PDA

View Full Version : Customer Wish List

Prester_John
04-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Hey Folks -

Here is a list of songs I've always wanted to hear at a SC, but never have. Has anyone ever heard them in a club (customers) or danced to them (dancers?)

"Sister Blue" - Mind Funk
"She's My Ex" - All
"Denise" - Fountains of Wayne
"Super Charger Heaven" - White Zombie
"Star Sign" - Teenage Fanclub
"Almost Honest" - Megadeth
"Spoonman" - Soundgarden
"On My Way to the Cage" - Rollins Band
"Hey Man Nice Shot" - Filter
"Jesus Built My Hot Rod" - Ministry
"Weeds" - Life of Agony
"Unsung"- Helmet

If I were somehow rewarded for being a good customer by picking the music for a hour, I would love to hear all these songs, partially because Ive never heard them in a club before.

I hesitate to add these songs to Tre's compilation, because I don't know if they REALLY all would work in a SC, or just my personal bias makes me think that they would.

ADDITIONALLY: What do you guys think about dancing to instrumental rock music like a Joe Satriani?

Just wundrin'

PJ

Djoser
04-02-2003, 11:07 PM
I have played at least four of those songs (I'm actually so bad with names it's probably more, I remember the # of the track only, usually), and since I like your style and respect your opinion, I'll try to check out the rest.

Zombie, Filter, Soundgarden, Megadeth, I love 'em.

Ministry is very hot, but you gotta watch out, some of their stuff is a little too wierd/heavy for some people. Have you ever heard the 12" version of "Over the Shoulder", that is outstanding! You do have to start it a bit into the song, though. I also love "The Angel", by them.

There are certain dancers who have a unique quality, they are so sweet and beautiful, and yes, pure, inside as well as out, that I call them "The Angel".

Faith was "The Wicked Angel". This is the woman you bring onstage sans all the usual inane prattling: you just say

"The Angel....

...Returns"

There have been only 4 "Angel"s in my career as a DJ, though there have been many more than that who used the stage name. This can ruin the effect of such special honor, or make it impossible, but I have been lucky with that timing so far.

Djoser

PS... Prester those two songs are on the "Twitch" CD by Ministry, which you may already have. Ever check out KMFDM?

Veronika
04-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Wow, we get a lot of those played here at my club (Soundgarden, Megadeth, Ministry, Zombie, Filter...). I've heard some of the others now and again too. In fact, I let the DJ pick my songs out tonight and I felt like the KMFDM poster girl (Godlike, Don't blow your Top) and I gave a dance while another girl was playing the Dead Kennedys. Maybe my club is just odd but it seems to work for the crowd.

Prester_John
04-03-2003, 12:31 AM
DJ - KMFDM is great. Maybe I could add "A Drug Against War" and "Juke Joint Jezebel" to that list, because I would love to hear them at a club, and never had.

Veronika - I've heard songs by nearly all of those bands I've listed, just not those particular songs (and I've never heard any Mind Funk, much to my chagrin).

Dead Kennedys? That would be awesome. I wonder what a lapdance to "Holiday In Camobodia" would be like ;D. Can a dancer moan "Oh Baby Oh Baby" while Jello Biafra is yelling "POL..POT....POL...POT..."? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

PJ

Veronika
04-03-2003, 08:00 AM
Well, I can only answer for the DK song "TV Party" and me and the customer both smiled big when we realized what the next song was. All you can do is have fun with it... and we did ;)

Oh, and "Juke Joint Jezebel" often gets played. As does Ministry from all periods.

In most clubs, I don't think that this mix would work as well, but we tend to get tons of outdoor adventure recreation tourists being so close to Tahoe.

Prester_John
04-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Actually, "TV Party" is by Black Flag. That was played at a SC? Thats just as cool, to me anyway.

PJ

Veronika
04-03-2003, 08:12 AM
Oops! You are right! And yes it was played at a SC. Gosh, What was the DK song because I remember dancing to one last night too... (wine causes brain fog). I will have to ask Kennedy who is the girl who played the whole set including both songs.

electric_head
04-03-2003, 08:49 AM
?WHAT? no TOOL on that list PJ? You got some good ones there. I might add some dragpipe, op ivy,danzig

Djoser
04-03-2003, 01:16 PM
I think I need to get out more often,

That is, out as in OUT of DAYTONA...

It's nice to know there are places where someone besides me is playing this stuff, and they have a female DJ in a strip club (actually I did hear one here in a little club out on the edge of town, but she wasn't all that good--of course the vast majority of guys aren't either, LOL). I can only add that the more I talk to you Prester_John and Veronika, and Electric Head, too, the more I like you guys...

Tool. Hell yes...

The bisexual day manager/dancer I mentioned in another post (who would have been severely beaten and jailed daily, for what she did on a daily basis, if she was a guy) was a real pain in the ass to work with, and what few occasions we worked together were wrought with tension--I love the idea of female managers but women are human, and she was most imperfectly human at times.

The one thing we did have in common was Tool, and seeing as how she was a superb example of the artist at work, onstage--I will cut anyone some serious slack who dances that thoroughly and that well--she got all the Tool she wanted. And she could NOT stop dancing, no matter how long those Tool songs were...

One day (on one of those rare occasions I worked in the day) she really did piss me off, even more than usual, so I put her onstage and said "OK, we're gonna play Tool until she drops...", I put on their CD on which every single song is hot and also like 8 minutes long, and laid down on the couch up front (you could do that days). Once in a while I would get up and see if she was still going. She was...

By God the woman can dance, but she finally did ask for mercy.

Angelina, you know I love ya-and I always will, I don't care if you read this, you know it's true...

Djoser

EvilCyn
04-04-2003, 04:27 AM
Hey man nice shot........... One of my favs....... On of my best DJ's I ever worked with burned it for me even, so I would have it when other dj's worked....... I had one of my best routines to that song........Great for dramatics on the pole when you know the song well...... I could always time my moves just the way I wanted to that one !!!!!!!!!!
What I wouldn't do to work in a club with a good dj again......
I used to get reemed all the time for my metal when I worked in a upscale club......
I am metal and blues........depends on my mood.......Mostly metal, and then the good blues set for good regulars.......

Prester_John
04-04-2003, 06:02 AM
?WHAT? no TOOL on that list PJ? You got some good ones there. I might add some dragpipe, op ivy,danzig

RE: Danzig. A friend of mine worked out a great routine to "Cantspeak". She made the song fit her to a T.

Actually I have heard a lot of Tool in clubs. I personally LOVE Tool, but I don't think a lot of their songs lend themselves to SC experiences (seeing how a lot of them run over 6+ minutes - DJ's story being a great cautionary tale). However, the first time I heard "Lateralus" (the song), it was in a SC, and it worked well for the dancer. She also played some V.A.S.T., which I thought was awesome. Perfect Circle is a good SC song band, though.

EvilCyn - Jeez, will ya call some Jersey clubs and tell them its alright to play some Filter songs other then "Take A Picture"???

Although its obvious that I love Metal/Punk/Metal-Alternative, I like lots of different kinds. I'm a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan. "Pride and Joy" seems to be a SC staple around here, so at times my musical needs ARE satisfied ;D

electric_head
04-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Hey Filter fans, check out the amalgamut. Track 9- God Damn Me-KILLER

Djoser
04-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Also, anyone who likes Filter AND techno, and I'm sure there's a few, Hybrid has done a serious remix of that otherwise overplayed hit, "Take a Picture", that is so good it's like a whole new song.

It really is more techno-oriented, though, so probably belongs in a"techno" thread...

Hmmm...

Djoser

electric_head
04-04-2003, 11:44 AM
-OT alarm sounds, i sorry-DJ just picked up the chess blues four CD set, a must have!

Djoser
04-05-2003, 05:55 AM
"-OT alarm sounds, i sorry-"

What? Sorry, I don't get it?! You don't want to hear ANY version of that damned song again? You don't like techno? "OverTime Alarm"? Techno bites the big One?

Or something else entirely? Whatever, my friend, I just couldn't figure that out...

I'd be the last person to expect anyone to agree with all my musical tastes, that's the Impossible Dream, LOL. Furthermore, it would be foolish--and insufferably arrogant--for ANYONE to presume that we should all drop everything and rush right out to get what they, I, or anyone of us says is great...

Although when I have taken the time to do so, I have found some pretty good stuff to use!

I will agree that almost anything Chess puts out is a guaranteed winner...

I am particularly fond of an ancient release which was reissued on CD by them, which I found by chance (actually a friend who is into cool old shit turned me on to it--and I then saw it at a second-hand store). It is called "The London Howlin' Wolf Jam Sessions", and it has that giant among blues legends, together with about half a dozen almost-as-ancient rock legends playing with him, such as Eric Clapton,etc.

What was the name of your new acquisition, exactly? More, more, tell us more! Who is included in this gigantic compendium?

Djoser

electric_head
04-05-2003, 07:51 AM
i sorry-Going from rock to blues but seems like us few are into a lot of the same tastes in music. "Chess Blues" 1947-1967 JLH,Koko,Waters,Howlin' Wolf etc. Nice 4 CD set with a nice booklet.

Veronika
04-06-2003, 01:35 PM
It is really nice to see so many cool song suggestions. When I visit other clubs in my area, it seems like I am bombarded with radio top 40. I am sooo happy to work amongst dancers, DJs and customers who have good but eclectic tastes.

Keep putting out suggestions! I have found so much new and interesting music by reading this board (thanks esp. to Djoser :))

crazybob
04-10-2003, 03:56 PM
We like to play alot of Clutch, Cake, Metalica ( b4 they where corperate whore's ) Hendrix, ICP, Sevendust, Type O negative, Floyd, tech9, Revolting Cock's, you name it we play it. Myself, the Dj and a few( club friend's ) who happen to be local Radio DJ's have supplied my club with a list of over 7000 song's ranging from techno to rap, R&B, oldie's, remixes...... The more obscure the better nothing too heavy and nothing to dead. I rarely make the Dj pull anything from my computer but the rare occasion's included song's from Portishead & Romstein and he avoid's death metal because it fuel's the typically broke few and offend's the the paying folk's. It is in everyone's best interest to play the crowd that's payin the rent. My Dj had a bad habit of playing his favorite's and omitting the type of music the crowd would appreciate. I had to change that, although I let him have his head, he keep's my best interest and that of the dancer's in mind. It's hard to juggle all that ( customer's request, dancer's that will dance to it, the rest of the crowd in general ) .