PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop

Djoser
07-29-2012, 11:42 PM
I love this program, but have a long way to go before I will be fast with it. There is so much you can do with it! I have barely scratched the surface, and some stuff I still can't figure out. Plus they keep coming out with 'New and Improved' versions of it.

I would like to see this thread be used for people to share tricks in using the program, maybe share some creations, or discuss alternatives.

I was so proud of my first webpage, and it took forever to make lol. But then I had no experience whatsoever in computer graphics. Now I look at it and see how crude it was of course. :D

One thing I need to learn is how to take what I made and convert it to html code with Dreamweaver. I've done it with 10-12 pages so far, but I haven't gotten any better at it, and I have had terrible problems going back and trying to change the pages later. Something to do with naming the pages I think...

Kellydancer
07-30-2012, 12:07 AM
use PhotoShop often but am also taking a class to upgrade my skills. Knowing PhotoShop is essential for me so I need to keep up with the latest trends.

Here are two of the things I have worked on.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2hqb383.jpg

Classic TV

http://i48.tinypic.com/70uywg.jpg

Local company

Djoser
07-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Oh wow I like that second one especially.

I still haven't really figured out how to do the lasso thing very well, to crop around the edge of an image. I can do it, but it is always slow and difficult. I know damned well there are ways to do it 10 times faster and better.

The interesting thing about Photoshop is that there is often more than one way to do something. I taught myself what I do know by searches online, like 'crop photoshop', etc. And you will often get 2-3 totally different solutions to the same problem.

One thing I find very amusing are some of the homemade instructional YouTube videos. Some of them are pretty good, actually, but a whole lot of them are useless--and often funny as hell. Not as funny when you have run into a problem and can't figure out what to do though.

:D

Kellydancer
07-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks, I really enjoyed working with PhotoShop and I find the more I work with it the better I get. Because I work in a high tech field I need to keep up with trends and PhotoShop (along with Flash)is important to know. Yes there are several ways to do things with PhotoShop and I don't know every shortcut but the more I work the better I get. The main reason I learned PhotoShop was because a former employer asked me if I knew it and at the time I didn't. Because I wanted the job I told him yes and taught myself.

SCD - NOLA
07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
One thing I need to learn is how to take what I made and convert it to html code with Dreamweaver. I've done it with 10-12 pages so far, but I haven't gotten any better at it, and I have had terrible problems going back and trying to change the pages later. Something to do with naming the pages I think...

I'm not great with Dreamweaver, but I don't think you can convert PSD files to HTML code. You need to create them in Dreamweaver. Or use them as tracing images (link (http://www.developingwebs.net/dreamweaver/tracing_images.php)).

Dreamweaver is tough. I've never tried Microsoft Expression Web, but I've thought about it. It's cheaper than any Adobe product and probably easier to use. http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Purchase.aspx

Mistress Anika
07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Are you doing page slices in Photoshop and then trying to take them into Dreamweaver? (IE background images in tables or CSS?)

Djoser
08-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Thanks, I really enjoyed working with PhotoShop and I find the more I work with it the better I get. Because I work in a high tech field I need to keep up with trends and PhotoShop (along with Flash)is important to know. Yes there are several ways to do things with PhotoShop and I don't know every shortcut but the more I work the better I get. The main reason I learned PhotoShop was because a former employer asked me if I knew it and at the time I didn't. Because I wanted the job I told him yes and taught myself.

That's great!

I have taught myself everything so far--but I started doing that when I learned graphics the hard way fresh out of college. The school I went to was great, but didn't teach me anything I needed to know about commercial art.

Some things are much easier than others in Photoshop, I have noticed! You are inspiring me to go back to it now...

Djoser
08-01-2012, 04:41 AM
SCD, Anika--what I have done is to take the Photoshop file and 'Save for web and devices' Then you can take that right into Dreamweaver and work with it there. That part is actually pretty easy. But I know there are much better ways to do all these things.

For one thing, I have had a whole lot of trouble trying to go back and revise the webpages after I have finished with everything--like say you want to change a graphic image or change the price of a video. Because of the 'naming' of the pages, somehow I wind up getting into trouble every time with this.

But I got sick of all of it back in January/February because of problems I was having with other things (the dreaded osCommerce/PHP programming). It's time to quit being a chickenshit and get back in there lol.

Thanks for all the replies!

ArmySGT.
08-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Oh wow I like that second one especially.

I still haven't really figured out how to do the lasso thing very well, to crop around the edge of an image. I can do it, but it is always slow and difficult. I know damned well there are ways to do it 10 times faster and better.

I found making the photo larger helps me to use the majick lasso tool.

Setting the background as bright yellow or a bright green then overlaying the picture or pictures on top. Easy to see any gaps.

CFMNH44
08-04-2012, 05:53 AM
It is amazing how PS has evolved, techniques on how to do the same thing also need continuous updating. There is always the temptation to go back to earlier work and 're-do' it... I have a side photography business and it amazes me how steep the learning curve can be. Just when you get comfortable they upgrade it! Scott Kelby publishes a great book on the latest version, I found it at my local library to test-drive it before deciding to buy. (Likewise Julieanne Kost (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFwQ6xEwAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fprofiles.google.com%2F1154305265 92747192094&ei=2RYdULXvIIPe0QGKiIDADA&usg=AFQjCNGUhV-PfcHQ-1nJpuJ9QYN-dgGnrQ&cad=rja) has excellent online tutorials for Adobe Lightroom.) I joined a local Adobe meetup group that has monthly meetings to discuss and share the latest techniques. You might want to check in your area to see if there are any, but be warned: The ones I attend, hosted by community college professors, are 'Adobe addicts'! ;-) They always try out the new Beta releases then tell us why we 'need' them!
One of the latest selection techniques that I learned from these dudes (and dudettes...) is to change sliders for color, saturation, etc., to make whatever you are trying to select standout, then just grab it with magic wand. A fast portrait retouch can be done by selecting the skin of the face and just turning down clarity to soften. Keep selections in a separate layer until you are comfortable with whatever you are doing to that selection.
I hope the above makes sense, everyone does things differently, there is no right or wrong...
Back to work - I'm forced to upgrade to LR4 since LR3 doesn't support my new D800... There's that sinister Adobe upgrade plot again... ;-) Lightroom used to be just for editing and selecting photos, but more are using it to do all their work, color correction, light retouching, etc. and only using PS for 'heavy duty' work.
I hope this is helpful, I'm only learning what I don't know from folks that use it daily. Have fun!