PDA

View Full Version : Canton Inn Strip Club Shutdown Delaware

mysteryman
06-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Canton Inn Shuts Down
By ELAINA ATHANS -- WMDT 6/10/2009

A Gentlemen's Club has closed its doors after the Department of Justice says prostitution was taking place inside.

"It's no longer going to be the Canton Inn in Seaford as we know it," said Representative David Short of Seaford.

Delaware's Department of Justice says plenty of illegal activity happened behind closed doors.

"Undercover agents went in there and a dancer would come up to them and say 'I will perform a sexual act on you in exchange for money,'" said Deputy Attorney General Philip Bangle.

The State says because of an undercover investigation the Canton Inn closed.

The gentlemen's club was closed under Delaware's Nuisance Abatement Law, which means that charges could either be brought forth or the owner could close the establishment. The Department of Justice says Owner David K. Lui chose to close its doors.

Bangle said, "This is an act we've been using over the last couple years to deal with properties that are havens for crime."

The Club posed a threat to the public's health, safety and welfare, according to the state. And Representative Daniel Short agrees.

He said, "A lot of citizens in the community didn't want to see it there to begin with. It was close to a housing development across the street, there have been complaints of its existance."

Lui could not be reached for comment. The State says the criminal charges against Lui have been dropped, but a civil lawsuit is now pending.

Melonie
06-13-2009, 07:21 AM
^^^ I guess that Delaware's state budget isn't in the same disastrous deficit situation as California and New York !!! Closing down strip clubs altogether deprives the state of a whole bunch of tax revenue ! But declaring exotic dancers to be employees, and empowering state Dept's of Labor to actively regulate strip clubs ( complete with documentation / regulation of dancer 'wages' ), provides a large NEW source of state tax revenue !

Kylea2
06-13-2009, 09:19 AM
^^^ I would agree with that! Some of these cities are just on a mission to get rid of the clubs... even if it means lying. I wonder how much truth there was to the charges?

Melonie
06-13-2009, 06:11 PM
^^^ in the final analysis it doesn't matter. The club is 'history', since the state of Maryland has effectively removed the financial means of the clubowner to defend himself in court by pre-emptively forcing the closure of his club.

Kylea2
06-13-2009, 06:13 PM
^^^ I know, but just on a personal level I am curious. I mean clubs in cities all over could be wiped out with lies. I'd like to see just one club stand up in court and say "we weren't doing anything illegal" and win. I doubt it will ever happen though.

Earl_the_Pearl
06-13-2009, 07:59 PM
^^^ I know, but just on a personal level I am curious. I mean clubs in cities all over could be wiped out with lies. I'd like to see just one club stand up in court and say "we weren't doing anything illegal" and win. I doubt it will ever happen though.
Well there was illegal activity going on and the police will testify to that. The thing is a dancer just hustling a PL is illegal. "If you buy a VIP room I'll let you fondle my breasts" is prostitution even if the dancer has no intention of honoring her end of the contract.

Cyril
06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
It seems to me that this business needs some serious reform. Good chunk of a Dancerís money is taken away from her by Club owners/managers. As a result, she is in constant hustle mode to get maximum money out of a PL (pathetic looser is a term used by dancers when referring to their clients) to make her endís meet. This is a highly stressful situation and this also explains why dancers are not happy. No body would be happy under such arrangement where you will be forced to part with your hard hustled money.

I support the idea of dancers working as employees of the clubs. There should be no private dances whatsoever. This rule should be strictly enforced.

Ladies can get on the stage and to their dance. PLs can tip them on the stage. After the dance is over, she can count the money hand it over to the club employee and get a receipt. On the payday, she should get her commission plus base pay in the form of a payroll check. Just like any other sales oriented job.

I think this is the best route to go.

Melonie
06-14-2009, 01:43 PM
^^^ unfortunately, today, in most cities, that sort of business model cannot be sufficiently profitable for the dancers OR for the clubs. Stage tips, cover charges and bar profits simply don't provide enough potential revenue.

Golden_Rule
06-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Well there was illegal activity going on and the police will testify to that. The thing is a dancer just hustling a PL is illegal. "If you buy a VIP room I'll let you fondle my breasts" is prostitution even if the dancer has no intention of honoring her end of the contract.

I tried to point that out in another thread.

The legal definition of what constitutes prostitution varies drastically in some states.

In some jurisdictions a, few thank goodness, an air dance could be defined as an act of prostitution as the dancer is excepting a gratuity to perform an act with the deliberate effect of causing another to become aroused.

Give a guy a boner and take cash for it and you're a hooker in some jurisdiction.

Which is why I suggest that the making of "sex worker pecking orders" simply is an exercise in futility and getting in the industry's own way as so called "decent" folk look to bring about a renewal of what they would call "virtue" in our midst.