PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say hi to everyone

bigjaydawg_ga
02-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I am new here and new to the business. I plan on opening a Gentlemen's Club in the future. I want it to be an upscale club on that can rival the top clubs in Las Vegas, NYC and Miami. I do not have any experience but that is what I am doing now, gathering info, tips and knowledge. I know the best way to gain experience and knowledge is to work at a club, but I also would like to get different opinions from several different sources(ie. dancers, bartenders, waitresses, managers, bouncers, owners and anyone else who I forgot to mention). The club will be in Georgia, I do not know the exact location yet.

-Where can I go to get help designing and furnishing my club?
-Are there specific websites I can go to to research the laws and regulations for various states, counties and cities?
-How do I attract top quality dancers and staff?
-I know I will need a liquer liscence and an adult venue liscence, are there other liscences or permits that I will need?
-Starting out what type of club should I go for(topless or nude)?

I know of a hundred more questions to ask but I'll keep that for latter posts. I would truley appreciate any insights, comments or suggestions.
Thanks, hope to hear from ya'll.

Lucifer911
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Okay.... first things first.

You cannot jump any queues here if you want to own a successful gents club.
So I'm going to list a few steps if you are serious about running a club one day..

Step 1) Get yourself a job in the industry working behind the bar which will help your communication and sales skills
Step 2) Frequent SCs as often as possible (at least 4-5 times a week) to learn the business and more importantly learn why certain SCs outperform others
Step 3) Get to know your customers and what makes them tick
Step 4) Look at how SCs market themselves and what makes each club specifically unique
Step 5) Get to know the owners of SCs which will definately provide you with some insight
Step 6) Learn how to respect women if you don't know already. After all they will be your primary source of income for the SCs
Step 7) Upgrade your skills and become a floor manager in a SC if possible

The fact is right now... you should not be considering owning a strip club until you get experience in the industry. It is fine to set yourself a longterm dream to own one but remember the most successful owners of SCs have experience from the ground up and are well connected with owners of other SCs, hotels and bars.

It takes years for a club to establish itself as a top SC.
If you don't have any capital (aka large amounts of money) then you better start earning it.

You will lose a lot of money during your first few years of business until you make a name for yourself. Passion is what will take you through those tough times...

Just comes down to whether you have what it takes..
Good luck...

lildreamer316
02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
^^^^
This is great, spot-on advice.
If you are dead-set on opening a club and do not end up working at one, then you had better be ready to partner with someone who does have experience in one..and actually listen and pay close attention to what they advise you.

The only things I have to add are:
1) Hire people who are competent, MATURE (not nec. in age,but in attitude); COMPETENT; willing to forgo most of their own ego; and did I say competent??? If you want the best, you have to PAY for the best. Pay those you hire well, and what they are worth. It will save you literally MILLIONS down the line. This is the #1 problem with most, if not all strip clubs today.
2) Once you do number one, DO. NOT. MICROMANAGE. Don't second-guess them.
3) Don't penny-pinch when it comes to basics for the club. Again, if you do it right the first time; you don't usually have to do it again.

I hope you will take Lucifer's advice and try working in one first. There is so much more to this experience than meets the eye. It's a world unto itself; and you can't really understand the undercurrents unless you immerse yourself in them.

glambman
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Your signature::::

Democrats are Sexy. Whoever heard of a good peice of elephant?

I would never eat an ass, but some people are into that. ;) However, I have had the chance on multiple occasions to eat African elephants. Yummy. :D

bigjaydawg_ga
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the insight Lucifer911. This is exactly what I want, knowledge. I know that I am going to have to work at a club in order to get the experience, but I'm just asking how things are done. I f I can get usefull information from this forum I am already a step ahead of where I was before I started. I welcome any other info that you can send my way.

bigjaydawg_ga
02-26-2009, 02:38 PM
How do you pay Bouncers? Dancers?
What are House Moms?

All the times I've been to a club and I never heard some of this slang.

she sells sanctuary
02-26-2009, 03:41 PM
^ i'm pretty sure that's the sort of thing you'd pick up working in a club.

to open a good club whether you've worked in one or not, you need at least one good lawyer, at least one good designer (plus lighting and sound designers), at least one good accountant, and a damn good gm. your hopes will cost you millions of dollars.

do you know how many people in this country have dreams of opening a high end club some place that's probably already saturated with clubs? fuck, you're coming to a stripper board to ask us for advice? geez. we can help when the place is already close to opening. we can give advice on dealing with girls, fair fees, what we like in a dj or a dressing room, or the importance of having good staff if you want to keep good strippers. but this isn't the place to ask the big questions. go to the pros for that. ask around at actual clubs that you think are well decorated and well run what lawyers they use, what designers they've used, etc. not us.

oh, and if it'll be in georgia, it'll be in atlanta, because no other town in georgia could even hope to handle a club like that. that's why the big clubs are all in big cities. go figure.

Phil-W
02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Er....

Do you have such a thing as a business model?

Where's your finance going to come from? (And what will it be secured on?)

Are you aware of the legal requirements for owning/running a strip club?

Phil.

glambman
02-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Er....

Phil.

I lost my post.....arghhh

The first thing you are going to need is a business plan, the one you will present to get financing.

Financing: Hate to say it, but if you don't have the cash, don't hold your breathe for an SBA loan if you are white and male. As for the one years expenses, yeah that is what they say, but the reality is that a bank will not loan you the money if you are not going to make a profit within 6 months.

Chamber of Commerce is a good start for information, as is your business attorney and accountant.

Remember this, if your county is anything like ours, after you've gotten all the paperwork and inspections and the place ready to go, you file a notice in the paper and then go before the city council for final approval. Anyone who opposes you, for whatever reason, will be able to voice their opposition (if they show up). For a SC, they will show up, and everything you've done will not guarantee final approval.

If you need a liquor license for serving anything beyond beer and wine, it will cost you. Are you going to lease? Will they even allow a SC?

If you can get a good business plan and have the money ready to go, do what I did for my first and what other people I know did....go to a similar business and ask if you can train there for a few months. You may have to pay them some money, but you sure won't get paid for it. Also, it needs to be in an area that you will not be competing against.

mysteryman
02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I would take everyones advice here and follow it. I have been buying and selling clubs for a living across the USA now for several years. This business is getting harder and harder to own a SC/GC.

To build from scratch, which I have done before, will cost you millions. You will spend a considerable amount of money just on research for planning and zoning for your location. By the way if you want it in Atlanta, forget it, no more licenses to be issued. What clubs exist is it, they are all that will be. Outside Atlanta is a diffeent story, but those counties are not friendly to SC/GC so do not expect the town to roll out the red carpet when you try to file for a license.

You will have to find several different lawyers to advise you, like liability lawyer, real estate lawyer, zoning and planning lawyer, 1st Amendment lawyer, and more. So plan on paying lots of retainers and hours. This si not where you cut corners or attempt to save a dime by not retaining one because someone says they know better then the lawyers.

If you have not figured it out you will spend a considerable amount of money before you ever even secure the actual location or even design the floor plan to fit the property you will buy.

*~Angel~*
02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Of course, follow everyones advice, and do your homework. You don't want to get in trouble with the authorities. If you follow all the rules, and laws. Make it look spiffy and classy then you could very easily do well, find the perfect girls, and bring in good clientel

bsteve
03-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Er....

Phil.

Yeah, Phil, I am just amazed that you asked exactly the same questions that I was about to ask.

A lot of times people come to me and ask me to help them with their business (not related to SC in any way), and the first thing that I do is to ask them is for their business plan. Most are able to walk me through it, but some wave it off "yeah, we are still working on it" or worse yet "Huh? Just answer my questions."

And of course, the number two reason for business failure, after a lack of business plan, is undercapitalization.

But I think that in fact this might be a good time to get into this business.

Hey, BigJayDog, what's your background? What's you education, business experience, capitalization, etc.?

Paris
03-05-2009, 04:52 PM
How do you pay Bouncers? Dancers?
What are House Moms?

All the times I've been to a club and I never heard some of this slang.

1. Hire a good lawyer to write up contracts with anyone with whom you are consulting. This post is a screaming beacon for con-men.

2. This is a very, very bad time to get into the stripping business. As soon as the economy turns around the club witch hunts are going ramp up. People are ignoring the huge legal problems these clubs are creating for themselves because there are so many other pressing issues that need to be addressed. But, mark my words, there will be massive crack downs on strip clubs when the economy starts humming right along. Politicians need easy targets, and the opposition party is lacking in easy targets at the moment. This is a really, really bad time to be planning on buying a strip club. It is even worse for those with no experience in the industry.

3. If you have to ask such basic questions as: How do I recruit quality entertainers, where do I get a liquor license or Should the club be topless or nude, you are a very long way off from being a successful club owner. That's a little like starting a construction business and asking what a pneumatic nail gun is and how do you read blueprints for buildings. They are incredibly ignorant questions from someone who has aspirations of running his own business.

Good luck with that. There are lots and lots of people that would be happy to take your money and leave with a bankrupt business.