PDA

View Full Version : Makeup

tiffy1
03-31-2004, 09:04 PM
OK, I guess I'm a bit of a tom-boy 'cause I've never really worn make-up before! :-* It seems like MAC is a really popular brand among people "in the know" but they charge $40 to show you how to do the make-up one time and don't subtract the cost of make-up you buy (like some other companies)! I just started working and don't want to spend a ton of money on make-up if it isn't worth it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MotherDaisy
03-31-2004, 09:33 PM
It has taken me years to figure out what kind of makeup looks best on me and what works with my skin and features. I have probably tried 100 different products and for the past few years I have pretty much done the same thing with the best products for me.

It is worth $40 dollars to get a lesson to speed up the learning process. You would earn that forty dollars back very quickly in the future if you dance. It will pay for itself.

If you need concealer and foundation it is definetely worth it to go to a professional to help you learn how to apply it correctly.

Lips and eyes are all about experimentation. Get your girlfriends together and have a make over tiffany party and talk about makeup and different products all night. Most girls know a ton about makeup, as much as some makeup artists. Clinique counters give free makeovers.

All those brand names train their own people and have to do makeup how their company tells them. A lot of salons give lessons and do your makeup. Call around, the bigger salon day spas do this.

Magazines are also great for learning beauty tips and tricks. They are cheap if you order them through the mail. Magazine line has the best prices or buy one you like in the store and send in the little card. It is usually like $1 an issue. I subscribe to 8 magazines and am like a girlie, beauty queen when it comes to makeup and hair. You can learn a ton from tips in mags or looking at pictures.

I couldn't work without my eye makeup. I have perfected it over the years and get compliments all the time.

You'll learn soon. Just don't over do every part of your face and no crazy colored eye shadow!!

Fawn
03-31-2004, 10:53 PM
other counters at the mall will show you for free, then you know how to put what where, and you can go to mac, and try on some colors.

Emily
04-01-2004, 01:48 AM
MAC isn't the only good brand. I freaking love Lancome, and I will only use Bare Escentuals for foundation.

LoveSexMoney
04-01-2004, 08:31 AM
You can get a free eye demonstration at MAC if you buy $40 of product. None of the other brands comes close when it comes to making up the eyes, just take a look at all their reps!

I prefer working with their pigments. They are intensely colored and blend easily. Paint also is very vivid and blends great but tricky to use if you're a novice since they dry sooooo quickly. Paint stays put until you wash it off, literally.

Whatever brand you get the true secret is your brushes. You gotta blend like mad, then blend some more.

Emily
04-01-2004, 09:34 AM
The paints are my favorite MAC product, and will make any brand eye shadow look better and stay put if you use the paints as a base.

tiffy1
04-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I've never even heard of eye paint or thought of eyeshadow as needing to dry! I think this is probably indicative of a need to have someone professional "show me the way!" Thanks for the info about MAC eyes being free (with purchase)! Really eye make-up is what I need the most help on 'cause I've never really used it before. You gals are the best!

seraya
04-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Here they charge £10 for a MAC make make over which they also subtract agamist your purchase.... this is in a dept. store, the actual MAC shop charge more, i think..... so maybe you could find some where, where they charge cheaper than 40 bucks.

Anyway i still say the 40 bucks is worth it. I LOVE MAC, its all i wear and have done since age 15. The way you apply your make-up is so inmportant and will make a big difference so its worth paying that extra cost.

Seraya.

Farrah_Holiday
04-01-2004, 11:44 AM
MAC also has a private session that cost $75-90 for an hour.
When I got mine done I learned a variety of looks and I also got
30% off their products for a month.
They also provide 30% discount for entertainers.
I also recently found out about another makeup company.
They also give 30% to entertainers and their colors are beautiful..

www.howtobeauty.com

LoveSexMoney
04-01-2004, 03:19 PM
yeah, the paints work great as an eye base. Also, they're a great alternative to liquid liner I just use my angled eyebrow brush.

Even if you can't get the free eye demo it is so worth it to pay the money to learn what brushes to use to apply what product and different blending techniques. I like higher end department store cosmetics also but you will not get the same level of, uh, artistry.

The brushes are expensive, you can get less expensive but still decent brushes at Target I think the brand is Sonia Kashuk. I started a thread awhile back called "where to find quality makeup brushes" that's how I discovered the Target brushes.

asingledancer
04-01-2004, 08:49 PM
wait,, MAC offers 30 percent discount to entertainers?????????????????????????????????????? ???????

wow, when does this happen , and how do you go about asking them for the discount, lol?

shopgal23916
04-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey Sweets,

This is right up my way! Due to me being in Beauty College LOL lucky you.

I read some of the response you got and I agree if you don't know how to do make up then buy mags they do give you helpful tips Allure gives you cheat sheets that you can take or tape to your mirror and do it step by step. I don't know what you are looking for like foundation, concealer etc...

I have worked for Mac, and the Macy's make up counters so I know a bit about that line. MAC is great for lasting long. For exsample they have a foundation out that doesn't come off with sweat however it will cake your face. The eyeshadows they have great colors but its very harsh on fair skin.

Prescriptions is an AMAZING LINE they actaully make the make up for your face only! The show you how to put it on and what colors will go best with your face shape. Its all about how much you want to invest!

I hope I helped!

Farrah_Holiday
04-02-2004, 12:26 AM
wait,, MAC offers 30 percent discount to entertainers?????????????????????????????????????? ???????

wow, when does this happen , and how do you go about asking them for the discount, lol?

If you work in an area that requires licensing its a little bit easier. Because you have proof that you're a dancer/entertainer.
When I lived in Houston I was able to get one by showing them my dance license and a letter from my club verifying that I was an employee. That was quite a few years ago.

Call your local store and ask how to apply for a discount card. Then go from there. Be sure to let them know you are an entertainer.

LoveSexMoney
04-02-2004, 03:00 PM
The PPID program has changed somewhat it's no longer free. I just went to MAC this afternoon to restock and I picked up a new application for the PPID card (aka 30% discount) Here's the info:

Categories and eligible professions:
A) Makeup Artist
B) Aesthetician; Cosmetologist; Performer; Model; Hairstylist; Fashion Stylist; Nail Technician

Professional Identification:
Copies of photo ID and 2 of the following criteria...Required ID must be current, indicate specific profession and will not be returned:

Composite Card, Business Card, Editorial Page with name credit, Union Card, Head Shot, Professional LIcense, Diploma, Publication Masthead, Program/Press Materials w/ name credit, Contract on production company letterhead, Crew/Call LIst on Prod. co. letterhead, Professional Letter of Reference of employment on business or agency letterhead

A copy of your dancer permit and letter from your housemom/manager will suffice. The fee is $35.

Here is contact info from the ap:

[email protected]
800-387-6706 x2417

As a side note this paid membership program is supposed to give us (members) some additional perks as opposed to the old program (the white and black cards) but I don't know what I was in a rush this afternoon.

asingledancer
04-02-2004, 11:47 PM
i dont have a dancer permit! My state doesnt require it.
Im guessing i dont get a discount!!!!!

LoveSexMoney
04-04-2004, 01:21 PM
hmmmmmmmm....I don't think that's entirely true. First of all, a letter from your manager/housemom on stripclub letterhead will work for one. Also it lists business card as one of the acceptable ID's; go get a business card made! Also, if you've done any commercial print work that would work as well. Get creative girl, you're a performer, you're not trying to pull the wood over anybody's eyes!

That 30% adds up big time...believe me.

Farrah_Holiday
04-04-2004, 01:26 PM
You're so right Sapphire ! 30% is a lot..

LoveSexMoney
04-04-2004, 01:30 PM
You're right! I spent $90 dollars yesterday you girls should have heard me whine to the cashier, "I can't belieeeeeeeeeve I could have saaaaaaaaaved $30! wah!"

traci
04-08-2004, 12:57 PM
I just got my shadow and gloss online from a new company. I'm not sure where I posted about this website before but, oops. I love this stuff. I came across a link online from a bodypainting site and checked it out. You have got to take a peak at this. I suck at my makeup, and the beauty gods have answered my prayers. Go to www.howtobeauty.com this site is a cosmetics site and a free instructional site. I ordered one shadow and a gloss, first of all the shadow is like twice the size of MAC and the same price, They gave me a 30% discount, no questions asked, I just filled out this stupid submit form. They have free step by step phtos how to aplly the colors and I guess the site is new but they are going to have free step by step videos as well. You don't have to buy anything to use it. How cool is that. Let me know what you think
Traci