PDA

View Full Version : Yet another anti stripping article

Phil-W
03-03-2009, 12:06 PM
From yesterday's UK Times newspaper.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article5827177.ece

I've twice tried to add a comment saying all this article does is perpetuate tired old stereotypes, but guess what - neither comment has appeared.

Phil.

Winged Dinghy
03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Meh, she's no different from any other frustrated, bored, narrow-minded housewife--except she's got a newspaper column. Honestly, her column isn't worth the controversy she's obviously trying to provoke.

She's not even interesting enough to get me fired up, even with lines like this: "[N]o strong woman is working at a strip club."

indie
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
They're just so ... impolite.

... BAHAHAHAHAH

Her 'feminism' is pre-women's liberation front; pre-American sexual revolution. Stereotypical English prudery. Go back to the Victorian era, dearie. We appreciate your good intentions, but they are horribly misplaced.

She is bitching about the political paradigm, but holding the victim of said paradigm (according to her) accountable? Wha-wha-WHAT?

firemaiden04
03-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Ugh. Just cause she doesn't have the confidence to be proud of her body doesn't mean that anyone who does is weak and exploited. That's what pisses me off about this shit. She can't imagine doing it, so she lumps us all into this "fucked-up" category and gets all self-righteous about it. That's okay...her husband is the one frequenting the clubs while she stands on her little podium and preaches.

JDanielle
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
"No strong woman in control of her own destiny would put on a pair of ludicrously unflattering shoes that instantly made her look like she had syphilis. In her hair."

I don't get it.

Ruby Ruckus
03-03-2009, 04:11 PM
There's a time for watching bored 18-year-old Lithuanians executing desultory quarter-shimmies against an unhygienic pole for grudge-money [/B]- but at the same time as This Morning and Cash in the Attic? That seems excessively sleazy; even for the kind of person who pays poor foreign teenagers to take their clothes off.

In our society's generally admirable progression towards all-round reasonableness - racism, homophobia and the tapered-leg trouser seem to be increasingly things of the past

so racism is a thing of the past? not for you it doesn't seem to be.

cunt.

Ruby Ruckus
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
hahaha. some of these comments are hilarious.

"Well done Caitlin!! Brilliant article and so perceptive as well. Luckily I only go to these clubs very rarely and so do not get affected. But what about other people, those less educated, less middle class than I...builders, cab drivers or civil servants? If I was them I would leave it well alone."

like, oh, i'm so fortunate that i only SOMETIMES go pay to see women naked. but less educated, poorer people should stay well out. it's bad for them!

"I'm a man and I have no desire to visit a strip joint - it seems an expensive way to get frustrated. So I don't go. I suggest that Caitlin doesn't go either because it annoys her. Let's both not go - and leave other people to do want to go, in peace"

haha, well said.

justifymylove
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Haha... my comment isn't being published either.

rayna
03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
so racism is a thing of the past? not for you it doesn't seem to be.

cunt.

whenever I see one, it shocks me as much as if I'd just seen a sign going up saying “Minstrel Show!” or “Jew-Beating, Sticks £1!”.

neither is anti-semitism, apparently.

but seriously, lol at her "article"

somebody should find her address and send a stripper-gram.

Honey71783
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I read the article up until paragraph three... Her writing is horrible... If an article doesn't captivate my attention by paragraph three then I just move on to the next article... I'm a busy woman. I can't waste my time reading poorly written blitherings...

charlie61
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I've seen the light!!

I don't like articles like these because they're pointless. Anyone who is involved with strip clubs already won't be persuaded to her side, and anyone who dislikes strip clubs will just sit there and nod at whatever she says. So what's the point? Drama drama drama.

Oddly enough, I'm more offended by her attack on strip club customers than her opinion on strippers. Usually people just assume patrons have no agency and focus completely on dehumanizing strippers. So what...people shouldn't be allowed to do anything merely for the sake of entertainment? I guess we should all throw our TV's in the creek while we're at it. God forbid we ever do anything purely for the sake of enjoyment... >:(

firemaiden04
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah, my comment never got posted, either.

Bitch.

Phil-W
03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Just re-read the article. A friend of mine lives in Crouch End (it's in London). I'll try and find out a little more when I see her in a couple of days.

Crouch End is a bit of an odd place to open a strip club. It's not very affluent, so I can't see there being a lot of 'local' money available. Flip side of that is that is it would be the only SC for some miles. However, if I was going to open a strip club in London, Crouch End would not be on my list of favored sites.

Interesting that the paper seems to be censoring the replies. None of the posts from anyone on this board (who would put a positive point of view) seem to have appeared in the comments column - and I've seen some comments columns with a hundred replies allowed (not just the current 22).

Phil.

Lucifer911
03-04-2009, 04:12 AM
that article is the most boring piece of shit I have ever read
shes just jealous because the girls are better looking than her and earn more money in one night than she ever could.

she got thrown out of the club because she was an obnoxious ugly dyke not because the bouncer thought she was a prostitute.. she wouldn't get any customers either way.

Take care of yourself and each other
Jerry Springer

mysteryman
03-04-2009, 08:55 AM
[email protected] <[email protected]>

Use the email above as I have done and send a response.

Make note of the actual link to the article and let them know you cannot post.

MarvelGirl
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Hahahahaha
She condemns strippers and then admits to being a lush, that's funny.
Let her be outraged, the more evil and taboo she makes it sound the more money we collect.

I am, however, very concerned about hair syphillis. I can't seem to find any information about this horrible disease caused by high heels. Somebody please, help me out here before I catch it.

hahahahahahah

justifymylove
03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Hahahahaha
I am, however, very concerned about hair syphillis. I can't seem to find any information about this horrible disease caused by high heels. Somebody please, help me out here before I catch it.

She probably came here and read about all of us putting fungus cream on our scalps and thought we were trying out a misguided home remedy...

bsteve
03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I read the article up until paragraph three... Her writing is horrible... If an article doesn't captivate my attention by paragraph three then I just move on to the next article... I'm a busy woman. I can't waste my time reading poorly written blitherings...

I think that she is trying to be folksy. Yes, to me as an American, it does read poorly as well. Pity.

Lucifer911
03-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Hahahahaha
She condemns strippers and then admits to being a lush, that's funny.
Let her be outraged, the more evil and taboo she makes it sound the more money we collect.

hahahahahahah

precisely.. thats why I wouldn't lose any sleep over her boring article if I were you. Watch out for those high heels hun :)

mysteryman
03-05-2009, 05:53 AM
Customer service sent me a message stating that I could post a comment , it works. Well it does not. I just tried it last night and again this morning, nothing.

Nina77
03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Poppycock!

lexi2008
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM

;D I almost had coffee through my nose from laughing at this beautiful little comment.

I think it has serious potential as a siggy. With author credits, of course. ;) May I?

Cat2008
03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
She has serious case of brain syphilis herself. It sounds like she condemns guys for seeking society of sexually clothed women. I guess her ideal man is politically correct person who get aroused by strong-minded individual regardless of her (his)) looks or gender. Expressing preference for certain looks or possible certain gender is bad bad thing. }:D

MarvelGirl
03-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Well thank you Lexi, I'm flattered!

lilbee
03-08-2009, 07:31 AM
here's another article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/08/sex-industry-lap-dancing

seems like the industry is taking a right knocking at the mo when all the girl wants is to earn a lil bit of money. geez, i wish these people would stop being so judgmental.

Kylea2
03-09-2009, 12:39 AM
She's not even interesting enough to get me fired up, even with lines like this: "[N]o strong woman is working at a strip club."

I agree! She lost me the minute she started stereotyping Lithuanian women as being the type to be in a club. During college I ran around with a group that had strong ties to places like Russia, Georgia, Armenia, and Lithuania. Out of all the people who would be in a strip club I have to say that the last three countries in there are probably the LEAST likely to have women of those origins show up in a club. Her article simply doesn't fly and is too terribly boring to finish.

Her 'feminism' is pre-women's liberation front; pre-American sexual revolution. Stereotypical English prudery. Go back to the Victorian era, dearie. We appreciate your good intentions, but they are horribly misplaced.

Again, I agree. Someone needs to be cut off from the Jane Austin books. I enjoy them just as much as the next girl, but that is simply not the times we live in nor is it reality.

Kaelyria
03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Okay so apparently being able to write an article that is coherent, cohesive and contains facts is no longer a requirement to be a published journalist. The first three paragraphs were gibberish. What do eight year old's birthday parties, High School Musical and Lithuanian Strippers with syphilis "in their hair (?)" have to do with each other? I sincerely doubt she was telling the truth about having been in a strip club and having spoken to dancers at all as "research" for this article or she would have been humbled by the fact that she is in fact a weaker woman than those of us who can rock a great pair of heels and have the confidence and strength to be naked in front of men we don't know. She obviously has never understood why men oggle pictures of naked or nearly naked women in magazines and she herself cannot see or appreciate the art of a woman's body in all it's natural glory. What pisses me off is that she's ranting against something she knows nothing about and hasn't bothered to learn even the basics before spewing word vomit with feigned authority.

Now tell me I'm a stupid stripper. :p
~K

charlie61
03-14-2009, 06:32 AM
^ Not only that, but stereotypes are in the eyes of the beholder.

When you think about it, every kind of stripper has become a stereotype to some degree. The girl working her way through college, the lifer, the coke addict, the blonde ditz. We can't win!

But if she went into a club looking for stereotypes, I'm sure she found them. That's just how it works.

XOXO.Katie
12-28-2009, 01:29 AM
I found the author extremely annoying!!!!! It's like 3am and I have horrible insomnia so I decided to google her and find photos.

Quote from article:
“Girls, get the f*** off the podium, you're letting us all down,”

All I have to say is good lord woman, stop getting your f****** picture taken. Your face is letting us all down!

anouk.oui
01-23-2010, 01:09 AM
male university students dont have to take their clothes off for money, theyre slaving away flipping burgers at mcdonalds on minimal wage to pay for their education..... some of us just prefer to do it with style

black_widow
01-23-2010, 06:27 AM
"Because let's face it, no strong woman is working at a strip club, full stop."

Really? So every single woman who is a dancer is a weak, passive little girl who isn't in control of her own destiny? Is this woman retarded? Since when do passive, weak women, have the balls to get naked in front of a judgemental group of men who are basing their tips soley on appearance? Last I checked, it takes BALLS AND STRENGTH to do that, not weakness.

And if it's really so weak to make a good living NOT having to subjucate yourself to the mysogny of office politics and corrupt bosses who fuck their secretaries, then I'd rather be 'weak' in this woman's eyes, because obviously, she has never lived in the REAL WORLD and seen that it IS full of mysogny---every single job has it, but at least in a strip club, the only mysogony going on is in this woman's head.

I still am confused as to how people can view what happens in a strip club as mysognistic. I really just DO NOT GET IT, and I make no bones about being a hardcore feminist. Mysognistic is defined as: "a showing of hatred or distrust towards women". Um....where is that behavior in the club? Sure, some men come in to be dicks to women because they hate them, but those men usually get ignored, or even bullied by girls who don't take shit from customers, and ultimately, these sort of customers get thrown out asap. Other than that, from what I see, and I've spent YEARS in strip clubs, men come in to BEHOLD and honor the female form. They come in to appreciate the beauty of a naked woman--appreicate it SO MUCH that they shower their hard earned money upon it and bask happily (for $40 a song) in close quarters with it.

The men in strip clubs come in to pay their respects to self assured, sexually expressive, beautiful STRONG women who aren't afraid to don a MALE ROLE and act overly sexual, to chase men, to hit on men, to act like a man would in a normal social situation. Men come into strip clubs to pay a woman to LISTEN to him, to pay her for advice, to see her to help his marriage. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING mysognistic about the business at all; and, if anything, it is PRO FEMINIST because it celebrates the beauty of being a woman and solidifies to women that YES, they DO have power, so MUCH power that at nothing but a word from the girl, and the man is removed and sometimes beaten to a bloody pulp. It shows women that they should be HONORED to be a woman, and that men LOVE women and would do ANYTHING to be around a beautiful one.

Sure, strip clubs do have their faults--they purmote vanity, and shallowness, and materialism, in that they are image based, and teach women that being beautiful is more valuable than being smart (although being smart will make you more money, so long as you are beautiful too); they also encourage drug use and alcoholism (but bars, and any venue selling alcohol does this as well); they also encourage cattiness and cliques (but so do other predominately female businesses like hair salons), and, lastly, they teach women that men are SUCKERS and that they don't deserve respect at all for being so easily mainpulated by so few words and gestures.........and the list goes on.....

So I'm not saying strip clubs are PERFECT, or geat by any means. They have faults, but being 'mysognistic' just ISNT ONE OF THEM, and it's so ANNOYING to me, being a feminist myself, to hear again and again that I can't be a feminist and a stripper at the same time, or that I'm being 'abused by mean men' at work or that I'm being exploited. Bitch, please--I'm WAYYYYY too fucking smart AND strong to be exploited by anyone, INCLUDING our fucked up 'normal' society, that would otherwise want me to be an office aide to some CEO who would never promote me unless I fucked him. Sorry, but I'm NOT ok with that---I'd rather dance for the CEO and take all his money, or just be a stripper and make as much as him.

There is NOTHING mysgonistic about stripping, and it is NOT DONE BY WEAK WOMEN, or women that are 'lost' or who are being 'exploited'. END OF STORY.

FULL STOP.

KS_Stevia
01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Isn't university in England pretty much paid for if you want to go?

Athenathefabulous
01-24-2010, 04:08 PM

And if it's really so weak to make a good living NOT having to subjucate yourself to the mysogny of office politics and corrupt bosses who fuck their secretaries, then I'd rather be 'weak' in this woman's eyes, because obviously, she has never lived in the REAL WORLD and seen that it IS full of mysogny---every single job has it, but at least in a strip club, the only mysogony going on is in this woman's head.

I agree... the 9-5 world is way more mysoginistic IMO.

I jsut graduated... instead of immediately rushing into the 9-5 world i have decided to put it off to strip.

Why? Because as a stripper, ove hte next yr or 2 or 3, i can do whatever the fuck i want.

seriously, i can live where i want, i can travel, i can work when i want, i can make enough money to live confortably, i can make enough money that i can invest.

how the fuck is having the ability to do whatever i want not feminist.

:shrug:

oh wait, i know why. because i get nekkid and objectified.

i like how these people are like "well being hot is not a talent." I have noticed that most people who say this are over weight. i think that getting to the gym 5 days a week and eating healthy IS a talent... it takes hard work, dedication, and discipline.

Yep, it takes a strong woman to turn down that cheeseburger, mrs second wave feminist.

Athenathefabulous
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
I found the author extremely annoying!!!!! It's like 3am and I have horrible insomnia so I decided to google her and find photos.

Quote from article:
“Girls, get the f*** off the podium, you're letting us all down,”

All I have to say is good lord woman, stop getting your f****** picture taken. Your face is letting us all down!

HAHAHAHAHAHA :rotfl:

Christyismyalias
01-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Well said girls! Well said! I love all the replies.

Lets just them think the way they want, so we'll get allllll the money :)

here's another article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/08/sex-industry-lap-dancing

This comment from the article made me laugh-
"I think it is a bit weird that men sit around in a room together masturbating. Maybe they go to strip clubs to convince themselves they are straight whilst checking out each others c*cks"

Yup~That's what they do.. Sit around masturbating while we dance. lol. Weird.

I actually have heard of this happening in foreign countries from men I've danced for, but (thankfully!) never in any clubs I've ever worked in!

Lola_sinn
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
I jsut graduated... instead of immediately rushing into the 9-5 world i have decided to put it off to strip.

Why? Because as a stripper, ove hte next yr or 2 or 3, i can do whatever the fuck i want.

seriously, i can live where i want, i can travel, i can work when i want, i can make enough money to live confortably, i can make enough money that i can invest.

how the fuck is having the ability to do whatever i want not feminist.

:shrug:

My thoughts exactly.

GlitterBexie
02-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Isn't university in England pretty much paid for if you want to go?

Sadly no, :( Most if not all students who study in the UK incur some kind of student debt, Mine is in the region of £11,000. We can apply for a student loan, but that just about covers fees, because my parents earned over a certain income bracket i didnt qualify for any additional grants/money (even though in reality, they were in no real position to help me pay. And even with their help and being able to not get an overdraft, i'm still in debt. Its rubbish.

I didn't dance whilst i was at uni (wish id had the confidence) but if i had, it would certainly have made my life a little easier. The woman who wrote this article is clearly an imbecile and doesn't know what she's talking about. Not strong, are we?! Haha, Its women like this that drive men into the clubs. Silly goose of a ''journalist''... She hasn't got a clue!

OJenni!
02-15-2010, 04:55 PM

You read it up to paragraph 3? OMG... I did not even last till the end of paragraph one!

africanqueen
02-16-2010, 06:43 AM
I agree! She lost me the minute she started stereotyping Lithuanian women as being the type to be in a club. During college I ran around with a group that had strong ties to places like Russia, Georgia, Armenia, and Lithuania. Out of all the people who would be in a strip club I have to say that the last three countries in there are probably the LEAST likely to have women of those origins show up in a club. Her article simply doesn't fly and is too terribly boring to finish.

Again, I agree. Someone needs to be cut off from the Jane Austin books. I enjoy them just as much as the next girl, but that is simply not the times we live in nor is it reality.

if you danced in london or any big city in the uk you would find there are alot of eatern european girls, polish, lituanian, latvian etc, i worked in birmingham and was the only person who wasn't eastern european in that particular club.

DominoDiva
02-17-2010, 06:12 PM
im really sorry, i attempted to read the article, but i get so annoyed at how journalists write about strip clubs and the women who work in them. ive read so many articles about them, they never think to mention the male strip clubs do they?.

i cant read SH*T! it makes me want to strangle women like that, there just prude oversheltered geeks. not being funny but if you dont like strip clubs or strippers, then dont get involved! men like to see a woman naked, its a fantasy, just like swingers like to share partners! its a fantasy, fantasys cannot be destroyed just like that, or at all, BELIVE it woman, men get dances at 11am, all kinds of men, your boss prob has had a few dances ina club, your husband, your father, your brother, i bet there is at least one male in her life who has enjoyed the delights of a dance from an attractive woman.

most women bitch about us out of jelousy, the fact we have the confidence and sence to make the money we make the way we do, everyone has a skill, hers is to slate strippers, ours is to seduce men and let them have a great memory.

we dont exploit, and we arnt exploited! it happens becoz 2 consenting adults have said, "i will give you a dance for a price" "ok i shall pay your price and enjoy you skillfull sexy dance"

i bet she has never even been in a strip club!!!!!!

so angry right now.

sorry for ranting.