PDA

View Full Version : Sex Superbug Could Be 'Worse Than AIDS'

Tsepmet1
05-07-2013, 09:29 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100685883

Joanna_Kaary
05-07-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/07/sex-superbug-antibiotic-resistant-gonorrhea_n_3229890.html

I still wouldn't wanna catch it!

Tsepmet1
05-07-2013, 10:52 AM
God, I hate media sensationalism. Either way, I wouldn't want to catch it either.

Melonie
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
this shouldn't be a surprise ... from

(snip)"The development of a new generation of antibiotics is plagued not just by the diabolical ingenuity with which bacteria evolve to elude widely used medications. For reasons financial and legal as well, a shrinking group of biotech and pharmaceutical companies appears willing to invest the time and money to develop such medications. Such candidate drugs are costly to develop and may have to be abandoned before they pay dividends; they may be overwhelmed by resistant bacteria before they return a profit, or treat such a small population of patients they have no prospects of becoming profitable; and they may open the company that markets them to liability when they fail.

If companies are to be encouraged to develop new antibiotics capable of going up against "nightmare" strains of bacteria, IDSA has said, they will need the federal government to relax some regulatory strictures that govern drug development, extend tax credits for research and development, offers grants to biotech companies developing high-risk candidates, and foster public-private partnerships."(snip)

Or put another way, the vastly increased availability of cheap 'generic' drugs from bargain basement ( foreign ) suppliers cutting into major drug company profits, the huge potential future costs to a major drug company ( both legal and patient damages ) of 'slow to develop' side effects of a new drug, and the costs involved to fully test a new drug for FDA approval, have vastly reduced new drug research and development by those major drug companies. As a result, for the past two decades, drug resistant 'bugs' have been developing faster than the new drugs available to treat them.

OliveJardin
05-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I remember reading an article that ages ago that predicted that this disease would eventually become resistant to antibiotics. Scary!

HaydenBlue
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
legs closed forever now.