PDA

View Full Version : The history of Stripping, Burlesque and Exotic Dancing.

Garnetroses
09-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Hello! So I just like spreading knowledge, and there was this WordPress article I was reading by It's a bombshell's World. Article name was Stripping vs. Burlesque. It talked about how the modern strip clubs really in western Canada were like the early Burlesque clubs of the 50's. I don't know. Just found it interesting. The attempt to make Burlesque more mainstream with the movie of the same name with Cher and Christina helped for the time and of course Dita Von Teese is wonderful, but it is still mostly underground. It was just interesting to learn.

DonaDiabla
09-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Actually, burlesque has been around since 1860 and it is still kicking. Stripping came out of the Burlesque shows back during the 1960s. Back in the day, stripping had a different mean because they had to put on more elaborate shows and more show girl type of behavior. Stripping was about erotic entertainment but it more mainstream now. Burlesque was mainstream from the 1920s to 1960s but was put back during the neo-burlesque 1990s. Now, the burlesque community can be a little prudish against sex workers and many think of themselves as better than us. Plus, show producers can be sizeism, racist, and sexist at times with performers. While strippers can find clubs to take them, burlesque performers can be made or broken if they do not fit into this white, pretty, and thin standard that many producers want. Plus, strip clubs might not tolent blackface but burlesque shows have featured blackface and other racial stereotypes. Dita Von Teese will be one of burlesque major stars but she used to be a blond stripper named Heather Sweet. :)

Garnetroses
09-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Actually, burlesque has been around since 1860 and it is still kicking. Stripping came out of the Burlesque shows back during the 1960s. Back in the day, stripping had a different mean because they had to put on more elaborate shows and more show girl type of behavior. Stripping was about erotic entertainment but it more mainstream now. Burlesque was mainstream from the 1920s to 1960s but was put back during the neo-burlesque 1990s. Now, the burlesque community can be a little prudish against sex workers and many think of themselves as better than us. Plus, show producers can be sizeism, racist, and sexist at times with performers. While strippers can find clubs to take them, burlesque performers can be made or broken if they do not fit into this white, pretty, and thin standard that many producers want. Plus, strip clubs might not tolent blackface but burlesque shows have featured blackface and other racial stereotypes. Dita Von Teese will be one of burlesque major stars but she used to be a blond stripper named Heather Sweet. :)

Thanks for the insight and information. I had no idea that Dita used to be a stripper. Heather Sweet? Not a bad name. It is amazing how this culture has evolved over the years, centuries. I admit. Before being an exotic dancer, I didn't understand or think to want to understand this World, but now since I am about to step into the shoes, I want to learn as much as possible. I have a greater respect for this now, and thus artform. The more you know, the more you grow Lol Thanks for the input.

Garnetroses
09-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the insight and information. I had no idea that Dita used to be a stripper. Heather Sweet? Not a bad name. It is amazing how this culture has evolved over the years, centuries. I admit. Before being an exotic dancer, I didn't understand or think to want to understand this World, but now since I am about to step into the shoes, I want to learn as much as possible. I have a greater respect for this now, and thus artform. The more you know, the more you grow Lol Thanks for the input.

SophiaUK
09-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Plus, show producers can be sizeism, racist, and sexist at times with performers. While strippers can find clubs to take them, burlesque performers can be made or broken if they do not fit into this white, pretty, and thin standard that many producers want.

Couldn't resist commenting on this as I did burly for years before moving into regular stripping (the opposite of what Dita did basically!). I find in the UK scene it's the other way round - loads of burlesque dancers are larger ladies, alternative looking etc. In fact that's partly why I stopped - most shows near me wanted alternative, tattooed type performers or 'curvy' types - and as a slim classical blonde I definitely didn't fit that mould, but I fit into a strip club pretty well.

SuperJa
09-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Couldn't resist commenting on this as I did burly for years before moving into regular stripping (the opposite of what Dita did basically!). I find in the UK scene it's the other way round - loads of burlesque dancers are larger ladies, alternative looking etc. In fact that's partly why I stopped - most shows near me wanted alternative, tattooed type performers or 'curvy' types - and as a slim classical blonde I definitely didn't fit that mould, but I fit into a strip club pretty well.

Uh yeah, so much this. Honestly there's some famous burlesque performers that could be strippers but... in our area burlesque has sort of experienced a popular revival and jfc we've had so many of those girls show up trying to work because they think since they can do burlesque they can strip and it's not remotely similar. A lot of these girls are heavy, their routines/style don't translate well to the club, and they have zero hustle.

And this is in Edmonton, where clubs still expect and pay for big shows out of their performers. If burly girls can't make it here, I can't imagine them in clubs anywhere else.

SophiaUK
09-17-2015, 02:13 PM
That is so true, they are not in any way similar. Round my way we have a few well known burly performers who I like very much as people, but they are always shouting about 'strippers together' etc. and posting things on Facebook about stripper rights, despite the fact they have never worked in a strip club and not being harsh but probably wouldn't get hired in my club. It drives me a bit mad because as you say burly and strip club work don't really have anything in common beyond removal of clothing, and even then this is done in two very different ways.

Okay mini rant over!

SuperJa
09-17-2015, 06:24 PM
That is so true, they are not in any way similar. Round my way we have a few well known burly performers who I like very much as people, but they are always shouting about 'strippers together' etc. and posting things on Facebook about stripper rights, despite the fact they have never worked in a strip club and not being harsh but probably wouldn't get hired in my club. It drives me a bit mad because as you say burly and strip club work don't really have anything in common beyond removal of clothing, and even then this is done in two very different ways.

Okay mini rant over!

There's a girl here that teaches burlesque classes and says she runs a "stripper school". Noooooo drives me up the wall.

Burlesque is well-accepted as an art form, there's no issues if you tell someone you are/want to try out burlesque dancing.

Stripping is still a stigmatized career, and it's a reality that women who strip have to live out every day. It's not a costume we put on on Friday and go twirl tassels around for a good time. Burlesque is apparently "empowering" nudity where as stripping is a terrible thing because strippers are taking off their clothes for money.

Anyways yeah, I'm sure some of these dancers are awesome people, but their frame of reference is quite skewed. At the end of the day imo strippers are saleswomen that happen to do their job naked. Some are phenomenal performers, but it's still all part of the hustle.

/rant