PDA

View Full Version : Negative thinking

Jezzebelle
03-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Im getting really really sick of my negative thinking! Its causing me so much stress and depression. Majorly Im an optimistic, positive person, until someone very important comes along, then Im back to thinking the worsed. So, obviously its a habit. Which can be changed, but I dont know how, its ingrained in my subconscious.

It also makes me wonder if my positive thinking is faked. (Yes I believe in The Secret, but obviously just believing isnt enough to make the old habits go away)

What brought this problem to light as a bigger problem than I thought it was, is this week, Iv had something amazing happen, something that Iv wanted to happen for a while. But within 24 hours, I was depressed about that thing again. And there was no reason to be!
As soon as this good thing happened my mind was thinking up all sorts of silly reasons as to why it may go wrong soon. So then I was stressed and paranoid.

Im depressed today, and the weather is totally grey but there is no other reason to be! This is getting draining.

Anyone know any good hypnosis CDs for this?
I dont want to go on anti depressants- yes Iv been on them before, years ago.

Has anyone gotten out of this? Can you tell me how you did it?

ETA: I truly do believe Im a lucky person btw, I swear it feels like thousands of times Iv thanked the universe for shining on me, all the good things seem to land in my lap. So there is really no need to so damn miserable and paranoid all the time.

angelicat
03-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I could have written what you wrote myself.

I've always been a happy go lucky, optimistic, positive person... Until about 6 months ago. I don't know of any hypnosis CD's... But, I did find Anthony Robbins Personal Power audiobook to be VERY helpful.

One of the exercises he does is have you put yourself in the state that makes you feel awful. See what happens with your physical body (slouched shoulders, head down, sad face, etc). Then think about positive things, and pretend to be really happy. THEN watch your body language (shoulders back, head up, smiling, good posture). Then to use that the next time you are feeling depressed... Do the physical things that mean you are feeling good and you trick your mind into following. Has been working pretty well for me. :)

Miss Chevious
03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
deleted

Miss Chevious
03-12-2009, 10:14 AM
OH ya,,, have you ever tried acupuncture? I know its not medatation or hypnosis but I just recently had a truly life changing experience because of it. You may want to consider.

dance77
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I know how you are feeling, it has been constantly grey and cloudy for so many months where I live, I found that I have to consciously kick my mind in gear by forcing myself to be more active physically, and then the mind and soul follows the positive energy that working out gives. I have been doing rigourous cardio workouts 5 days out of the week , which has improved the clarity of my thoughts and motivation.
I think the bad weather combined with the negative news about the economy constantly makes being motivated more of a personal challenge.

Winged Dinghy
03-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Here is a link to a hypnosis website. I like listening to these right before I go to sleep. I really feel a difference for the day or two after I have listened to them! We get so many negative messages from the media, or even friends and family, that it's helpful to consciously absorb POSITIVE information.

http://www.choosehypnosis.com/hypnosis/

patchouli
03-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I recommend meditation. Allow whatever thoughts and feelings that come into your conscious to just "be." And let those negative ones have a chance to be acknowledged, and then when you're ready try to envision them leaving your body or mind and floating away from you into space. This practice helps me every time I feel my optimism fading. Instead of trying to fight those negative feelings off during my day, I meditate to find peace with them and let them go.

MarvelGirl
03-13-2009, 06:16 AM
I recently read the book Toxic People by Lillian Glass and it had a pretty big impact on my life. I didn't even realize how badly certain people were affecting me until I read it. Once I recognized who was toxic, it was suddenly easy to deal with them and they stopped having such an impact on me.

I'm not usually a big fan of self help books, but that's a good one. I completely cut one of my cousins out of my life and I learned how to deal with my mother in law so that she doesn't make me feel like shit every time I talk to her. I'm now way more positive than I used to be.

MarvelGirl
03-13-2009, 06:19 AM
wow hun i feel your pain...this is what I am going through right now too.

OK I dont know if you are spiritual or religious but here is I have to look at things when I get this way...
I have a higher self who chose all the twists and turns of this life Im living before I ever actually came into this existence. Now that I am here, I have conveniently forgotten all that and everything seems like this big random mess that I have no control over, sos its easy to get scared.
I must remember when I begin to fear, that I have gotten this far. I must trust my higher self and put myself into this life entirely whether or not that means I will be hurt its being able to truly let go and enjoy being here while it lasts. Thats the point:)

Hope that didnt sound too preachy...Sending love ur way ! It will be ok...oh ya, go take some vitamin D if its not sunny out you maybe lacking.

I'm not religious at all, but I really like that.

Jezzebelle
03-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow, major help! From all of you, thanks!!

Im definetly gonna get the Toxic People book. Iv noticed when Im in a very bright mood I clash/dont gel with people who are negative. So to make them feel better I rapport with them, which brings me back down. So I need a better way to deal with this.

Winged Dinghy and Patchouli, I know I dont medicate enough, I did walk thru the woods today thought which was nice. Too damn cold to meditate though. Sometimes I can do it at home either as I have a noisy neighbour. Same reason why I dont do as much Yoga anymore at home.

Angelicat, I love Anthoney Robbins, thats twice this year Iv been told to buy something of his, so obviously I should :)

Miss Chevious, I am, thats why I went to the woods today :)

Dance, Im obviously not doing enough on my poles, haha (I knew that already-Iv been missing my training sessions)

Right, Im off to find that Toxic book!

justifymylove
03-15-2009, 06:48 PM
I also recommend the Power of Now. I used to be extremely negative, and I realized that the reason (put simply) was that I was constantly living in the past or the future, rehashing situations and actions and thinking how else they could have gone or envisioning possible scenarios and how they could go badly. Of course, it's a self-fulfilling prophesy because all you do is worry!

And last thing... like you said, the way you think is a habit indeed. Changing it to suit your goals will of course take time and practice, so don't worry about it being 'fake' if it's working. It will sometimes feel fake but it's like exercising when all you want to do is veg :-)

Jezzebelle
03-16-2009, 04:31 AM
That thought you pattern is exactly mine!!!! Ill search for that book too.

Right ok, so fake it till ya make it ;)

justifymylove
03-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Lol... sometimes it's necessary :) Best of luck! Let us know your thoughts on the books.

dreamer1980
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Im getting really really sick of my negative thinking! Its causing me so much stress and depression. Majorly Im an optimistic, positive person, until someone very important comes along, then Im back to thinking the worsed. So, obviously its a habit. Which can be changed, but I dont know how, its ingrained in my subconscious.

It also makes me wonder if my positive thinking is faked. (Yes I believe in The Secret, but obviously just believing isnt enough to make the old habits go away)

What brought this problem to light as a bigger problem than I thought it was, is this week, Iv had something amazing happen, something that Iv wanted to happen for a while. But within 24 hours, I was depressed about that thing again. And there was no reason to be!
As soon as this good thing happened my mind was thinking up all sorts of silly reasons as to why it may go wrong soon. So then I was stressed and paranoid.

Im depressed today, and the weather is totally grey but there is no other reason to be! This is getting draining.

I dont want to go on anti depressants- yes Iv been on them before, years ago.

Has anyone gotten out of this? Can you tell me how you did it?

ETA: I truly do believe Im a lucky person btw, I swear it feels like thousands of times Iv thanked the universe for shining on me, all the good things seem to land in my lap. So there is really no need to so damn miserable and paranoid all the time.

some other good books to read are What to Say When you Talk To Yourself by Shad Helmstetter and From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett.

its just a bad habit that you've formed, and since we are creatures of habit, it will take some time to drop. but dont let that discourage you! i stopped biting my nails in a few months time ;D

Jezzebelle
03-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Im quite good at getting rid habits too, I no longer smoke :)

The Power of Now book has arrived, Iv read a few pages and started `listening` to the rambles in my mind, its going well so far!