PDA

View Full Version : Classic Rock

Amethyst
03-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Hola all,

I'm looking for some popular classic rock songs to practice to for an upcoming audition. Any suggestions? As muscially diverse as I'd like to think I am, I've realized that I'm pretty ignorant as far as classical rock goes.

Muchos Gracias,

Amethyst

sol_de_pr2
03-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Well, let's start suggesting a couple of tunes by Cream (featuring Eric Clapton): "White Room" and "Sunshine of Your Love" and "Foxy Lady" by Jimi Hendryx. I'll think of other tunes that may suit you ;).

electric_head
03-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Hey Amethyst,
I don't know if these are good to dance to just great old songs:
Walk this way...Aerosmith
Shine on you crazy diamond...Pink Floyd
You shook me...Led Zeppelin
I can't explain...The Who
Hope this helps and we will be rooting for you ;)

G_real
03-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Also old Van halen could work, with Dave of course

Aerosmith, Clapton, Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones (god why aren't they dead yet??).

What are you looking for? Slow songs, hard rock songs, upbeat? etc etc etc.......will help us think of what your looking for....

Tre
03-17-2003, 01:29 PM
My ears are burning. ;)

Certainly, follow G_Real's suggestion of specifying the type of songs within the genre that you are looking for, i.e. speed; subject; even length.

To get you started, I'll try to add a few here that I haven't recommended in previous threads.

'Suite Madame Blue'-Styx

'(Dear) Mr. Fantasy'-Traffic/Steve Winwood/Grateful Dead

'When the Levee breaks'- Led Zeppelin

'I want you to want me'-Cheap Trick

One of my personal faves:
'Billion Dollar Babies'-Alice Cooper

The catalogue of songs is infinite.

McCain
03-18-2003, 12:58 AM
"Legs" by ZZ Top
"Sweet Home Alabama" or "Saturday Night Special" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
"20th Century Fox" or "Hold On Loosely" by .38 Special
"All Along The Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix
"Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith (may need to be edited)
"Another Brick In The Wall" by Pink Floyd
"Night Moves" by Bob Seger
"Bad Company" or "Shooting Star" by Bad Company
"When The Night Comes" or "You Can Leave Your Hat On" by Joe Cocker
"Rocky Mountain Way" by Joe Walsh
"Love Me Two Times" or "People Are Strange" by the Doors
"Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits
"Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac (takes practice)
"Hells Bells" or "Back In Black" by ACDC
"Iron Man" by Black Sabbath
"Ultimate Sin" by Ozzy Osbourne
"Rock You Like A Hurricane" by the Scorpions
"Don't Fear The Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult (needs editing, though)
"Smoke On The Water" by Deep Purple
"Run Through The Jungle" by CCR
"Sundown" by Gordon Lightfoot

Umm, that's a fairly extensive list, but - as Tre said - the classic rock catalog is infinite. Also, I'm just throwing out songs I've used, which may or may not be suitable for everyone else. Being that my tastes for stripping music are admittedly a touch screwy.

A note regarding dancing to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd: If you decide to do this song, review it carefully BEFORE your audition and figure out which part you wish to use. Make note of the times where the beginning and ending segueways are, and make sure you give this information to your DJ in advance. Take this from someone who knows from experience - I made the mistake one night of just saying "Play this song", without having the DJ check the time or anything. It was to be my third song in a 4-song Floyd set. By the time one of the other girls noticed what was happening and mercifully cut the song around Part 4, I had already been on stage for almost a full half hour. So this is a word to the wise.

McCain

Amethyst
03-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Thank you all for the responses. Looks like I was on the right track after all. The genre names always throw me off 'cause they very so.

I'm definately looking for mid-to-slow tempo, sexy songs about making love, dancing, love, things along those lines. Also songs that aren't so short, that I don't have time to get into it, but not so long that I'm ready to pass out ala "Shiny On You Crazy Diamond" (per McCain ;) ).

A couple of mid-to-fast tempo sexy hard rock suggestions would be nice as I want to be prepared to dance to anything the DJ throws at me.

Quick question to DJs and dancers: can I request songs for an audition? Or is it best to roll with what's played for me?

Amethyst

EvilCyn
03-18-2003, 02:28 AM
Rock Candy by Montrose
Slow Ride by Foghat

Slide it in by whitesnake
I'll think if a few more..........
Good Luck baby !!!!!!!!!!!!

McCain
03-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Try the compilation CD entitled "Feel Like Makin' Love". It has served me quite well, and was used as part of my nightly music rotation. I think it was put out by K-Tel, as so many compilation CDs are.

I found it originally at Walmart. If you don't have any luck there, then look for it on Half.com. Just be aware that if you order it from Half.com, since it's an Ebay company, you will not receive your CD for 1-4 weeks, with 2 weeks being the average. There is also CDNow.com and TowerRecords.com.

Another compilation with some good stuff, including some of the songs I have mentiones, is "Goin' South". There are two volumes to this one (the second was recently released), but I only have the first CD. Mainly concentrates on the genre of Southern Rock. This was another Walmart special, and again I recommend the same sources for finding it.

McCain

Pamela
03-18-2003, 04:43 AM
Damn i would have to go with anything (almost), Pink FLoyd. Sexy, and all different types of music, lyrics.
Or Aerosmith, "Sweet emotion" is good. SLow and fast however.
Dont know who sings it, but danced to it once...Lol.
"Up all night, sleep all day". Gosh he was HOT!

Susan Wayward
03-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Hey, when are we going to hear "Mr Blue Sky" by ELO on the radio? I think the VW ad campaign with it should give it a second life as a hit. It's a classic tune I've been thinking of using at work.
How about some Fleetwood Mac? There's good songs to dance to by them like "The Chain" and "Gold Dust Woman," etc. Also, Van Morrison - "Moondance" when it's a mellow night.

sol_de_pr2
03-18-2003, 10:39 AM
I don't know about "Mr. Blue Sky"; I feel there are other ELO songs worth dancing to, like "Rock n' Roll is King". The Fleetwood Mac tunes are cool, though.

electric_head
03-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Pamela,
Would that be James Gang (Joe Walsh) Funk #49?

Pamela
03-18-2003, 04:31 PM
No e_h,
it was a young guy in the early 80's. Had like 2 songs i heard, that was it. I can see him and the video....HOT. But can't remember the name.
I just know it went: Up all night sleep all day, and other parts of the song he would say "come on come on"!
The very end of the song had childern singing "let freedom ring". IT's all fuzzy, but someone has to know of it. *hoping*.

McCain
03-18-2003, 08:49 PM
"Up All Night" - Slaughter. Mid-80's hair band with some nominal degree of talent.

McCain

Pamela
03-19-2003, 03:33 AM
Slaughter......damn i fell in love with him. Anyway, i am starting to dance to the song, and love it. I Kinda copy the video...T, McCain!! ;D

electric_head
03-19-2003, 07:36 AM
Oh yeah that guy, he needed a hair cut ;D

Pamela
03-19-2003, 08:13 AM
HA. electric_head.....So do i need a haircut! No way..No No! He was my perfect guy seeing that vid. I was in love/lust and anything else pertaining to sex.

Is it possible to down load the video? Or a clip? Anyone...Please.

electric_head
03-19-2003, 08:59 AM
Just cause I don't want to see you get a hair cut! ;)
Check google, I typed in Slaughter up all night video.
Camino is right short hair is evil...

Pamela
03-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Short hair is evil??? Lol.
I am trying to find the video clip, i found Slaughter, the band of course but there should be a vid...?
Problems here...
e_c...I am doing it now. ;)

Djoser
03-19-2003, 05:46 PM
A great dinosaur song has to be "Fantasy" by Aldo Nova. Firehouse has some good stuff. Kiss "Lick it Up" and "Let's put the X in Sex" are great strip club songs. Whenever I get sick of hearing my manager yet again demand classic rock, even though no customers or dancers want it, I sometimes play "Balls to the Wall" by Accept, another dinosaur/long-hair band, and say "here you go, for those of you who want to hear some good 'ol rock 'n roll..." Actually it's a damned good song, if a bit on the heavy side.

One of my favorite hair band songs is "Once Bitten Twice Shy". Was it Great White or Whitesnake, I'm always getting them mixed up?

Those hair bands are funny. As an ex-long-hair who looks way better with short hair, I have always (whatever the length of my own) objected to guys who spend more time messing with their tresses more than most ladies. To each their own. I used to love my hair long but got sick of it, and never considered it to be central to my sexuality, like I see happen sometimes. In Daytona the long-hair fad has only just ended a year or two ago, but this is a very wierd town.

I do find it amusing that everyone used to try and sell me drugs, well, they stopped doing that--now they eye me suspiciously, unless I hand them a lit joint, they are saying I look like a hit man or a cop. That's the only thing I DON'T like about short hair, LOL.

Djoser

azryale
03-19-2003, 11:56 PM
this one's probably closer to oldies than classic rock but i'll suggest it anyway...
The Zombies- Time of the season

McCain
03-20-2003, 03:33 AM
"Once Bitten" is by Great White.

I would also like to suggest:
"Don't Stand So Close To Me" by The Police
"Jet Airliner", "Take The Money and Run", or "Abracadabra" by Steve Miller Band
"Renegade" or "Blue Collar Man" by Styx
"Witchy Woman" by The Eagles
"Black Magic Woman" by Santana

McCain

sol_de_pr2
03-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Anything from AC/DC is classic in MY book ;D.

Amethyst
03-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Why Classic Rock I wonder? If I were you I would stay away from the dinosaur music and pick something from the last 10 years. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've heard all that music a million times.

Hi Merely,

According to the day manager at the club I'm auditioning for, that's the type of music preferred by the businessman-type clientel (and the club owners). Although I've been visiting this club for about a year now and I've always heard a good mix of Classic Rock, Soul, Alternative Rock, etc...

BTW, I was able to find most of these records b/w my husband's vinyls and some friends of ours' collection. I think I'll do something Aerosmith (Cryin' or Sweet Emotion) for the audition.

Amethyst

Lena
03-21-2003, 04:52 AM
There's always the classic "I Want to Fuck You Like an Animal" ...god I love that song.

doc-catfish
03-25-2003, 04:25 AM
God, my MP3 files would be a cornucopia of choices.

I suppose it depends upon what one's definition of Classic Rock is. We still have a CR station where I live that seems to refuse to play anything this side of 1985, but much as it pains me to say it (makes me feel old!), I think even some of the hair bands (even the awful ones) from the late 80's could be defined as classic.

But a few recommedations (and there's probably hundreds more that aren't coming to mind):

The Eagles - "Witchy Woman", "Those Shoes",
"Desperado"
Bad Company - "Feel Like Makin' Love", "Shooting Star",
"Rock Steady"
Almost anything by ZZ Top or KISS

Fire_Woman
04-02-2003, 07:15 AM
If you want the popular 80's type of rock, go to Wal-Mart and get one of the compilation CDs. They have ones like "Bad Boy Ballads" with the slower stuff, and then they also have others with more upbeat, big-hair-bands type of stuff.
Having worked in Daytona where it seemed that ALL they ever played was classic rock, I'm sure that anything by AC/DC, Def Leopard, Skynyrd, or Ozzy will work. I think I could have very possibly danced to every AC/DC song ever made! :P
If nothing else, turn your radio to a classic rock station and listen to what they play until something strikes your fancy. That is always an easy way to pick something out. Good Luck! -Fire

Djoser
04-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Hey Fire_Woman, I might know you! If you worked in Daytona, I've been around the clubs before I was a DJ, too. This town is so small that we must have several mutual friends! Or maybe people we both think are idiots, LOL. I will PM you and we can figure out who we know, love, hate, whatever...

Speaking of "Fire Woman" I have to say that my favorite rock band, though they are on the border of "classic", might just be The Cult. Is that where you got the name? I'm actually partial to"Sanctuary", "Wild Flower", "Love Removal Machine", or best of all but too damned short, "lil' Devil", but "Fire Woman" is also an excellent tune for the rockers.

When I was forced to play classic rock all night, regardless of whether I, the dancers, or even the f**king customers liked it or not, I played hell out of the Cult to keep us all sane. That and as much Zombie, especially the techno remixes (no techno allowed, but what about a remix, LOL), as I could play without the little phone ringing and the manager screaming in my ear. I know Zombie isn't exactly "classic rock", but it somehow made it's way on a list of "good" music, so I played it all I could until they took it off the stupid list.

According to the owner--and the managers weren't about to argue--"modern rock" was defined as anything put out after 1985, which means that the dancers would have been about 2 years old, on average, when some of those "modern" songs came out (we were forbidden to play too much of this "modern" fare, in a misguided overkill attempt to please the potential customers who have ready cash).

According to their (unstated) definition, then, "classic" rock would be almost exclusively music put out before most of the performers were even born. This is a hard line to take, and their lack of success in keeping employees or customers is their just reward.

It may come as no surprise that my replacement lasted 6 &1/2 weeks, his replacement wears a toupe, is fat, is about to get a double bypass, and is universally hated by the dancers, what few I know are left, and the ones who have come in since, from what I hear when I go in there (rarely the downstairs club, even though I'm still on payroll at both)

Djoser

electric_head
04-02-2003, 09:00 AM
DJ,
That's to bad they won't let you play more music. When I go to the club I always tip the DJ and tell them what I like to hear, they never have told me "we can't play that do to mngt. Their pretty kool about getting my stuff on.

Pamela
04-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Where i work we can not play techno. Only classic rock. Now and again some new rock gets thrown in :0

Fire_Woman
04-02-2003, 10:07 AM

Speaking of "Fire Woman" I have to say that my favorite rock band, though they are on the border of "classic", might just be The Cult. Is that where you got the name?

Nope. Actually got the name when I was little. I'm full blooded Irish and a red-head. I was really hot-tempered when I was little (basically, a pint sized bitch >:( ) and everyone said that I was like a little fireball, ready to explode at any time. That was how the name Fire came about. ;D

crazybob
04-11-2003, 04:08 AM
I would like to add a few slower selection's;

You Can Leave Your Hat On - Tom Jone's version ( it's longer the Joe Cocker's original )

Spooky - Atlanta Rythem Section

Good Morning Little School Girl - most like the Kenny Wayne Shepard version

those are really good costume song's and would make a nice audition if you like to play it up alittle.

Good luck with the audition too !!!

The_Oceans
04-12-2003, 06:46 PM
The following rock songs always got my attention in a strip club:

Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
Back In Black, Thunderstruck, You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
What's Your Name - Lynyrd Skynyrd (I knew a dancer that came out to that song on a tricycle, wearing a Girl Scout costume - wow!)

And Amethyst, I don't know if you've had your audition yet, but if you're going to pick an Aerosmith song from the "Get a Grip" album, use "Crazy" instead of "Cryin". "Crazy" was the later of the two videos, and actually featured Liv Tyler auditioning in a strip club (with Alicia Silverstone in men's clothes sitting in the front row tipping her).

Amethyst
04-19-2003, 01:38 AM
And Amethyst, I don't know if you've had your audition yet, but if you're going to pick an Aerosmith song from the "Get a Grip" album, use "Crazy" instead of "Cryin". "Crazy" was the later of the two videos, and actually featured Liv Tyler auditioning in a strip club (with Alicia Silverstone in men's clothes sitting in the front row tipping her).

Hey Ocean,

Yes, I've auditioned (if you wanna call it that, lol) and was hired. I used Crazy and Cryin. Both songs seem to work wonders on the crowd and I try to do an Aerosmith set once a day.

Amethyst

electric_head
04-19-2003, 01:44 PM
OMG I forgot about Thin Lizzy-Dancing in the moonlight

GBeasy4show
06-15-2004, 06:52 PM
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
Personal Jesus-Depesch mode(?)

Gynger
06-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Abracadabra-Steve Miller Band
Slow Ride-Foghat
Heat of the Moment-Asia
Harden my heart-Quarterflash
Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo- Rick Derringer

Just a few more oldies but goodies, I've danced to all of these and they are always nice for a change of pace.

BigGreenMnM
06-16-2004, 04:07 AM
Rock Candy by Montrose
Slow Ride by Foghat

Slide it in by whitesnake
I'll think if a few more..........
Good Luck baby !!!!!!!!!!!!

Very impressive!