PDA

View Full Version : The first CD you ever owned.

_Avery_
12-30-2010, 03:49 PM
My very first C.D. was Brady's.
This was sometime back in 1994!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-X6tmUTc-us/TPAVmydszNI/AAAAAAAAA04/6Fiahx81ifg/s1600/BRANDY.jpg

I wore that CD down...I pretty much all I listened to.

Omg, "I Wanna Be Down"
"Best Friend"
(among others)

Brings back memories...lol

Do you remember the first CD you ever owned??

kendallj
12-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Usher's- My Way CD... the clean version lol I got it for my birthday and thought it was def the best present ever!!! Slow Jam w/ Monica was my fav song I used to go around singing in my hair brush with my head phones on and pretend I was in the studio... o0h childhood

Kylea2
12-30-2010, 05:18 PM
... I remember my first few vinyl record (Dancing On The Ceiling by Lionel Ritchie), & then my first walkman & cassette tapes (Beach Boys & Forever Your Girl - Paula Abdul).

I really don't remember what my first CD was. It was probably "Kylie" by Kylie Minogue (I still dance to music off of that), or another Paula Abdul album.

ArmySGT.
12-30-2010, 05:38 PM
First Album- Rush- Moving Pictures
First Cassette - Iron Maiden - Powerslave
First CD - Big Country - In a Big Country

pussyinboots
12-31-2010, 12:53 AM
First CD - Big Country - In a Big Country

Someone after my own heart....or maybe just old!;D

First Vinyl Album - 'Aladdin Sane' - David Bowie

First Tape Cassette - 'Black and Blue' - Rolling Stones

First CD Album - 'Faith' - George Michael

First Internet Download - 'Life In Cartoon Motion' - Mika

brina182
12-31-2010, 05:18 AM
nsync

Kellydancer
12-31-2010, 02:57 PM
My very first CDs were when I bought my Discman in 1991. At that time they were expensive.

My first CDs:
Decade- Duran Duran
Diesel and Dust- Midnight Oil
Out of Time- REM
Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me- The Cure

Before then I bought cassettes and the first cassettes I got were Seven and the Ragged Tiger by Duran Duran and some KTel compilation called Street Beat. Remember K-Tel? I used to buy albums from them because they usually had a lot of songs.

Vinyl, I'm not sure since from childhood I had several classical, Christmas and kids albums. The first popular album I remember getting (from a neighbor) was the Birds, The Bees and the Monkees by the Monkees. The first album I remember buying with my own money was the Grease soundtrack.

Yes my family even had a 8 track but can't remember if I owned any of the 8 tracks or if it was my parents music. Mostly what was popular in the 70's.

My first download was Burning the Ground by Duran Duran.

I think my first 45 (or at least the first one I remember) was I Think I Love You by the Partridge Family.

First 12 inch record (that is to say a 45 but looks like an album) was The Reflex and Girls on Film By Duran Duran (notice a trend here? Yep, I was very much into Duran Duran).

I only still have a few of these. The tapes all broke, and I no longer have any of the vinyl except the Reflex. I have three of the CDs, I got rid of Decade. However, both Out of Time and Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me were replaced by the remastered versions and I still have them but have considered selling them because I don't need doubles.

kaiarose
12-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Sad but I never owned my own CD until I was like 16... LOL.. and it was "The Doors" L.A. Woman.. I was a huge hippie in highschool..

pussyinboots
12-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Sad but I never owned my own CD until I was like 16... LOL.. and it was
"The Doors" L.A. Woman.. I was a huge hippie in highschool..

Truck load of 'brownie points' for this....

....and 'kellydancer'...you're not the only Duran Duran fan here, I downloaded the ENTIRE Duran Duran catalogue to replace my vinyl copies, only last month!!:)

Kylea2
12-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Kelly, I love all the groups on your list. I still remember going to see The Cure in concert.

My personal "funny" though is that I've now seen Neil Diamond perform 4 times. Lol... yeah, somehow just thinking about it makes me feel old.

Trem
12-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Sad but I never owned my own CD until I was like 16... LOL.. and it was "The Doors" L.A. Woman.. I was a huge hippie in highschool..

That's not sad, that's awesome. I wish my first CD had been The Doors, i love them. It actually was C and C music factory :-[

dlabtot
12-31-2010, 08:33 PM

That was my first vinyl... 1976... I was also 16...

I don't remember my first CD...

pussyinboots
01-01-2011, 02:08 AM
My personal "funny" though is that I've now seen Neil Diamond perform 4 times. Lol... yeah, somehow just thinking about it makes me feel old.

OMG - I'd give my right arm to see Neil Diamond live! He's a major class act and has written classic after classic. He played the Glastonbury Festival 2 years ago and totally brought the house down! Sadly, we couldn't get tickets.......*sniff*

ArmySGT.
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Someone after my own heart....or maybe just old!;D

First Vinyl Album - 'Aladdin Sane' - David Bowie

First Tape Cassette - 'Black and Blue' - Rolling Stones

First CD Album - 'Faith' - George Michael

First Internet Download - 'Life In Cartoon Motion' - Mika

39 and the four "O" this Fall. Just born on the cusp of all these media changes.

Now I can go out and kick around my Dads storage and get one or two Elvis 8 tracks and likely a working player.

I have somethings on Albums because they have more sentimental value such as Barry Sadler's "Ballad of the Green Berets". What will that be worth in 40-50 years as it is on a 45?

Kylea2
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm really waiting for someone to mention their first 8 track...

ArmySGT.
01-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm really waiting for someone to mention their first 8 track...

Hey FBR! Your turn! :O

Kylea2
01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
^^^ LOL

Kellydancer
01-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Truck load of 'brownie points' for this....

....and 'kellydancer'...you're not the only Duran Duran fan here, I downloaded the ENTIRE Duran Duran catalogue to replace my vinyl copies, only last month!!:)

I've been disappointed with them lately, but really like their new song so I have faith it will be good. Their last CD sounded too much like hip hop, which I don't mind as a genre but not from them.

Kellydancer
01-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Speaking of 8 tracks I have a funny story. In 1987 (I mention the year to state this was after 8 tracks were obsolete) I was at a carnival with my parents and some family friends. My parent's friend and her son were playing this game and they won a Little Richard 8 track. He was probably only about 12 years then and when he won it said"I don't want this". My brother and me were laughing so hard that he won it. We were up next in the game and yep, we won one too! We suspect someone had a surplus. Several years later I was living with a guy who collected 8 tracks (the emotionally abusive man I've mentioned before) and gave him that tape.

Kylea2
01-02-2011, 12:29 AM
^^^^ LOL That's awesome. Giving the year was good, but saying they were obsolete was probably better. Even giving the year I'd venture to guess only about 30% of us on here would have understood the story.

AriahsPariah
01-02-2011, 10:52 AM
The Spice Girls' first album..."tell me whatcha want whatcha really really want..." lol.

Kellydancer
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM
^^^^ LOL That's awesome. Giving the year was good, but saying they were obsolete was probably better. Even giving the year I'd venture to guess only about 30% of us on here would have understood the story.

What's sad is most everyone here has probably never seen 8 tracks or played them. I remember my parents had a Jim Croce 8 track and midway during Bad, Bad Leroy Brown it skipped to the next side. 8 tracks used to do that a lot.

Speaking of obsolete formats, anyone remember reel to reel? Everyone has seen the movie version, but not many know there was also an audio version. My dad years ago actually found one along with many tapes in the garbage. Most of the reel to reel tapes he found were things I had no interest in (mostly religious) so I recorded the audio from tv shows over them.

pussyinboots
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
What's sad is most everyone here has probably never seen 8 tracks or played them. I remember my parents had a Jim Croce 8 track and midway during Bad, Bad Leroy Brown it skipped to the next side. 8 tracks used to do that a lot.

Speaking of obsolete formats, anyone remember reel to reel? Everyone has seen the movie version, but not many know there was also an audio version. My dad years ago actually found one along with many tapes in the garbage. Most of the reel to reel tapes he found were things I had no interest in (mostly religious) so I recorded the audio from tv shows over them.

Oh I remember 8 tracks...and reel to reels. Husband is a musician and collects old stuff like this. He's got some old 'Ferguson' and 'Motorola' 8 tracks somewhere in the garage, and has four gorgeous reel to reels. One he uses on the hi-fi which is a studio quality 4-track Revox using 1/2" tape, the others are 2 Technics twin-tracks and one Linn-Sondek. Getting tapes for them now is a trial though.

renaissancelove
01-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Britney Spears
Baby One More Time

And yes, I still remember all the lyrics to every song. lol

Alysa
01-04-2011, 06:04 PM
My first CD was Janet Jackson's Janet. Still a great CD!

livingdeadgirl
01-04-2011, 07:53 PM

Win! I saw Rush last summer!

my first Cd was
:paperbag: Nsync

bem401
01-05-2011, 05:20 AM
First album : Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

First CD : U2 - The Joshua Tree

First cassette : Prince - Purple Rain

First 8 track, (LOL) - Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

pussyinboots
01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I went digging around in the garage today to root out the old 8 track machines I mentioned earlier. There's one 'Motorola' 8 track and one 'Ferguson' - there's also some cassettes there as well.

Bellamy Brothers - 'Let Your Love Flow'
The Byrds - 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo'
Doobie Brothers - 'Captain and Me'

.....and.....the soundtracks to 'Grease' and 'Saturday Night Fever'.

My husband thinks that they all came with the 8 track players from a Boot Sale.

aqua
01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Britney Spears, Oops I Did It Again. Haha I listened to that like 10 times a day... these days, I can't listen to a single song 10 times in a month without getting sick of it.

*Jade*Love
01-06-2011, 12:47 AM
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom. I think I was in the 4th grade.. Loooooved it

Melonie
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Michael Jackson's 'Man in the Mirror' and Pink Floyd 'Delicate Sound of Thunder' ... bought for Christmas in 1988 !

Harlequin_Phoenix
01-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Spice Girls (first album, I think) or Weird Al - Bad Hair Day

AudrinaN
01-07-2011, 02:15 AM
TLC- Crazy Sexy Cool

ayvaleigh
01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
My first CD was Jon Bon Jovi - Crossroads when I was like 9 or so....I was convinced I would marry him! lol

kkskipper
01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
My first CD was the Spice Girls - Spiceworld :D Haven't heard it in so long! (Now I wanna find it again...)