PDA

View Full Version : Employee Pricing on Alcohol in Strip Clubs

Pages : [1] 2

Wolverine
12-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I feel like a damn noob asking this question, but I've had something happen recently that I had never experienced before. I've been strip clubbing for over 11 years now so I would think I would have encountered something like this at some point in that time before this.

About six months ago I met a dancer that has become something of an ATF recently. She's a bit of alcoholic though, and she loves her Grey Goose...double shot of it actually and lots of it. At the club she works, that ends up being $15 a pop plus tip to the waitress. That sort of thing drains the wallet pretty damn fast. I finally mentioned that to her one time telling her that while I enjoy buying her drinks, the fact is that that money is draining my wallet and going straight to her stomach rather than her purse. I even started jokingly say, "Be nice!" every time she asked if she could have a drink. So she switched to some fruity cocktail that cost $9. A little better I guess. She doesn't drink beer because it makes her burp and gives her the hiccups which was hilarious the one and only time I bought her a beer. On the two nights of the week that I typically see her, the club offers $1 beers. Now that I love!

Long story, short....too late...

About a month ago, she came up to me and said, "Hey, can I buy myself a drink?"

"Uh, sure, buy yourself a drink."

She says, "No, I mean, give me $5, and I'll go and order my drink from the bartender. If I buy it it's only $4." (Plus tip to the bartender of course)

"Really? Awesome! Here you go!"

And ever since then I've simply given her $5, and she orders her own drink. Sweet!

I figured that was just something with her, but then yesterday at a different club...

...I ended up hooking up with a couple of gorgeous Latina strippers around lunch time that were pretty much connected at the hip. One had just gotten off stage, and had come to sit with me while the other was still doing her stage set. The one sitting with me says, "Can you buy a drink for me and my friend? Who's your waitress?"

Well, the waitress was nowhere to be seen; it was actually pretty busy for a Thursday afternoon so the stripper says, "Actually if you give me some money, I can order from the bartender and it'll only cost $5 each. It's employee pricing and way cheaper than if you bought it."

"Hell, yeah," I say, "Here you go!"

This can't be a new thing, right? Employee pricing for strippers has to be something that's been around for a long time in strip clubs...right? So why the hell have I not been offered this before or taken advantage of it until now? It's a hell of a sweet deal, and a cheap bastard like me loves sweet deals!

Try it, you'll like it. ;D

12-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Don't know that it's very common so a nice find for you.

My experience has been that there may be a discount on water or soda but that's about it.

Not sure where they're getting the "employee" discount from...they're independant contractors.

Chili Palmer
12-10-2010, 05:40 PM
<shudder> Perhaps one of the most dreaded acronyms in stripclubbing: "BTLAD?" "Buy the Lady a Drink?"

I haven't been in every club, but in the dozens upon dozens I have been in, this is what I've experienced. Many clubs require dancers to sell "x" number of drinks per night, or else it gets added to their stage fee/taken from their tipout, however you want phrase it. At ALL of these clubs that have required it, dancer drinks are always priced higher than customer drinks. Part of PT Barnum's theory about a sucker being born every minute and all that being proved right, as so many PLs succumb to this time and again.

I've also know a few other clubs in which a manager will let a girl slide on her stage fees if she up sells "x" number of drinks, hence the higher mark-up to make up for their "loss" when a dancer hits the goal. The clubs (and the dancers) are essentially counting on you being too buzzed/horny/stupid/all of the above to know the difference, or at least not care enough to put up a stink about it.

My regulars, even at clubs where the drinks are HEAVILY pushed by all waitresses, know better than to bother trying to get me to do this scam. Many have even "shooed" the waitress away, knowing how much it annoys me. I mean, I'll happily part with $120 for 9 minutes in a VIP room with you, plus a nice tip for all your hard work, but I hate, hate, hate being nickeled and dimed to death in a club, either in form of dancer drinks, tip walks, outrageous entrance fees or, of course, excessive ATM surcharges. Just man up and say "no" to all of the above.

CP

mortalman
12-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I've only experienced the dancer drink at one place. Once was enough, $13 for some concoction in a tall glass with a long straw. Don't think there was actually any alcohol in it.

I'm going mostly, unless I'm away from home, to byob clubs now so the drink pricing is much more reasonable.

:drink: my fav seems to like my selection of beverage as well

lopaw
12-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm definitely gonna try that the next time any of my fave hollow-legged dancers approaches me in a topless joint for a drink. Wolverine's so right - those $15 long pour Goose & cranberry that the dancer's like so much can break the bank.

The clubs I frequent most are the dreaded "BTLAD?" nude clubs, where the mileage can be incredible, but the above drink idea won't fly. Unfortunately, the waitress is on your ass the second a dancer's butt plants itself in the chair next to you. Too bad sending a dancer over to the juicebar to buy her own WAAAAY overpriced Vitamin Water isn't an option.

Dirty Ernie
12-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Back before the ATF retired from OG in LV, we were able to kick it in one of the cabanas/booths along the wall without having to pay the increased drink price of $20 per, thanks to a couple of floorguys who migrated over from sapphire at the same time she did. They still got me for $13 for a pretty short Jager and Red Bull. She would get her own bottled water to save me the $6 they charged custies for that.

AmyLynne
12-10-2010, 08:52 PM
wait til the club finds out and she gets sent packing and you get 86'd. So tired of customers using us to scam the club owners out of revenue!

Dirty Ernie
12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
wait til the club finds out and she gets sent packing and you get 86'd. So tired of customers using us to scam the club owners out of revenue!

Is this directed at me? If so, I suggest dictionary.com. Type in retired.

jester214
12-10-2010, 09:03 PM

Yeah he's really using her! She came up with the idea and volunteered to do it, what a bastard! ::)

I've about decided you are a troll.

Do you think the owner would prefer the $5 and the continued revenue both the dancer and customer bring in, or lose all that on principle?

Kylea2
12-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah he's really using her! She came up with the idea and volunteered to do it, what a bastard! ::)

+1

If I were that girl I'd be thrilled that you didn't want to buy drinks & say something like "Oh, that's fabulous, that means we can go have more fun with dances!" ;D

Then again, I don't spend my money at the clubs. I don't care if there are no customers around, I'm too frugal to even buy myself a soda. Sorry, but if I'm not making money the last thing I'm going to be doing is spending it!

Dirty Ernie
12-10-2010, 10:23 PM
About half the time she would just go get it from the housemom for a couple bucks and I always offered her $5 if she did. Those booths had a $100 minimum bar tab, which was waived for me, but I doubt I ever spent less than that with a round of 2 Jager RBs, a beer and a water running $45-50 incl tip. Usually $2-250 my first night in town. I doubt the owners would have tossed me for "scamming" them.

yoda57us
12-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Well, good for you I guess but this sort of pricing doesn't exist (accept for bottled water in one club) in the clubs that I frequent. In most cases the club wants their dancers to help sell as many full-price drinks as possible.

Of course, I started clubbing in the old "combat zone" days in Boston where you would pay $15 or $20 for a dancer drink that was mostly water. Buying a fav a drink for $8 or $10 bucks isn't a big deal for me. I tend not to be attracted to dancers who drink a lot. An afternoon visit may consist of one cocktail and bottled water the rest of the way.

rickdugan
12-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I've never seen this done with alcoholic drinks, though I do see dancers getting discounted (or even free) soft drinks and water in some places. I think that there are a couple of reasons why this may not be too common: (1) as Yoda said, club owners want dancers selling full-priced drinks; and (2) selling booze on the cheap to dancers may lead to more of them getting intoxicated, something that is frowned upon in many clubs.

And ever wonder why so many dancers seem to prefer vodka or other clear liquids as their poisons? ;) Not that I blame them - if every dancer took strong alcohol in every drink bought by every customer there would be even more drunk dancers working in the clubs than we already see.

Every so often I do see "dancer" drink prices, whereby the customer pays anywhere from $20-50 for her drink (of which she gets a cut). Examples of where I have seen this practice include Boston, Baltimore, Mobile, and a couple of clubs in Queens.

AmyLynne
12-11-2010, 11:26 AM
yeah so the message is dont screw our money up.

AmyLynne
12-11-2010, 11:26 AM
you cant get an employee discount at walmart if you dont work there so dont try at the clubs either.

Dirty Ernie
12-11-2010, 11:27 AM
It ain't your money til it leaves my hand.::)

Wolverine
12-13-2010, 06:11 AM
I am aware of the "Lady's Drinks" scam, paying full price for extremely watered down versions of adult beverages. I personally hate buying those, and any time I do buy drinks for somebody, I make sure that they're at least getting the "right" drink. I tell them no "fake" drinks, and they know what I mean.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like anybody else has experienced this...at least not anybody that has read this thread so far. I can understand it maybe happening once or with one particular dancer (that is an alcoholic anyway), but to have had it happen again to a completely different dancer (one I had just met) at a different club owned by a completely different set of people is what triggered this thread. It just really surprised me, and as mentioned in my OP, I don't understand why this is something I'd never heard of until now. That second club is one I've been going to off and on for about 10 years (and actually many of the Pinks have worked there as well).

KS_Stevia
12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Some clubs require the ladies drinks, that's just their business model. Its a throwback from when there was no lapdancing, and the custy would pay $20 for a drink in order to have the girl sit there with him and give him attention.

I don't really care for it, but don't chide the stripper for doing what she has to do. If you hate it, go to another club, or don't pay for her ladies drink, she can get it off someone else potentially. But if you won't do the ladies drink, be courteous to buy many dances so that she can cover her default if she can't find someone else to buy it for her.

I have no idea about "employee pricing" even though I have been a waitress and remember dancers ordering drinks from me in the dressing room. I believe they might have been cheaper, not sure, it was over 13 years ago.

I've never bought my own drink as a stripper. If I wanted a drink, I could always find a custy to buy it for me. It was was THAT dead in the club, well then, I probably didn't need to sit around getting drunk and feeling sorry for myself, hehe. I have bought coffee for myself, and occasional irish coffee. Usually my bartender would cover it and I would give him a really good tip.

I would totally do the "employee drink" thing if it meant more money in my pocket, absolutely.

nelly33
12-15-2010, 02:01 PM
First of all, in New York State, if a customer orders a drink for somebody, and it is not what he ordered, it is a MAJOR violation of the SLA and punishable by a $10,000 fine. If you order a girl a grey goose and soda, and there is no grey goose in it, you will be fined. Repeated offenses will have your liquor license revoked. Second off, and this will certainly get flamed, but strip clubs do not exist so dancers can have more money in their pockets. Like any business, they exist so the owners can profit. If you wonder why house fees are so high in some clubs, they are because drinks get scammed etc.
If a bartender pours a free drink and you think its all good because you give him a good tip, the bartender is stealing. No grey area. He is taking profit away from the club in order to line his own pockets. When I bartended I did the same thing occasionally, but from the other side, I see it for what it really is.
Employee drink prices for non-employees is stealing.

yoda57us
12-15-2010, 04:51 PM
^ While your knowledge of NY liquor laws is impressive it really doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand. And, sorry, but strips club do partially exist so that dancers can put more money in their collective pockets. Dancers need a venue and strip club owners need a reason to charge a ten dollar cover and get twice as much money for any drink-alcoholic or otherwise-than a club without naked women could charge. It is a mutually beneficial arrangement that any good strip club owner understands.

nelly33
12-15-2010, 11:42 PM
^ While your knowledge of NY liquor laws is impressive it really doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand. And, sorry, but strips club do partially exist so that dancers can put more money in their collective pockets. Dancers need a venue and strip club owners need a reason to charge a ten dollar cover and get twice as much money for any drink-alcoholic or otherwise-than a club without naked women could charge. It is a mutually beneficial arrangement that any good strip club owner understands.

Liquor laws were brought up earlier in topic when it was said that bartenders don't pour what a customer orders for a girl. It is relevant to what was said previous. Although there are certainly shady operators out there that engage in that kind of practice anyway, if caught it will be dealt with. Reputable places do not engage in that kind of thing.
And while I will grant you that strip clubs are mutually benificial to dancers and owners, you could use that arguement in any business model; McDonalds in a mutually benifical arrangement because it benefits the owner and gives the employees a job. Strip clubs exist because the owner saw a way to make money... not so they could employ dancers.
And to get back to the main point I was trying to make... dancer's who give customers a discounted drink in order to get more of that customer's money for themselves are stealing. That was my main point. You can try to argue that strip club owners don't deserve all the money and that the girls work for it so they deserve it, but it's still stealing. There really isn't a grey area.

KS_Stevia
12-16-2010, 07:25 AM
First of all, in New York State, if a customer orders a drink for somebody, and it is not what he ordered, it is a MAJOR violation of the SLA and punishable by a $10,000 fine. If you order a girl a grey goose and soda, and there is no grey goose in it, you will be fined.

This is why most places put a splash of the booze in the drink, a very weak amount.

nelly33
12-16-2010, 11:17 AM
^^This is true, but again, not the main point I was trying to make.

KS_Stevia
12-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Exactly what point are you trying to make? That strip clubs are shady and often involved in illegal and unethical practices?

Gracias, El Capitan de obvio!

FBR
12-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Kat, this nelly person was pointing towards a Rick comment which he self deleted. Thus it looked like he was commenting on you. Too late to delete now.

FBR

rickdugan
12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry about that...in the interest of completeness, let me repeat the point.

I won't argue with nelly about the laws in NY regarding alcohol service, but despite these laws the reality is that watered booze and fake dancer drinks are exceedingly common. Hell, in the clubs I frequent in Queens it is a rare joint that actually serves an unwatered shot, and plenty of dancers are drinking alcoholic drinks sans the alcoholic beverage that is purportedly in the drink. Also, outside of NYC, it is not uncommon for bartenders to give "buybacks" to guys that are tipping well and have already bought several drinks.

I think that applying the term "stealing" to the occasional buyback or discounted drink is a little melodramatic. There are far more serious issues to get one's panties in a wad over.

Hmmm...but then again, maybe I'm not taking this seriously enough. Perhaps the next time my dancer gets a drink that I know does not have the vodka I requested, I should call the alcohol content police. ;)

yoda57us
12-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Strip clubs exist because the owner saw a way to make money... not so they could employ dancers.
And to get back to the main point I was trying to make... dancer's who give customers a discounted drink in order to get more of that customer's money for themselves are stealing. That was my main point. You can try to argue that strip club owners don't deserve all the money and that the girls work for it so they deserve it, but it's still stealing. There really isn't a grey area.

I'm not trying to argue that anyone who steals is doing the right thing. Strip club owners have as much right to their profits as dancers do. You are not however going to convince me that owners of strip clubs don't need strippers to thrive. Sports bars need big screen TV and sporting events on them to draw a crowd. No Game, no crowd. Strip clubs need strippers for the same reason. No strippers equals no customers and that equals no profit.

Also, like it or not, the law gets broken in establishments that sell liquor all over the country all the time. I'm really not debating right and wrong with you but the reality is that these things happen.

BTW, any free drinks I have ever received at a strip club all came from the club owner or manager.

Wolverine
12-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, "discount" time may be over with Dancer #1 at Club #1 (the alcoholic almost ATF). She was suspended for two weeks (can't imagine why) from that club; unfortunately it was extremely bad timing for her. She went begging to get her "job" back at a different club that had fired her back in August. They let her back, but they won't let her drink (the original reason they fired her). So the other day when I saw her she was just drinking tap water, BUT she managed to bring in a Sprite bottle that was 10% Sprite, 90% Vodka. I took a sip and thought I was going to die. Stuff tastes nasty. LOL! Don't know how long she's going to last doing that, though. Girl's nuts! But totally fun!

AmyLynne
12-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Just pay the full price. Do you go to Target or Walmart and ask for the employee discount. Youre not entitled to one.

If you get a comp thats different and budgeted for.Most managers have to track comps or issue tickets so bartenders and waitresses dont get charged for them in their sales against their tips and base.

yoda57us
12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
So the other day when I saw her she was just drinking tap water, BUT she managed to bring in a Sprite bottle that was 10% Sprite, 90% Vodka. I took a sip and thought I was going to die. Stuff tastes nasty. LOL! Don't know how long she's going to last doing that, though. Girl's nuts! But totally fun!

Sadly this reminds me of a now retired fav I knew a few years ago. She was beautiful and very sweet but also drunk most of the time. She was not allowed to drink at work after several episodes involving her loss of bodily functions in various expensive VIP room furniture....

As much as I enjoyed my visits with her it became rather depressing after a while and I moved on. Last I heard she met a guy, got out of dancing and quit drinking. I was very happy to hear that. I miss seeing her at the club but I don't miss the feeling I used to get wondering if she was going to get home alive after every shift.

Not trying to be preachy, even though it sounds that way, but drunk is not a "fun" way to go through life.

AmyLynne
12-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Buzzed is fun though! as long as you dont drive.

I just get to the point where Im a bit numb and dont care anymore. Thats when I make the most money.

jester214
12-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Just pay the full price. Do you go to Target or Walmart and ask for the employee discount. Youre not entitled to one.

If you get a comp thats different and budgeted for.Most managers have to track comps or issue tickets so bartenders and waitresses dont get charged for them in their sales against their tips and base.

If I'm getting the object for a Walmart or Target employee and just supplying the money... Why not go for the discount?

The store is still making money. I have 0 problem with it.

AmyLynne
12-17-2010, 07:32 PM
youd still not get it. go try buying something for that 400 lb cashier and see if they give you the discount. you wouldnt and they wont.

case closed.

KS_Stevia
12-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Well, "discount" time may be over with Dancer #1 at Club #1 (the alcoholic almost ATF). She was suspended for two weeks (can't imagine why) from that club; unfortunately it was extremely bad timing for her. She went begging to get her "job" back at a different club that had fired her back in August. They let her back, but they won't let her drink (the original reason they fired her). So the other day when I saw her she was just drinking tap water, BUT she managed to bring in a Sprite bottle that was 10% Sprite, 90% Vodka. I took a sip and thought I was going to die. Stuff tastes nasty. LOL! Don't know how long she's going to last doing that, though. Girl's nuts! But totally fun!

I've known many a sad girl like this. Heck, in my last dancing go round, I did the Sprite-Vodka thing too. That's when I knew it was time to quit for good, lol. :-\

youd still not get it. go try buying something for that 400 lb cashier and see if they give you the discount. you wouldnt and they wont.

case closed.

Why are you so damn concerned for the owner's profit? Do they not make enough money? Are you married to a club owner?

Seriously, think about it...if you don't have a required minimum of drinks to sell AND the drink you want is $10 from the custy but $5 at the bar. If you get it at the bar for $5 of his money, the other $5 goes to you in the form of tips and extra dances.

I don't know about you, but I was in the business to help my bottom line, not some creepy fucking club owner.

nelly33
12-18-2010, 12:41 AM
I dont think AmyLynne is concerned with the club owners profit, as much as she is saying that many people here aren't grasping that regardless of the club owner's profit, stealing is still stealing. And the accusation that she is "married to a club owner" is pointless... even if she was it doesn't change the facts or arguements she makes. An accusation like that seems like you are attacking her not for her arguement, but for her personal life.
As for the logic that club owners make enough money, that's not really a justification for stealing from them. That is the same logic I have heard from employees that work at clubs for demanding higher tip-outs from the girls... the girls make far more money than them, so
I will def agree with Yoda that strip clubs need dancers; a strip club owners needs to make concessions and make his/her club enticing for dancers to work at, otherwise they will be out of business. But in my opinion that is the extent of it. It kind of shines through in this thread as well; most of the dancers on here are clearly not worried about the owner's profit as much as their own, which is reasonable... but then it is also reasonable that the owner is looking out for himself as nobody else is.
I never know why people consider stealing alcohol different than anything else. I see nothing wrong with the occasional buyback for a good tipping customer, and did it myself often when I was bartending in a club. In a happy club atmosphere, buybacks and rewards for big spenders are part of the experience. However, in general, you can liken a bartender giving away booze in exchange for a bigger tip to a gas station attendant giving away gas at a discount rate and pocketing the money. Neither owns the product he is giving away, and both are profiting much more than they normally would. And in both cases it is stealing. If you want to make an arguement for it go ahead, but call it what it is.

"I don't know about you, but I was in the business to help my bottom line, not some creepy fucking club owner."
Does this justify stealing because you're in it for yourself and don't like the owner? Maybe for some it does, but not to me. In many of the forums I hear complaints about how stripping isn't a "real job." In no "real job" is helping your own bottom line over the owners considered ok... it's considered stealing. Even if somebody is in disagreement w/me over how alcohold pricing is concerned, this attitude isn't acceptable in any "real job."

yoda57us
12-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I never know why people consider stealing alcohol different than anything else.

Well, I can think of a few reasons. Right or wrong, here they are...

First of all anyone who has ever bought a bottle of whiskey to bring home and then ordered a shot of the same in a club knows that the mark-up on liquor is pretty darn high and bars pay even less for inventory than consumers do in a liquor store. It's not really much of a stretch for the paying consumer to think, right or wrong, that it's ok to get a freebie or a deal once in a while. The fact is, in a strip club, many customers take the same approach when they try to get a dancer to give them a break or when they buy a 2 for 1 dance. People have a tendency to place different levels of value on different sorts of commodities. A bottle of liquor that may have 15 or 20 shots in it or a dancers time represent an intangible value to the guy who is paying for them.

and speaking of dance specials....

Did dancers come up with the idea of selling two dances for the price of one? No. Was it a dancer that dreamed-up the concept of selling a t-shirt (that they are often forced to buy from the club) along with a discounted dance? Doubt it. Do dancers volunteer to do bachelor party shows on stage when they could be selling VP on the floor? Not a chance!

Who dreams up this stuff? The club owners. Why? So that more guys will come in, buy more liquor, order more food, pay more cover charges and, maybe, buy more dances. The last one, buying more dances, is often the least important factor for the club owner. When you combine the owners willingness to ask the girls to work for half price with the ridiculous house fees, tip-outs and fines that exist in some clubs do you really expect that most dancers would think of the club owners as anything but greedy?

Strictly speaking, stealing is stealing. I don't disagree with that. You can't remove human nature from the equation however. The relationship between dancer and management is often adversarial. It may be cordial if everyone is making money but it will always be tenuous at best.

AmyLynne
12-18-2010, 10:56 AM
For one Ive never given a break to a customer unless they had already historically been one of my regulars and generally I may give 1 dance for free if he pays for 2.

You dont have a choice as a dancer in what management chooses to do for promotions though I excel at finding ways to not be on the floor at those times if something is truly dumb.

Profit margins arent as high in clubs as some people think. VCGH pays 14k a month rent for PT's All Nude in Denver, then they have insurance which is another 4500 a month, utilities, legal, beverage (even non alcohol clubs have beverage expense because strip clubs dont get the breaks from Coke and Pepsi like sports bars- which often get soda systems for free for carrying the products from a particular supplier)

Ive never really seen customers try to demand as many freebies and breaks in real life as the guys here seem to all the time. And that includes customers Ive known for a few years who are friends of mine ITC- they dont ask for freebies or breaks! Do they get comps? Yes. But still managers are accountable to the owners and owners to the bottom line and if they give the house away they wont have a business anymore.

Owners invest millions of dollars and you dont just make it back. A casino on the other hand can make its money back in 1-2 years if not less.

Well, I can think of a few reasons. Right or wrong, here they are...

First of all anyone who has ever bought a bottle of whiskey to bring home and then ordered a shot of the same in a club knows that the mark-up on liquor is pretty darn high and bars pay even less for inventory than consumers do in a liquor store. It's not really much of a stretch for the paying consumer to think, right or wrong, that it's ok to get a freebie or a deal once in a while. The fact is, in a strip club, many customers take the same approach when they try to get a dancer to give them a break or when they buy a 2 for 1 dance. People have a tendency to place different levels of value on different sorts of commodities. A bottle of liquor that may have 15 or 20 shots in it or a dancers time represent an intangible value to the guy who is paying for them.

Did dancers come up with the idea of selling two dances for the price of one? No. Was it a dancer that dreamed-up the concept of selling a t-shirt (that they are often forced to buy from the club) along with a discounted dance? Doubt it. Do dancers volunteer to do bachelor party shows on stage when they could be selling VP on the floor? Not a chance!

Who dreams up this stuff? The club owners. Why? So that more guys will come in, buy more liquor, order more food, pay more cover charges and, maybe, buy more dances. The last one, buying more dances, is often the least important factor for the club owner. When you combine the owners willingness to ask the girls to work for half price with the ridiculous house fees, tip-outs and fines that exist in some clubs do you really expect that most dancers would think of the club owners as anything but greedy?

Strictly speaking, stealing is stealing. I don't disagree with that. You can't remove human nature from the equation however. The relationship between dancer and management is often adversarial. It may be cordial if everyone is making money but it will always be tenuous at best.

Dirty Ernie
12-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Who dreams up this stuff? The club owners. Why? So that more guys will come in, buy more liquor, order more food, pay more cover charges and, maybe, buy more dances. The last one, buying more dances, is often the least important factor for the club owner. When you combine the owners willingness to ask the girls to work for half price with the ridiculous house fees, tip-outs and fines that exist in some clubs do you really expect that most dancers would think of the club owners as anything but greedy

Well said Yoda.

I've spent a fair amount of money and time sitting at the bars in SCs. If I order a beer and the bartender says "I've got this one", how am I in any way a party to theft. Whether the bartender reaches into his tip jar and pays the employee rate for it, or rings it up as a comp, or just stiffs management completely doesn't involve me one iota. Those are his choices.

A casino on the other hand can make its money back in 1-2 years if not less.
\
I'm betting this is how you justify stealing from Steve Wynn if a blackjack dealer mispays you on a hand while distracted by your cleavage.

yoda57us
12-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Ive never really seen customers try to demand as many freebies and breaks in real life as the guys here seem to all the time. And that includes customers Ive known for a few years who are friends of mine ITC- they dont ask for freebies or breaks! Do they get comps? Yes. But still managers are accountable to the owners and owners to the bottom line and if they give the house away they wont have a business anymore.

This has been my experience as well. I'm obviously not a SC employee but I have spent most of my adult life working in Bars and other situations where liquor is sold. Freebies are not as common as one would think by reading this thread or others on the boards but that's the nature of what happens when you read about things on chat boards. The IRL experience usually pails in comparison.

nelly33
12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
I agree that if you are a good customer and the bartender comps you the occasional drink that may just be good business to keep the customer happy. But when dancers do it in order to get more money for themselves, or when bartenders do it for random people or do it often to increase income for themselves, then it becomes stealing.

Wolverine
12-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Sadly this reminds me of a now retired fav I knew a few years ago. She was beautiful and very sweet but also drunk most of the time. She was not allowed to drink at work after several episodes involving her loss of bodily functions in various expensive VIP room furniture....

Pretty good comparison. I've only seen her truly wasted once though since I tend to try and be her first customer of the day for various reasons. She's definitely a hot mess though. It's a bit of a cliche but if there was a picture associated with a stereotypical stripper, it would be hers. Just about everything you can think of. I made a list the other day of everything I know about her, and it's just nuts how f**ked up she is.

Anyway, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see how my giving $5 to a stripper to pay for her own drink at the bar when she says she's gets a discount is considered stealing? Because I didn't pay $10 through my waitress or if I had gone to the bar myself? It wasn't Happy Hour yet, but had we waited, drinks would have dropped to half price anyway during the two hour window they call "happy hour." I'm confused. :P

yoda57us
12-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Anyway, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see how my giving $5 to a stripper to pay for her own drink at the bar when she says she's gets a discount is considered stealing?

It's not.

jester214
12-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Well said Yoda. I'm betting this is how you justify stealing from Steve Wynn if a blackjack dealer mispays you on a hand while distracted by your cleavage.

No Dude. Her amazing cleavage is just slowing down the dealers so much that she can "count the cards". Interesting since the vast majority of the black jack dealers are Asian women...

On that note I was just in Vegas and made sure to check for myself... The Wynn uses the scanners to check the whole card like every other casino on the strip. Thus I can now safely call into question anything she says.

This is not theft in any stretch of the imagination, and since it was the dancers idea, no one is getting taken advantage of.

nelly33
12-18-2010, 09:31 PM
It's not.

Disagree. And tricks like this one drive up the price of things at strip clubs the same way false insurance claims drive up home owners insurance... the loss of revenue from the full price of the drink has to be made up somewhere. Strip clubs do cost quite a bit of money to run, regardless of markup on drinks...
Although two minutes to happy hour, you get a pass lol.

Dirty Ernie
12-18-2010, 09:43 PM
No Dude. Her amazing cleavage is just slowing down the dealers so much that she can "count the cards".

I counted cards at a double deck game a couple weeks ago at the Venetian-104 every time. Didn't help much.:'(

Wolverine
12-18-2010, 10:27 PM
It's not.

Whew! Good to know I'm not crazy!

Disagree.

Oops! Wait, what?

Yeah, I'm not seeing the disagreement here. Now had either of the strippers bought ME a drink with MY money on their discount, I might see it, but that wasn't the case in either situation. I don't usually drink anyway, and when I do I usually just buy a Dos Equis. (And no I'm not the Most Interesting Man in the World). :D

yoda57us
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Disagree. And tricks like this one drive up the price of things at strip clubs the same way false insurance claims drive up home owners insurance...

Sorry, but this is not a "trick". If the dancer's price for a drink is $5 why does it matter where the $5 comes from? The price is what the club is charging her regardless of whether the money comes out of her garter or out of a guy's pocket. Now, if she buys him a drink too at that price I would agree with you. If the club doesn't want to offer the dancer a discount on her drinks they certainly don't have to-most don't. If they do offer it however I don't see how it's a "trick" for her to take advantage of it.

AmyLynne
12-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Except youre the missing the point- as a dancer I am an considered to be part of the club even as a contractor and that allows me to get the discount. It's the same as af I worked at walmart - I would get their discount too- but I am not allowed to use it to get customers money off- it's a termination offense at most companies called conversion.

And most clubs Ive worked at give us tickets for drinks- they account for them and budget for employee tickets and customer comps as any responsible business would do.

To save a few bucks youre effectively using your dancer to steal from the very place she earns her money. Im not 100% pro club owner either but I understand that they need to make money to pay expenses and to keep the club open and I wont do anything to harm tat.

That said I do believe its insane for clubs to charge 8 bucks for folgers that sells for 1.50 at Denny's- because its the same coffee.

mortalman
12-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Except youre the missing the point- as a dancer I am an considered to be part of the club even as a contractor and that allows me to get the discount. It's the same as af I worked at walmart - I would get their discount too- but I am not allowed to use it to get customers money off- it's a termination offense at most companies called conversion.

I don't think the Walmart analogy fits though.
If I was at Walmart and the hot cashier asked me to by her some diapers and a 48 pack of toilet paper, I don't agree she would be fired just because I gave her the money and she used any discount she might get. I do agree she might get fired if she applied her employee discount to my cart full of items, but this has nothing to do with the op's strip club drink scenario.

To save a few bucks youre effectively using your dancer to steal from the very place she earns her money. Im not 100% pro club owner either but I understand that they need to make money to pay expenses and to keep the club open and I wont do anything to harm tat.

Except he is not obligated to buy her anything, so the op isn't using his dancer to do anything. It would seem she got cut off by him so she tried to find an alternative method for him to keep buying her drinks. If anything she could be said to be stealing, but she isn't because she is just buying drinks at the price the club has set for her.

I used to go to a byob club. Everything that the club sold was $5. Cup of soda, redbull, bottled water ... $5. If a dancer sat with me and I bought her something to drink, they charged me $5. If the dancer bought it at the bar, they charged her $5. I knew a dancer that would bring her own bottled water and keep it in her locker so she didn't have to pay $5 each bottle. She offered me a bottle of her water which I accepted. I didn't cheat the club owner out of $5, she did.

jester214
12-19-2010, 02:32 PM
I counted cards at a double deck game a couple weeks ago at the Venetian-104 every time. Didn't help much.:'(

LOL.

Damn the Venetian. I kicked them a few hundred and they dont even have a BUFFET?