PDA

View Full Version : Has the site been slower?

Pryce
02-05-2004, 10:24 AM
It seems to me & girlfriday that the site has been running a bit sluggish. Has anyone else noticed or is it just our connection?

seraya
02-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Hiya pryce...

The site has been VERY slow! I noticed it earlier but just thought it was my comp.

Seraya

masarati
02-05-2004, 10:43 AM
I've had it slow today as well, I thought it was me too.

slvrgloss
02-05-2004, 10:48 AM
ditto

LayaLeighton
02-05-2004, 10:52 AM
It's been really, really slow today. I have a super speedy computer and connection but it's still taking about 4 minutes for pages to load.

Rhiannon
02-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Same here.. It's been VERY slow. I have DSL, so it's normally very very fast, and I speed through the site. But the past couple of days, when I click on a topic to read, it takes forever to load, only to display a "technical difficulties" page? I even tried rebooting a little while ago, to see if it was me, but I'm having the same problems.

:(

Ferrari
02-05-2004, 11:14 AM
It' been slow for me, too...DSL here as well. Like the others, I assumed it was a problem on my end.

Miss_Luscious
02-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Yes it has been slow. I thought it was my computer too. I have cable modem. After I rebooted my computer, SW is still slow. I'm glad I saw this topic, I was going to call Comcast and ask them WTF was going on.

bibacle
02-05-2004, 03:53 PM
From the "Newbie" board I learned that slow is sexy, but I still can't find the stage here.... Yeah, a very long time and sometimes no response between screens

Pryce
02-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I've contacted my host and they're working on it. From what I can tell, I think we're just overloading the software. Lately, we've been hitting record numbers...averaging 60-90 people on at the same time. I'll see what we can do to accomodate everyone.

Pryce
02-05-2004, 05:26 PM
I made a change that has improved the speed of the boards, but it's still not as fast as I'd like. Hrm, may be time to upgrade our service speed.

Niceguy
02-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah it is running slow. This was posted about 7 p.m. CST
and it is taking about one to two minutes to load topic boards and sometimes longer to load individual topics.

In general the internet has been acting a bit strange for about a week. Had a couple of emails that took two entire days to be delivered to my electronic in box.

NVJosh
02-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Ironically, if its from the volume of activity recently, couldn't it be called eyez' revenge? The amount of chatter she's generated has slowed things to a halt. :)

And yes, I've noticed a significant slowdown, too. :(

seraya
02-05-2004, 06:39 PM
LOL Josh i was thinking the SAME thing.... definitely the eyez issue.

But i agree with nice guy the internet in general seems to be playing up..... that or we just have a slow connection or shit computers lol ;)

Seraya.

Rhiannon
02-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the improvement, Pryce, It's been a little faster on this end. I was thinking the same thing though, site traffic could have been the culprit. I also noticed that when I signed off AOL (that is how I usually sign on to the site), and opened up Internet Explorer, there was a great difference in speed. Maybe AOL was contributing to the lagging?

Anyway, thanks again, Pryce!!!

:cool:

Farrah_Holiday
02-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Ironically, if its from the volume of activity recently, couldn't it be called eyez' revenge? The amount of chatter she's generated has slowed things to a halt. :)

And yes, I've noticed a significant slowdown, too. :(

Ditto !! lol..

katmann98
02-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Yes, something is definitely wrong. It takes forever to open a new page?? My computer is really fast and all other web sites open almost instantly. Time for Geeks on Call to take a look ......

Niceguy
02-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Site update. Posted at about 12:15 p.m. CST. All the boards seem back to normal response except the following.
AFter four minutes of waiting on the "Lounge" (Old general board)
it hangs and I can't get in at all. I interpret this as the 21st century version of an internet busy signal. ALot of users clogging the board up. Heavy traffic. The other tought one to get in is "Site Issues."
About a two minute wait.

I am using a new P4 computer with every bell and whistle on capacity and have a DSL connection on a router system in my house.
I've tested the DSL speed and it is 320 kps which is OK. (I thought SBC
was giving me 720 kps.. but thats marketing for ya.) Generally the internet speed ifpor me here is pretty snappy if not as good as a corporate T1 or T3 line.

The rest of the the site boards have about the same wait time which is
minimal. This is different than yesterday where all the boards had a "hang time."

Looks like a traffic jam for you on the "Lounge" board.

Pryce
02-06-2004, 01:21 PM
You'll now notice at the bottom center of each forum page there is now a "Page created in xx.xxx seconds" section. From what I can see when there are about 50 people on at once, forums and posts load in about 9 seconds. When there are 70+ people the forums and posts load in about 30 seconds. I'm working with the software and my webhost to see what we can do to accomodate everyone without raising the bills too much.

Our last ditch effort, if we can't find another solution, would be to require all readers to join as most (60%-80%) of the traffic is from "guests". That'll mean that the traffic will be reserved for those who've at least taken the time to register.

TiNi
02-06-2004, 02:07 PM
I agree Pryce. Members only. I have optonline and it slow like dial up.

Zabrina
02-06-2004, 02:15 PM
It seems slower than ever today, but I'm glad I found this thread so I know it's not just me.

doc-catfish
02-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Yep, here too, and it seems to be getting worse. All the boards on SW seem to be affected (even at what I would call off peak hours).
:confused:

SCJ loads like a charm though! :highfive:

montythegeek
02-06-2004, 05:43 PM
69 seconds when there were 42 guests and 21members.
I think someone on the server has a virus or worm.
Loading the forums seems slower than pages within forums.

Katrine
02-07-2004, 12:08 AM
No problems with SCJ, or any of the other sites I normally visit. Have you checked for any bugs or patches for the sofware you use? Or can you (or you ISP) increase the cache, memory, etc....to be maximized for SW, and decrease bandiwdth going to the IP that hosts SCJ (no offense junkies!)

Good luck!

Madcap
02-07-2004, 12:15 AM
Looking at the sourcecode, i can't see a reason for it being this slow.

Can someone currently on broadband Ping the server and tell me what they get?

Click Start
Click Run
Type "CMD"
When the command prompt comes up type "Ping
Tell me what you see.

Also

Try this...

Click Start
Click Run
Type "CMD"
Type Tracert
Tell me what you see.

Try to type it exactly as you see it.

I am currently on a dial up account, so it's useless for me to Ping or tracerout anything. I just need to see where the bottleneck is.

m
02-07-2004, 12:32 AM
on your pm

Madcap
02-07-2004, 12:38 AM
m did it for me. I don't see a bottleneck.

Looks like a worm to me. I suppose traffic could be responsible, but this site doesn't get enough to make for a noticable slowdown (for that you need to be MSN.com or something).

If I was price, i'd run an antivirus scan on the server (if it's hosted on a home system) or call up the Provider and raise hell.

Pryce
02-07-2004, 11:01 AM
I've made some changes to the software and now I'm getting 2-7 second loads, not bad, but there are only like 50 people on right now. Let me know how it works for you.

Madcap
02-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah, now it's error after error.

Madcap
02-07-2004, 11:22 AM
An Error Has Occurred!

2: opendir(/mnt2/users/visionh/visionh/stripperweb.com/html/forum/smilies): failed to open dir: No such file or directory
(/mnt2/users/visionh/visionh/stripperweb.com/html/forum/Sources/Post.php ln 1885)

Pryce
02-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Fixed, thanks madcap

Niceguy
02-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Posted about 10:45 a.m. PST (12:45 p.m. CST).
It's running alot better than yesterday. at about 10:35 PST it gave continual errors of trying to connect to SQL server portal error from the web site itself. This might have been about when you were correcting it. Seems better... but not very many people on line.

Pryce
02-07-2004, 01:01 PM
60+ users and about 2 second load times, I'm happy with that. Whew, made a lot of changes - I was afraid I'd have to redo everything! Please let me know how it continues for you - I'm going to relax about it now. The errors were happening when I was uploading the new files. Let me know if you run into any more.

doc-catfish
02-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Pryce,

I just happened to notice the "All" link to view the entire thread on one page is gone. Is this an error or by design? No biggie, I was just wondering.

Also would anybody please look at this thread (http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/index.php/stripperweb/stripping-exotic-dancing/customer/t4038.html), and check if they're seeing what I'm seeing. Everything is displayed normally until reply #8, and then everything just goes wack. Can anyone find any other threads where this sort of thing is occuring?

I thought that it might be my browser, but I checked with another browser and it revealed the same results. Also whomever gave reply #6, has no name and negative 2 posts! The second page in that thread is fine though.
:confused:

On the upside, things do seem to be running faster. Even with the increased traffic.
:great:

Pryce
02-07-2004, 02:37 PM
I killed the all link because when used it works the site really hard. Instead of the site having to serve up 100's of posts at once, it now only has to do it in 25 post chunks. If a lot of users click all, it could make the site crawl.

I fixed that one page, it's a known bug in the forum that I'm gonna have to fix as I have time.

:cheers:

Zabrina
02-07-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm going to miss the 'all' links, :'( but it is for the good of the site. I'm very happy things are working normally again ;D ;D

Farrah_Holiday
02-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Well the site is moving again but, every time I push the "go down" tab located at the top of each thread I am taken to the Forum page..Is anyone else having this problem ??

LoveSexMoney
02-07-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm going to miss the 'all' links,
*sigh* me too. But as long as it's for the good of the site...

Pryce
02-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Go down and up are working again! :) Sorry about removing the all link, but it's time.

Niceguy
02-08-2004, 02:13 AM
The site in my opinion is now back to running in it's normally snappy response time. The general board (AKA "lounge") is slightly slower but of course it gets the most traffic. It's about the same speed as it was
two or three months ago which was good to my recollection.

seraya
02-08-2004, 09:05 AM
I think its even quicker now...... great job pryce.

Aww i too will miss the "all" button, but oh well.

Seraya.