PDA

View Full Version : Researcher would love to speak to UK dancers/strippers (10 voucher as thanks)

Sarah Harper
02-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Hello All,

My name's Sarah Harper and I'm doing research for a PhD at The University of York, in the UK. The moderators have very kindly given me permission to ask my question on here.

I'd really like to speak with any women in the dancing and/or stripping/adult entertainment industry about their experiences. I'm looking at activism and unionisation (or lack thereof) of lap dancers and strippers in the UK, but you don't have to be in any way interested in activism/unions for me to like to talk to you as it'd be a pretty poor study if I only spoke to those actively interested - lack of interest is just as important, strangely enough! The reason why I am doing this is because I have realised that there is just no literature on the self-organisation or perception of activism/unions by dancers, so I thought I'd best make some.

I can travel to you in the vast majority of circumstances, and I am giving a 10 One4All voucher (can be spent in loads of places, from Boots to Topshop) as a 'thank you' for giving me some of your time, to anyone who participates. Also, any dancers participating will be kept anonymous, I take confidentiality very seriously.

Just some things I'd like to clarify:

I am not anti- lap dancing

I am not using material from this website for my study, this is merely how I am asking for people to take part.

I will not be asking people why they would do lap-dancing, or question anybody's ethics concerning their work - that has been done quite enough in my opinion.

You can find my student researcher profile by following . My email address is [email protected]

My supervisor is Professor Stevi Jackson, she is the director of the Centre for Women's Studies at the University of York and if you would like to contact her about my study/credentials, her email address is [email protected]

The ethics committee I went through to say I could do this project can be contacted through this email address: [email protected]

Thanks for your time, if there are any questions, ask away. Also, if at any point I break etiquette or say something stupid without realising, please just let me know - I'm a newbie here!

Best wishes,
Sarah Harper