PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Songs

Pages : [1] 2

Socks
02-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Sure, no song is truely forbidden from being danced to and some are better than others but are there some songs that dancing to shows bad taste?

I read on this topic how some thought the latest from Tori Amos, Scarlett's Walk, was great and loved to dance to it but these are songs (most not directly) about Sept. 11th. Does this show bad taste? What songs do?

LEIGH_LANDON
02-13-2003, 06:00 PM
I remember another dancer way out in a small town bar booking --there were 4 of us-- a feature --I was the co-feature and 2 showgirls, one of the showgirls danced to "That Smell" was that Lynard Skynard? Really old rock tune, I remember being mortified...the words of that song while she touched herself? YIKES!!! I'm still scarred, lol!
A different kind of "bad taste" but yah I get your meaning...
Remember that Bruce springsteen tune, from the movie where Tom Hanks is gay and dies of AIDS? Philidelphia (pardon my spelling...) That song from the soundtrack about dying from aids? I was distressed to watch a girl try to be sensual to a song that spoke of the pain of dying with this disease... again I thought that was a poor choice, and yah I guess in bad taste too.

McCain
02-14-2003, 10:08 AM
I've made another girl run off stage crying during a multi-girl set where I picked the music - I apparently erred in my choice of Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side".

So I'm guessing that one is perhaps a really bad idea.

I would also avoid Toby Keith's "Courtesy of The Red, White, & Blue", as it provokes some very controversial feelings in bleeding heart liberals.

McCain

Orchid
02-15-2003, 12:30 AM
I've done "walk on the wild side" with no ill effects...

I have seen girls do "who let the dogs out" - which I found only mildly horrifying - and "my sharona", which is just wrong. I don't think strippers should dance to songs about pedophelia.

Djoser
02-15-2003, 05:23 AM
These songs are often only bad if the guys actually listen to the lyrics, which most of 'em are not cerebrally oriented enough to do in an exotic dance bar, their consciousness being focused much further south.

"Walk on the Wild Side" does have the whole gay/TV thing going but I would play it without hesitation for the right girl, & I have used that line when flirting, but certainly not with gays (yuck, lol).

I have played "Who let the dogs out", but a special remix which is less ghetto, more techno, and usually on those occasions when a dancer brought her dog in the club--I'm sorry I could not resist doing that and will do it again if they let the critters in the club, I am an animal lover.

I have always detested "My Sharona" and the Knack, although there are certainly worse bands and songs. I didn't know it was about pedophilia--one more reason never to play it.

Speaking of Pedophilia I will NOT play Michael Jackson, even his early stuff when he was still good. He should be in jail forever, I hate the way rich celebrities get away with this shit while people who want to grow their own weed or dance naughtily are getting busted.

I have been reluctant to play NIN's "I'm afraid of Americans" because of lyrics, but they never listen to them even when he sings "Johnny wants to suck on a c**k". I play it whenever I can because it is the best NIN song IMO, and no one has ever said a word.

Consolidated has some great songs but it is commie rock! "America Number One" is one of the hardest hot dance songs ever, so I play it, but skip the part where he spouts off in beg., and they are all watching the girl so think he's singing about America being the "greatest country on earth"

OK Leigh, "That Smell" deseves its own spot, look in General topics, and thank you again for being here on this earth, and on this forum for me to talk to.

Djoser

Lena
02-15-2003, 09:18 AM
What Would You Do always sort of mildly offends me, and I have walked off stage and refused to dance to it when one DJ tried to play it for me. Also one time a DJ announced me as "Lilith, Goddess of Destruction" and played She's a Maneater, which really pissed me off.

Lena

smurfalicious
02-15-2003, 12:09 PM
I have been reluctant to play NIN's "I'm afraid of Americans" because of lyrics, but they never listen to them even when he sings "Johnny wants to suck on a c**k". I play it whenever I can because it is the best NIN song IMO, and no one has ever said a word.

Ummm, excuse me, you don't play whose, "I'm afraid of Americans?" Oh you better start back peddlin fast little boy because I've wanted to screw David Bowie senseless for years now. He should have never done that vid with them. :P

love and cookies
-smurf

Djoser
02-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Well, damn me, no wonder i liked that song so much! Now that I think about it that IS David's voice! (now I feel like a total idiot--I've been playing that song fo a year!!). I hate MTV so I miss all those videos-a poor excuse for not really listening, eh?

That CD (Rusty Nails IV) also has another slower, moodier but very hot, jammin' version of "Americans" (which I have only played once because the lyrics are much harder to ignore, and we get a lot of rednecks in Daytona) and another excellent Bowie/NIN collaboration song.

You need that CD, Smurfalicious. Little Boy thats good, haha.

Djoser

randmania
02-16-2003, 12:33 AM
I think my favorite forbidden case would have to be the r&b girl who went CRYING to mgt. be cause she felt degraded dancing to her cutsomer's request, ACDC's "Big Balls" which is basically tongue in cheek humor, but had NO problem with, "Shake that Ass Bitch" (all the ho's be shake shake shakin' it)...she was hurt and offended, right.
And since we're on the subject of pedo's, how about R. Kelly.
Trust me on this, the girl offended by the "and the colored girls sing" line in "wild side" will have no problem with "can I get a.." and the like.

Djoser
02-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Randmania that is funny as hell. I'm not fond of the whole ghetto gangsta contempt for "hos" etc., so I'm with you on that. What the hell do I care how many "bitches" some jerk has done--Kid Rock, too, should just shut up and play his music, which I like way more if I can ignore the words.

While a large proportion of rock may be regrettably sexist, these swine have raised sexism to a level such that, much as I spoil my dancers rotten, I have long refused to play it. I started with "Back that Ass Up" (I know its not THAT bad but that one just rubs me the wrong way, they sound so STUPID and sexist) and the worse stuff. I'll just say I don't have it, but I do, because I do love R & B, being from Motown myself its kind of hard not to. I have all that stuff except the really had core shit.

What is the story with R. Kelly? I'm not a huge fan of his stuff but I do like several songs, like the Isley brothers tune, and have been playing him occasionally. Don't tell me he's into little girls!!! I thought the girl was like 16/17 or something--which is very bad of course, but not in the same league as a 10 year old boy!

I hate almost all media hype, and cannot abide TV, so I never got that story or the one about Rob Lowe. The Jackson hoopla was unavoidable, and more interesting in a disgusting way, like O.J.

Twice now I have played the beginning of "You Remind me of my G", where he goes "You remind me uh sompin', I just can't think of what it is", sounding like he's suffered severe brain damage--I had previously always skipped that bit--and got the guys going on how it was a great thing NOT to say to a woman (Is he for real--or making fun of stupid guys trying to be romantic?). But then I played the song anyway, which is alright if the dancer really likes it (a bit slow).

Guys who sound stupid or whiney (Greenday, etc.), I just can't play 'em. Hey, no one is perfect, as a DJ my weakness is I hate doing this. A lot of the new rock in the last 2-3 years has this sound. I'm not looking for rocket science, just a good jam, but if the guys are in the same mental league as my dog, and proud of it, they lose me, and I'll do what I can to avoid their stuff.

Djoser

Theresa
02-16-2003, 12:27 PM
At one club I worked at this girl played "Ugly" by Bubba Sparxx. I am pretty sure she picked it out herself, I have no idea why ("it's getting ugly, ugly, uglyyyyy, up in here").

At another club, where I usually let the dj pick out my set, he played "She's Got the Jack" by ACDC. Now I don't know whether that song is really about some chick who has an STD or not, but enough people think so and I was pretty pissed off that he played it. We had a little talk and he never played it for me again.

velvet
02-16-2003, 02:52 PM
djoser you must not read the newspaper or watch the news either... silly boy. r.kelly has been caught on tape with underage girls and was rearrested here in florida last month for more kiddie stuff on his computer. you know his remix of bump and grind has a part that says "let me see your ID". my customer always sings "to see if you are underage" in that part... lol

Tre
02-16-2003, 07:13 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to correct that. I can't do it all...:P

'I'm afraid of Americans' is from Bowie's 1997 release:
'Earthling'.

I guess it could be classed as an unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed version of NIN....
(Sorry, I'm a Bowie fan. ;)

For Djoser:
http://www.illustrated-db-discography.nl/

For an excellet sampling of D.B.'s work, try to find '90's- 'ChangesBowie'
An out of print album here in North America, but can still be found if you know where to look.

-----------------

In regards to R.Kelly's escapades....
When a "sex and urination" video that revealed his involvement with an alleged fourteen-year-old girl surfaced and became an underground phenomenon, his good name was effectively tarnished. To say the least.

As 'Rolling Stone' so eloquently put it:
"....his album with JayZ, 'The best of both Worlds', flopped, though experts haven't ruled out future penetration of the teen market."

Djoser
02-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Silly me, it was on a NIN CD, so I made the assumption Reznor might have been somehow responsible, LOL.

Certainly there is more to the two different versions of "Americans" I have on the Rusty Nails IV CD, than would lead even a long-standing (though less than so thoroughly well-versed) Bowie fan such as myself to believe NIN included these songs without alteration or collaboration of some kind. I'm still embarassed I didn't consciously recognize his voice, though.

No wonder I love them (both unique and distinct versions) so much.

That CD does have many other remix/collaborations, including an excellent Aphrodite remix, which is guaranteed to open the eyes of anyone inclined to judge NIN by radio/club exposure, as I had. More to Reznor than "Closer" would lead you to believe.

I have had the "Changes" CD for several years and often play it for dancers who are Bowie fans. No one ever seems to like "Diamond Dogs" as much as I do, however. Thanks for trying to help.

Have either of you heard either, or both versions of "Americans" fom that NIN CD? Rusty Nails IV is not mentioned in that otherwise excellent Bowie discography, although it tantalizingly refers to additional remixes by Reznor. You might be in for a new experience, although as is so often true with remixes, it might be a disappointing one.

Chacun a son gout.

As for R. Kelly--YUCK. No more of him in my club. What a pig. Perhaps I should be more observant concerning these pathetic celebrities, with such disgusting perversions. Speaking of which, anyone know more details of the Rick James torture/crack orgy a while back? All I heard was they burned the poor woman with a cigarette. He should have stuck to "Mary Jane". Did he ever go to jail?

Djoser

velvet
02-17-2003, 06:52 AM
djoser..so are you saying that there is a jungle remix by aphrodite of a nin song... intresting

Djoser
02-17-2003, 07:43 AM
Yes,Velvet

"The Perfect Drug". If you like Aphrodite, and you like NIN, you're gonna love this one!

Track 3--Rusty Nails IV

Exactly who is doing what to whose songs on this CD is a mystery to me--my version is burned bootleg, but the end result is undeniably powerful. David Bowie is represented not only in the two previously mentioned "remixes"or whatever the hell they are, of "Americans" (both of which have been altered significantly, I suspect, from the original): but also in "Hurt-live with Bowie", and "The Heart's Filthy Lesson-alt mix-David Bowie", the latter being almost as good as "Americans".

Marilyn Manson, Puff Daddy, KMFDM, and Devo all participate or are participated upon (bad grammar, that, but you catch my drift), and a couple or three others. Not every song on the CD is a winner, but every dancer I have ever played track one for has been smitten and inspired by its power, and delivered a perfomance accordingly effective.

If you like Aphrodite you should check out a track by them, slower than their usual beats per minute, called "Aphrodite", I believe. A dancer offered me 50$ for my copy, claiming she actually got off when she danced to it. Whether this was true or not, I didn't sell it. I can't find that CD right now--lost among the stacks I have scattered aound here-- but will look for it if you are interested in finding out more.

Djoser

velvet
02-17-2003, 03:34 PM
ok im confused do you mean nin has a song called aphrodite or a song by aphrodite called aphrodite :P. i have most of aphrodite's cd's.

doc-catfish
02-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Any song that deals with an overly serious subject matter (rape, abuse, etc.) to me would be in bad taste.

These would certainly qualify in my book:

"Never Again" by Nickelback
"Me and A Gun" by Tori Amos
"Hell Is For Children" by Pat Benetar
"Jeremy" by Pearl Jam

Bridgette
02-17-2003, 04:19 PM
A few years ago when I was new at a club that I later found was a huge extras club, the DJ played 'Goodie Two Shoes' for me on stage. I was so pissed off! How on earth can you dance to that??!! And the lyrics - well, let's say most guys in a strip club in Texas do NOT want to think of a girl as a goodie two shoes!

Another dumbass stoned DJ in Missouri once mistakenly played Original Sin by INXS. The moron didn't realize what he'd done until halfway through the song when the lyrics go on and on about 'black boy, white girl' and 'white boy, black girl'. Needless to say, in the heart of redneck country that didn't go over very well. Someone even yelled, 'hey what about white boy, white girl!' I didn't make so much as a dollar that set.

I do NOT let the DJ pick my music anymore, unless I really know him and can trust him not to play something stupid.

A little off-topic: There's a running joke at my club, because I use the stagename Candice, but for the sake of pronunciation with the Latin DJ's, spell it CandAce at work. (They would pronounce Candice as Candeece) Because of the spanish pronunciation of vowells, someone made a joke that CandAce (as they say, Cand-Ass) sounds like Candy Ass. I've been regularly introduced as Candy Ass ever since. Even some of the girls have started calling me Candy Ass! LOL But it sometimes makes for a fun icebreaker ;D

randmania
02-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Bridgette, Goody Two Shoes is a good stage song, do the little girl or librarian look with the dress. glasses and all and it comes off well. I doubt the rednecks could even figure out the Original Sin, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Devastating Divyne
02-22-2003, 12:33 AM
AS for the R.Kelley song: "U remind me of my Jeep"; Michael Jackson: truly talented, truly disturbed with selfimage problems, and if he DOES mess around with kids he's officially a skank, if not the media sucks.
The worse song I ever had a DJ play for me was the original version of "The Metro" by Berlin. THe original is too weird, but there is a remix out there called "The Spud Sputnik Remix" that is hot as hell.
I got the bad one because he was mad at me, and the most interesting was "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt. It was nowhere near Xmas! Instead of trying to dance through the whole thing when I realized what he was playing I grabbed a chair and put it on the stage, and thank goodness the customers were in a good mood. The lyrics of the song are very gold diggery and so I lipsynched it while stripping kinda showgirl style using the chair as a prop and flirted like hell with the customers. The lyrics about the convertible and ring were really cute cuz I had a customers hand me his S500 keys while I sang that part and another customer took my ring off my finger and slipped a huge diamond ring, mafia style diamond pinkie ring by the way, on my hand. All in all it was fun and the customers loved it. Everybody in the house kinda went back in time for a sec in the middle of July so be it, but it was still kinda cool.

smurfalicious
02-22-2003, 06:18 PM

I have had the "Changes" CD for several years and often play it for dancers who are Bowie fans. No one ever seems to like "Diamond Dogs" as much as I do, however. Thanks for trying to help.

Changes is a kick ass album. I have some old school Bowie vinyl. Mmmm. Djoser, you ever venture over to Central Oregon, you could play Diamond Dogs for me. I loooove that song!!! Oh, or Rebel, Rebel.

love and cookies
-smurf

Devastating Divyne
02-23-2003, 11:37 AM
I just thought about this. This chick at a club I worked at danced to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". Yes, with all the fiddles and crap. This was just too weird.

smurfalicious
02-23-2003, 12:01 PM
I just thought about this. This chick at a club I worked at danced to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". Yes, with all the fiddles and crap. This was just too weird.

Yeah, no kidding. Someone played that for me, I'd laugh my arse off, then spend the rest of the time resisting my urge to slap my knees and such!

love and cookies
-smurf

Djoser
02-23-2003, 03:19 PM
I think it would require a gun to my head to get me to play that one, LOL, or a truly gigantic tip, which I would be morally obliged to share with the dancer who had to try it! I do know dancers who could probably pull that one off (Brandy, for one), and during Race Weeks gone by I have had crowds who would have loved it. But I generally resist kowtowing to rednecks, and made the most money I have yet just last year by riveting their eyes to the stage with White Zombie, Disturbed, Fear Factory remixes, etc.--Maria, Vanessa, and Destiny could do that. But now I'm repeating myself.

Actually I have always felt it to be the height of depravity to accept a large tip to play a wierd song and not make sure the dancer got her share, even if it meant I gave her half.

Djoser

McCain
03-04-2003, 02:12 AM
It's all a matter of the clientele and the individual stripper, when it comes to that song. At my most recent club, I did "Devil Went Down To Georgia" on a regular basis, and made great money off of it. Although personally I prefer "The Legen Of Woolly Swamp". I just made it part of my Southern rock sets, with "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" by the Georgia Satellites, and "Sweet Home Alabama" by Skynyrd or "Rocky Mountain Way" by Joe Walsh. Being an Alabama native who was working an Idaho club, it flew for me.

But I'll tell you a few things now about this kind of set:

"Sweet Home Alabama" is most effective when done in an outfit that incorporates the traditional Stars-And-Bars flag. Second best option is a Budweiser-logo outfit. With daisy dukes. And maybe a ballcap.

"Keep Your Hands To Yourself" should not be done by anyone who cannot inject some humor into it - i.e., wagging your finger at the guys, putting a little extra shake in the booty, blowing a kiss with a wink, etc. It falls flat if you take it too seriously.

"The Devil Went Down To Georgia" may seem funny to a lot of you, but have respect for the rare girl who uses it. It is one of the most difficult songs to dance to (aside from maybe "Cemetary Gates" and "Black Betty"), puts a lot of strain on the body, and requires balls to play in the face of any jokes. Trust me - it is not easy to pull off looking good while doing a cross between a line dance and a striptease to Charlie Daniels's fiddling!

Obviously these would forbidden in many clubs. But when you are working a neighborhood joint, and have a natural Southern accent, most guys can't resist it when these are occasionally pulled out and dusted off. So keep an open mind, even when it's something you find goofy.

McCain

Djoser
03-04-2003, 04:25 AM
As I said, Brandy could definitely pull that one off! And Princess could have, it sure would have worked with those rebel flags I painted on her breasts four or five times 2 years ago, but I wasn't DJing those nights. While I have painted and DJed at the same time about 200 times, I wouldn't try it during Bike Week! They were hard to paint the first time, but we got some tricks down to make 'em easier the next times.

The manager got mad if I spent too much time on Princess, even if she didn't mind, because he wanted her on the floor. Seeing as how she was as beautiful as she still is (I once put her onstage in jeans, flip-flops, no make-up, etc.,in an emergency--the guys went apeshit anyways), I didn't blame him...

Rocky Mountain Way is one of the hottest dinosaur rock songs, and for two years I sent it out to Summer, wherever I was DJing, because the woman danced so well to it! Well. I just ran into her at the Shark she's here for Bike Week from Columbus Ohio. I told her she had to request that song, and if she forgets tonight by God I will.

Djoser

PS I'm trying "The Pyschic DJ" thing to see if we can get Brandy into the Shark--if it works, I will paint rebel flags on her--she'd wear those well!--we'll get Indian to play "Devil..." for her, and we'll send it out to McCain--unless you'd rather we didn't.

EvilCyn
03-05-2003, 04:36 AM
We have one girl at our club who uses a country song I just can't understand...
"what Part of No don't you understand" Can't rememeber the artist.....
I heard it yesterday thinking....... That's gonna kill any fanasty right off the bat.....
There is a cheezy metal song I use to use that would fall inder this topic.
I always had a great time dancing to it, and guys seemed to love it...
"everything about you"
By Ugly Kid Joe......
With lyrics like
" I hate everything about you
I get sick when I around
I hate every little thing about you "
But it always seemed to go over well.

Messi
03-09-2003, 08:45 PM
THe puddle of mudd song, "never again", is really hard to dance too. The dj played it for me everytime I went up. I don't want to think about a female getting beat when I am onstage. "Jeremy" by pearl jam is also a no no! Stick to the fantasy and feel good songs! ;)

McCain
03-12-2003, 08:22 AM
"Never Again" is by Nickelback.

McCain

Paris
03-17-2003, 10:27 AM
There is a dj in Oregon that thinks its real funny to play Neil Diamond. Ever try lap dancing to "Cracklin' Rosie"??

McCain
03-18-2003, 01:02 AM
Oh sweet jesus.... Another sadistic DJ.

For compatriot-sympathy, see other posts I have made about the DJ I had who made us do roll-calls to "Muskrat Love" by Captain and Tenille, and the "Get Happy" song by The Partridge Family. Personally, I would have preferred the Neil Diamond.

I wonder if anyone's DJ ever has them do Barry Manilow? I mean, "Mandy" is a great song, but I would thing a Barry Manilow DJ would still be considered sadistic...

McCain

Djoser
03-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Where do these guys come from? Why are they still walking and talking? God knows I've seen, and been replaced with, some real losers (I've been having fun listening to the horror stories from the last two clubs I left. The fat old guy with the toupe is doing about how you'd expect). But Neil Diamond? Captain and Tenille? They should be strung up by their thumbs for playing that, even as a joke.

I confess I have played "Never Again" because it has such a great beat, but even though everyone always liked it, you are right about it being inappropriate. Definitely NOT sexy lyrics.

It's funny how a lot of songs have their decidely unsexy lyrics blithely ignored by the audience, and even some dancers, who actually ask for this stuff. "Jamie's Got a Gun" I have played many times for dancers who asked for it, and never had a problem or bad reaction. Not the first Aerosmith song I would pick!

One song I have only rarely and very reluctantly played is "Push" by Matchbox 20, a worthless song if I have ever heard one. The last time I played it I said at the end "We're sure as hell not going to push her around, put her down, or take Ashley for granted!" Maybe she got the point because she never asked for it again, which was great 'cuz she's way too sexy to dance to whining crap like that! The guy sounds as dumb as a box of rocks, like many new (and old, for that matter) rock stars.

Sorry all you Matchbox 20 fans...

I did hear their latest CD was pretty good, but could never get over "Push" or "3 AM" enough to listen to it.

Djoser

McCain
03-20-2003, 03:40 AM
I don't know about it being a forbidden song, since I've made damn good money fromit, but "Blasphemous Rumours" by Depeche Mode... My God... I danced to it because I just loved the song and the melody, but you would think it wouldmake guys run screaming from the club. I mean, criminy, it's about some chick's failed suicide attempt and how she later ends up a vegetable and dies. But for some unfathomable reason, I've met plenty of guys who seemed to think it was just great.

Do guys even really listen to the music that we are playing at all? I've always joked that nobody would care if I played Mozart, so long as my clothes were coming off, but honestly....

One that is sweet for dancing but is just a bad choice seems to be "Be Careful" by Sparkle & R. Kelly.... The only time I've met anyone who liked it, it was because it was a night where I was the only girl willing to play anything remotely sounding like R&B.

BTW, the "Mad Season" CD by Matchbox 20 was much more solid than their first one. Some really great stuff on there, although I'm sure much of it may still be considered whiny by some. My personal favorite is "Rest Stop".

McCain

Djoser
03-20-2003, 10:05 PM
They aren't listening to the lyrics...

Sad, but almost always true.

As long as the song sounds sexy and isn't the wrong genre for the audience, they could care less about the lyrics, with certain notable exceptions. It's hard to ignore Lil' Kim singing "Eat my Pussy Right", for instance, and I always make sure they DO listen to that one, LOL. But generally you don't have to worry.

I would definitely have gotten in trouble for playing Consolidated, the commie rockers, especially "America Number One", which if some of these guys I've had in the clubs were listening to, would have resulted in my being lynched before I could get fired. Especially after 9/11. The song has such a driving beat I play it all the time, without a problem, although I didn't at the last place I was at, with their ridiculous no-balls format.

During Bike Week I heard way too much country, especially too much Coe ("Long Haired Redneck" was a big hit) for my taste, but hey, it went over well with the Outlaws (ya, McCain, it was of course them, and from all over the world--I didn't want to say since I had already pushed it by painting their colors on Mystiques stomach. Call me paranoid, but I didn't want any more trouble from them, LOL.)

Actually I HAVE played Mozart--for Bailey the Booty Shakin' Queen. I had been saying she could shake her Booty to Beethoven, and one night it hit me, why not prove it! Walmart at 5:30 AM had no Beethoven, but they did have a Mozart "greatest hits". So next time I said that I played a 30 second clip (Clarinet Quintet in A Major, where it gets frenetic) and she proved she could, whereupon I told them it really was Mozart, not Beethoven, but they loved it anyways!

Djoser

Prester_John
04-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Here is a song that should be forbidden at a SC - "Superman" by Five for Fighting. I actually heard it at a club very recently. Turns out it was a customer request, and the customer actually provided the CD. The dancer on stage commented to me "this song really sucks to dance to". Even more humorous, as the song was winding down, the DJ made a big yawn into the mic and said "Okay great.. that was just fucking boring".

He made up for it by playing Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" right after it. I gave the DJ 10 bucks before I left and said "Thanks for saving us" ;D

PJ

Djoser
04-02-2003, 10:35 PM
That is too funny!

I right away learned to dread the approaching customer. Oh God, what is HE gonna want, and who in hell can I get that will dance to it!?!

The worst ones are the guys who want really old, hokey shit. Then there's the wigger (can we use the "W" word here?) that's gotta hear DMX when half the local Outlaws just walked in the door (though actually they aren't as intolerant of music as you might think, but DMX is NOT going to be my first choice, haha). Or the guy with the ten pound belt buckle that wants to hear Coe when my Enigma girl is next, my heavy metal girl is after her, and the one who will pitch a fit if you play anything by any white guy of any kind is up after that...

You'll notice that I am wasting my valuable time worrying about what to do, when I could just blow the f**ker off, like most other DJs do by nature, or are even required to do by mandate of management.

That's because I am very much a people person, and contrary to the impression I may have given (talking to the dancers, obviously) in my posts in the past here, care a great deal about the customers and keeping them happy as clams, spending their money and having a ball. I actually MUST leave the booth from time to time, to do a "crowd check", you can't really gauge the crowd by sitting in the booth all night.

If a guy is spending a bunch of money and keeping the girls happy I will damned well find out what he wants to hear, and find someone to dance to it, even if it means using all my powers of persuation on one of the dancers. The best way is to get the one he's spending the money on to do it, of course, but that doesn't always work. But guess what, that guy is going to come back, and when he does I'm going to give him a Royal welcome. I've never had much trouble keeping customers happy.

Except, of course, when there are the rude assholes who walk up like they have a mandate from God to arrange the playlist for the next hour, those guys don't get much slack from me. I'll never forget the guy who'd obviously played football somewhere, like I give a damn about that, LOL, who strode manfully up to the booth and announced imperiously...

"I wanna hear some Van Halen, and I wanna hear it NOW"

Well, I actually love a good Van Halen song now and then, superficial as most of them are, but guess what, he didn't hear any.

Getting more directly back on topic, I surely appreciate the warning about that song, Prester_John, I generally insist on listening to a strange or new song before I just throw it on there, but sometimes there's no time for that.

Here's another one of my least favorite songs right now, I don't know the name, it's a worthless rap song that keeps going...

"AY YAY YAY YAY, AY"

over over and over again, no rhythm or real beat to it, just a goddamn stupid song if I have ever heard one. I will NOT play that song...

Djoser

04-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Tonight I was in my prime, doing one lap after another, feeling sexy as hell. I had just finished a song with one of my all time favorite regulars, and I could tell that he was really ready to spend some money. I really had him excited and I could see it in his eyes. The mood was perfect....

and then the music came on: My Chocolate Salty Balls from the South Park soundtrack.

Moment ruined. Nothing like dancing to: "Suck on my chocolate salty baaaaaaalllllls...

But hey, we had a good laugh.

Djoser
04-05-2003, 06:18 AM
I haven't heard it, but tell me, please, it doesn't have that stupid little-kid-sounding voice singing way the hell off-key, does it?!!

The only Southpark song I ever heard sounded like a retarded eight year old, and that DJ should have been strung up immediately, I don't give a damn how funny HE thought it was. If I was manager I would forbid it (what! Djoser, saying a manager should forbid something! Impossible!)

A lot of DJs don't realize that while it's possibly, sometimes, maybe a good idea to play a joke song, you can get the same effect without destroying utterly any kind of erotic mood that may have been painstakingly builtup; if you play the damned song for 30 SECONDS!

Instead of forcing everyone in the house, not to mention the poor girl onstage, to endure the same f**king joke we have heard for the last three weeks straight. For four endless, nerve-grating minutes.

I worked with a pretty good DJ in that last club that sucked, and one night when I was just hanging out there he put on that joke song that sounds like the Backstreet Boys "I Did It My Way" singing "Backstreet Boys are all gay", which is actually funny as hell, but at the time I was like "What the HELL is he playing THAT for", before I really heard the punch line. I can only imagine the reaction of some of those drunk rednecks that were in there that night...

I know there are a lot of Southpark fans out there, and more power to ya, but the little-kid voices always kind of ruined it for me. To each their own...

Djoser

Fire_Woman
04-05-2003, 08:28 PM
I've actually had to dance to a remix of some John Denver song. I know it was John Denver b/c I would listen to it with my dad when I was little. Never would I have imagined STRIPPING to John Denver. He was either rolling over in his grave or tossing me dollars from the heavens. Either way, it was pathetic.

Another awful one.... the dance remix to Madonna's "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". That one I don't even have to explain.

azryale
04-05-2003, 10:27 PM
"suck on my chocolate salty balls" is preformed by issac hayes(of SHAFT fame) who currently does the voice of Chef on southpark

04-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Just heard another one today that would be horrible:
"Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride

McCain

tiana
04-09-2003, 09:17 AM
a dj played the up beat version of sesame street a few weeks ago....um, I now fully appreciate the girl who was on at the time because how are you supposed to be sexy and cute with sesame street in the background?

Fire_Woman
04-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Other song that don't make sense, even though I love them, are the hits by Mary Mary, "Shackles" and "In The Morning". Its gospel/inspirational. [nono] Do we really need gospel music playing while I make money by doing something that the bible thumpers would call a sin? Ummmm..... I don't think so.

-Fire

April
04-17-2003, 07:16 AM
"I've Got a Disease" by Matchbox 20 :o

azryale
05-08-2003, 11:49 AM
ack this lady at my club absolutely has to dance to "fancy" by reba mcintire (sp?) every time she's there. its bad enough that my club has a fairly bad rep from the girls that "will", but could we please keep the songs about 16 yr olds trickin' to get off welfareto a minimum, please?

The_Dude
05-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Consolidated has some great songs but it is commie rock! "America Number One" is one of the hardest hot dance songs ever, so I play it, but skip the part where he spouts off in beg., and they are all watching the girl so think he's singing about America being the "greatest country on earth"

I'm actually a bit of a Consolidated fan, but yes, they're probably not appropriate gentleman's club music, particularly their song "No Answer for a Dancer." That one's sure to dump a collective bucket of ice water on your audience.

On that note, here are a few sure-fire flops:
"Love Will Tear Us Apart," Joy Division
"Shot Down in Flames," AC/DC
anything by Johnny Cash

Djoser
05-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Ya, that "No Answer for a Dancer" is an interesting song!

But not good for playing in a strip club, that's for sure...

Whatever happened to them?

They must be tearing their hair out over this Iraq stuff, LOL

"Dysfunctional Relationship" is another great song of theirs (great R&Bish sound), the lyrics of which preclude it's successful use in our venue.

The_Dude
05-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Mark Pistel (who was responsible for most of the electronics) left the band, and they shifted to more of a rock sound. They released an album called "Dropped" a few years ago, but they seem to have disappeared from the map since then.

I refrain from playing them around AndriconGirl, particularly "No Answer." ;D

AndriconGirl
05-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Damn straight. I have enough trouble having a feminist boyfriend, I don't need him playing feminist music around me too! ::)