PDA

View Full Version : Dancers with criminal records

rickdugan
08-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Over the years, I've met many dancers with criminal records and more than a few who have spent time in jail.

However, this issue has really come front and center for me since I relocated to an area in the deep South. Now most of the prison stories that I've been treated to over time have come from girls in clubs in this region, but now that I reside down here, I'm hearing much more elaborate versions of these tales. I'm also coming to realize that more than a few of the girls that work in the clubs that I now frequent have been incarcerated at some point, and this includes girls working in some of the most upscale clubs in this area.

Drugs, petty theft and violations of probation are the most common issues that I've come across. What amazes me, however, is how quick the judges are around here to toss these young girls in jail to serve multi-month sentences for pretty minor stuff. My newest favorite served a 10-month sentence for something that would have likely earned her a slap on the wrist in my former state. They don't mess around down here.

I would imagine that dancing is the most lucrative available option for a girl with a criminal record, especially with so many people with clean records who are still looking for work down here. What a crappy situation. If you are a single mother with a record in an area like this, your pool of options gets really limited really fast.

And I won't even get into just how hard it seems to be for a dancer down here to keep custody of her kids, a topic which probably deserves its own thread.

BANHammerGoddess
08-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Depending on the state, and even the Parish (depending on which state) there's licenses required oftentimes in the South which supposedly will be denied to drug charges and prostitution charges. Doesn't mean that they cannot drive an hour or two down the road to find another club that doesn't require a license, but still.

The South is very much class oriented. If you don't have the money to fight it, prepare to get screwed.

simone87
08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
^ exactly..its also very racist and sexist, the cops are more piggish than they are up here if that's possible. and the ones here are pretty bad. my friend and i both got arrested for "assaulting" our boyfriends..mine hit me and stole my wallet, hers broke her ribs her eardrum and her nose. they didn't see the need to arrest either of them, just us. criminal records mean nothing to me anymore, esp with how this country incarcerates ppl at the drop of a hat, and the crooked cops/justice system. sorry for the rant

Kellydancer
08-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Simone, sadly that stuff still happens in northern states too. My former best friend was really trashy with so many problems and had a low class piece of shit boyfriend. I have never been in trouble, honor student etc while he was a nasty alcoholic and possibly sold drugs. He took a swung at me, I hit him back and I was arrested. The cop actually told me bitches like me need to know my place. He was a piece of shit cop and when my parents came to get me from the police station he called my mom a bitch too. The case went to court, he arrived drunk and told the judge she needed to drink. The case was basically thrown out with the idea that I wasn't going to have contact with him for 6 months. I wasn't dancing then either.

Rick, I have noticed this as well and I suspect it's because (at least clubs I worked at)they didn't do background checks or anything like that. Not to mention it being a cash business often attracts people who want to work under the table. Some of the dancers I worked with went to prison, but others were on probation (mostly for drug offenses). Not sure how many but I would guess more were like this than honor students. I think part of this too is because a huge percentage (probably more than half or more)were from a lower income bracket and it's harder to avoid charges if you can't afford a good lawyer.

simone87
08-17-2013, 01:22 PM
^ omg, don't even get me started about cops up here! i made the mistake of telling two that i danced ( they asked what i did for a living), and they started asking me these piggish, sexual questions and verbally harassing me about it and giggling. the other one decided i needed my car searched, with absolutely NO probable cause/reasonable suspicion just because i told them i was a stripper. i'm glad your case got thrown out, shit like this makes me so angry

Kellydancer
08-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I suspected it would be thrown out and when the guy arrived drunk (and told the judge she needed to drink)I knew chances are it would be thrown out. I know some great cops and my parents had many cop friends, but when I was dancing and I met a cop I never told him what I did because yes cops tend to be nasty towards dancers. I generally avoided bachelor parties with cops too because they were usually the most aggressive when it came to asking for extras or just being nasty.

aperfectseal
08-20-2013, 11:27 AM
the other one decided i needed my car searched, with absolutely NO probable cause/reasonable suspicion just because i told them i was a stripper. i'm glad your case got thrown out, shit like this makes me so angry

The same thing happened to me! I was in a car accident on my way to work, and it was not my fault in any way whatsoever. I was sober as a bell, I have no criminal record, and was very shook up as I was spun across the freeway at 70mph. The DPS officer that showed up asked me where I was headed, and I told him that I was on my way to work and he asked where, so I told him. 20 min later, my car is on the tow truck and I'm in my husband's car waiting to fill out paperwork, when a K-9 unit from the local police department shows up and asks if there's anything in my car that shouldn't have been there. Confused, I say, "No.....? Why?" He's like, "Oh, we just need to check, the responding officer said you were being very 'possessive' with your belongings, (My $1200 purse and my dancer bag...YEAH I'm being possessive!) and most people who get in accidents don't immediately get their things out of their car. Do you mind if I take a look in your bags?"
So I let him search my bags (I don't know why I agreed, I was just shook up and wanted to get out of there, and I knew I didn't have anything as I don't use any drugs), and he's going through my bag of lingerie on the side of the fucking freeway during rush hour, and then he has the nerve to ask my husband if he can search his car too! They didn't even search the lady who hit me, despite the fact that she made the stupidest, most dangerous, fucking move I've ever seen on the roadway.
I thought it was weird at the time, and then I suddenly realized that they decided to search me cause I said I was a dancer! Fucking pricks!

simone87
08-20-2013, 11:36 AM
^ yup, next time i am going to tell them to shove their search right up their asses ( in a nicer way perhaps lol), because im sorry but being a dancer is not reasonable suspicion!!! i hope your husband told them to piss off, that's disgusting

miss.a.p1600
08-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Dancers with criminal records....interesting topic and I bet class and money like you guys mentioned already play a major role.

I did notice the hiring requirements at the club I work (and maybe other clubs) are quite lax.

If I had a criminal record I don't know that I'd share that with customers but I guess some are more open than others