PDA

View Full Version : Worm in my address book

Kellydancer
10-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I have no idea how I got this but a worm got into my address book and is sending spam to people. I tried calling MSN but never reached anyone. Anyone know how to remove it?

gianaleer
10-23-2010, 01:02 PM
you can start by changing your password and backup answers to get the password

rlams2000
10-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Try downloading and running the free version of malwarebytes.

Athenathefabulous
10-23-2010, 06:18 PM
wow i feel old. i thought at first you meant a literal, live worm in a literal, physical address book. wowza.

also never knew we had a tech section :O.

/threadjack

ArmySGT.
10-23-2010, 07:36 PM
wow i feel old. i thought at first you meant a literal, live worm in a literal, physical address book. wowza.

also never knew we had a tech section :O.

/threadjack

I have boots older than you, youngster.;D

Kellydancer
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I have tried all of the above and so far it looks like it's stopped. I changed my password, and ran various tests. Found a trojan.

Athena you reminded me of something. A few years ago I was on the phone with a friend and out of a corner of my eye saw a worm coming out of a book. I screamed because it startled me (no, not afraid of worms).

lopaw
10-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Athena you reminded me of something. A few years ago I was on the phone with a friend and out of a corner of my eye saw a worm coming out of a book. I screamed because it startled me (no, not afraid of worms).

How on earth did a worm get inside a book? :O

Kellydancer
10-24-2010, 07:46 PM
No idea but I suspect the book had it because it was old. Apparently worms can feast on the glue in books. I used to buy tons of books at used stores and several had holes in them. After this incident I sold several of them and gave the others to a library.

The Jackal
12-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I have tried all of the above and so far it looks like it's stopped. I changed my password, and ran various tests. Found a trojan.

What type of trojan did you find? What anti-virus software did you use to find the trojan on your desktop?

maximvsv
03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
How on earth did a worm get inside a book? :O

No idea but I suspect the book had it because it was old. Apparently worms can feast on the glue in books. I used to buy tons of books at used stores and several had holes in them. After this incident I sold several of them and gave the others to a library.

Origin of the term "bookworm"