PDA

View Full Version : Ian Moore - "Modernday Folklore"

McCain
06-06-2002, 02:40 PM
;D"Muddy Jesus" - Clocks in at 4:52 on PC, CD sleeve says 3:55. Very quiet instrumental intro clocks about 20 seconds. Upbeat tempo, with macho sound. Listen to it a few times, so that you won't get tripped up. Mostly in standard time, but towards the end it can get confusing.
:)"Society"- Clocks in at 4:11 on PC, CD sleeve says 4:05. Has mid-tempo funk-sound going on. Bit on the socially preachy side, lyric-wise. Roughly standard time.
Would you want to dance to it? Well, I think it has a certain appeal, but could be questionable. The jury is still out on this one.
:("Today" - Clocks in at 5:05 on PC, CD sleeve says 5:00. Very slow tempo, sounds gospel-ish.
I personally would NOT even consider dancing to this.
:("Daggers" - Clocks in at 2:01 on PC, CD sleeve says 1:57. Very mellow and quiet, with short instrumental intro.
Again, I would NOT recommend this song for dancing.
;) ;D"Bar Line 99" - Clocks in at 4:21 on PC, CD sleeve says 4:23. Building high-powered instrumental intro clocks roughly 40 seconds, then moves into primary bass-line. Don't think it's standard time, but danceable. Listen to it first, and pay attention to changes at ending. About 2:30 on the clock, there is a very short rest. Qualifies as sexy.
Would you want to dance to it? Oh, hell yes.
:-/"Dandelion" - Clocks in at 3:52 on PC, CD sleeve says 3:11. Very mellow, lower-mid tempo. Beautiful song. Mostly standard time. Light orchestra backing. Slow guitar solo starts around 1:50.
Would you want to dance to it? It could be done, but it's questionable.
:)"Lie" - Clocks in at 5:45 on PC, CD sleeve says 5:28. Blues intro of organ and guitar. Starts out slow and quiet then moves into the rock groove. Keeps alternating between those things. Cool brass band background in parts. A little bit of changeup at end, but nothing that not easily worked. Around 5:20, it gets quiet, and then comes back. I would have a DJ edit this out.
Would you want to dance to it? I think this one is a definite possibility.
:-/"Train Tracks" - Clocks in at 4:06 on PC, CD sleeve says 4:01. 25 second intro of a train chugging, then moves into heavy guitar riff. Music itself is in standard time, but lyrics seem to be 3/4 in parts. Long, winding guitar intro in the middle. Ending is repetitive. The song rocks, and has a vindictive theme.
Would you want to dance to it? I suppose some people would, practice, but I personally wouldn't. I can only say, "To each their own."
:-/"Monday Afternoon" - Clocks in at 2:28 on PC, CD sleeve says 2:25. This one has a very mellow tempo. A sweet song. Instrumental starts around 1:20.
Would you want to dance to it? Only if you want to use a really short song. Too slow for most crowds.
:("You'll Be Gone" - Clocks in at 5:17 on PC, CD sleeve says 5:16. Banjo type intro clocks about 30 seconds, then moves into vocals. VERY quiet, almost non-existent bassline - vocally centered, and sounds sleepy.
I most definitely would NOT recommend it for dancing.
:)"Stain" - Clocks in at 5:30 on PC, CD sleeve says 5:28. Vocal intro. A very clear mid-tempo funk-ified thing, complete with trombones! There is a high-pitched guitar solo that starts around 2:40 - might want a DJ to edit it out.
Would you want to dance to it? I can see potential, if you have a good DJ who can edit well.Certain crowds would like this. Give it a listen before you decide.
:("Morning Song" - Clocks in at 6:04 on PC, CD sleeve says 6:44. Organ intro (I think) clocks about 30 seconds, then slides into vocals. Very sweet song, VERY slow.
I would NOT recommend it for dancing.
:("Home" - Clocks in at 2:10 on PC, CD sleeve says 2:10. No intro. Vocally centered. Low-key and low-tempo.
I would NOT recommend this one either.

If you are looking to use it for dancing, you have a couple of winners, and a couple of ones that may or may not work. I feel the whole CD is an artistically solid piece, and worth checking out. It's classification would be very hard to pin down. Maybe Blues Rock.

Artist: Ian Moore
Album: Modernday Folklore
Label: Capriorn
Year: ca. 1995
Available: Not in stock at a lot of record stores, but you should be able to order it. If you shop online, try CDNow, Tower, or Amazon. I suggest watching for it on Half.com - reduced prices since they are mostly used, and seller ratings because they are affiliated with Ebay. I bought it on Half.com, and I paid $2 plus S&H.

McCain

jorgea
11-14-2011, 07:59 PM
This CD sounds like a mini masterpiece. Thanks for your review of all of its songs.