PDA

View Full Version : rural/small town life + stripping?

patchouli
04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm looking to move this summer and want a slow and quiet rural life. I wouldn't mind having to commute an hour or more to work every day. I don't want to live in a suburb near a metro area. Any suggestions? I don't know how many clubs are in these types of areas and if I can expect to make enough so I'm coming here for advice. East coast and not south is preferred. 8)
p.s. to be more specific, I seriously mean a population of say, under 1000.

verfolgung
04-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Well there are lots of rural areas in the North East. Does being near the coast matter, or being in land?

Areas that first come to mind - northern ME, northern NH, VT, upstate NY, western MA, western PA.

Are you only looking to be there for the summer?

Do you want any other kinds of amenities around?

With a few more specifics we might be able to suggest some actual towns.

Btw - You realize that being the outsider in a very small town does not always mean more privacy.

Best of Luck.

glambman
04-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Out of curiosity, why do you want to move? Are you of the belief that it will be better then city life?

You're looking for the North or the Northeast?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_United_States

patchouli
04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I prefer the Northeast, inland.. and somewhere that has LOTS of trees within sight and doesn't get crazy snowfall in the winter. What kind of amenities do you mean?

My reasons for wanting to move away from metro areas and towards rural is because I've found my happiest times in life so far were spent out in nature. Consumerism turns me off. I want slower, quieter, more peaceful surroundings. I do realize there will be way less privacy in a small rural area, but I'm prepared for that. I have enjoyed aspects of city life when I lived in one, but for the most part I didn't feel like it suited my personality and lifestyle that comes naturally to me.

Great questions! Thanks for asking. I hope you can help me. :)

verfolgung
04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Wow, northest inland without crazy snow fall. Hrmmm ... I'll have to think about that.

Oh by amenities I meant if you wanted to be near things like ski areas, lakes, mountains, hiking trails, beaches, etc.

patchouli
04-13-2009, 11:44 AM
hehe. you can add KY and TN to the NE map (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_map-Northeast.PNG). I don't really want to live further south of that. I can take the heat but I have other reasons. Honestly some of my worst nightmares would be getting snowed in for 2 weeks, having to deal with daily wind chills of -10F or driving home and getting stuck in the middle of a blizzard. So that's what I mean by crazy. I hope this isn't common winter weather, but where I live we're lucky to get a few inches of snow in the winter. :(

re: amenities... hiking YES, beaches are not necessary at all but within 3-4 hours would be cool, I'm not into snow sports, lakes are awesome but not necessary. Mountains/hills nearby are also nice. I'm not too picky, but if I were surrounded by bare plains for miles and miles I might go crazy.

verfolgung
04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I was going to recommend some places in western MA, or ME but snow would certainly be an issue. Honestly, any place in the NE is likely to have a potential for a blizzard, so your best bet may be TN.

Here is a listing of all towns in TN with profiles ...

http://www.boomerater.com/newsurroundings/cities-and-towns-in-tennessee-to-relocate-or-retire?cities_tgp_no=27&cities_tgp_limit=10

I linked to the first page 27 which is the start of communities with a population less than 1000.

As you click on a profile you will also get an area of the state, and so long as you are near Mephis, Nashville or Noxville you should be able to find a SC to work at.

Here is SCL's list of TN clubs...

http://www.stripclublist.com/y.asp?s=TN

Oh and you can use tools like Google Earth or Microsoft Live to get aerials of the area you are considering...

http://maps.live.com/

Granted Microsoft Live usually does not have a lot of close up aerials of rural areas, but hopefully you can still get some earthview satellite images.

Best of luck!

patchouli
04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Awesome!! Thanks so much. :)

p.s. where in MA would you recommend?
also I am a Google Earth nut so I got that covered :)

verfolgung
04-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Well I would have recommended the northwestern part of MA.

The Berkshire Mountains area is very nice with a lot of scenic hiking areas, and it's not too far from some clubs in Springfield and Oxford, MA or even Hartford, CT.

Here is a list of towns in MA by population:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/07/09/2007_mass_population/

You'll notice if you find them on a map that they are mostly in the northwest corner of the state:

http://personal.tmlp.com/tmlpesp/RFP08-01-renewable-resource/ma_city_town%5B1%5D.pdf

However, please be aware if you go out there, you will get snow in the winter and plenty of it.

Best of luck.

patchouli
04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Ahh ok! thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

JayATee
04-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Move to upstate ny. There are several places to work in and around Albany and if you're willing to commute you can live in the middle of no where easily. You won't find 0 snow fall, but it's considerably less than say Buffalo for example.

If you want to find clubs go here:
http://stripclubs.stripperweb.com/index.php?state=754

verfolgung
04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
No problem. Hope you find some place you like.

Also, since you are planning on moving to such a small community, you may want to check out the offender registries to be sure you know who's around you.

Here is the national registry:
http://www.familywatchdog.us/

And here is TN's:
http://www.ticic.state.tn.us/sorinternet/sosearch.aspx

Take care.

Lola_sinn
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
If you are willing to consider states such as TN, VA, NC, I would really suggest you go with one of those. Pretty much all of the Northeast has rough winters, especially when you get further north to places like MA, NH. Even PA is bad--I'm from Philly, which is in the southeast corner of the state and the only part that has a semi-mild climate; I went to college in Pittsburgh for a year and had to transfer in large part because I couldn't handle the brutally cold winter, of the constant dark clouds and ice storms.

Honestly I can't say enough nice things about East Tennessee. I've traveled to Knoxville many times in the last few years (I'm kinda involved with a guy who lives there, it's a long story) and the area is just absolutely gorgeous. There's something about the geography and climate that is just so unique and beautiful. I'm a big city girl, so getting out in nature from time to time is extremely important to me too, and every time I go down there I return home feeling relaxed and refreshed. Knoxville is pretty much the only metro area in East TN as well, and it gets rural and remote really quickly within just a few miles of the city limits so you would have plenty of space as well as access to a city with a few clubs to look for work in. There's also hiking, lakes, etc. nearby...gotta love the Smoky Mountains! Plus it only snows maybe twice a year down there, usually under an inch, and spring comes in late February.

If you're not feeling Tennessee, you could also check out North Carolina and southern Virginia near the TN border(the rest of the state has either a coastal climate or a chilly mountain climate). The southern states are really a lot nicer than most people think!

Lola_sinn
04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Also...it might be a good idea for you to take a roadtrip across a few of the states that you are thinking of moving to in order to get a feel for the area and make a more informed decision. :)

patchouli
04-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Lola, we have something in common! I also was in Pittsburgh for almost 2 yrs for school but couldn't stand how cloudy it was and didn't like the winter, either. You're right though, it's not too much better back here.

TN sounds awesome! And the roadtrip is a great idea, I actually plan on taking one this summer and might just head down there. :) I was thinking of going through WV.

Jay and verf: thanks for all the links. Those are helpful! I never thought to consider the offender list..

glambman
04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Great questions! Thanks for asking. I hope you can help me. :)

You're anti-consumerism so Maine would be a great place for you. ;)

The problem I have is that I remember areas, not necessarily the towns. Around the Asheville, NC area, the 4 eastern and southern surrounding counties are nice. There is a cafe/ restaraunt whose sitting allows one to view all 5 counties.Awesome area in the fall.

Kennet Square is nice, it has about 5-6,000 people, and millions of mushrooms. Also, when you drive west from Philly and enter the town, when the road splits and up a little ways, there is an ice cream shop on the right that is owned by Cuban immigrants. yummmmy it is the best (homemade) ice cream in the US. I had 4 ice creams in one sitting once, each on waffle cones. I was in ecstacy, but it didn't fare too well for my tummy.

The best thing to do is to do daytrips (or weekend trips) in areas you think you may enjoy. There are far too many communities that are different in their own right to point to any one. Don't just jump into one without seeing it first.

Golden_Rule
04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Eastern PA and Western NJ are probably ideal. [Bucks, Northampton, Monroe, Carbon, Lehigh Counties in PA; Sussex, Warran and Hunterdon Counties in NJ]

1) It certainly is rural in many areas. You can have corn fields and cows for neighbors if you want.

2) The cost of living is relatively low. Rents are reasonable as are housing prices. Insurance and local taxes are pretty low as well. [with the exception of Hunterdon and Warren Counties in NJ, where the real-estate taxes are fairly high]

3) There are strip-clubs in these rural areas if you like local style places with regular customers.

4) A short drive away are cities like Allentown, Bethlehem and Reading, PA, Wayne and Carlstadt, NJ [among others] all with larger "gentleman's clubs".

5) A little further away, 60 to 90 minutes, are the clubs of Philadelphia and NYC.

The combo gives you a "best of both worlds" scenario.

Zofia
04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Along I-65 north of Jeffersonville, IN and south of Columbus, IN. Louisville is close enough to work, but you get small town life with relatively goo Indiana government as opposed to corrupt and inept metrogov in Louisville. Not much snow, but when a big snowfall does hit, things shut down. Winters are more rain than snow. Fall is glorious and spring and summer are not too bad. East and west of Indy along I-70 and US-40 are nice too. More snow though.

HTH
Z

Lemonz
04-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Western and eastern PA are like two different states- especially in terms of weather. Western PA gets tons of snow compared to the eastern side of the state. I'm from eastern PA- while we have negative windchills and some semi rough snowstorms/icestorms once in awhile, it really isn't too bad. It's tolerable, and really not so bad. Last winter, I didn't get snowed in at all. There were a few days I had to really work to shovel out and de-ice my car, but those days were really few and far in between.

Good things here (at least in my area) are the low cost of living, the fact that both NYC and Philly are within two hours driving distance, tons of trees, fields, creeks, lakes, mountains- all of that. I have relatives in Ohio that travel here in the fall just to see the leaves change. There's tons of places for swimming, hiking, and offroading as well- but not so much to do if you aren't an outdoors person.

verfolgung
04-14-2009, 06:35 AM
This map may help you find an area of moderate snow fall in a region that your looking at...

http://maps.howstuffworks.com/united-states-annual-snowfall-map.htm

According to the map, Lemonz is correct and south east PA has fairly moderate snow fall relative to other areas in the Northeast.

Jenna78
04-17-2009, 06:45 PM
I really like the area about 1 hour south of Saint Louis. (Desoto, Bonne Terre, Mine la Motte, Saint Genevieve) The clubs in STL can be decent and there is always Lake of the Ozarks which can be good for dancing in the summer. It is great country down there! Lots of trees, and it is cheap to buy land and houses. It is great weather imo--some winter but not too cold, it does get hot and humid but you just go swimming :)

patchouli
04-18-2009, 01:11 PM
You all given me a lot to think about! Thanks for all the info, everyone. :D
It's funny, some of you mentioned where I currently live. lol I'm looking for more green/trees, though.

ArmySGT.
04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
The drawbacks I can see right away are
1) Small towns are all about your Personal business. Tell one person your a Stripper and the whole town will Know.
2) a big reduction in your Income, your money will go into the car you need to go to work; and too commodities like food and fuel are often more expensive in small towns.

On the Plus side, their a reduction in the stressors like traffic, smog filled air, and the constant press of thousands of People. With short commutes or none to hike, camp, fish, or hunt. Probably with many more folks that like to do that and pretty often to sweeten the deal.

Try it. Not like it has to be permanent.

My sole caveat would be to keep an account with "move money" to get out; if things don't work out. Many folks move to rural areas and the low wages, prevent them from saving up to get out, if they need to.

stripperMBA
04-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Try it. Not like it has to be permanent.

My sole caveat would be to keep an account with "move money" to get out; if things don't work out. Many folks move to rural areas and the low wages, prevent them from saving up to get out, if they need to.

so very true.:yes:

Golden_Rule
04-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I really like the area about 1 hour south of Saint Louis. (Desoto, Bonne Terre, Mine la Motte, Saint Genevieve) The clubs in STL can be decent and there is always Lake of the Ozarks which can be good for dancing in the summer. It is great country down there! Lots of trees, and it is cheap to buy land and houses. It is great weather imo--some winter but not too cold, it does get hot and humid but you just go swimming :)

Just curious, what is the current situation across the river in East St Louis?

I know they use to have a horrendous reputation and were every bit as responsible as the South Florida clubs for starting the trend toward Strip-Clubs/bordellos.

Jenna78
04-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't know what its like right now...haven't worked there in over a year. But when I worked there it wasn't too bad...lots of touching, grinding, some girls being dirty but overall the dancer controlled their own level of contact.

kdbug
05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
if you are considering missouri, about 2 hours southwest of stl may be somewhere to checkk into....i grew up in a town of about 400 people, there is a TON of hiking, also lots of rivers and lakes, it snows some in the winter but not alot, it is rare that it drops below 15* and most of the towns around there are tiny, and miles apart, rent is very low, not far from there as someone mentioned before is lake of the ozarks, maybe an hour-1 1/2 hour drive through the country and there are alot of clubs there....but they are seasonal, also about a half our away there are a few clubs outside ft. leonard wood, not sure how the money is now, it was good when i was there but thats been a while....alot of girls work at the lake in the summer and the fort in winter, the only decent sized towns are st roberts and rolla which are about 45 min away, and they are both around 9000 people, the rest of the towns around there are 1000 or less, maybe somewhere to look into, some names of small towns in the area are doolittle, newburg, jerome, crocker, richland, roby, houston, edgar springs, duke, flat

hope this helps

Melonie
05-02-2009, 03:09 AM
^^^ I'll add a 'different tack' comment based on personal experience. Attempting to live in a quiet, neighborly, rural setting by day and commute to a nearby city to become a super-sexy stripper at night takes one hell of a lot of psychological adjustment twice every day. This will greatly accelerate the onset of 'burnout' as it gets to be a greater and greater effort to leave that wonderful home environment. After I moved out of urban north Jersey and up to the foothills of the Adirondacks in upstate NY, I finally gave up on the daily commute to clubs in nearby cities approach in favor of dedicated long distance road trips. At least this way I only had to go through the 'extreme' psychological transition a few times a month instead of twice a day.

Golden_Rule
05-02-2009, 12:42 PM
After I moved out of urban north Jersey and up to the foothills of the Adirondacks in upstate NY...

I knew from our exchanges we had a few things in common. Sounds like you and I followed similar tracks, though I moved to the Poconos instead of the Catskills.

I finally gave up on the daily commute to clubs in nearby cities approach in favor of dedicated long distance road trips. At least this way I only had to go through the 'extreme' psychological transition a few times a month instead of twice a day.

It had to greatly help though that you were able to define your career as a feature dancer in that regard. Would it have been as easy if that hadn't been the case?