PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new forum software & info!!

Pryce
12-12-2003, 03:36 AM
Welcome to the new forum software, a customized version of YaBBSE.

Well, we're done for day one and the forums are complete enough to re-open. While there are a few more tweaks to add - most of the forum should be operational. Please let us know if you run into any trouble. There is an known incompatibility with instant messaging and Norton's Internet Security, so you may have to disable it if you wish to send private messages for now.

We're happy to finally let everyone see the new boards we've been working on for a while now. Here's a quick overview:

Chat - The new chat lists how many users are in it on every page of the forum. You will notice a small line of text directly under the forum navigation (you can hide this if you wish by checking the option in your profile). The chat itself has also changed - the software is much better - try it. =)

IM Preferences - You now have several options for your Instant/Private Messages. You can get a pop-up notice to let you know when you get new messages, you can get an email, you can ignore members, you can select an audio sound for notification.

Moods - You can now select your mood. You mood will be displayed in your posts and profile.

Boards Collapse - You can collapse categories you don't read often so its boards don't take up room on your screen. Click the category name next to the [-] picture to collapse. To expand click the category name that will then be next to the [+] picture. I'll explain this better later.

Avatars - We have added many more avatars, we have also removed some. If you used one of our standard avatars, it probably still exists, but has just been moved. Look through them to find it. If your avatar is linked to (you checked the "I have my own pic" box) then your avatar will be displayed at 100x100. If you'd like to use your own picture we suggest you upload it using the new "Upload own picture" in your profile. It makes adding pictures very easy - you just have to resize them properly. If you don't know how to do this, we will have a help file later.

Bio's - The old bio's have been lost. The new system works differently, so you'll have to retype it in your profile.

IM Preferences - You now have several options for your Instant/Private Messages. You can get a pop-up notice to let you know when you get new messages, you can get an email, you can ignore members, you can select an audio sound for notification.

Hide - The old board showed everyone who was online. You can now set yourself as hidden if you don't wish to be seen.

Online - Your online status is also shown in your posts - so other members can see if you're online when they're replying.

Language Packs - You can change the language of the YaBB buttons if you choose.

Disable Quick-Reply - If you don't like to use the quick-reply box, you can disable it in your profile.

Secret Question - To recover your password, you now have the option to add a secret question and answer.

Karma - This allows members to give credit to members the enjoy and take credit from those they don't. Karma is displayed in each users posts. I'm not sure about keeping this though...I like to keep things positive and this could easily turn bad. We'll demo it for now.

Member Map - You can now display where you live or work using our member map. It's a little weird to use, but do-able. Play with it if you'd like - in the future I'll explain it better.

Couple Gender - We also added a couple gender for those that share a computer with their spouse...no need for two accounts any more.

Polls - The old polls have been lost and the new ones work a little differently. Try 'em out.

Go Down and Go Up - There are now go up and go down buttons on the topic pages. This makes it easy to go to the last post (they basically scroll for you quickly).

Search - There is now a simplified search, the old search still exists if you wish to use it (click advanced search on the search page).

Memberlist - The memberlist is a little different.

Notification - You can now have the forum email you for messages you want to be notifed about. The old board allowed this, but the new version has more options - I'll leave it to you to check it out.

This is getting long huh?

Smilies - We've added many more smilies, we think these are much better and fit the board better. They are now displayed in a box to the right of the post area. We've also changed the "standard" smilies. Right now they're construction workers - because we're working over here. We will be changing the "standard" smilies seasonally from now on. ;)

WYSIWYG - The post page has a "What you see is what you get" editor. This makes it easy to create fancy posts - it is similar to Word.

Attachments - Attachments are back! You can again add files to your posts...like Karma, we're testing this out. If it get's abused or greatly increases our traffic, we will disable it.

That's it for now. It's 2:30am, GirlFriday has a flu and I must sleep. Enjoy it and we'll see you around the boards. I'll post more details on how to use the features as time permits. Again, if you run into any trouble, post it in Site Issues or email me if its personal - [email protected]

Take care,
Pryce

Chuck149
12-12-2003, 04:26 AM
Wow :o Pryce & GF, great job. The new forum looks great!

Pryce
12-12-2003, 04:26 AM
Before I forget, there's also a "Report to moderator" button at the bottom of every post. It can be used to report problem posts...

3:30am :crazy:

Everyone's been emailed and both sites are live.

G'night for real this time. ;)

Niceguy
12-12-2003, 04:39 AM
New site looks good. You were only down a day in people time so that is pretty good. Looks the same but vaguely different. Response time on command execution is faster I think. PM (e mail) interface to user seems the most different on the PM side.
Fairly easy to figure it out though. Congratulations.

anais
12-12-2003, 06:21 AM
Great job being efficient and speedy! Thanks. Personally, I don't like the construction worker smilies though. Do we have any non-construction worker ones? Haven't looked yet.

seraya
12-12-2003, 06:40 AM
hi all....

yea anais we do have other smilies at the side.

well its good to be back and the new site looks great....

not sure bout the karma thingy though... but hey!

Thanx pryce and GF..... Seraya

seraya
12-12-2003, 07:16 AM
pryce why are there two forum buttons?

montythegeek
12-12-2003, 07:33 AM
Pryce...It looks great. Mucho thanks for the early holiday present!!
I did notice when I was cleaning up my messages that when I hit the browser back button I got a minor error message and "Hacker?" rather than the way it used to work--No biggy but thought you might want to know.

Question on etiquette? Are males allowed to applaud or smite (karma) in ladies-only forum? It is your house so you make the rules.

Happy_Camper
12-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Well it is looking good, except that I cant find my avatar. And I am going to look stupid without spell check...

Pamela
12-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Wow! Ok as i got my passwork! Thanks SW. I am making my way around here. I like the new board. It has many bells and whistles!! Pryce and GirlFriday, fantastic job! More to come....nice. Can it get any better ? Really. It's beautiful. Now i must learn how to use all the toys!

Thanks,
Pamela

doc-catfish
12-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Note to any member with a multiple word username:

I tried logging in as dr. catfish and it wouldn't let me in. I browsed the forums and saw that my username now appeared as dr._catfish (notice the underscore between the two words), so I logged in again putting an underscore where the space used to be and it worked.

It looks kinda silly that way so I "doctored" it a little. Still have to use the old name to log in though.
:doctor:

If you're having trouble logging in I'd suggest trying this.

These new smilies rock!! :yay:

Pryce
12-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone!

anais - the construction workers will be changed in a few days for an xmas set.

seraya frm london - fixed the two forum links, it was late last night. One was actually for chat.

MTG - karma can be clicked anywhere. It's a running total for each member, so it doesn't really matter where you do it.

happy camper - what was your avatar?

Spell check? I'm hoping to get it working again. It'll just take time.

Dr. - Thanks for the tip, something we didn't test for, glad you figured it out.

Pamela
12-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Guys...Pryce, is it do-able for me to take a short vid. off my camera (real camera) and upload it to my avatar ? How short, if do-able ? I would like maybe a few seconds of car and i. Just a thought.

Pamela

merely_lurking
12-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I think these are some outstanding changes that have been made with the new code installment. On a down note, it is allowing me to post over here again for some reason. :boggled: Before any instant rebanning occurs, I would beg for one small chance for all of you to experience my new reformed, sensitive, gets-along-with-everyone, all-around nice guy persona. Anyone up for a group hug? :grouphug:

Topaz
12-12-2003, 04:35 PM
...interesting....

:thinking:

jennaHarley
12-12-2003, 06:47 PM
i think the new changes are pretty kool - the only thing i was wondering was if there was a way to change the font size when your reading messages? it just seems so small..
just a thought - i'm sure you have other things to 'tweak' still!!

seraya
12-12-2003, 06:54 PM
btw pryce and GF i'm totally loving the avatars!

Pryce
12-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks, we surfed around and spent several nights collecting 'em.

JH - I replied in your other post.

ML - the new system bans users from both boards. So if you get banned here you're banned from SCJ too...I'd recommend self-control - this is what, opportunity 3 or 4? :)

Tia_q
12-13-2003, 02:13 AM
Thank you so much for the hard work you've put into this! Great job!! :dazzled:

merely_lurking
12-13-2003, 08:57 AM
ML - the new system bans users from both boards. So if you get banned here you're banned from SCJ too...I'd recommend self-control - this is what, opportunity 3 or 4? :)

I understand. I'm sure I'll be afforded little room for error. Some of us are just slow learners, that's all. :idiot:

montythegeek
12-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Pryce,
I do not know if this is a bug or was acting odd before but this page looks bizarre about 1/2 way down.
http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1896;sta rt=msg25296#msg25296

If the link does not work right it is page 3 of $average these days$ in ladies only board

cinammonkisses
12-13-2003, 12:10 PM
WOWWWWWWWW!!!! The new site is soooooo cool. I cant' help but not smile. I feel like a kid in a candy store!! It's so clean and fresh..if you know what I mean. Anyway, the site looks awesome. Man I'm so glad it's back up..I was having withdrawls over here lmao. I was constantly loggin in to see if the site was ready. I'm so happy and content now!!

Pryce
12-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks MTG, that was another hiccup in the migration. :) Fixed now.

Topaz, I just have to re-create it as there's time. I miss it too. ;)

Thank you Cinnamon and Tia, it's great to see people enjoying our work and effort!

CutiePatootie
12-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Very cool!!!!
All the new options & features are awesome!!
But now that the site is even MORE fun, it's harder to get my butt off here and do other things....like go to work. lol
;)

Peace & Hugs