PDA

View Full Version : Another Poll: "Why Are You Selling"..................

minnow
01-31-2016, 06:37 PM
If you were to give a candid/honest answer to that question by a car dealer, or private party, as to why you are selling the car, what would it be ? To be clear, I'm looking for the primary reason that you sold your vehicle in the past. If you've owned multiple cars, then the most predominant recurring item that pushed you into your sell/trade decision. I'm interested only in the vehicle that was your primary means of transportation, not a vehicle that you restored and sold, or otherwise originally bought with the intention of "flipping." Please feel free to post comments,

rickdugan
01-31-2016, 07:35 PM
I buy fairly expensive SUVs that look good for a long time and have engines that easily last 200k+ miles, so I tend to keep them until they start giving me more trouble than they are worth to me. So I guess you could call it mechanical. I enjoy having a couple of extra years with a good looking and reliable auto without the car payments, but once the vehicle starts giving me too many headaches, or requires an expensive repair, off to the dealership I go.

minnow
01-31-2016, 11:57 PM
Thanks, Rick. I'll chime in on my own thread. As someone who likes to keep cars a reasonably long time (not one to buy a new or late model car every 2-3 years), I can tolerate only so many trips to the repair shop. For my half dozen or so prior cars I've owned, a rash of mechanical issues has generally been the main motivator for selling, but not always so.

In one case, I had a sports car for 10 years. Then one day I made the "mistake" of test driving a late model one with 100 more HP (and lighter to boot), and it was all over. Another time, I definitely liked the newer model HID headlights (I did a lot of night driving, including club visits ;D and more comfortable interior, but the transmission starting to make funny intermittent noises on my old ride only served to hasten my hand.

miss.a.p1600
02-01-2016, 12:04 AM
I've actually had the same one and haven't sold yet. I don't think I will ever sell it because it has sentimental value so when that time comes I'd just buy another one. Hopefully I can buy it with cash and not have to get any loans. But I'd get a new one for the technology upgrades. Also the hybrid seems interesting and I'd totally buy a suv/car I liked in hybrid model.

Dominic.2
02-01-2016, 11:40 AM
I still have my first car, for sentimental reasons, plus I still sort of like it and enjoy driving it. It's never seen the snow or salt and still has under 100K miles, so it's mechanically very sound. So I try to avoid driving newer models of it. It's a 1990 Mustang GT 5spd, you can understand why (the newer models are much better). ::)

But I've always had a beater or a daily car. Lately that daily car is a late model SUV. Because, well, guys need to tow stuff and be able to drive over stuff. :D I'll drive it for 7-9 years or so until the mechanical issues become too much (like Rick, I enjoy the years without a payment as long as I can, I'll go for a 2 year loan, if I manage 50% down, or a 4 year loan if I can't), then go shopping for a newer, late model one.

whirlerz
04-24-2016, 06:51 PM
I'd never give a car dealer an honest answer. &, I love my Hyundai beater..if I was to sell it, it would be simply to upgrade, my honest answer.