PDA

View Full Version : SW was down for about since about 1AM today.

Pryce
01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
We're currently investigating the cause. Usage went WAAAAAAY overboard - we're talking almost a year's worth of bandwidth overnight.

FBR
01-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Boss, hope it didn't cost you much money. The sad thing is these little boys who launch attacks most likely all live with their mommy, sitting in the basement munching Doritos with the crumbs from their mouths collecting on their pubescent chest hairs. And I bet most of them wouldn't even shovel the snow from mommy's driveway in exchange for another month's internet bill.

FBR

AudreyLeigh
01-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Isn't there a way to shut the site down if it hits a really high amount of bandwith to avoid it getting that bad again. That sucks. I hope it didn't hurt your pockets (too much). :(

Djoser
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I was at work and saw that. So it was likely a troll attack of some sort?

SadieN
01-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I thought I was going to have a panic attack!

bluexxxtasy
01-11-2010, 08:29 PM
yeah my blog and a couple other folks sites got hit yesterday...such a hassle...what losers...

Pryce
01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Isn't there a way to shut the site down if it hits a really high amount of bandwith to avoid it getting that bad again. That sucks. I hope it didn't hurt your pockets (too much). :(

The bandwidth error message effectively does so. It just sucks because it takes us offline. It does cost though to get the limit raised, which we have to do to get it back open.

I was at work and saw that. So it was likely a troll attack of some sort?

The hosting folks don't see anything amiss (hacking-wise) - that is good - I couldn't find anything either. From our logs it seems Google has taken new interest and has been crawling us like crazy (1/10 of our total bandwidth).

Also it seems, the Russian's have taken an interest in us. We've been getting a lot of google translations (another 1/10) and a Russian search engine has been crawling us (yandex.ru for another 1/10).

On a smaller scale, the boys at e46fanatics.com have also been pouring in, but I have noticed an increase in trolling. Please report any suspected trolling.