PDA

View Full Version : Resources out there for transitioning out of adult entertainment?

rollo
09-09-2015, 08:07 AM
What ARE the resources available to dancers who want to move onto school, corporate or entrepreneurship when stripping/modeling etc. is the bulk of your career? How do you transition out of 'the life' and put together a resume, job hunt and learn to interview? I would think this would be a challenge considering the potential judgement of this industry.

Nikki_Fox
09-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Not sure what they have to offer but it cant hurt to contact them - best of luck to you :)

https://www.stripperweb.com/forum/showthread.php?200802-SEX-WORKER-RESOURCES-SWOP-etc

rollo
09-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Nikki - it looks like they are REALLY brand new in my city (Atlanta), but I'll see what's up. Thanks!

CFMNH44
09-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Not sure I can help with resources, but consider that dancing and modeling have given you skills that you may not realize you have - Sales skills and confidence. If you can stand nakid in a room of strangers, a interview with clothes on should be simple! Put up a few photos on ModelMayhem and use that as your cover story, that it has given you some good experience, meeting interesting people, but you realized you can't be a runway model or famous actress, so you're looking to use your skills in the business world.

What ARE the resources available to dancers who want to move onto school, corporate or entrepreneurship when stripping/modeling etc. is the bulk of your career? How do you transition out of 'the life' and put together a resume, job hunt and learn to interview? I would think this would be a challenge considering the potential judgement of this industry.

rollo
09-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Nocturnelle - appreciate the feedback! And your kitten quote is awesome...hahaha!!

rollo
09-10-2015, 10:02 AM
You are not "Nocturnelle"...just realized. Ugh. Thanks for your help, though!

baby-cougar
09-24-2015, 10:19 PM
This is just an offer, but I'd be happy to work with you on putting together a resume! Helped a few friends hired doing these lately :) What kind of jobs were you thinking about?

miss.a.p1600
09-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Depends.

What exactly do you want to do career wise?

You can always go to a career counseling center in your area. And start from there. Or look to your network. Who do you know that can help you out?

rollo
09-28-2015, 12:27 PM
You are very sweet to offer-thank you!! However, I can see from the responses I've gotten on here that I need to clarify. I am a former dancer, but I'm currently in HR and it has made me wonder if there are good resources out there for people in adult entertainment to transition into something more mainstream when they're ready to. How do you create your resume and show that your experience will translate into a 'traditional' job, if that's what you want? I've wondered about dancers, models etc. trying to navigate the whole job search process and adjusting to a totally different schedule and way of getting paid...if you've been dancing or camming the last five years, is there good help out there to get you to your next step? I hope this makes more sense...

baby-cougar
10-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Hmmm.. A lot of dancers I know have taken advantage of the financial stability that stripping provided them by pursing other non-dancing side jobs and passions, then later used this 'other' work experience to transition into different industries. In some cases, stripper money actually helped their non-dancing work experience in the sense that they were able to be more discerning with what kind of jobs they accepted. Maybe this sort of info ought to be brought up more to industry newcomers. I mean, there's a lot of money to be made from stripping so it makes sense to also use that money to help prepare for life after stripping in the future.

But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen any kind of comprehensive resource for helping dancers and models transition into more mainstream jobs. I do however think that a lot of the info out there that's targeted towards helping people who have been out of work for long periods of time can be easily applicable. For the most part I think that being able to translate your proven job responsibilities/abilities into business-speak is pretty crucial. For example, I know a lot of people who have managed to parlay their previous experience as dancers/models into jobs in social media analytics/PR/marketing. It makes sense since a lot of dancers and models utilize social media in order to grow and maintain their brand/clientele/network.

rollo
10-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Excellent info baby-cougar and what you said makes a lot of sense. Dancing and everything that goes along with it will definitely hone your skills in sales, marketing and PR. Plus, these days, since you have to have a presence on social media to expand your reach and customer base, your building proficiency in that area as well and that's obviously a very valuable skill to have when you're ready to move on.

ava$
10-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Depends on your goals, if its to work a job for a company than Id say were good at sales but not all of us are. If you want your own business figure out what you like and go for it. As far as resources go, In my last state there was a small business administration that is more willing to give women $ for startup businesses than they were men so you could check into what the govt might give you if you want to start up a biz but don't have lots of $$.

rollo
10-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Hmm...this is the second time it took 2 weeks to get notified of a response via email. That's annoying. Thanks for the info, Ava$!