PDA

View Full Version : Colleges and Stripping

Il_Bella
03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm new, just got hired at a club and had a general question, i reallyyy hope its not already a thread, if it is, just say it's already a thread please so i don't waste anyones time!
So, if i'm a stripper, but don't drink (i'm allergic to alcohol *honestly*) and don't engage in anything else other than dancing, can my college;
a. revoke an academic scholarship
b. kick me out
its a private, presbyterian university with very liberal views, so i'm really not sure what they can do. Should i ask, or just try and it keep it on the dl???

rayna
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
they are definately not allowed to revoke your scolarship(s) or kick you out.

however i would keep it on the dl because it's not their business what you do for a living.

Il_Bella
03-15-2009, 08:26 PM
okay how sure are you about that??
i don't wanna go ask my admissions counselor hey man, is it cool if i'm a stripper?
i don't think that will go down too well

rayna
03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
if you are of legal age to be stripping, you are not breaking the law in any way. i dont see why they would have any right to kick you out... your job off campus does not concern them.

however, i was just thinking about the scholarships and realized if you make over a certain amount and declare your earnings you may no longer qualify for certain scholarships.

veronicachick
03-15-2009, 11:03 PM
however, i was just thinking about the scholarships and realized if you make over a certain amount and declare your earnings you may no longer qualify for certain scholarships.

I think that would be the only reason why they might revoke your scholarship... because I don't think its really the schools concern if you are a stripper because it's not as if you are breaking the law.
so I would suggest looking into all the terms and requirements of the scholarship you are on....

I have the bright futures scholarship that pays for my tuition and they don't ask about earnings and whatnot... so my dancing doesn't really affect my university life.

But I do have friends on full scholarship that does not allow them to work, they are on a sports schoalrship tho so I think you should be fine if you do decide to dance.

Ms. Mia Roberts
03-16-2009, 01:05 AM
If you have to put it on some sort of application for anything academic or financial... entertainer works just fine. you don't have to say "nude dancer"... but if they don't need to kno your income for financial purposes... i say that its none of thier business and i'm pretty sure they can't kick u out for that

verfolgung
03-16-2009, 09:16 AM
It is difficult to answer your question with absolute certainty without knowing 1) what institution you're attending and 2) what scholarship you're referring to. (Please understand, I'm not asking for you to disclose either.)

While dancing in and of itself may not be illegal, please be careful. If others in your club are are doing things which result in your place getting raided, then your scholarship might be put in jeapordy.

Il_Bella
03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
wow, thanks for all the responses!!
i'm on an academic, non need based scholarship so as long as my grades stay up i keep the money
i didn't have to sign a morality clause for this scholarship, so i figure i'll be okay on that
i was just worried that they would kick me out for some reason, but from what everyone has said, i should be okay as long as i don't do anything illegal
i'm really doing because i love it and it's good money to pay for a hell of a tuition, i don't drink, do drugs, or do anything other than dance so i hope i'll be okay
thanks so much for everything, it was really worrying me!

Il_Bella
03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
i don't plan on flaunting it, not that i'm ashamed but at the same time, i don't want to be stupid about it

glambman
03-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I1_Bella, two of the mistakes people make in life, on forums, etc., is by revealing to much information that is not relevant to the subject at hand, and by not using common sense. Would you go to the counselor and say "is it OK if I am a used car salesman"? No, so how is this any different?

You're not doing anything illegal, so why 'draw' attention to yourself.

Il_Bella
03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
glambman,

You are right, it's not illegal, but you're not telling me to attract attention to it are you? No, you're not.
and why is that? because unfortunately it's not socially acceptable to be a dancer and I'm aware of that. Hence my question, if *knock on wood* my college WERE to find out, COULD I get kicked out?
Not, hey if I told my admissions counselor.... I meant that as sarcasm to further enhance my point. I'm sorry that was taken the wrong way.
Honestly I think I deserve some credit for common sense for asking my question before I decide to pursue this path, and for asking those I feel could answer my question best. AKA NOT my admissions counselor.
Secondly, nola manager made an excellent point, it may not be illegal, but under their morality clause, it could be viewed on that level. So, that being said, my profession could very well be EXTREMELY "relevant to the subject at hand."

glambman
03-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry I took it the wrong way (I'm still trainable fyi ;) ).

For the 'attract attention' part, I meant it in the 'you wouldn't shout your profession' way (any profession).

And if you want to ask, ask. I don't recall saying otherwise, and hope that wasn't "read" from my post.

Regarding a "Morality Clause", if you were at a conservative Presby school, sure, but you said yours is a liberal one. I don't see the problem. Also, as long as it's not illegal (doing extras, etc.), if anything ever came of it and as much as I hate them, there is the ACLU. I', sure they would love the case.

Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Il_Bella
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
thanks for the advice, like truly. I just wish it wasn't so taboo. I get nervous being new and all, reading other girls bitch out the dumb questions, so sorry if i jumped the gun on you :O But oh well, and ACLU would take it? awesome! haha, yeah i figure i'll be okay if i keep it low, which i will. Once again, thanks for the posts everyone, really answered my questions!!
yay sw!!!

rayna
03-21-2009, 10:15 AM
i had no idea about morality clauses... never heard of them. i go to a local city college (no dorms etc) and nobody ever tries to get into the students' personal lives unless they come forwards and ask for advice.

something about the idea of a college trying to regulate your off-campus activities based on "morality" seems illegal and unconstitutional to me... then again i am no expert in law or college proceedings.

Ruby Ruckus
03-21-2009, 11:45 AM
i had no idea about morality clauses... never heard of them. i go to a local city college (no dorms etc) and nobody ever tries to get into the students' personal lives unless they come forwards and ask for advice.

something about the idea of a college trying to regulate your off-campus activities based on "morality" seems illegal and unconstitutional to me... then again i am no expert in law or college proceedings.

ever heard of liberty university?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_University

they fine their students for any morally reprehensible behaviours. the whole code of conduct used to be online, but now you have to log in to view it, but it includes:

Attendance at a dance - $25 fine
Gambling - $25 fine
Possession and/or use of tobacco - $25 fine
Attendance at, possession or viewing of, an "R," "NC-17" or "X"-rated movie - $50 fine
Entering the space above ceiling tiles - $50 fine (wtf?)
Participation in an unauthorized petition or demonstration - $50 fine
Association with those consuming alcohol - $250 fine
Failure of three Christian/Community Services without reconciliation - $500 fine
Involvement with witchcraft, sťances or other satanic or demonic activity - $500 fine
Assault/sexual assault - $500 fine
Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages- $500 fine

Abortion - $500 fine

rayna
03-21-2009, 12:04 PM
oh wow... does that really extend to off campus behavior? if a liberty student had a beer in the neighboring town, would they be fined 500 dollars?

"liberty" must be making a buttload of money off of those fines.

and lol at the fine for having a beer being the same amount of money as the fine for sexually assaulting someone. Why anybody would voluntarily go to such a college is beyond me.

haro231
03-21-2009, 12:26 PM
i don't know if they can kick you out for morally reprehensible behavior without you signing that they could, but they are a private university so they can be far more strict about what they will allow and whatnot. as far as contacting the ACLU if something happens, i don't think there's much they can do about it because it's a private institution and they can do pretty much whatever they hell they want since they are not state funded.

Il_Bella
03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I actually know a few people who go to Liberty and it's crazy I hear.
like the kids can't have "sexual/promiscous relationships" aka boyfriends/girlfriends
Well I'm not telling anyone I go to my university, *they all think I'm a community college kid*
so I hope at least there I'm okay
funny story, I asked this other girl what she thought, and she laughed and said she saw one of her teachers at a club and they just pretended like they didn't know each other because she's there for a reason and well, so was he. :O

not that it's the likely outcome, but I am going to do some research about it....click around my school site....hmmm

the_dfb
04-12-2009, 06:30 PM
gov. grants won't be revoked.

private scholarships have their own set of rules; you'll have to check each one out.

honestly, it's never a good idea to mention you're a stripper in the academic world.

Il_Bella
04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
honestly, it's never a good idea to mention you're a stripper in the academic world.
^So I've heard.... ;)
but awesome that gov't grants are set in stone

mediocrity
04-13-2009, 08:04 PM
You should be fine. Just dont announce it in class. I didnt tell my school what I do. It isn't their business.

steelerpanties
04-14-2009, 01:42 AM
i've looked into this issue a bit lately too. one thing to remember, activities such as sports, honor societies, whatever, can have their own codes of honor too. remember, jealous bitches are everywhere, so even if the people you know don't care, someone might take up the cause out of bitchery..so even if you are sure your school doesn't still have some"in locus parenti" doctrine or honor code, which you should know or be able to get by looking at student handbooks, etc...be careful moving forward too.

Melonie
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM

^So I've heard....
but awesome that gov't grants are set in stone

But don't forget that eligibility for gov't grants is dependent on 'family income' ... which must legally include your dancing earnings ! Also don't forget that all college bursar's offices must report the name, SS# and tuition amount of every student to the student grant agencies and the IRS. Thus if you report your dancing earnings to the IRS it may jeopardize your eligibility for student grant money. And if you DON'T report your dancing earnings to the IRS and are discovered, it may result in an IRS / student grant agency backlash against both yourself and your parents.

Il_Bella
04-19-2009, 03:50 PM
wooooo didn't cross my mind! I'm just starting to get into the tax thing, (i barely make enough for the gov't worry about at this point) so I'm learning that now so I don't mess up my credit.
Oh and the only gov't grant I get is handed out to every student attending a private school regardless of income. I checked out all the grants I receive and none are need based, but i didn't even think of it from that angle! : ) thanks!!!

babybambi08
04-22-2009, 10:49 PM
why would you have to tell them??

chitownchick
04-26-2009, 02:21 PM
ok they cant take away your scholarship for stripping but if they found out and didnt like itt they could search hard to find a legit reason to take your scholarsip away. in other words they find something they dont like and they watch your ass till you do anything that would give them reason to get you out of that school. keep dancing on the dl, as said above. i hd this happen with a sales job, they found out, knew they couldnt say "because your stripping you cant work here" so they said that they thought i was wearing myself out with two jobs (k nowin gi worked a 2nd job) pushed me down to part time, then finally wore me out so much i just quit.

Il_Bella
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
ahhhh I see. I'm a really really good student (on all kinds of scholarships and honors awards, a huge volunteer worker and don't do anything illegal, I don't party, I'm a pretty big nerd and straight kid) So I'm hoping they see the good that outweighs the less socially accepted part of my life. Personally I love dancing in a club, it's helpful for me. Even at the club I'm at, I'm getting known as the really straight and narrow girl. : )
I'm sorry you had that happen with a sales job, sometimes I wish people weren't so judgemental.
babybambi08 : I wouldn't say a word to anyone, but the club is in the same city as my college, so that's the only way anyone would know, is if someone from there walked in. Then again, I figure they are there for a reason and so am I, so we both don't say anything. Unless they are just looking for girls from their college (which idk if they would do).
I wouldn't be like hey ya'll guess what?! haha

Stevie3k
05-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I have the same problem as you. I currently have a athletic scholarship at a private catholic school and I am keeping my job on the DL most defiantly because I am not sure they will revoke my scholarship or kick me out....

I mean I think they will give you a choice (Quit dancing & stay at school with scholarship or leave school/Get scholarship taken away)

babybambi08
05-07-2009, 04:45 PM
how long are ya'll going to school.. if your getting a scholarship how about getting a loan and just waitress to keep up with your bills

Il_Bella
05-08-2009, 09:47 PM
four years for nursing and waitressing just won't pay my college bills (private school)
but i'll def. keep that loan thing in mind

Athenathefabulous
05-09-2009, 09:41 AM
it could be a problem. I remember a while back reading about that girl who was on the track team at california state college and they tried to kick her off for stripping. Here is the details: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/2001/03/29/stripper_athlete_ap/

I am pretty sure that after this she got a lawyer and they let her back on but she quit anyway. I'm not sure though

bettyboop09
05-09-2009, 12:26 PM
hmmm.....just to keep it simple, don't let them find out you are stripping. keep a low profile and you should be fine. Don't let anyone know you're on a scholarship or for the best don't let anyone at school or work know too much about you. there will always be uncontrollable factors so why worry about it. Although it's always good idea to be equipped should there be a need for damage control. Plus you already made the decision to dance so why doubt yourself now? stick to the plan

Gia2608
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
How close is ur school to ur club though because when Ifirst moved down here I danced right by school (like a dumb ass!) and like 4 or 5 kids came in and when I was onstage they were like: "Hey don't you go to so and so school". Oops!

Il_Bella
05-09-2009, 07:30 PM
it's close, but 21 and up (teachers and older students may see me)
i think i'm just going to keep a low profile (i do already) and see how it goes.
i checked out my scholarships, none have a morality clause it's strictly academic and i'm a smart cookie : ) so i should keep all those
thank you all for your support and suggestions, i don't know what i do with out ya'll
<3

Il_Bella
05-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Stevie3k:
how are you dealing with it?? is it harder or easier than you expected?

BabyMolly77
05-10-2009, 07:24 PM
i was a student-athlete at a private school and was asked to leave (either leave or be kicked off kind of thing) when they found out. they said if someone recognized me from the club it would be horrible PR for the school. in your situation i would say dancing isn't worth the risk unless you truly have no other option. best of luck.

cadencetyme
05-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Private and or religious colleges can absolutely revoke your scholarship and or kick you out.

My ex got kicked out of a religious college for a combo of drinking/missing service.

It depends on the rules of the paticular school but :
1.Private Colleges-do not get public funding they may make their own rules w/ in reason
2. Religious based schools- are the same . Privately funded rules based on the religious tie thing.

Stevie3k
05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Stevie3k:
how are you dealing with it?? is it harder or easier than you expected?

Well, I just keep it on the low. I saw two girls come in my club *when I was waitressing* that I knew form high school and they seemed to be all for it. When someone I know will flip over the fact, I simply tell them "My name is -different name- and I go to -different school-" Sometimes it works.

I just deny deny deny.:-X

Gia2608
05-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Well good luck to you girls, I'd buy a wig if I were you!

Christyismyalias
05-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Definitely don't tell anyone you dance.
It's not necessary info and it will do nothing positive for you..
Whether or not they will kick you out it's just not something you want to spread around school...
I agree with wishing it wasn't so taboo. Would make my life so much easier.
I'm too afraid to even hang out with people from school for fear of lying to them/them finding out about where I work and having to deal with bullshit about it.

Good luck :)

Stevie3k
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Well good luck to you girls, I'd buy a wig if I were you!

Im considering buying a wig, but How can I keep the hair from flying across the room or keeping it in place?

Il_Bella
05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I love wigs!!!!
they make me feel like a whole new chica!
I really appreciate all the feed back!!! I'm going with the most agreed on plan aka keep it on the down low and denial.
sucks, but hey, it's a price I'm willing to pay to continue doing what I love, dancing and school!!!
(yes, I love love love school!!!)
Stevie3k:
if you go on body business there are many great threads on it, type in wigs.

<3 <3 <3 all of you ladies!!!!

ps they are not a strict religious school, it's just how they got started a hundred years ago, so they keep it in the name. there is no religious affiliation whatsoever, but that's a great point for other girls.

Andy08
05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I go to a public college and I would never tell anyone. Stripping is still a taboo topic and labeling yourself as a "stripper", even if it doesn't lose you your scholarships or get you kicked out, could possibly make things very hard for yourself. You're opening yourself up for a lot of stereotypes and harrassement. Plus, I've been told by several younger male patrons of a Baptist college in my area that will consider suspending or kicking you out just for going to a strip club.

When my peers or anyone else asked what I do for a living, I tell them I waitress. I stay prepared to answer some questioning...but not many people are interested in hearing about waiting tables. ;)

Mr Hyde
12-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm new, just got hired at a club and had a general question, i reallyyy hope its not already a thread, if it is, just say it's already a thread please so i don't waste anyones time!
So, if i'm a stripper, but don't drink (i'm allergic to alcohol *honestly*) and don't engage in anything else other than dancing, can my college;
a. revoke an academic scholarship
b. kick me out
its a private, presbyterian university with very liberal views, so i'm really not sure what they can do. Should i ask, or just try and it keep it on the dl???

I don't know the law of this but I would guess that they can to anything they want, and that includes kicking you out.