PDA

View Full Version : Photographers

Vice City Vinnie
03-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm a photographer who is looking to get into the industry. I'm wondering if it is better to go in as a freelancer/independent or will a club hire me out as a house photographer???

yoda57us
03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm not an insider but I have been going to clubs and hanging out with dancers, owners and managers for well over twenty years. I have never heard of a club that had a photographer on staff. Actually, I'm not even sure how much work there would be for you from the club's POV. Most dancers don't want their picture taken.

Admittedly I club in the New England area which has some great clubs but is not exactly a high profile area. I'd be curious to see what folks in places like LA, Vegas or NYC have to say about this...

WiseGuy_TX
03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
....i know of two.

For about 15 years, Fantasy Ranch (closed now) near Dallas had a staff guy who took Polaroids of customers with dancers. Cost $20, $10 for him and $10 for the dancer. The guy was once a semi-pro jockey.

The other is the Jackpot clubs in Houston. They have two guys who seem to have been their only contracted freelancers for years. They generally act as if they have staff privileges so maybe they are staff, who knows?

velvet
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
lol I've NEVER heard of a staff photographer or a polaroid guy at any club i've worked at.

Perry
03-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Our manager always just snapped the polaroids. It was just a bunch of girls bent over around a grinning bachelor or birthday boy. We actually did have one guy who collected photos of dancers in outfits he bought for them, and he was still happy with an amateur shot. Even big promos for the club's website and advertising were just done by managers or dancers.
So you're probably better off hanging out on Model Mayhem or Suicide Girls.

verfolgung
03-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Not sure why someone would need to hire a pro to snap polaroids. That's pretty much point and click. At one club I've visited they have a photo promotion where they charge about $10 for a polaroid. The dancers have mixed feelings about having to be in the pictures, so some of them will hide themselves in the back or be sure to keep their faces turned away.

The only time I've ever seen even a semi-pro photographer hired was when a club was building their web page, or making promotional posters. The job was not ongoing.

I've seen some feature dancers travel with manager/roadie, but like above they typically just sell polaroids.

yoda57us
03-17-2009, 04:48 AM
At one club I've visited they have a photo promotion where they charge about $10 for a polaroid. The dancers have mixed feelings about having to be in the pictures, so some of them will hide themselves in the back or be sure to keep their faces turned away.

LOL, if it's the club I'm thinking of my former ATF there used to kneel in front facing the guy and point her ass at the camera.

No one ever seemed to mind...

achickonspeed
03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Ummm I personally would NOT work at a club that had its own "photographer" hanging around.

Kylea2
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I've worked at clubs that took photos of the dancers to post on their website, but it was optional. I agree that I wouldn't want to work at a club where people were taking photos all the time. If I'm going to have a photo taken nearly naked I better be getting paid a decent modeling rate.

Kellydancer
03-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't work at a club where you had to model for a photo like that. One club I worked at had where you could pose but it was optional (I chose not to).

LuckyOne
03-21-2009, 12:46 PM
So let me get this straight. You want to become a photographer? With no experience? But ONLY for exotic dancers??? Lol, good luck with that!

Andy08
03-23-2009, 10:29 PM
The only "industry photographers" I've ever seen worked for the local strip club magazines, ie. "Hot Dancer" and others like it. They go around to clubs and take pictures of dancers to publish. Its really shady if you ask me, tho...

Then of course, there's always the sleezebags...oops, i mean "photographers", that wander in clubs and pass their cards around hoping one of the dancers will be dumb enough to come to their house and let him snap naked pics of them, HA.

I did meet one reputable photographer who occasionally stopped in clubs to find girls to shoot. He was successful at it because he brought along a few of his previous models to recommend him and hand out cards. It made him seem not so...creepy.

glambman
03-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Then of course, there's always the sleezebags...oops, i mean "photographers", that wander in clubs and pass their cards around hoping one of the dancers will be dumb enough to come to their house and let him snap naked pics of them, HA.

Those sleezebags are called GWC (Guys With Cameras).

saphire123456
03-24-2009, 11:02 PM
So let me get this straight. You want to become a photographer? With no experience? But ONLY for exotic dancers??? Lol, good luck with that!

ha, i know, right?
well all the clubs i worked at had at least 3, to be able to cover all the shifts, you know, and they're always hiring amatuers::)