PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried out...

McCain
06-03-2002, 04:38 AM
...the following albums?

1.) "Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Album" (from the TV show)

2.) "Living Under June" - Jann Arden

3.) "Ian Moore" - Ian Moore

4.) "Modernday Folklore" - Ian Moore

5.) "The Faculty" (movie soundtrack)

6.) "Honor Among Thieves" - Edwin McCain

I think the Ian moore will go over pretty well - blues rock essentially, with an edge. But I am considering doing "Nothing But You" by Kim Ferron, from the Buffy CD, and maybe a few from the others.

If anyone has any experience with dancing to these, please give me a shout and let me know what worked and what flopped.

McCain

Tre
06-04-2002, 10:41 AM
I can't really provide any comments on dancing to the albums you mentioned; But since you mentioned Ian Moore, it made me think of another band that I've never heard/seen danced to.

Jackyl~ Basically, southern, blues-injected, hard-rock.

More specifically, having just 'scanned' the CD:
Perhaps 'I could never touch you like you do', or 'Rock-a-Ho' from the album 'Push Comes to Shove' (1994)

Just thought I'd mention that, since you were asking for music on the EDP as well. :)

And while I'm here, LOL; What about 'Planet Caravan'?

Originally a Sabbath track (from the 'Paranoid' album, I believe), but was covered by Pantera on their 'Far Beyond Driven' (1994) album. Also a good version.
Since you mastered 'Cemetary Gates', what about '5 Minutes Alone'? (Also from F.B.D.)

Minus the over-driven solo(s) in later minutes of the track. (Which could be edited out, therefore shortening the song to an acceptable length.)
Could work, with work. ;)

~Tre

McCain
06-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Hey Tre!

Regarding Jackyl:

I will check into the one you mentioned. I have usually steered clear of them, but that is only because I have heard "Dirty Little Mind" being played to DEATH in clubs. But in view of the fact that your recommending an entirely different song, I think it will be worth the time to check it out!

Regarding Pantera tunes:

I totally dig on the idea of doing "Planet Caravan"! I love that song. Hell, I don't know why I never thought about it. As for "5 Minutes Alone" I haven't heard that one yet - I still have not managed to score Far Beyond Driven or Cowboys From Hell for my personal collection. (I am still rebuilding it from what I had before, which was stolen 3 years ago - over $5G in CDs). But I do believe that just got added to my shopping list!!!

And yes, I am pretty sure I could get it edited - I figure any DJ worth his tips should know how to do that!

Thanks for the suggestions! Now, hopefully, maybe a few more people may spring in with their own threads about what works!

McCain

Tre
06-04-2002, 11:52 AM
You're welcome. :)

Yes, hopefully there are more people willing to share/discuss their own music-related threads here.

A place to feed my 'addiction', LOL.

If you haven't guessed it yet, this resides in one of my 'fields of expertise'. ;)

~Tre

McCain
06-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Nice to know there's a kindred spirit.

I could go my whole life, almost, without any media except music. You take the music away, and I am toast.

Although I sometimes wish I was like the autistic guy who waited tables with me about 3 years ago - he was a high-functioning savant, and his gig was music. If you gave him one bit of information about a song, he could tell you everything, all the way down to everybody who had ever covered it and what labels they were on!

Turns out I was the first and only person to ever stump him.... Tried running a bit of a song by him that I have been looking for, for about 10 years now, with absolutely no luck. No one seems to have ever heard of it, but I KNOW it exists, because it was on a tape that somehow mysteriously ended up in my possession. Have no idea where the tape came from, and it just as mysteriously disappeared.

I've had some of the best look for it, with no luck. Which is weird, because I believe it is by Bob Seger, in one of his various incarnations. The rest of the tape was all Bob Seger.

".... I put you on a pedestal / For all of the world to see / I thought that we were both in love / But it was only me / It was only me..."

McCain

Tre
06-05-2002, 12:56 PM
Is it your intention to drive ME crazy with that too?? LOL!! :P

All I can tell you as of now, is that it's not a Seger track.
I'm almost certain of that, and I have it under good authority that it's not.

As for who it IS by, I'll see what I can find. I'll let you know if I come across anything.

My life without music?
Well, you could take it all, except for my Floyd and I'd still survive.
In a cave, isolated from the rest of society........For their sake. ;)

~Tre

McCain
06-05-2002, 01:58 PM
Well, that would be why it was stumping me. It was on a homemade Seger compilation ( that mysterious tape), and I swear it sounded like Seger, but I never have found it. I had wondered briefly if maybe it was one of the ones he did with the band he had before The Silver Bullet, but that didn't bear out, either.

I am not meaning to drive you crazy with that one, but hey! If I do, at least feel comfortable in the fact that you will be in good company.

As for Floyd... Great music to dance to.... My personal faves and experiences:

1) "Learning To Fly", "One Slip", and "Dogs Of War" - Seem to really be dug by most crowds.

2) "Dirty Woman" (don't think that's the real name) - good for dancing, but way overdone.

3) "Run Like Hell" - EXCELLENT

4) "Another Brick In The Wall" - Never done this one myself, but saw another girl do a very intriquing theme set in her high school graduation gown....with VERY little underneath...

5) "On Thin Ice" - Well, I personally like to dance to this one, but I usually wind up with a DJ that *really* hates me afterwards. So I tend to avoid it.

6) "Mother" - This one can be good if you have a mellow-minded crowd... otherwise, forget it.

7) "Wish You Were Here" - Probably my all time favorite song, both for dancing and in general.

Although I love the CD, I never could get into doing anything from the Division Bell. Same thing for Dark Side Of The Moon. They just never struck the right chord with me for that.

I've heard some of the older stuff, from before The Wall and Wish You Were Here, but have never managed to land any of it on CD.

Well, I take that back, I used to have Atom Heart Mother, but you would be hard pressed to dance to it, and it was one of the ones that was stolen....

(I hope somebody made a lot of money off the ones I had that were autographed. That way, if I ever find them, at least I know they had some fun before I had the chance to strangle them).

Have you seen anyone recently dancing to the "Above" CD by Mad Season? I haven't seen anyone doing it in forever, and I think most people may have forgotten that CD ever even existed....

McCain

Tre
06-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Well, I went back through all of his albums, right to the very first, (through all of his band titles) as well as singles and recorded, but not released tracks and I didn't see it. I also made a few inquiries and came up with not-a.

I'll see what I can find still though.

'Mad Season'. The late Layne Staley's side project away from 'Alice in Chains', with the lead guitarist from Pearl Jam. Yes, no?

I seem to recall hearing 'River of Deceit' (correct album, isn't it?) recently, although I'm not exactly sure if it was danced to or not.

You have to understand that the choices of music up here are, for the most part, different than south of the border. From the little that I've seen and heard to compare anyways.
Based on what the 'crowd' has heard before, or is familiar with. There is of course, some 'over-lap'.

As for dancing to Floyd.....Yes, Yes, Yes.
(I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone dance to a Pink Floyd track beside 'Run Like Hell'.)

I can only imagine the sucker I'd be for that.... ;)

Any really early Floyd is far too 'psychedelic' to be any good for dancing. (i.e. 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn')

I'd recommend 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun'
(5:20, From the album 'Meddle' [1968])
A very entrancing song. Lots to work with.
Probably MY first choice, if I were to choose a P.F. song to dance too. Not that it will ever happen, LOL.

'Money' (Dark Side of the Moon) could work, but the sound effects in the background tend to be distracting. As well as the repetitious nature of the track.
A nice flow to dance to though.

'Sorrow' (A Momentary Lapse of Reason) is 'smooth' enough to work, but at 8:45, with little room to edit, it's too long.

A couple of others that I can think of off hand, that might work:
'Not Now John' (The Final Cut)
A rare one, an instrumental: 'Obscured by clouds'/'When you're in' (First two tracks from the album~ 'Obscured by Clouds')

Sorry, you got me started. A bad idea....LOL.

~Tre

McCain
06-05-2002, 07:46 PM
No, actually I dig it. It gives me ideas for what to look for. Pink Floyd is a very big thing for dancing down in Alabama - or at least it was 6 years ago (the last time i danced in Alabama). I always had a fondness for The Wall and Momentary Lapse Of Reason (aside from my fave that I already mentioned). They are very highly danceable. As for Money, from Dark Side, I have seen it done, and tried it myself, but couldn't really groove with it in that way. I love listening to it, and pride myself on being able to adapt to almost any song that is in standard time (instead of 3/4), but it just didn't strike me well for dancing.

I think I would rip off my left arm right now, though, for Echoes, or whatever they are calling the box-set that is being offered on TV these days. I want that badly! *Drool, drool*

Personally, I think (since we were just talking of Money songs), I might try the old Motown diddie - "Money (That's What I Want)". Have to see if I can find a copy of that. Or do you think it's a little too blatant??? ;D

Yes, you are correct about Mad Season - that was Layne Staley's side project. I used to dance to them a long time ago, but I am not sure if anyone is even still using it anymore. I wouldn't even worry with it, but I am trying to focus on things that are a little by the wayside.

How is the music different in the Canadian clubs? What's being played? Nickelback and Alanis? Or something a little more obscure? I'm curious now.

Regarding the mystery song, I don't know what to say. Like I said veofre, I have been searching for that sucker for 10 years, and have never had any luck. It was such a beautiful song. I can give you a rough version of another portion of the lyrics, and maybe that might help....

"...I put all my faith in you / Stood before you naked / You made all my dreams come true / This is so unexpected..."

I can't say that is a verbatim quote, but it is about the best my memory can reproduce after so long. I haven't even been able to find anything on it using the Muze database.

Well, I should probably cut this off here. Between here and my posts on the OUR forum, I think I have about killed my fingertips typing. Like I said over there, I have a bad case of insomnia tonight.

McCain

Tre
06-06-2002, 02:02 PM
I'll start off with what I forgot to mention in my last post;
"....Dirty woman...." = 'Young Lust' (The Wall)

"Oooooh, I need a dirty woman, Oooooh, I need a dirty girl....Will some cold woman in this desert land, Make me feel like a real man..."

We don't need you ripping your arm off now, LOL, nor wetting the floor. ;)
'Echoes' is a 2-disc set, containing 26 tracks.
Everything from 'See Emily Play' (early stuff with Syd Barrett, when the band was still known as 'The Pink Floyd') to 'Sheep' (Animals), to 'The Happiest Days of our lives' (The Wall), to 'High Hopes' (One of my faves. From 'The Division Bell').

Having the album in my hand at the moment, I could list all of the tracks on it, but that would be overkill. ::)

I only bought the album for one song, which I could only find on the movie soundtrack LP for 'The Wall'.
(The track being, 'When the Tigers broke free')

As for how the music is different in Canadian clubs;
Noooo, not just Alanis and Nickleback.
More like lots of Stompin' Tom, and Shania Twain.
I'm kidding. :P

The music scene is different in Canada, period.
Musical preferences are, for the most part, based on what the media provides us.
Canadian radio stations, and Much Music (Canadian version of MTV) focus on providing the public with new CANADIAN content, before international. Being that the Canadian music scene is MUCH smaller than the US', that is our first limitation. Actually, local radio stations are required by the CRTC (broadcasting commission) to play so-many minutes of Canadian content per hour, or risk their broadcasting licence.

Secondly; What (international) content the radio stations DO provide, stated as "New", is usually 3 months old or so.
Most of the time, songs that I've heard on CD, or on a US station long before the said Canadian radio station is even aware of it.

The biggest thing is that we just don't have the 'resources' to promote and advertise new or internationally popular artists and tracks.

As for what exactly IS played, I'd have to take a visit, and write down what all is chosen on a specific night.
Cultural differences influence musical CHOICES as well.
I'm sure there are some tracks and artists that could be classed as obscure, to someone outside of Canada. (Or unheard of, for that matter.)

That Motown song could work, if you judged your crowd well, or it could bomb. At least there is something to work with in that one, and not just a bad choice of music with little hope of pleasing anyone.

Thanks for more of a clue as to your 'mystery song's' identity. Those lines actually sound familiar for some reason.
I'm still looking.

Songs to dance to that are a "little by the wayside". Hmmmm.....
Okay, after a veerrrryyyy quick scan:
(Just some tracks that I thought of quickly. Sorry if they are more popular where you are)
~'Dirty Magic' -The Offspring (From 'Ignition', 1992)
Awesome lyrics....> "In my own special way, I think she wants me only, She says come over right away...."
~'Beggars and Hangers-on'- Slash's Snakepit (From 'It's Five o'clock Somewhere', 1995)
**This next one is a great track for dancing, lots to work with.....
~'Invisible'- Dio (From 'Holy Diver', 1983)**
~'Life in Black', or @'Little Crazy'- Fight (From 'War of Words', 1993) [Rob Halford of Judas Priest fame]
@>>"....Somebody's working me to get me all strung out....It's all right, It's all right, It's all right,...I'm just a little crazy..."
~'Blowout in the Radio Room'- Fight (again) (From 'A small deadly space', 1995)
For an extremely mellow mood, yet deep as hell. One of my favorite tracks of all time;
From the same band and album as the above track;
'In a world of my own making'.......Something you can actually FEEL.

>>" If I could find a place, to leave this world behind, Somewhere in time and space, where I could ease my mind, I'd take you there, Where we could be alone..."

There are also many gems by 'The Who' that no one seems to notice.
I don't want to take up your whole night, LOL, so I'll quit there.

I hope you can get some sleep tonight.
I must thank you for your contributions to my ("Our") forum. You are very knowledgable, in many regards.
I appreciate it, as I'm sure Pryce does in your contributions to this forum.

Take care.
~Tre

McCain
06-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Heck, Tre, the forums just give me a chance to run my mouth about things that none of my non-club acquaintances care about. So, I figure I might as well put some effort into it, as thanks for giving me the opportunity! ;D

:)Your list of suggestions is impressive - I don't think I have heard any of those in clubs. That's a few more to add to my list of things to check out. I suppose I should ask my DJ about burned CDs - if those are cool, then I will probably collect these as MP3s, convert them to audio, and burn them. Otherwise, I am going to be dropping mucho moola on CDs. :)

Regarding the Who, I have already settled on "Behind Blue Eyes" as one of my all time favorites. I certainly think it will play well (especially since my eyes are blue as can be). I also think "Pinball Wizard" could have some potential, if I can figure out exactly how to play it up (maybe a 70's style glittery disco cape or something???).

Here's another snippet from mystery song. It is one of the first lines. Again, I cannot say it is entirely verbatim....
"...One step forward, two steps back / Here I stand defeated..."
And I don't think I can do any better than that. That exhausts my memory on that one. :-/

I have another one out there, but if I can get hold of an ex-b/f, maybe I can get him to send me the homemade compilation that the second one is on. It was another one of those mystery tapes - just happened to show up one day in a boombox we had bought at a yardsale. I can't even remember the lyrics, just that it was a really sad and sweet song.

Well, I put up the review for the first CD that I received out of the ones I ordered. I also found out that there are some strict limits on the number of characters used in the posts. Otherwise my review could have been a bit more thorough, and a lot less sketchy. Oh well, we work with what we have! :)

Hey, out of curiosity (if you don't mind), what is your connection to the wonderful world of stripping (LOL)? I think you explained it one point on EDF, but I cannot remember. I am such a space case! You'll have to forgive me, but I guess I am also nosy. ::)

And I'll be sure to get some sleep at some point tonight. I'm a little stressed though - the local cops sweated me for a half hour today about some of my neighbors, just because I had been helping those neighbors with their kids. Makes me wonder what is going on, since I live in a strange neighborhood. It isn't a slum - very middle class - but there are some questionable things that go on.

McCain

Tre
06-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Well, 'Our Exotic Dancer Forum' used to be 'Nicole and Tre's Exotic Dancer Forum'.

Created as a temporary alternative to the EDP while the 'trolls' had their way.
I met Nicole (a dancer) a while ago on the EDP when I came there with questions regarding the business, to help in the opening of my own club. A plan that I will get back to one of these days again.

Those plans took a temporary 'back-seat' when a relationship slowly developed between Nicole and I.
We ended up engaged to be married, and planning a wedding. Imagine that.... ::)

If you search back a few pages on my board, you'll see what the eventual outcome of that was.
A thread that starts with: "Uhhhh, Nicole??"

Not really something that I want to delve into here......

The board has now become my sole responsibility, and I continue to learn more, and enjoy the information and stories that those there share.
Most of which I apply to my own possible plan(s), and much that I simply find intriguing.

'Behind Blue Eyes' IS an excellent track, also one of my faves, although I prefer 'Who are You' to most.
I'd have to go through my Who albums to pick out any more that would work to dance to though.

I did read your review, and it was very informative. Certainly thorough enough for people who might be interested in that album, to perhaps check it out.

If you get a hold of that other 'missing' track, I can do my best to figure it out as well. If need be.

Stress? Heh, don't get me started, LOL. :P

Good luck, and take care
~Tre

Tre
06-06-2002, 03:59 PM
What about Radiohead?
More specifically, any tracks from 'OK Computer', or 'Kid A'. Maybe even 'Pablo Honey'.

Can't say that I've heard much of that in the club(s).
You??

I don't really have time right now to listen through them and recommend songs, as work calls early in the morning and it's 12:00 a.m. here now. :P
Perhaps another time.

~Tre

P.S. There HAS to be at least one Primus song that would work. I'd have to grin if I saw/heard anyone dance to that. ;) I'll check, later. As if I haven't bombarded you enough with songs already, LOL.
Gives me something to do though. :)

McCain
06-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Can't say I can remember seeing anyone do anything by Radiohead, but I have seen Primus done - *once in a blue moon*. Usually by somebody with a really demented sense of humor! I love it personally, but I have always gotten the impression that Primus was a little over the heads of a lot of strip-joint customers. Perhaps I am not giving enough credit where it is due, but that's just how it has always come across to me. The few times I have seen it done, it didn't look like very many customers dug it.

I do think it is worth a shot though - there seem to be a fair number of younger guys frequenting the club I have been working. The young ones should go for it.

Oh, in case your wondering how I can post so often, it is because I am "on call" - the place was slightly overstaffed when I auditioned, so I fill in when someone gets "dancer-disease".

Hope you get some sleep, and have a good day at work.

McCain

Tre
06-07-2002, 11:30 AM
I just noticed a mistake of mine;

I had the year right, but 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun' is from the album 'A Saucer full of Secrets', not 'Meddle'.

Please excuse me while I go smack myself around.
For I have commited a sin.......In my world at least, LOL!

~Tre

Tre
06-07-2002, 05:43 PM
Okay, I had mentioned Primus earlier, and I do agree with you, McCain, that you would have to gauge your audience well in order for it to go over well; But you were looking for songs that are a "little by the wayside", so I'll add some Primus songs that I believe would work with most audiences, as well as easy to work with (as easy as it gets with Primus anyways, LOL):

'Electric Uncle Sam'- 2:55(From the album 'Antipop', 1999)
Produced by Primus and Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine), with Tom on lead guitar.
Basically, if you are familiar with Primus, and Rage, I don't have to explain this one. A solid track throughout.
Be forewarned though, a fast intro, as well as chorus, then slows down for 15 seconds or so after the first.
Amusing lyrics> "....Don't get caught with your fingers in my pie....Mess with me boy, and you're surely gonna die..."

"Shake Hands with Beef" - 4:02 (From 'The Brown Album')
This album, as it's name suggests, sounds very 'muddy'. I don't know if was intentional or just bad production.
A repetitive bass line throughout. Funky, (although that goes without saying.) Mellow vocals. All in all, a solid track.

'Have a Cigar'- 5:27 (From 'Miscellaneous Debris', 1992)
A EP consisting entirely of covers. This one is a Pink Floyd song. With the added funk of Les Claypool bass playing (over Roger Waters'), I'd recommend this version over the original for dancing to.

Perhaps....'Southbound Pachyderm' 6:22(From 'Tales from the Punchbowl', 1995)
If you can get over the extremely odd lyrics in this one, it's a very trippy track. Slow, almost hypnotic in a sense.
Beware of the very long intro (1:07 long). Although it could be edited shorter, the intro is pretty cool in itself.

For something TOTALLY off the wall: Judge your crowd very well for this one. For a time that calls for something that's just plain fun. Little effort is required to figure out what would work with this one.
'The Air is getting Slippery' 2:30 (From 'Pork Soda', 1993)
Les plays his 6-string banjo in this one. A song that makes you just want to bop your head from side to side :) " ....The air is getting slippery and it's not to my surprise, My heart, it beats irregularly and the sweat it fills my eyes. I do not mind what I excrete 'cause I'm here to make a buck. And for those that cannot take the heat can take a flying..... "

'Sgt. Baker' 4:16 (From 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese',
1991)
If you can handle the time changes, and the stop and go nature of the track, (Quite a few very short pauses), it has potential.
Remember it IS Primus. Not for the beginning dancer.

Something to challenge. I believe any of these songs could work well in competent 'hands'.

That's about it for Primus. Good luck to any of those willing to try it.

~Tre

McCain
06-08-2002, 04:52 AM
I think it's worth giving it a shot. But I also think I am going to hold off on it for about a month. I have only been ay this club for a short while, and it's the first time I have danced in 6 years. So I'm still working all the rust out, so to speak. But it's definitely something I want to try out, after I have my bearings again.

Thank you, Tre. For everything.

McCain

Tre
06-08-2002, 09:48 AM
You're welcome, McCain.

Good luck at the club, and in everything!

Thank you, for the same. :)

~Tre

hollyday
12-11-2002, 03:23 PM
i put you picture away-kid rock and sheryl crow? what a pretty song. considering i can't stand either one of them...

Djoser
12-12-2002, 11:39 AM
I have played many a Pink Floyd track, mostly for one of my favorites who loved it. From Pamela's description of her dancing style I can see her knocking 'em dead to that one track from Dark Side of the Moon, I forget the name (I lost that CD), with the beautiful female vocals. It might be hard for your run-of-the mill dancer to pull off, though. Two more Floyd tracks well worth playing, in my experience, are Pigs and Sheep from the Animals CD. But Pigs definitely has to be edited--I usually start it about 50 seconds in, and cut it somewhere about 5-6 minutes (its 11 minutes long!). Editing is something I am very used to doing as I play a lot of techno and there are some tracks I start 4 1/2 minutes in! Pigs is a bit repetitive, but very good nonetheless. The woman I played it for was a pole trick type so I would talk her up and that helped break it up a bit. Just stay away from "The Trial", I got in trouble for playing THAT one for her, and it is a bit out there, LOL.

Jackyl is great, Tre, I play it all the time. And McCain, I can understand your getting sick of "Dirty Little Mind" but they don't play it around here that much so it goes over well..especially when I play it for Raven in her schoolgirl outfit.

At first I thought you were trying to put me in my place (have I been coming across as another arrogant DJ?) about Supersexy Swinging Sounds, but after seeing what an impressive and diverse musical background you have I decided you are just far better informed than the vast majority of dancers I have worked with. Of course, this is FLA., but of the well over one thousand dancers I have worked with, not one has ever brought that one in. But the Zombie fans have always loved dancing to it.

Speaking of pole tricks, I used to play Primus a lot for Fawn the Queen of the Pole, she was into the heavy stuff. And also speaking of pole tricks, McCain, I was very impressed with your ability to do headstand to handstand push-ups, as I have seen very few, strong men even, who can do that. They deleted my post about that (more power to them-it's their forum, certainly not mine), I think they may have thought I was bragging, but I was really trying to encourage the woman who couldn't do a push up. God knows I started off a skinny little weakling. But we're getting off topic...

Hollyday I have played the Kid Rock/Sheryl Crow song many times with geat success, and I certainly sympathize with your opinion of Kid Rock...I like some of his music but there's no doubt whatsoever about HIS arrogance. That one goes over well if someone wants to hear country, and while having lived in Austin I love Waylon and Willie (thanks McCain for reminding me about them, Race Week is coming up), I try to avoid the whole country thing.

I love Nickelback, after an initial problem with "How You Remind Me", which has that whining-moaning feel that is so distressingly popular in modern rock right now. But almost every other song on that CD rocks. Have you heard the other one they have, The State. Around here I'm the only DJ who has it, and its great.

Well, this is getting rather long-winded and I'm trying to limit my posts now, but before I go, all you Type O Negative fans should get World Coming Down, it's very good...

Djoser

P.S. Tre, good luck with the club, a friend of mine & I may be doing that, but as you know, it's a hard business. Keep us up with your progress, please, and don't give up.

Djoser
12-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Oh, I forgot, for an excellent Bob Seger track, going way back, try "Lucifer", from when he was just getting started in Detroit. I'm tired of old Bob now (to me he started going downhill when he started "Just take those old records off the shelf"--now all of his songs are about how much fun he USED to have-- to each his own) but you never hear this one, it's great, if short.

Djoser

Pamela
12-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Ok Tre,
Please help.....i want to know who did the song for the movie 'virgin suicides (did i spell it right?) Sexy tune, slow but hot. It plays in the trailer part of the movie, since that is all i have seen of it.
ALso the movie 'Cruel intentions? The end of the movie i hear had a different type of song someone said may fit my style. Sorry i did not see these 2 movies. I have to know so i can download and see if they are good dance songs for me.
Thanks, Pamela ;)

McCain
12-13-2002, 06:43 AM
Pamela, the song you may be referring to from Virgin Suicides might be "Playground Love" by the Air. The whole CD is pretty damned good, though - lots of great classic rock tracks, there. That song is also used for a commercial that was put out in the past year and a half, although I cannot think which one it was, to save my life.

As for Cruel Intentions, unless I am mistaken, the song that plays at the end of the movie (during the funeral scene were the evil sister's coke-filled crucifix is poured out in front of the church) is "bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve. Amazing song, but if this is the one you are looking for, judge your audience weel before playing it. Some men will find this song too depressing. Others will love it.

Hope that helps.

McCain

susan
12-26-2002, 03:37 AM
Did I miss it, or has someone already said Pink's "Get this Party Started"?

UltraFoxie
01-01-2003, 10:30 AM
The Get THe party remix is GREAT, its the sweet dreams remix

Djoser
01-01-2003, 09:29 PM
As in "Sweet Dreams are made of this...", done by the Eurythmics and redone by Marilyn Manson? If so I've got to have it! I have played "Get This Party Started" before and liked it, but this I must hear--I'm a sucker for remixes anyway...

Not to change the subject, but could whoever was talking about Dead Can Dance tell me which of their CDs are good? Tre, McCain, got any idea? I heard something I really liked by them, but the two CDs I got since then have been disappointing, and definitely too wierd to play where I am now. I like wierd, but its got to have a groove to it, or else it isn't worth the risk of getting a bunch of shit for playing it.

Djoser

G_real
01-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Djoser,

Personally I like remixes. Fatboy Slim (my personal fav, but, I also know him) dd a remix of Steppenwolf's song, I can rember it. Also there is a FBSlim remix of Eminems My Name Is vs Right About Now. Also BT's Never Gonna COme Back Down, Lo Fidelity AllStars' Battle Flag. yeah they have been played mainstream alittle, but, may be worth checking out, something that is just different enoughthat you won't hear on the radio

Djoser
01-04-2003, 04:15 AM
I love Fatboy Slim (one of my favorite dancers blows 'em away to Rockefeller Skank--even the part where it slows down and speeds up--she's good, that one!), but never knew about those remixes, I am going to check them out on Kazaa right now--I made a resolution (oh God, here we go, LOL) to start doing my "homework" with this DJ thing. Previously I have just come home and been tired, blah, blah, the usual excuses--but it has been extremely stressful where I work because they have been cracking down on the music, the morons.

Actually they kind of have the right idea, aiming to please an older, more monied audience, but they have failed utterly to consider the feelings of the women who have to DANCE to this stuff, and while I have seen that making several hundred dollars a night will keep them dancing no matter what the hell is played, we are just coming out of slow season and it ain't that easy yet! I have been trying for every loophole I can get, and one of them is remixes, like playing that old Run/DMC version of Walk This Way for the poor abused R & B girls who can't be forced to dance to AC/DC, for Christ's sake...

Plus I love the eclectic (especially if it is sensually oriented), the outrageous, and the stuff noone else has the balls or imagination to play, so even if I can't play it where I am now, I'll be even better off when it comes time to move on--and that time always comes, from my experience, and sometimes sooner than you think. So now maybe I will spend less time bitching and whining on this forum, and more time following up some of these excellent leads that McCain, Tre, and everyone else have been so generously offering, and I have heretofore been to lazy to follow up on...

Thanks, G_real,

Djoser

P.S. What is the significance of your name? Just curious.

G_real
01-04-2003, 05:08 AM
I can understand the club's mentallity about wanting t please the older crowd there. But they're there to watch/pay the dancers, not to go to a concert. Hell why not go to Symphony Hall then! Sorry my little rant.

If anything that I could consider "ok" would be to have more of a mix of types of music, ie Rock/ Rap/ Etc. I personally can't stand most rap. But then when I hear it 7 straight songs in a row then 1 rock and one cheezy 70s corp. rock, I can't stand it!

All in all let the girls choose what they want, or what kind they can dance to, and then make a list from there so you mix things up a little.

My name, well I interned at a major radio station, and ocaasionally Ihad to help the rive home DJ because there was no intern for him. So after awhile all the interns he likes, do hard work, get a nickname. And for me there were 3 in the mix :G-Love (sounds too pyscho for the website), G-Money (Sounds like I have alot of $$$ which I don't), G-Thing (again I don't like rap and this is straigh from Snoop and Dr dre) and finally G-Real, instead of B-real from Cypress Hill.

P.S. I worked as a producer, and sometimes still do on weekends for another dj.

01-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Has anyone ever tried Nina Simone's ' I Want some Sugar In My Bowl' as a floor type show( or a rug)? How about any Led Zeppelin? Specifically for floor, 'You Shook Me All Night Long', 'I'm Gonna Crawl' and 'Since I've Been Loving You' or others like 'Kashmir', 'Dazed and Confused', 'What Is & What Should Never Be' and 'Traveling Riverside Blues'? I'd love to hear from anyone who loves LZ as much as I do and dances to them often. Drop me a line at lycos if you do, same name as here.

randmania
02-09-2003, 02:26 AM
Let's remember who we (Dj's and dancers) are supposed to be entertaining. Play music the crowd will know and enjoy. Is hearing what you want (no matter how inappropriate) more important than guys tapping their feet, singing along and NOT looking at their watch?
The big problem in my area (MI) is way too much rap, r&b, and techno, all great if you're 18-26, but the big money guys are usually not in that age group. It's not bad if a few girls want it, but when it's 80%, then it's a disaster.
I'd like to address a couple of posters, first G-Real who said: "I can understand the club's mentallity about wanting t please the older crowd there. But they're there to watch/pay the dancers, not to go to a concert. Hell why not go to Symphony Hall then! Sorry my little rant" G, what's wrong with giving the crowd beautiful women AND music they enjoy? Is that asking too much?
Now, DJoser: "Actually they kind of have the right idea, aiming to please an older, more monied audience, but they have failed utterly to consider the feelings of the women who have to DANCE to this stuff" and "I have been trying for every loophole I can get, and one of them is remixes, like playing that old Run/DMC version of Walk This Way for the poor abused R & B girls who can't be forced to dance to AC/DC, for Christ's sake"....WAH! If you're a paid professional dancer, you should be able and willing to dance to anything. How many other professions do you feel this way about? The chef who likes cooking steak but hates cooking chicken even though you want chicken? The mechanic who likes Fords but hates Chevy's? How about ours, we can't announce and promo a girl we don't personally like as well as one we do? This is silly. I don't mean to sound insensitive to dancers, but picking music has gotten way out of hand. If you pick music geared to the older big money crowd, dancers are open minded enough to dance to it, the customers enjoy their visit more, the club has a better and more solid client base, everyone makes more money and is happy. Most of the girls on here seem pretty bright and open to the idea of pleasing the clientele, but this is usually not the case, at least in my area. :) best wishes to all!

Topaz
02-09-2003, 02:31 AM
you seem to have a problem with r&b music. well.... a lot of the older crowd like to listen to it (think old school motown sound). not everyone is into classic rock....even in the older crowd.

randmania
02-09-2003, 03:30 AM
no problem with r&b, if it doesn't represent 60+% of the music played, and no problem at all with older stuff. I do have a problem with Ja rule and DMX when the average customer is 40+ and white

Topaz
02-09-2003, 03:34 AM
hmmmmm....i have a problem with dmx and ja rule as well....and i'm 30+ and black....

america's least wanted

randmania
02-09-2003, 03:46 AM
I don't mean to come across to self rightous, I just believe that you gear the music to the crowd, they are the reason all of us are there. I've worked with too many girls who honestly do not care if the clientele enjoys their music. I also notice this attitude showing up more and more. One of the clubs I worked at was frequented by D12 and I kept them happy as can be all night long mixing it up, so I have no problem with rap and r&b when it's appropriate. It's just the number of rap/r&b girls is often way too high a percentage of the girls working and most are unwilling to adjust to keep the right mix between rock/r&b/techno for the big money clientele. Don't get me wrong, my girls love me, I do the very best I can to keep them happy, but not at the expense of the people we are there to entertain.

randmania
02-09-2003, 07:26 PM
DJoser, the wah was for the "abused" dancers, not you, trust me, I know how absolutely maddening it is to work for and with idiots. My problem was with girls who will not work me to please the crowd, when you have almost all r&b girls some have to give, I try to do as much as I can for them but when they all want "air force ones" or "how many licks" and none will budge, it's irritating. I've seen the club I work at go from totally jammed with older executives, to borderline ghetto, because of too much rap ane r&b. some is fine, but 8% isn't.
If guys are tapping their feet, singing and whatnot, they are obviously enjoying themselves, this is our goal. They also stay longer and spend more money. If a guy sees a girl dancing to his favorite song, he automatically has something in common with her. I had a below average looking r&b girl let me change her music to fit the crowd, she made a fortune on stage and had four guys lined up for dances afterward, her friend who followed her (and absolute knockout) went up and did dmx and lil kim, made a dollar, and had nothing lined up when she came down.
I have no idea how easy your girls are to work with, many of mine are great, some are nightmares.
I feel your pain on the music police mgt. As competent Dj's, our specialty is music, so let us work our magic. We both know how much difference a good DJ not handcuffed by "princess complex" girls and idiotic management can make.
By the way, what constitutes classic rock if not the stones and zz top?
I too have had M. Carey classified as rap.
I piss a few girls off, but most will follow me where ever I go. I've also worked with nearly every major feature (J. Jameson, Amber Lynn, ect.), and they all pleased.
You sound like a good guy who honestly cares about more than the money, sorry if I offended you.
take care

Djoser
02-09-2003, 07:45 PM
(Edited 10/16/2004--I had written a sarcastic story a couple of posts above here, in rebuttal to what I perceived as criticism of me by Randmania, which I later deleted as I felt like I had over-reacted--Randmania is a very cool guy and I felt like a total asshole. This story contained a line describing a "drug-addled manager" at a stripclub which had had trouble after I left.

Someone claiming to be me posted something about a "drug-addled manager" on StripClubList, on the same club's comments page, early in 2004. I do not believe for a second it was Randmania)

Damn, there I go again getting all hot and bothered. Apology accepted, Randmania, and I'm sorry for being oversensitive! That, I will confess, is a criticism which can be made of me. I removed my lengthy and unecessary reply, in the interest of maintaining a more positive atmosphere!

Djoser

PS I am totally in ageement that a few dancers just don't get it, and sometimes you are forced to either have a hellacious battle, piss her off by NOT playing what she wants, and having the crowd lose interest because she is so obviously faking, or is out and out pissed and just standing there: or playing what she wants and having the crowd lose interest and the manager on your ass. I usually offer the option, if she is an inflexible R & B girl and the rednecks just walked in, of being skipped.

Djoser
02-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Also, I have head that Jenna Jameson is very hard to please, so that says a lot for you. Out of curiousity, did you find that to be true? Never mind, she might read this, LOL. Just accept my compliments.

Djoser

Tre
02-10-2003, 07:53 AM
WAH!! (and, sorry to say, that one IS directed at the Dj comments here.)

When your opinions of the work you do consist more of complaints and animosity, it's time to hang up the headphones, so to speak, and move on.

This applies to dancing, Dj-ing, as well as any other occupation under the sun.

How can one be doing their job to their fullest potential when the above mentioned opinions are the ones most often voiced.

I agree, things are not the way they used to be. I also agree, with the expansive modern day musical library, any dancer should be capable of breaking away from the unemotional, 3-minute, $5 bump and grind.

As DJ's, it would be your job to compliment the dancer. Neither party works above or under the other. Hence why neither has the direct ability to fire the other. ;D

If I walk into another person's home, and the music playing on their radio is not to my taste, I simply leave the room. Or, I shut my mouth and live with it.
After all, I chose to walk into that room, and I certainly don't believe it is my place to change their radio station.

For as we all know, everyone should be listening to Pink Floyd 24/7.
It'll never happen, so I enjoy the moments when I, myself, can.

randmania
02-10-2003, 09:17 AM
As Dj's and Dancers it is our jobs to entertain the clientele, not ourselves, My opinions are ALL customer satisfaction oriented. My complaints were toward entertainers who want what they want and do not care about that ideal. We do need each other, but it shouldn't even be a discussion when it comes to what's best for our clientele.
I think tre said it best:
"If I walk into another person's home, and the music playing on their radio is not to my taste, I simply leave the room. Or, I shut my mouth and live with it. "
That is what happens when you don't gear as much of the entertainment as possible toward the customers, this includes music,dj's babbling, girls talking to each other on stage, girls ignorring guys offstage, as well as the management and waitstaff's attitude.

Jenna is supposed to be a pain to Dj's, but she was a peach to me.
Floyd is near the top of my personal (no relation to my work list) list as well.

Djoser
02-10-2003, 12:29 PM
I DID leave the room, precisely because they wouldn't let me play the fucking Pink Floyd, even though everyone there was asking for it, and would have paid a lot of money to hear it, like last time they were there.

So did all the cute girls, and the customers as well.

Uncle Fred is still there, with those three fat girls and the geek, listening to "Play That Funky Music, White Boy".

The rest of us just found a new room, where they have a little class, and we can make money again, by playing what everyone wants to hear, dancers and customers alike.

Sorry for yelling about what a dick Uncle Fred was, on the way out the door. But it wasn't very nice of him, to be whacking off to those dressing room tapes, and make us stop playing that song we loved so much (OK, so Granny hates it, sorry).

Apparently, I chose the wrong place to vent my frustration with the situation. Well, excuse me. I thought I was among my fellow artists and friends, who are also sometimes tired of dealing with ignorance, and occasionally have trouble finding a room that doesn't suck.

Djoser

PS Oops, I spilled coffee on the doiley.

Tre
02-10-2003, 03:34 PM
To start, my "Floyd" comment was irony. Well demonstrated in the replies.

Second of all, as moderator, my duties include keeping an eye on threads/issues that look to be getting out of hand, and those with that potential.
As well as putting a cap on issues or complaints that have been beat to death.

My apologies if my comments hit too close to home for some.

An intolerance for ignorance is healthy. Almost as much so as an intolerance for redundancy.