PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Canadian media still referring to sex workers as prostitutes?

TattooedBBW
11-21-2013, 11:27 AM
A Vice article about the Rob Ford scandal and the use of the word prostitute to describe sex workers:

http://m.vice.com/en_ca/read/why-is-the-canadian-media-still-referring-to-sex-workers-as-prostitues

YNOTJay
11-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Typical mainstream media bullshit... often getting it wrong.

anacol
12-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Foolery if you ask me. Someone can't be a prostitute if selling sex is legal.

YNOTJay
12-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I wonder how Rob Ford would weigh in on this one...

yoda57us
12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Foolery if you ask me. Someone can't be a prostitute if selling sex is legal.

Huh?

From Wiki....

Prostitution is the business or practice of engaging in sexual relations, especially in a promiscuous way,[1] in exchange for payment in money or other things of value.[2] A person who works in this field is called a prostitute and is a kind of sex worker. Prostitution is one of the branches of the sex industry. The legal status of prostitution varies from country to country, from being permissible but unregulated, to an enforced or unenforced crime or to a regulated profession.

Sorry folks but the word prostitute is the centuries-old accepted definition for a person that sells sex-legally or not. Not all sex workers are prostitutes but all prostitutes are sex workers. While there certainly are social stigmas attached to the word it is in fact the proper word to use when describing a person, male or female, who sells sexual services. As an old sometime stripper sometime prostitute friend of mine always used to say " It's not what you call me but what I answer to that matters."

justanothercamgirl
12-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Whoa. Selling sex is legal in Canada?
I had no idea.... now i wanna move there even more! :)

Canada is famous for its love of making laws that give Canadians the appearance of having more freedom than we actually do.

Prostitution is legal in Canada, but most surrounding activities, such as public communication for the purpose of prostitution, brothels and procuring are offenses under the law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Canada).

This means that you can have sex for money legally in Canada -- but as long as you are able to do it without any form of communication at all between you and the person that you'd like to have sex with for money. :D