PDA

View Full Version : Goth/Vampire/Halloween/Scary-you get the point!

DDanyel
01-18-2003, 12:17 PM
After reading the Vampire Love thread, and finding a lot of great bands off of it, I thought I would start this new thread. I am looking for "different" music.

Aggressive, slutty, slinky music. Some of what I like is Genitorturers, Type O Negative, Rob Zombie, old school songs sung by Divas like Marilyn Monroe...a combo of all that stuff.....I listen to Halloween cds all year round, that kind of thing...

I like BDSM music, trance, techno, soundtracks, opera, the whole 9 yards.

Thanks ladies!!
MissB

Djoser
01-18-2003, 05:45 PM
MissBehavin,

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, more commonly known as Thrill Kill Kult (like on Kazaa) did a great Cd called Sexplosion--I just know you will love it, from your musical taste--"Sex On Wheelz" being the best and most readily accepted track. The rest of the CD is very good, very funny, and all about kinky sex, but not mainstream. They have a lot of CDs out, mostly pretty far out there, but a lot of their stuff you'll love.

Lords of Acid---slutty and slinky if I ever heard it. I have mentioned them before at least once, so sorry, MissB, if you find this redundant. The remix of "The Power is Mine"--"In Your Hand" version, should fit your requirements. The one I have is on the single CD of that stupid "Show me Your Pussy", their worst, and ironically, most played song, but it is worlds apart from that sound. Very sensuous in a kinky and haunting way. It is Track 8, what it is doing there I don't know, but its worth getting the CD for this Track. Sexy and slutty female lyrics, with a dominatrix twist--not really my fantasy but the guys love this, perfect for exotic clubs---

"Come on, boy, obey me
Lick my boots and please me..."etc

Track 5 from Farstucker is great, too, especially if you start it about 30 seconds before the end of track 4, all of which (#4) is a woman talking to & whipping her quite willing female slave--again not my fantasy but funny as hell and the slave girl is moaning with ecstasy--and just before the song ( #5-"Slave to Love") starts she says--with a final burst of delerious howling from the slave...

"Take the pain..." and wham the song kicks right in, very heavy rock, sort of Zombieish. The Dj will have to be on his toes or the effect will be ruined--before they get going he has to shut up! Something you may have noticed is hard for DJs to do, LOL

You might like track 4 from Korn's "Freak on a Leash". It is a very funked up version of that song, which may have helped get me fired after playing it on New Years Eve--the fact that the crowd loved it not meaning anything to the moron owner who listens to what we play at home through a microphone. A very sexy dancer visiting, Ashley, came upstairs to ask me what it was, she loved it, and was obviously into the goth/vampire thing.

There are some lesser known Nine Inch Nails tracks that would work, I'm thinking especially of track 3 from the "sin" single, called "Get Down, Make Love", but be warned you have to kick up the bass and drop the treble on this. Another moron owner I worked for disconnected the subwoofer because it was disturbing his concentration watching his hidden camera in the dressing room, the pathetic little geek. After he did that this song was never quite the same.

"I'm Afraid of Americans", version 2, off Rusty Nails IV, has a very moody but driving eroticism but watch your audience, this one is trickier than version 1, definitely not for the kind of twit that insulted Lola from her thread!

More Zombie oriented would be "Sex Offender" by Front Line Assembly, Track 10 from the Millenium CD, but you MUST start it 3 minutes in! It is slow and wierd before that...

Djoser

01-19-2003, 12:34 PM
FYI: Queen did the original of 'Get Down Make Love' and it's a killer version, also same CD, 'Fight From the Inside'. For more vampire music, try most of the soundtrack for 'Queen of The Damned'...'Cold', 'Slept So Long', 'Forsaken', 'Change' and 'System'...all make excellent vampire material dance-wise. I should know, I used them extensively until I stopped dancing for a while. Other good tunes, 'More Human Than Human' and 'Grease Paint and Monkey Brains' by White Zombie.

DDanyel
01-19-2003, 02:55 PM
Very good suggestions. I downloaded one or two Thrill Kill Kult...didn't really like them. I already have a bunch of Lords of Acid on one of my dancing cds, I do have the I'm afraid of americans with bowie and reznor, I also have NIN get down make love.

Lords of acid seems to be more my speed...I really like "rough sex". I have another cd, I'll have to find it, completely goth, I'll list who is on it. There was another cd someone let me borrow once, goth versions of regular songs....had a great version of nothing else matters originally by metallica sung by a chick...now I gotta find that one!!

Djoser
01-19-2003, 05:20 PM
MissBehavin, got another for you, a sort of industrial/goth/techno version of a Tool song, from "A Tribute to Tool". It is track 6, "Die Eier Von Satan" by Haujobb--never heard of them, but the song is very hot if you like this kind.

Well, thanks for the tip about Queen of the Damned, Annie_mine, I read the book but didn't even know about the movie. I will definitely get that cd and watch that movie. Have they made "The Vampire Lestat" into a movie yet? That was definitely the best of the series. I didn't care for the fourth book, Body Thief or whatever the title was. Here the guy gets to have sex for the first time in like 300 years, and who does he lust after? A guy? Yuck. She always did flirt heavily with the gay vampire thing, but that was just too much for me. To each their own, I guess...

MissB, if you like "Rough Sex" and heavier music you have to check out the remix from their "Expand your Head.com" CD, it is totally different and way heavier than the original. Ever so Ready Raven, the Nonstop Dancing Machine loved it--now where did that girl go, we miss her!--she was into Zombie and heavy stuff.

I am not surprised about your reaction to Thrill Kill Kult, their stuff is mostly very wierd, downloading random songs by them will not work! If you didn't like "Sex on Wheelz", don't bother with the rest, but you should try that before giving up, trust me. And if you do, let me know, I'll find the names of the other songs on that CD--that aren't so whacked out as most of their stuff. "Sexplosion" was a real departure for them, much more slick, smooth, and commercially viable, for them.

Its wierd how a lot of groups/DJs have all kinds of CDs that are just too out there, and you wonder how they keep producing all this stuff (who the hell is listening to it?), but then a few songs scattered within the body of their work will grab you. I'm not referring to the 'one hit wonder' phenomenon here, but groups that seem to appeal to mostly dedicated fringe elements, like Thrill Kill Kult, Skinny Puppy, etc. Dead Can Dance are like that, I loved one of their songs, bought 2 of their CDs and was very disappointed, but I'm willing to bet they have more good stuff I haven't heard yet. Anyone out there know?

But now we're getting off topic, so it's time to go...

Djoser

PS MissB, please don't forget to tell us about those Goth remixes, sounds great!

DDanyel
01-22-2003, 02:21 AM
Djoser...the name of the goth album is "The Blackest Album". It is a cd where a bunch of goth bands cover regular songs. They aren't all great, but I would say the cd is worth buying or downloading!

athena
01-22-2003, 01:53 PM
I know this is a bit more mainstream...but I absolutely adore dancing to Perfect Circle, Mer de Noms. I particularly love Magdalena. I find that the music undulates in a very sensual manner. I dance to this all the time.

Orchid
01-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Haujobb is *great* stuff - Daniel Meyer, the guy who does most of it, has another band called Clean (or Cleaner on one CD, and somethign else similar on another one...) all around GOOD stuff. May or may not be good for stripping, but it's damn good music.

I'm a goth girl. I've been clubbing in weird black clothes for ten years now. It gives my stripping-dancing (as opposed to my clubbing-dancing...) a different sort of style - I've been asked several times if I'm a belly dancer, probably because I use my arms and hands in a sort of distinctive way, but I'm just a club kid at heart.

Anyway, if you're into the newer syth-electronic-industrial stuff like Haujobb, here's a list of some other bands you might be into:
VNV Nation
Assemblage 23
Covenant
And One
Evils Toy
Velvet Acid Christ - check out an album called _Fun with knives_ and track 6 (?) called "Slut" - GREAT for stripping.
Juno Reactor - check out "God is God"
Wolfsheim

in a slightly different vein but very very good, check out Mira - they're on the Projekt label and have beautiful female vocals. I've danced to them, but it's not as good a fit for a strip club in my mind. beautiful, though.

There's a CD called _Newer Wave_ (actually, there's two volumes of it that I know of, there could be more..) which is industrial covers of new wave songs. There are *great* versions of Sex Dwarf and Whisper to a Scream on there that I've had great success dancing to. beware, though, if you like the version of Whisper to a Scream - this version is by a band called Accumen, and their other stuff sounds *nothing* like this. Download a song or two if you're curious, but they're really more noise-industrial than you'd imagine by hearing this one track.

I happen to love Skinny Puppy. I think I have to, though - they're really a big part of the roots of my kind of music. I'm young as far as the whole goth thing goes, but I know my roots, damnit! Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, Skinny Puppy... these are the bands that made stomping around in boots and black velvet fun. But I just like really weird music, anyway - one of my new favorite bands is called Converter, and manymany people find them simply unlistenable.

Djoser
01-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Hi, Orchid

Great name! I am an artist and sometimes like to paint flowers, and I saw a very nice photogaph of an orchid just last night that I may be painting soon. But anyways...

Damn, thanks for all the tips, I'll be checking those out for sure! I'm very much into the whole industrial sound, too.

I haven't heard Mira but have really learned to love the female vocals since I started DJing for dancers. Don't undeestimate the power you have to mesmerize these guys to a beautiful, if unusual song. Of couse the bikers don't get into it, so I'll have to wait, LOL, I'm working in a petty hard core place for Race Week & Bike Week, but it's temporary so I'll be allright.

I did have 'em going to a killer female vocal techno song a couple of years ago last time I worked there. It was so funny because at the exact moment the song ended all the power blew in a 5 block radius, so I would always tease the dancer about it (in a good way of course). But I digress...

Thanks again,

Djoser

Djoser
01-26-2003, 08:26 AM
And thanks MissB and Athena...

The Blackest Album, I know you said you borrowed it , but see if you can ask your friend what label it is. Don't worry about it though, I'll find it eventually.

I've been hearing a lot about Perfect Circle but when I played it it was a while ago and busy so I don't remember. I'll ty downloading Magdalena first.

Djoser

McCain
01-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Check out the Oregon band known as Darling Violetta, if you can find their stuff. Sometimes you can get it through Half.com. They are the band that does the opening song for the TV show Angel - lot of electric violins and cellos and the like. And pulling from Tre's collection, I have to say that everyone should check out Apocolyptica - they have their own music, but they also do electric-orchestral arrangements of heavy metal songs. You have to hear this band to understand why I am so impressed with them.

McCain

AutumnSexyBottom
01-27-2003, 08:45 AM
Massive Attack, Dead Can't Dance and Fiona Apple...all have sultry songs. Teardrop off of Mezzanine, is a great Massive song, there's another but I don't know the name of it...sorry.

CIAO :-*

Djoser
01-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Allright , someone please tellme a good Dead Can Dance CD, the two I got weren't good but I love their stuff. I only have one song now.

Djoser

Juliette_deSade
06-19-2003, 09:56 PM
There is another excellent Daniel Meyer sideproject called HMB. The Cd Great Industrial Love affairs was MADE to be played in a club.

Suicide Commando has an awesome song called "Hellraiser." It would make a lasting impression at work.

Aphex Twin could cause a ruckus, especially with good lighting.

cut.rate.box does a cool cover of "Behind the Weel" originally written by Depeche Mode.

Pragha Khan has a song that always goes over well, no matter where. It is called "Breakfast in Vegas". The first line of it is"
I smell your sweat on my skin
Breakfast in Vegas
on cocaine and gin............

I could go on forever. Let my know if you want more suggestions!

Juliette

ChadW
06-20-2003, 01:55 PM
For mood and drama, you've gotta have some Bauhaus stuff in there. You can get a remix of "Bela Lugosi's dead" off WinMX. There are other Bauhaus songs you may wish to check out particularly from earlier albums "In the flatfield", "Mask" and "The sky's gone out".
Cleopatra records still do a bit with goth music, as do gotham records - try checking those sites too.
Would love to hear how it goes. :) ;)

Juliette_deSade
06-26-2003, 02:54 AM
Bauhaus is better for the VERY end of the night. It's very hard to make it a graceful squeeze between Nickelback and Lil' Kim.

I have found Metropolis Records to be a good scource of Goth/ Industrial/EBM.

More spooky tunes:
Terminal Choice- I Want you
Hocico-boiling blood.
Beborn Beton- Another world.

Again, I can't stress enough that timing is everything. This genre is very tricky to pull off ALL the time. You have to read your audience. Find a balance of who you are and what you want them to see. Save the hardcore shit for when you have a large customer base present.

Yes, this means that sometimes you have to dance to Def Leppard whan you really don't wanna.

*Sigh
Juliette

preciousinMO
07-13-2003, 07:59 PM
try Ofortuna by Therion it might be what you are looking for. I played it with my halloween set last year and went over so well. If you like dark organs playing and that type of scary stuff. It's worth your time, In my opinion

Juliette_deSade
07-15-2003, 09:46 AM
I thought Apothesis did Ofortuna???/

Beckishness
07-16-2003, 03:34 PM
I know that you already mentioned some Zombie to play, but I just have to recommend a certain song from his remix cd "American Made Music to Strip By". It's the 3rd track and it's called "How To Make A Monster (Kitty's Purrrrrformance Mix)". I love this song! Its gotta dark kinda beat to it; I hope it's what your looking for.

Juliette_deSade
08-06-2003, 12:35 PM
The ULTIMATE Halloweeny song is called Haunted House by spf1000. It's a very popular song on rivethead dancefloors-it has been for a couple of years now, it seems! But it's very high energy, and I would do this at a SC, as soon as it's done downloading.

PS- I use DC++ filesharing software. You have to find a hub first....basically the hub can get shut down but the user cannot get in trouble. The hubs work like smaller groups of "friends" trading music.

deaddeaddeadkillkillkillkill
-spf1000

Juliette de Sade

Bridgette
08-09-2003, 11:46 PM
I found some stuff by Ladytron I like. One song in particular called Blue Jeans sounds VERY goth/Vampire/Halloweeny to me - got that whole organ thing in the background and robotic female vocals. I've found quite a bit of their stuff on WinMX lately - give it a try.

Juliette_deSade
08-10-2003, 04:45 AM
Allright , someone please tellme a good Dead Can Dance CD, the two I got weren't good but I love their stuff. I only have one song now.

Djoser

My favorite DCD album is Into the Labrynth. I know it's their most commercial, but it has an awesome flow-the songs belong in the chronological order that they are placed in. Which do you have?

Juliette de Sade

phillydj
11-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Im late but..
"Love Never Dies"Apoptygama Berzerk
"Blood Letting"Concrete Blonde
"Cornflake Girl"Tapping the Vain

Kianna_Jayde
11-25-2003, 07:20 PM
I love the Queen of the Damned soundtrack, especially Slept So Long. And thanks for the tip on Queen 'Get Down Make Love'! Been looking for dancing to that song, and I will tonight!! ;D