PDA

View Full Version : Maryland TRIED raising taxes on the 'rich' ... but the Rich Go Missing !

Pages : 1 [2]

threlayer
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM
You may note on re-reading that I was listing factors not under control of government.

Eric Stoner
06-05-2009, 10:00 AM
A quick update- The Supreme Court of South Carolina has ordered Governor Sanford to fill out and file the paperwork so that the state can collect $ 700 million in Federal stimulus money earmarked for education.

Deogol
06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
A quick update- The Supreme Court of South Carolina has ordered Governor Sanford to fill out and file the paperwork so that the state can collect $ 700 million in Federal stimulus money earmarked for education.

I don't think they have the authority to do that unless the legislative branch has written a law requiring it????

Earl_the_Pearl
06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't think they have the authority to do that unless the legislative branch has written a law requiring it????
That is exactly what happened.

The Republican governor had refused to take the money designated for the state over the next two years, even after legislators passed a budget requiring him to do so

Deogol
06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
^^^ Ah, well, then yea, the governor needs to enforce the law which is accepting the money.

threlayer
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
The day that South Carolina elects a 'Fred Sanford (period)' is the day I might consider visiting that socially backward state. LOL

Blackstone
06-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Us rich folk sure hate taxes. Good thing we don't have to pay them.

Eric Stoner
06-09-2009, 07:14 AM
The day that South Carolina elects a 'Fred Sanford (period)' is the day I might consider visiting that socially backward state. LOL

Oh you poor dear. While I can take or leave Myrtle Beach, I LOVE Hilton Head and Charleston. Wait until you taste a good Frogmoor Stew or freshly caught oysters- raw or steamed. Yum !

threlayer
06-09-2009, 07:08 PM
^^ Well, bless your heart.

It's always possible to take what one wants from a place or a society and simultaneously to ignore what one finds reprehensible. Just generally talking.

threlayer
06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Us rich folk sure hate taxes. Good thing we don't have to pay them.

I like that one. :)

Eric Stoner
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
^^ Well, bless your heart.

It's always possible to take what one wants from a place or a society and simultaneously to ignore what one finds reprehensible. Just generally talking.

Have you ever been there ?

threlayer
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Simple example of their morality police....

"Craigslist recently decided to remove its erotic services ads under pressure from prosecutors in several states (most notably South Carolina’s attorney general Henry McMaster). The site was under fire for allegedly allowing illegal prostitution to flourish and came under particular scrutiny after the murder of Julissa Brisman...."

They were moralistically after prostitution, not safety issues.

Not to mention having a lot the most blatantly racially biased and discriminatory around, eg Strom Thurmond. Look at my Concepts of Democracy thread in Political Discussions, within 5 or 6 of the last posts.

Imagine being so moralistic and racially prejudiced simultaneously. Yes, I'm talking strerotypes, but they are fairly numerous

pogocat
08-23-2009, 04:37 AM
All I have to say is, on behalf of South Carolinas strippers, we welcome you Rich People. If there is anything I can do for yall, please do not hesitate to come see me in Columbia LOL!

Melonie
08-23-2009, 04:45 AM
^^^ thanks PogoCat for reinforcing a basic point of this thread ... i.e. that while 'rich' people may only constitute a very small percentage of the total population, they inarguably constitute a disproportionately high number of dollars that are spent on 'luxury' items ... among them, lap dances and VIP !!! Thus gov't policies which tend to drive 'rich' people to relocate also tend to notably reduce total spending on 'luxury' items in the area that the 'rich' people left, thus notably reducing the earnings of those still attempting to sell 'luxury' items to non-'rich' customers who have far fewer dollars to spend !

Law
05-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Maryland can't balance its budgets. Then again, most of the states in the country, GOP or Democrat alike, can't balance their budgets.

GlamourRouge
06-15-2014, 09:02 PM
I think its just pretty obvious that wealthy people can afford the best accountants and lawyers, and can use loopholes to their advantage. I don't know why people get so mad about that. There's like, nothing that can really be done about it.

Melonie
06-16-2014, 07:58 AM
^^^ indeed, 'wealthy people' have now been able to see 'not-so-wealthy' investors officially locked out of particular investment 'products' thanks to new SEC regulations regarding 'qualified investors'. Arguably, this is discrimatory since these new regulations now legally prevent a 'not-so-wealthy' investor from participating in certain highly lucrative and/or tax-favored investment opportunities ... based solely on the fact that their previous 3 years' reported incomes did not exceed $200k per year etc. ... thus preventing them from being considered 'qualified' to buy into such investments ( even if they do have the necessary buy-in cash ).