PDA

View Full Version : Why all the 3D?

Perry
05-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Is it really that great? I tried out the Nintendo 3D DS and it made my eyes hurt. Now all the tvs and movies are doing the 3D thing. So, is this just an expensive fad that will pass? Please tell me it is. Otherwise, I think I've officially hit the age where new technology scares me.

willyo
05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
In my opinion, I don't think 3D will phase out anytime soon. In fact, they already have glasses free 3D television coming out which I'm waiting for since wearing 3D glasses is just plain stupid. I believe the next big thing coming is 3D nano chip for your eyes. As they say technology is the future.

uncontrol
05-31-2011, 06:54 PM
3D will not be going away any time soon. The movie industry is desperately pushing for it in all their movies in an attempt to gain revenue. Most live action 3D movies are converted from 2D like "Thor". Some 3D movies were actually shot in 3D ("Avatar" and "Tron Legacy"). Computer animated films are produced in 3D and virtually equivalent to shooting in 3D. As for the home market the amount of 3D programming is also limited. A handful of sporting events, as well as 3D Blu-ray.

The TVs you are seeing right now only come in three flavors. The primary kind uses the "eclipse method". These involve using active lcd glasses that blink each lens on and off very quickly in sync with the TV. The problem is the cost of the glasses is quite high, the brightness of the picture is greatly reduced, and large amounts of flicker.

The next technology is what you see in the 3DS, and what willyo is wanting. This involves creating a parallax, where each eye is seeing a slightly different image. The problem with this is that there is a very small "sweet spot". This is great on a small display like the 3DS, and even some 3D monitors. But in a living room setup, only having one person in the sweet-spot isn't feasible.

The last technology is similar to what you have in the movie theater. It uses what LG calls a "Film Pattern Retarder" (FPR). This is a fancy layer on the TV screen that splits half of the pixels for the left eye, and the other half for the right. To see in 3D, you can use the same circular-polarized glasses that you get from the movie theater. As the cost of this is decreased, I believe the popularity of this technology will increase.

Perry
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I just read an artical in Game Informer that listed past 3D fads. I actually remember saving my allowance up to buy the Game Boy 3D thing that sat on your head! Lol, I returned it pretty quickly. I just can't get on board with it as anything more than a gimmick. It's fun for a few things (would love some Mortal Kombat gore popping out at me!) but I do hope it passes.

willyo
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I remember those. The worst one was virtual boy 3d who ever thought of that should've been shot. E3 is around the corner cant wait.

Perry
06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah! New Assasin's Creed, the team from Ico has 2 upcomming games, Alice is out on the 14th.... gotta get my ass back on the pole to support my gamming addiction!

willyo
06-01-2011, 01:06 PM
So far my auto buy list is Battlefield 3, Dead Island and RE: Operation Raccoon City and maybe Twisted Metal.

Soth
06-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm avoiding movies in 3D. It's a gimmick that needs to go away again.
Frankly, I can already see in 3D and the mind converts 2D images in 3D. I don't need movies to look like silly pop-up books.

Mr Hyde
06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
gimmick/fad. Studios want this to succeed because they need to put butts in theater seats, but honestly...after the initial thrill wears off, does it really add anything to the experience? I've not seen a 3D movie yet that utterly wowed me, even Avatar.

It'll go away soon, and if it doesn't, I refuse to participate. It does nothing for me.

BouncerDude
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I am holding out for my own holodeck like on star trek.

lestat1
08-16-2011, 04:55 PM
3D doesn't work for me, so I really hate it and just have to hope it doesn't catch on big time.

BlkSharpie
08-16-2011, 05:43 PM
It was cool for like the first...20 movies. Now we dont even bother and prefer to see the regular 2D over 3D and will always go for 2D if theres the option to.

Same for cartoons I have to say...the animated movies where all the characters look like plastic are even getting a bit annoying...when we saw the trailer for the new Winnie the Pooh movie, we all squealed "I wanna seeeeee!!!" And almost immediately at the same time my ex, my daughter and I said...its a *real* cartoon!!! :D We're dying to see it...even though none of us are even Winnie the Pooh fans. Go figure...

Cheo_D
09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
A great game or movie is a great game or movie independently of 3D or 2D, and some movies or games get added value from being in 3D but it should be that: added value, nice to have but the 3D should not be fundamental, nor itself the star of the show.

Heck, sometimes it's better to avoid the latest technogimmick, or at least to disguise it so it's unobtrusive. I like BlkSharpie's example: Winnie the Pooh virtually demands cel animation (real or emulated) -- it would just feel strange to have it done in the style of Toy Story.

However the media producers - both content and hardware - are not going to give up on pushing 3D, or 6 years down the road pushing smell-o-vision, because they have to come up with something that will cause people to buy movie tickets, game units, tv sets, media players, etc. as opposed to just streaming it on their laptop. Eventually you'll have a lot of material being produced with a 3D version (or, 6 years hence, the smell-o-vision plugin) just as a matter of course "because we can/it's there/you can't get backing if you don't have this in it". And I suspect it'll end up mostly watched in 2D on a smartphone or tablet as a bootleg download anyway

Ideally, of course, there would be a wide market for 3D and 2D and CGI and handpainted animation and each would be judged on its merit. But we have to deal with media financers and consumers who are less than ideal on their best day and are seduced by gimmickry. Just about the one thing that could put the brakes on that would be if the economy led the public to come to their senses and say to themselves, "Wait a minute... I just had to change all my TVs at a cost of hundreds of dollars some 4 years ago... why the hell should I buy a new one now just so I can see Thor in 3D?"

wall
01-07-2018, 07:41 PM
A fully immersive, tailorable audience experience is a holy grail of entertainment media. Enabling via free roaming points of view (without needing to shoot addiitonal footage) would provide huge value to entertainment media.

As for strip clubs: https://venturebeat.com/2017/03/12/gold-club-sf-vr-ushers-in-realistic-virtual-reality-for-strip-clubs/