PDA

View Full Version : Cam-Boy Connection (A thread for the lads)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hippy Kid
05-07-2015, 04:24 PM
EDIT: LASSES WELCOME TOO, OF COURSE.

Hey all.

I contacted a few male cam-models (Camboys, I suppose?) on here, to ask if there was interest in starting a continuing thread for cam-guys to vent, exchange tips, and just generally babble incoherently about working as a male cammer.

And with that, I suppose I'll open the floor and see what happens...

Cheers,
-Danny

Abe
05-07-2015, 04:51 PM
General Advice for New Cam-boys:

You post questions, and I'll post answers.

Deal?

Hippy Kid
05-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Well, as a new Cam-boy, I suppose I have two good intro questions:

1. Which site(s) do you/have you cam(med) through?

2. What's your traffic like there?

Abe
05-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Good question,

I only work on SM.

Traffic is a little subjective, but I've found the most traffic from 8:30PM-2:00AM (EST). The key is to build up a customer base and to pull the best customers out of peak hours by making appointments with them. Get a dialogue going and slot your 'talkers' to pre-peak hours and your dom. work to post peak hours.

What else?

Nikki_Fox
05-08-2015, 08:38 AM
threadjack - I love this! I really wish you guys had an area of your own.

@abe - your suggestion is golden no matter your gender - thanks for sharing

Hippy Kid
05-08-2015, 08:47 AM
I'm on SM as well. It's way more profitable than I would ever have expected!

I agree about the traffic, thus far, although a few of my bestest regulars seem to always be on in the mid afternoon. I suppose whenever you cam, that's the time during which you'll build up a fan base.

I have noticed that there's also a pretty decent early morning crowd, but that they all seem to be more of the quick 10 minute privates, whereas the afternoon and evening crowds seem to be full of the guys looking for more involved sessions. Would you say you've found the same thing, in your longer experience?

Hippy Kid
05-08-2015, 09:51 AM
And by "strange" I mean Streamate. (I tried to edit it, but my phone won't let me...)

Abe
05-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I've had the same experience.

I think the bottom line is that you should cultivate an audience that works with a schedule you can consistently keep. I offer quick private sessions in the morning because I know that's what most guys are looking for. Understanding your demographic puts you one step ahead. I usually rack up several mini-privates (a few minutes each) without blowing my load, and that gives me the option of camming later in the evening. Unfortunately, the morning crowd tends to be the cheapest and most demanding—they want to know how long it'll take you to cum, and that's about all they care about (red-flag).

Cam-modeling is like surfing: paddle out for whichever waves you think are worth it.

Beyond good hours to work, how are you following up with your customers?

Hippy Kid
05-08-2015, 11:39 AM
I definitely agree about the consistent schedule. The rest of my life is pretty unpredictable at the moment, so that's something I keep TRYING to be able to do. It seems like just about every time I've logged on in the past week and change, someone pops in and says, "THERE you are! Gah, I've been hoping you'd be on for DAYS!" Which, is like, oh, damn, crap, poop. Grrrr. So yeah, can't wait until a consistent schedule is viable.

I haven't really had the "Cum NOW" crowd much, I think because I wear a lot more clothes than the majority of the other guys; anyone looking for a super-quick money-shot probably leaves my room ASAP! In fact, I've almost entirely had guys (and a couple supposed "gals," not so sure about those ones) who are more laid back and ask me what *I* want to do, etc.

As far as follow up, there's not much I've really been able to do. I have some contacts going, but with a full-time swing-shift job, and three people living in a one bedroom rental, I always have to say things like, "I think I might, maybe be able to hopefully be on either tomorrow or the next day at some point." Which means pretty much nothing. Gotta give some of those guys kudos though, that they'll keep logging on, not finding me several times in a row, and are still super-friendly and nice when we finally do meet up.

(Also, I was thinking it's more like either fishing or gambling, but then again, there's not much surfing in Vermont!)

Abe
05-09-2015, 10:49 AM
I completely understand about the inflexible schedule. Consistency is the hardest aspect of any business.

I'd like to touch on what I meant by 'following up.' I like to follow up with good customers because they're the exception rather than the rule. In a way it's like picking the boss you want to work for. The follow up doesn't always have to be about your next rendezvous. I have a three-stack message system:

In the first message I address them by their name (which I get as soon as possible, and boy do I utilize the notes feature) and thank them for such a good time.

The second message should be a random but sweet 'just thinking of you' and the third one should be a heads-up of when you know you'll be on next, so they can plan for you.

Let's say you know you'll be on at a specific time (always include time zones) you can roll messages one and three together. If you want to keep the spark alive, but don't know when you'll be on next, that's when the random (and sincere) message number two comes into play—be creative and fun; send him a picture of his name written on a maple leaf.

I'm glad to hear your customers are mostly gentlemen. My advice for customers who are, or claim to be, women: don't waste your time.

Next topic?

Hippy Kid
05-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Sounds like you've got it down to quite a science!

I have to say though, the few people I've met who at least claim to be women have all been exceptionally polite. Haha, once of them, apparently and ex-cammer is super fun, and pretty much lives in my chatroom when I'm on, lately.

But yes, kudos on your messaging formula, though personally I've been approaching it more organically, more like a conversion than certain unrelated emails.

I keep being surprised at how personally a lot of the guys seem to view the whole thing; I had certainly expected a more demanding, one-sided, conventional customer/service-provider relationship.

I think the low traffic for male models likely contributes to this, my understanding is that in a gal's chatroom there's usually too much going on to establish much one-on-one time with customers, which personally is where I'm getting the best conversions.

Abe
05-11-2015, 11:01 AM
The framework for follow up may be kind of sciencesque, but as we both know, it is a form of art.

I have had one or two female cam-models chat with me and they're among the most delightful conversationalists.

You're absolutely right about the disparate traffic dynamics between the ladies and gents. What most likely happens is that when cam-gals first start, there's a certain sense of intimacy that gets lost in their popularity, and I wonder if the primordial fans vie for that same level of attention. I think the same thing happens to every performer as he/she/they grow in popularity—the individual appreciation (attention) is diluted by success/number of fans.

Now I'm going to blab about Guest Chat:

I always have soothing music in the background at an appropriate volume level. I don't speak in Guest Chat because my voice is a privilege that's earned by going private. In any other context that sounds ridiculous, but there are a couple of reasons why I do it: (1) I get to put the focus on my body language and (2) I'm feeling out the rhythm of banter between each articulate line of flirtatiousness. On the flip side, other cam-boys blast their dance music, look completely disinterested, and are hard to understand.

Thoughts?

Hippy Kid
05-12-2015, 10:07 AM
I go for no music, (except a few privates where it's been requested) and lots of free chatter in public chat. For me, that seems to be the best. However, it seems, if I may be so bold, that you have more of a sex-god vibe going, while I probably have more of a cute, bubbly, innocent boy-next-door thing. I'm 23, but people online and in day to day life consistently assume I'm even younger. Perhaps in a few years I'll be able to pull off something more intense, but now I'm kind of relegated to "adorable," it appears...

Anyhow, I guess that makes me a third breed of camboy; I play no music, and I try to be interested and friendly and undemanding of each visitor from the moment they enter. Different strokes, as they say!

Abe
05-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Well, it seems our idiosyncrasies are paying off. It took me a few weeks to realize how I delighted my audience, and after hearing so many comments about how much they loved my hair, pits (Really?/:O Okay:)) and smile, I made sure to accentuate all my best features (the ones which they mentioned the most) in my profile picture. That being said, let's talk about profile pictures:

(for all the newbie cam-messieurs & cam-madames)

Your first profile picture should represent all the features you think are attractive. It may be the case that the way you see yourself is exactly how your customers do, but if it's not, you'll need to appeal to your demographic with a profile picture that draws on all the sexy qualities they see in you. Most guys won't even read your profile; they shouldn't have to—your picture should say it all. Your profile picture should reflect your look as of now. If you change your look without updating your profile picture, your diehard fans may love it (because they love you), or they may get a pleasant surprise, but most customers are upset when there's a difference between the profile picture they clicked on and the animated version of your deception.

Be the lighthouse of consistency: the boneresque beacon lures the seamen.

As for photo galleries, at least on SM, you can't delete pictures from your profile arbitrarily: "To delete photos you must have 30 approved photos and 3 approved galleries." So if you want to flood your profile with similarly themed pictures in order to remove the ones you don't like, I suppose that's a way to do it.

Thoughts?
Our next digression?

Hippy Kid
05-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Your first profile picture should represent all the features you think are attractive. It may be the case that the way you see yourself is exactly how your customers do, but if it's not, you'll need to appeal to your demographic with a profile picture that draws on all the sexy qualities they see in you.

I cannot second this enough. The features I get comments on the most are mainly ones I've never really thought about before. (I got the pits one today...) But yeah, feet, legs, butt, basically everything waist and below, I get constant compliments. I have been called adorable and cute more times in the past month than in my previous 23 years, probably including when I was too young to understand speech.

But yeah, I say take what people see in you and run with it. If people like my adorable, playful side, that's what they're going to get!

Great advice about profile pictures too. I keep meaning to email support and ask if I can get a static one...

Also this:
"...the boneresque beacon lures the seamen."

I think I just fell in love, a little!

ThankKinsey
05-13-2015, 05:53 PM
What do you guys do when you're not giving a private show? I've been camming on Streamate and Chaturbate, and feel pretty lost trying to keep people's attention when they don't want to chat. I don't know how to fill all that empty space.

What have you tried for pricing? It's so unpredictable what kind of paying traffic I'm going to get in a given session so it has been hard to come to any conclusions on what effect the different prices I've tried are really having on total revenue. Right now I'm at 2.99/min premium 5.99/min exclusive on Streamate and 30TPM privates on Chaturbate, but I've tried a lot of different prices.

Do you do any marketing?

Abe
05-13-2015, 08:05 PM
First off, welcome to the thread! It can be a little scary in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it in no time. I suggest reading everything we've written so far and whatever applies to you in Camming Connection.

To answer your first question, it doesn't matter what you doing in guest chat so much as you seem to genuinely enjoy it. If you're moving around, you better be smiling like you just won the Stanley Cup. If you're still, you better be alternating between your sexiest poses, occasionally looking at your webcam (AKA the icy unblinking digital Eye of Sauron). <--Those are pretty universal suggestions; the specific suggestions are usually reserved for things that you should not be doing.

Pricing is tricky in the beginning, and considering your profile probably doesn't have many comments, tags or ratings, it looks like you're trying to take out a loan with a non-existent (shitty) credit score. You're not going to make a whole lot of money right off the bat, but you will once you have some cards to play. Building the momentum is hard, but you can do it.

I imagine you watched all those 'training videos' which were geared toward women camming for men? The basic investments pertain to everyone: the fastest internet connection you can possibly get (afford), a Logitech® C920 or better webcam (you can write it off on your taxes), a wireless keyboard and mouse, excellent lighting, a succinct and precise profile , and a non-distracting background. If you don't have all (not most—all) of those things, then customers will cruise to the next model without considering anything about you.

Experts are just masters of the basics.

I only work on SM but I'm sure someone else reading this thread could weigh in on CB.

In my opinion, your prices are way too high for a newbie. If I were you, I'd knock them down to something of Romanian proportions, and you should be sure to suggest to your customers that some special aspect of your private session would make a good tag or comment; tell your customers how much it turns you on to be tagged as such (use your imagination). You want to build up your profile in order to goad new customers into seeing you as an object of desire. As long as you have the basics down, your prices will be directly proportional to your popularity.

I don't do marketing, but SW has myriad forums about the topic.

Hope this helps.

What's next?

-Abe

audritwo
05-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Never be afraid to raise your rates. If it doesn't work, you can always adjust them back to your original.

You can always offer video initiative for comments and ratings. Comment and 5 star gets them x video or picture set. You can also offer initiatives on length of private. 5 minute private gets them x. You can go more into detail in saved messages. And send them out when someone new comes in, during conversation, or when it's quiet. I also had a saved message going reminding people to fav and tag me.

Hippy Kid
05-14-2015, 06:47 AM
I would disagree that your prices are too high, assuming you can convince guys that you're worth it. I started on Streamate a few weeks ago at those exact prices, and after a week off doing pretty well, I bumped it up to 3.99/5.99 a minute. Business didn't drop off, and I'm making more per minute. If you're going to sit around looking bored, wearing a grungy t-shirt and eating Doritos, then yeah, you might have to drop your prices.

However, if you're putting in the effort to be interesting and attractive, in whatever manner you can pull off, I doubt you'll have any problem with your prices as they are, at least for Streamate. I realize it's a lot harder as a guy, but look at the top female models. They're charging waaaaay more than $2.99 a minute. Now, as guys, we'll likely never make THAT sort of cash, but you certainly don't need to drop your prices.

Think of McDonald's versus a classy startup restaurant. Yeah, McDonald's is way cheaper and gets way more traffic. However, that doesn't mean the new restaurant needs to charge Mickey Dees prices when they start top get any business. So yeah, if you want high volume, quick sessions, go cheap, and just hang out with your Wang out. But honestly, if you put on a great show, and you are entertaining and enticing in free chat, I say start with a price that suits you.

For my own part, I've spent considerably more time in exclusive than in premium anyway. Cater to your chosen audience. Personally, my chosen audience is people willing to spend a chunk of time and change on me!

But again, that's just my brief personal experience.

As far as what to say and/or do in public chat, that's going to depend on how YOU want to present yourself. I get the idea Abe gets amazing results through just basically looking sexy and typing. For me, what works best is a bubbling flow of friendly, personal chatter, jokes, goofing around, drinking tea, even playing guitar. When a guy pops in who's silent, a drag him into the conversation... "What do YOU think, MassiveXXX969?" Hey there, MassiveXXX969, you're awfully quiet, are you the strong silent type, or are your, ahem, hands too busy to type?"

When it gets really quiet and I feel awkward, I just tell everyone I'm getting awkward with these silent, anonymous eyes on me, and tell them to entertain me.
Is that method going to work for you? Is Abe's? Probably not. Figure out your personal vibe, your style, and run with it.

That's what I would suggest. If I tried to go for the silent, sexy, pay-to-hear-me-talk thing Abe does, I'm pretty sure I'd make about ten bucks an hour!

I do have a question for you guys. A lot of people want you to cum. It's kind of hard to fake as a guy, so how do you guys handle that? I'm not really up for cumming eight times in one night...

Abe
05-14-2015, 08:40 AM
^^^All really good advice.

Danny, the 'cum question' is what brought me to SW in the first place. Ejaculating multiple times per day takes it's toll. If it wasn't an issue guys would work indefinitely. I try to push my regulars, who want me to talk about my day and what book I'm reading while I fondle myself, to the beginning, when cumming isn't a top priority. During peak hours I get as many guys in Premium Chat and blow my load like it borderline makes me go blind doing it. Post ejaculation I either switch to a dildo show, or see if I can schedule some dom. work (which is nice because I can always cut it short if I'm exhausted).

Most guys want your freshest dollop of joy. The act of cumming is fun to watch but it's pretty evidential when you're spewing out a pool with no swimmers in it that you've most likely gotten off in the recent past. One reason I only cum once per day on SM is because I can edge the entire time until it's the right moment—it's hard to have that sort of control on subsequent rounds (possible, but tricky). The other reason is that I don't want to exhaust my sexual energy on SM and neglect my husband, whose sexual outlet is me....and jerking off of course.

audritwo
05-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Since I don't have a penis, is this bullshit?

http://www.whitelotuseast.com/MultipleOrgasm.htm

Hippy Kid
05-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Excellent advice, Abe, as I'm coming to expect from you!

And Audri, I'm pretty sure that's not bullshit. Every now and then, I've had two orgasms back to back, but only very rarely, and only if I've got someone or something in me. I'll actually ejaculate during both orgasms, but after that, boy oh boy am I DONE.

That article was talking about, as I understand it, non-ejaculatory orgasms, which are much easier to obtain, and probably pretty much anyone can do with a little practice. However, in terms of performance, nothing happens visually, externally, which is a bummer...

But yeah, definitely a thing. I have a Taoist martial arts buddy that at least claims to believe that sex and orgasm are healthy for your Qi, but ejaculating is expending your essence, and should be avoided. Apparently, he's a master...

Abe
05-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Maybe? I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works out for me.

I wonder how many stars I'd get for explaining to my customers that I just had 3 orgasms with nothing to show for it.

Hippy Kid
05-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Just a disclaimer too, while in thinking of it. I have also heard that suppressing ejaculation like this frequently can possibly lead to unpleasant side-effects, the details of which I can't remember. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I figured I'd throw that heads up out there for anyone reading!

Abe
05-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Admittedly, I've had some strange orgasms in the past: Sometimes they've been incredibly long lasting (awesome) and on two occasions I shot blanks (kind of blew my mind).

SweetJulia
05-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Not sure if I'm allowed to post here-but unless there's like a super close up of your...you know......can't you just have a squirt gun in the background, only the contents of which make it on cam? Like when I'd "squirt" thirty times in a ten hour shift? Granted, your recipe would vary from mine, but watered down condiments maybe?

Hippy Kid
05-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Hmm yeah, I suppose the few times I've cum twice could just be one long orgasm, technically. Although there is a noticeable pause of a few seconds in between. Who knows? The human body is bizarre!

But either way, none of that is of much use for camming. Short of distracting guys, I always feel mean saying, "naw, brah, I won't cum for you, I'm saving it up for some lucky guy later."

Maybe, actually, that could be a good approach, passing a cum shot off as basically being the guy who wins the daily lottery, or something...

Hippy Kid
05-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Not sure if I'm allowed to post here-but unless there's like a super close up of your...you know......can't you just have a squirt gun in the background, only the contents of which make it on cam? Like when I'd "squirt" thirty times in a ten hour shift? Granted, your recipe would vary from mine, but watered down condiments maybe?

Yeah, if course you can post here! The more the merrier.

I'm having trouble understanding this squirt bottle thing. I mean, unless the video quality is REALLY low, isn't it obvious that the liquid is coming from of screen, rather than, you know, more centrally?

I also think I'd be too apprehensive of someone calling my bluff, heh!

Edit: Also, eeeeew, watered down condiments?? I'm picturing mayonnaise, and eeeeeeew. I won't even eat that stuff... Haha, eeeeeeew.

audritwo
05-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Yeah, if course you can post here! The more the merrier.

I'm having trouble understanding this squirt bottle thing. I mean, unless the video quality is REALLY low, isn't it obvious that the liquid is coming from of screen, rather than, you know, more centrally?

I also think I'd be too apprehensive of someone calling my bluff, heh!

Edit: Also, eeeeew, watered down condiments?? I'm picturing mayonnaise, and eeeeeeew. I won't even eat that stuff... Haha, eeeeeeew.

I've seen a man cum yellow and blood. Pretty sure when I said "Hot" it came out sarcastic.

Hippy Kid
05-14-2015, 08:03 PM
I've seen a man cum yellow and blood. Pretty sure when I said "Hot" it came out sarcastic.

If I could have one wish, it would be to have not read this right before going to bed. Oh, the dreams I hope not to have...

SweetJulia
05-14-2015, 11:09 PM
You'd place the bottle under your um moneymaker or ass, it's worked for me so far-and sweet Christ-don't use mustard or ketchup.

audritwo
05-15-2015, 05:12 AM
If I could have one wish, it would be to have not read this right before going to bed. Oh, the dreams I hope not to have...

You are welcome :3

Hippy Kid
05-15-2015, 05:53 AM
You'd place the bottle under your um moneymaker or ass, it's worked for me so far-and sweet Christ-don't use mustard or ketchup.

Haha, yeah, definitely no mustard or ketchup. Relish??

Anyway, I don't think with the way I've been camming, usually full-body side view, that I could really pull that off. Maybe it should be a "Only in longer exclusive sessions with a healthy tip" sort of thing. Eh. Definitely some food for thought...

Abe
05-15-2015, 08:29 AM

Perhaps that was his ode to Ossetian flags of yesteryear?

Abe
05-15-2015, 09:18 AM
If anything, the burden of the quotidien cumshot has motivated me to reach further into other aspects of performing. By taking a qualitative approach to a seemingly quantitative issue, I no longer have to succumb to my basest audience. This business is built on the premise of objectification, but I look at it more as a hurdle unto a platform of escape, and it can come in a variety of forms: domination, JOI, red, yellow, role play, etc. The big take away here is that your 'fun' is contagious and they want to catch a piece of it from someone who's easy on their eyes. If I'm genuinely horny and I have a room full of guys willing to pay hundreds of dollars to see me please myself, I'm all for it, but in the long run it's better to get a few good customers who can afford to supplement your income—who aren't creepy or demanding. If you love your job, you never have to work a day in your life.

Next topic?

SeanWest
05-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Hello everyone :)

This is my first post but I really enjoyed this thread so I figured I'd post here :). It's definitely more difficult to find vids/educational content/resources for men then it is for woman. I've never cammed before and am in the process of getting signed up for SM and F4F. Just waiting for my replacement license to be delivered through the mail for verification. Lets see if I have any questions?...

Anyone do fetish clips on any sites?

Does anyone here sell articles of clothing (underwear, socks, etc.)?

I purchased a Logitech C920 and tripod already. Currently I don't have a laptop anymore so I should be good without a wireless keyboard/mouse, yeah?

I held off on any lighting equipment but now Abe has me second guessing XD I know lighting in any photography/video production is key but I was thinking I might be able to wing it at first. Thoughts?

Anyone here use yohimbe bark and red bull or any concoction similar?

I don't want to get personal and ask salary etc. but there's very few men that post their thoughts to webcam modeling vs women. How much did you make your first/second month webcam modeling? How much time did you put in? I understand that there are factors that would vary from model to model.

Any of you guys do voyeur shows while you go about you daily routine (getting ready for the day, cooking, showering at the end of the day, working out, etc.)?

I was going to see if I could come up with anything else...maybe we'll leave it at that for now XD

Abe
05-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Not sure how it works on F4F, but if I were you, I'd list your own 'age' to make you the youngest you can possibly get away with looking like (19 is ideal if you can get away with it).

I'll write more later, just throwing that out there before

SeanWest
05-15-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm 22 and I've always been told I look older. I'll see if I could get away with putting 18 or 19. Thank you.

Hippy Kid
05-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Although, I'm 23, and listed as 23, but everyone tells me I look at most 21, in real life and on cam. For now, people seem to life that I am slightly older but have some serious baby face.

As far as hourly average goes, that's a taboo subject, I know. That said, I'm averaging in the Mid twenties, generally speaking. It's really hitor miss though. I've logged on for several hours and barely scrapped minimum wage, and I've also had a few hours where I made over $100. It's really hard to predict, thus far. (I'm only a month in) Anyway, it's consistent enough that I'm ditching my steady job of seven years...

As far add lighting, you can probably get by with two bright desk lamps at forty five degrees in the front, draped with sheets or something, and possibly a smaller lamp, also diffused, behind you. Good lighting is pretty essential, however. I have the same camera, by the by.

I'm also wrote inserted in selling clips, if anyone had any advice in that respect. There's also a clips 4 sale thread in the camming connection.

And finally, welcome! Great to see another camboy on here!

audritwo
05-15-2015, 09:48 PM
I've never looked my age. I do put myself a little younger then I am, because I used to get "There is no way your (actual age)" I know I look like I'm in my early 20's but I don't want to play that part. I get enough "Your too young to know x." I like my age, and I'm comfortable with it. I just tell people I'm twenty something.

Hippy Kid
05-16-2015, 03:49 AM
I do put myself a little younger then I am, because I used to get "There is no way your (actual age)"

Yeah! I get a lot of that. It says 23 on my SM profile, but people always come in and ask my real age, because obviously I'm just trying to seem mature. I get when people think I'm 20 or 21, but quite often people guess 18. Or worse, I've heard "please tell me you're actually 18, right???" There is no way in Hell I don't look at least 21. Grr.

Anyway. What I'm getting around too, is that I think a lot of it is lighting, camera settings, and mannerisms. If you decide to play younger, or even older, you probably can.

Hippy Kid
05-16-2015, 03:56 AM
Haha, and then there's my girlfriend, who's actually three and a half years older than me. People guess my age young, and then think I'm a cradle-robber.

audritwo
05-16-2015, 06:45 AM
All that means is we are going to age wonderfully :D

Abe
05-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Hello everyone :)

This is my first post but I really enjoyed this thread so I figured I'd post here :). It's definitely more difficult to find vids/educational content/resources for men then it is for woman. I've never cammed before and am in the process of getting signed up for SM and F4F. Just waiting for my replacement license to be delivered through the mail for verification. Lets see if I have any questions?...

Anyone do fetish clips on any sites?

Does anyone here sell articles of clothing (underwear, socks, etc.)?

I purchased a Logitech C920 and tripod already. Currently I don't have a laptop anymore so I should be good without a wireless keyboard/mouse, yeah?

I held off on any lighting equipment but now Abe has me second guessing XD I know lighting in any photography/video production is key but I was thinking I might be able to wing it at first. Thoughts?

Anyone here use yohimbe bark and red bull or any concoction similar?

I don't want to get personal and ask salary etc. but there's very few men that post their thoughts to webcam modeling vs women. How much did you make your first/second month webcam modeling? How much time did you put in? I understand that there are factors that would vary from model to model.

Any of you guys do voyeur shows while you go about you daily routine (getting ready for the day, cooking, showering at the end of the day, working out, etc.)?

I was going to see if I could come up with anything else...maybe we'll leave it at that for now XD

(commenting on here kind of makes me feel like Lestat de Lioncourt)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by fetish clips, do you mean little sneak previews of what your customers can expect in a fetish show...as like a free video? Foot fetishes are very common. I didn't understand quite what that entailed when I was first asked to do foot fetish shows but I asked a lot of questions and there doesn't seem to be a universal answer to what your foot fetish show should entail. From what I gather (and if there is anyone reading this with a foot fetish, please fill us in) it turns customers on to do the things you shouldn't do with your toes/feet. Sometimes I'll lay on my back while I jerk off so that the full bottoms of my feet are in plain view, they love watching my toes curl as I get off. I had one guy who marveled how I could move each individual toe—I don't think I have pretty feet but then again, that's not my fetish, so who am I to judge (even myself). I do foot fetish things every once in a while but I have rules:

(1) Exclusive block sessions only.
(2) We need to talk about what's to be expected.

That pretty much extends to all dom. and fet. work on the site, and if you're wondering why it's because (1) I've gone through a sticky mess of peanut butter on the soles of my feet for a whopping 2 min. exclusive. The customer does not consider the prep work, what it feels like to wash chunks of peanut butter off your feel for an amount which scarcely covers the cost, nor the hilarity of your roommates catching you, not only naked, but handstand walking to the bathroom with your feet covered in peanut butter. This leads me to the necessity of the second rule: you have to envision what's going to happen start to finish, whether that'll be worth it or not, whether you can do it or not. The easiest way to upset a customer is to promise something you can't deliver. One of the only bad comments I ever received was from a sadist who said he wanted me to deep-throat my big vibrator, which I can do, but when we got to exclusive he basically wanted me to swallow the whole thing, plug my nose and stay that way, he only wanted to see me physically choke. I've never stopped a show before but that was really fucked up. Another reason for (1) is that sometimes guys will go private when they should have been exclusive from the get-go—big no-no. You'll alienate the rest of your audience in private if you get in a habit of doing that. Just be nice if that happens and be a diplomat, if it's cool to something very specific in a room, make sure everyone else is down with it, then relish in the joy it brings you to do it.

I thought about selling a mold of my cock as a dildo but I keep an ocean between my personal life and my life online. I feel like it's a risk I don't want to take. I don't like the idea of having any of my DNA on anything I sell because you don't know the resources your craziest customers have of tracking you down (even if you live in another country). I've certainly read about people who do it and if someone has had some personal experience they'd like to share, I'm all ears.

They voyeur thing sounds fun. I haven't done it; I feel like I'd need someone to film for me, plus I'm picky about camera angles, and I'm a one man show.

If there are any posts which have been particularly helpful to you, you should give a little thanks, it makes people feel like their words are helpful, not blabbery like mine:P

Next question?

Hippy Kid
05-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Mr. Abe sir, you have certainly NOT been pointless blabbering. If you search the web for camboys talking about their work, you almost entirely get new guys, such as myself, introducing themselves and their intent to begin camming, and the not much else.

Hearing from a successful guy who had been around for at least a little while is great! Many thanks.

Hippy Kid
05-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Question regarding Streamate, to which I couldn't find an answer in the Camming Connection or in the Streamate manual;

Is it possible to see a list of all the names of the people who have favorited you on Streamate? It's not that it's necessarily information that would be useful, but I am nevertheless curious...

audritwo
05-16-2015, 08:13 PM
I wish, but no. Only the number.

Hippy Kid
05-17-2015, 06:51 AM
Ah, well. I don't really know how that information would help anyway. It's just the burning curiosity of, "WHO ARE THESE NEW FOLLOWERS???"

Abe
05-17-2015, 09:32 AM
"Faintest mark stronger than strongest memory."

-Chinese Proverb

I think I touched on this a while ago but the note feature on SM is invaluable. I don't address people by their screen name, unless it's like Mike or Steve or something like that. I introduce myself, ask them their name and I immediately jot it down in the note section because (1) if they sign off, I'll at least see a note symbol by their screen name to signify that we'd spoken before so the next time we cross paths I can begin with their name and (2) it sounds unnatural when you're moaning 'Oh yeah CumSlinger69!' I add as much info as I can on the note feature because it helps me get ideas about the next show. If someone asks you how you remembered their name, just say how much you love that name, or that they stood out in your mind. It ruins the fantasy when you say, "I wrote it down" or even worse, "Yeah! We have this cool notes feature!"

And if you don't have time to add notes while you're ~occupied~ you can go to My Earnings and then click on the customer's name—you can add your notes from there.

As of yet, there is no performers manual for guys but I have a feeling this thread will grow in popularity over the years. That being said, if you've never read Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People (not once, but twice) you should go to a discount book store or library and get it....and then read Robert Cialdini's Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion and if you want to go for the trifecta read Verbal Judo by George Thompson. Once you read these books the lines between being a good communicator and being persuasive will become blurred: the lines between innocent active listening and gathering latent series of manipulative undertones will become distinct. It used to be that people had to know their Plato to be considered educated, then it was Shakespeare, then it was Mark Twain, now it's Harry Potter—but in our line of work we need to stay one step ahead of the human condition.

*Caveat for everyone who has finished reading all or most of the books above* Now that you realize the fault in our hardware, don't become some cynical, manipulative asshole. Use the knowledge to become a compassionate person with a fucking spine. Realize the difference between being a cam-model and a good human being. Customers are logging on here to have a good time and it's up to us to articulate how we can make that happen. The burden of listening more and communicating clearly is upon us.

I'm starting to sound preachy....next topic?

Hippy Kid
05-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Plato is still a badass.

But definitely. If I exchange even a few notable lines of convo with someone, I make notes. Then, you can call them by name, ask about their country or state, recall previous conversations and private jokes, etc.