change of scenery would be refreshing to say the least; I feel like my life has become a boring rut, and I would love to break out and start fresh somewhere else.

Cons:
-The city a) has a ridiculously high cost of living and b) sucks for dancing. All the clubs are owned by a chain, and they rob the dancers blind.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to make ends meet.

-I'd finish school a full year later than if I stayed home.

So...what would you do if you were me? And why?

bexxx
02-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm in a pretty similar situation!!
Im moving, Ive decided I might aswell do what I want to do now and take the risk as lifes too short lol

carmen_b
02-24-2009, 02:30 PM
You sound like me!

I ended up getting the degree done where it was cheap ( my home area ), and I travel to my other area ( the cooler city ) a lot. I still am deciding if I should move to the cooler more expensive city and it's something I keep chattering about. So .... I just go back and forth and have two homes areas basically .

Can you spend a couple weeks in the other city when your school breaks in May to make sure you really love it? Have you been there enough to make sure you'd really love it ?

I'd highly recommend living there at least a month before moving ........ but then again ..... when you know you have an out .... you don't try as hard to get situated.

verfolgung
02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Will you know anyone out there? Will you be living alone or can you have a roomate or two to help defray some of the living expenses?

Is there no other area within reasonable travel distance that you can go for work?

I'd say, take the chance and go chase your dream. You're young enough to still be able to take some risks in your life. To work hard and make it by, but living a life, sounds better than being comfortably depressed.

Besides, you can try it for a year, and if it really doesn't work out, you can still go back to your home. Even if you came back in a year and were truly no further along, you'd still finish school in 3 years.

Best of luck!

bexxx
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Will you know anyone out there? Will you be living alone or can you have a roomate or two to help defray some of the living expenses?

Is there no other area within reasonable travel distance that you can go for work?

I'd say, take the chance and go chase your dream. You're young enough to still be able to take some risks in your life. To work hard and make it by, but living a life, sounds better than being comfortably depressed.

Besides, you can try it for a year, and if it really doesn't work out, you can still go back to your home. Even if you came back in a year and were truly no further along, you'd still finish school in 3 years.

Best of luck!

I completely agree with this statement lol

carmen_b
02-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Just re-read your note. Can you be a resident of your current city during the school year and then spend your summers in other the one ?

Just to clarify, can you afford out of state tuition and go to school in the other city outside your home area if you moved?

SteveSmith
02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd stay home. Two years will fly by. Stay close to your support system and easy money. If your going to be working and studying, you don't need all these other distractions anyway.

Getting your degree is too important to take these kinds of risks. There are too many people who are working on getting their degrees like 3 or 4 years after they said they wanted to finish.

Take a couple of trips to that city on your breaks.

hockeybobby
02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
No arts scene where you are? Wrong. You're there, you make the scene. Do it. Start a little theatre. Get some like minded people together, and form a troupe. Have a Festival. Start a band....anything. Create it and make it happen.

Report your progress here in six months.

sorsi
02-25-2009, 01:51 PM
argh! I had typed out a massively long response and the page wouldn't load. :(

So, the short version. I've decided to move at the end of this year and do school over there. I've lived (and worked) there before and made good money, so it's not really logical to be so pessimistic. Those of you who said life is too short to remain comfortably depressed and wondering "what if?" while time passes you by...you're so right. :)

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. Thanks also to those who posted advice that I ended up not liking; making me realize what I don't want was just as helpful. :)

verfolgung
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Best of luck to you on your journey!

JoJoX
03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Im in the same situation and I've decided to stay and finish a degree- which means 1.5 years to go. I hate it here but it will be all worth it. Once you have a degree and accomplished something, it gives you more freedom. It is much easier to focus on your studies in a place you can't stand. No art scene? Then, here's your chance to shine. If you do something or create something that nobody else in town did, all eyes will be on you. And once you create fans, you have a head start in a bigger city- or where ever it is ur trying to go.

Two years will go by in a blink of an eye. Do one thing at a time. You'd be all over the place if you move without finishing ur goal.