PDA

View Full Version : pic of the people you most admire you most admire

Pages : [1] 2

urnemesis
07-15-2004, 06:19 PM
65th United States Infantry Regiment (The “Borinqueneers”)

The first and only all-Puerto Rican unit in the U.S. Army

Of all those who served with honor and distinction in Korea, few displayed the courage, loyalty and determination of the 65th Infantry Regiment of Puerto Rico. From its inception in 1899 until 1950, the regiment had been relegated to minor roles. In Korea, the men of the 65th had their first chance to prove themselves to the skeptics of the U.S. military establishment, and they made the most of the opportunity. Over the course of the war, “Puerto Rico’s Own,” the “Borinqueneers” participated in eight major campaigns, and played a decisive role in several crucial battles. Because of its courageous efforts, the 65th received a Presidential Unit Citation, a Meritorious Unit Commendation, and two Republic of Korea Unit Citations.

Jay Zeno
07-15-2004, 07:33 PM
There was an Army unit in World War II, the 442nd, that was comprised of Japanese-American soldiers. What was truly remarkable was that many of them either had family in American prison camps (for simply being the wrong ethnicity) or had been recruited from there.

They fought in Europe. They had a casualty rate of over 300% and had more decorations for its size unit than any other in the history of the Army.

It boggles the mind, how hard they fought for a country that was actively persecuting them at home.

urnemesis
07-15-2004, 08:05 PM
jay that most def is food for thought.

urnemesis
07-15-2004, 08:19 PM
They were called Nisei Warriors i just looked them up.

Businesses were lost, homes sold quickly and far below market value, families were separated, privacy and dignity stripped from men, women and children...all because of the color of their skin and the origin of their ethnic heritage. Persons with as little as one-sixth Japanese heritage...even Japanese children raised in white foster homes...fell into the category of "potential threats to national security." During one Congressional hearing on the matter a Japanese-American asked "Has the Gestapo come to America?"

shit i thought shit was ruff for people like me but what a dam shame for them.

Pamela
07-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Madonna, nuff said!!!!!

Tiff_7_17
07-15-2004, 11:58 PM
nuff said

Tiff_7_17
07-16-2004, 12:02 AM
Wait one more, and i'm pretty sure that most of you Americans won't even get this one.

Tiff_7_17
07-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Urnemesis, like the cutline:
Some women should be made to cry?

SOME MEN SHOULD BE KICKED IN THE JUNK. REPEATEDLY.

raelene
07-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Pierre Trudeau, OK I cheat, I'm Canadian

MojoJojo
07-16-2004, 03:24 AM
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/prewwii/ta-6.jpg

FemmeFatale
07-16-2004, 08:16 AM
the one and only.....

FemmeFatale
07-16-2004, 08:16 AM
oops it didn't attach the pic!

urnemesis
07-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Tiff_7_17 i agree

MojoJojo are they the Tuskegee airmen .

Chynadoll702
07-16-2004, 02:11 PM
My late cousin
A beautiful soul
admire by all who knew and got the chance to luv him

classylass
07-16-2004, 04:58 PM
My Grandma Pressley (Margaret Nelson Pressley)
My aunt's website is down right now so I can't post a pic. She was the most fascinating, beautiful, intelligent, and capable human being I ever knew. She could do ANYTHING! She passed when I was 13 and I still think of her daily. Sometimes instead of saying my prayers to Jesus I say them to my Grandma because I'm sure she's got some clout up there in heaven to help me out.

FBR
07-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Im still trying to decide.

FBR

lestat1
07-16-2004, 05:07 PM
The brave Phillipino and American soldiers who endured capture and captivity by the Imperial Japanese forces during the Japanese conquest of The Phillipine Islands. One has to go back to Vlad The Impaler to find a comparable level of inhumanity. Most were tortured and killed. many went over a month without a bowel movement (so little were they fed) on their journey back to Japan. Survivors were put to work as slave laborers at indistrial companies, including Mitsubishi.

"The Battling Bastards of Bataan"

big_daddy
07-17-2004, 12:06 AM
My late cousin
A beautiful soul

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

urnemesis
07-17-2004, 12:09 AM
I am sorry also he looked like a very decent young man.

NinaDaisy
07-17-2004, 01:10 AM
Chynnadoll, what a tragedy it is to lose a young man before his life really begins. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. He's the same age as one of my brothers and I really choked up seeing that.

The Borinqueneers are honored all over PR today. The Tuskeege airmen were a great choice too.

I'm looking for a picture of Margaret Sanger, who advocated family planning and was thwarted by the Comstock Law.

MojoJojo
07-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Why yes....yes they are, Urnemesis.

urnemesis
07-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm looking for a picture of Margaret Sanger, who advocated family planning and was thwarted by the Comstock Law.

Nina D i took the liberty to post this on your behave.

American nurse Margaret Sanger’s lifelong campaign for birth control made it possible for women to obtain information on contraception and reproduction. In 1916 she opened the first American birth-control clinic, and later founded the organization that became the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

Chynadoll702
07-17-2004, 01:31 PM
yeah......he just passed away at the age of 12......
he took his own life..... :'(
I feel so bad for my aunt ...I just hope in time things will heal

bambiblue
07-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Madonna, nuff said!!!!!

HELL YEAH!!!!!

Viper
07-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Wow

2 sides a very in depth side and a lighter side

Hmmmm admire the most....I'm thinking

Viper
07-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Ok I have decided.

Larry Flyny is my choice for 2 reasons

1. He came from litterally nothing a shcak if you will and is worth willions of dollars
2. Most important he has never given up on attacking the government and has fought all the way to the supreme court and won for his dedication to free speech he paved the way for many things that would not be here if it was not for him.

Just my opinion

Viper
07-20-2004, 01:17 PM
blah spelling

Larry Flynt

Cali_Tiffany
07-28-2004, 11:34 PM
My best friend ........
My Rock
She makes my worst days turn Sunny.
And that is something money could never buy.]

Lexi
07-28-2004, 11:37 PM
yeah......he just passed away at the age of 12......
he took his own life..... :'(
I feel so bad for my aunt ...I just hope in time things will heal

Oh my god... I am so sorry to hear about your cousin's tragedy. He took his OWN life? Omg.... I dont have enough words to express how sorry I am.
:'(
:pray:

Madcap
07-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Well, i would post an actual pic, but considering the guy died in 480 B.C. one does not exist. I will post what happened, and a pic of a statue devoted to him that stands in the greek town of Spartii, though...

Leonidas the First.

Xerxes I, king of Persia, had been preparing for years to continue the war against the Greeks started by his father Darius. In 484 BC Xerxes' army and navy arrived in Asia Minor, building a bridge of ships across the Hellespont at Abydos to march his troops across. According to the Greek historian Herodotus Xerxes had over five million men, while the poet Simonides estimated three million; Herodotus also wrote that the army drank entire rivers and ate the food supplies of entire cities. These are, of course, exaggerations, but it is clear that the Greeks were vastly outnumbered (Modern scholoars estimate it at anywhere between a half million and a million soldiers, still a MASSIVE army for those days). The major Greek city-states formed an alliance, led by Sparta under king Leonidas, and prepared to block the Persian advance at the narrow pass of Thermopylae in northern Greece. Originally engaging the full might of Xerxes mammoth army in August of 480 BC with a force of some 7000 men (300 of whom were Spartans, the rest were a loose conglomeration of forces from other city-states), Leonidas aimed to hold the pass as long as possible so that the rest of Greece could rally their troops and navy. The smallness of the force was, according to the story, due to the fact that he was deliberately going to his doom, an oracle having foretold that Sparta could be saved only by the death of one of its kings.

Two anecdotes demonstrate the laconic matter-of-fact bravery that Leonidas, and the Spartans, were famed for even in the ancient world. On the first day of the siege, when Xerxes' emmisary demanded the Greeks surrender their spears, Leonidas is said to have replied, "Molon Labe" (Ancient Greek for "Come and take them.") And on the third day, the king is reputed to have told his men to eat a hearty breakfast, because that night they would dine in Hades.

Xerxes did not believe such a small force would oppose him, and gave the Greeks five days to retreat. When they did not, he sent his troops into the pass, but each successive wave was eventually defeated (It is said that the tiny Greek army killed 20,000 persians on the first day of battle alone). The Persians, with arrows and short spears, could not break through the long spears of the Greek hoplites, although it was said that the Persian arrows blotted out the sun. The 6,000 Greeks defending the pass defeated the Persians in a similar manner on the second day of battle (We'll get to the other thousand in a minute).

After the second day a Greek named Ephialtes defected to the Persians and informed Xerxes of a separate path through Thermopylae. The pass was defended by the other 1000 Greeks (Told ya), from Phocis, who had been placed there when the Greeks learned of the alternate route just before the battle, but they were not expecting to engage the Persians. The Phocians offered a brief resistance before fleeing, and the Persians advanced unopposed.

Leonidas then realized that further fighting would be futile. On August 11 he dismissed all but 300 Spartans. A contingent of Thespians, led by Demophilus (An architect by trade), stayed as well in a suicidal effort to delay the advance. Leonidas also had a force of Thebans, but after some fighting they defected to the Persians. Although the Greeks killed many Persians, including two of Xerxes' brothers, Leonidas was killed, along with all 300 of his men. The last Spartans were killed trying to recover their king's body, after having been driven back into the narrowest part of the pass, onto a small hill in the pass.

He was buried with full honors, including a very un-Spartan display of wailing and mourning (Spartans normally accepted death in battle as a matter of course and disapproved of outward greiving) and a carved lion was dedicated at his death site.

Our knowledge of the circumstances is too little to let us judge Leonidas' strategy, but his heroism and devotion secured him an almost unique place in the imagination not only of his own time but until this very day.

There is an epitaph on a monument at site of the battle with The Spartan poet Simonides's verse (which can be found in Herodotus' work "The Histories") to the Spartans:

It reads (In ancient Greek)

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti täde/
keimetha tois keinon rhämasi peithomenoi.

Which to keep the poetic context can be translated as:

Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by
that here, obedient to their laws we lie

or more literally as:

Traveler, carry this word to the men of Lacedaemon (Sparta):
we who lie here did what they told us to do.

Incidentally, the Greeks defeated Xerxes once and for all at the Battle Plataea, and won the second Persian war. There are many who believe that Leonidas and his companions saved western civillization at the battle of Thermopylae.

sander8son
07-29-2004, 12:16 PM
i most admire jason varitek. not only because he's a good person, and an intelligent guy, and quite possibly the hardest worker(off the field) of any professional athlete...... but mostly because he smacked arod in the face.

;D

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_123660.jpg

Cheers to you Tek!

Adina
07-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Audrey Hepburn, who, besides her beauty and grace, did so much good for the children of the world.

blondhottie
07-29-2004, 08:48 PM
My late cousin
A beautiful soul

I'm so sorry to hear that, Chynadoll. :'( One of my brothers is 12 years old also and I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him.

Silverback
07-29-2004, 09:17 PM
;D

Silverback
07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
EXAMPLES OF SURAK'S TEACHINGS
Li-fallar t'saven-don-tak t'Surak

>Dakh&#039;uh pthak. Nam-tor ri ret na&#039;fan-kitok fa tu dakh pthak<.
Cast out fear. There is no room for anything else until you cast out fear.

>Vah mau vah tor-yehat ri stau. Kup-fun-tor ha&#039;kiv na&#039;ish du stau? Dom nam-tor vohris nem-tor ha&#039;kiv<.
As far as possible, do not kill. Can you return life to what you kill? Then be slow to take life.

>Ma etek natyan — teretuhr lau etek shetau weh-lo&#039;uk do tum t&#039;on<.
We have differences. May we, together, become greater than the sum of both of us.

>Nam-tor ri thrap wilat nem-tor rim<.
There is no offense where none is taken.

>Shiyau thol&#039;es k&#039;thorai ri k&#039;ahm<.
Nobility lies in action not in name.

>Tilek svi&#039;khaf-spol t&#039;vathu - tilek svi&#039;sha&#039;veh<.
The spear in the other&#039;s heart is the spear in your own.

>Variben veh sochya kuv nam-tor vah goh yut ha-tor<.
He talks peace if it is the only way to live.

>Ri klau au ik klau tu. Nufau au sochya - yi dungi ma tu sochya<.
Do no harm to those that harm you. Offer them peace, then you will have peace.

>Ri vath kau eh ri vath rok nam-tor na&#039;etek hi etek kau-tor<.
There is no other wisdom and no other hope for us but that we grow wise.

>Pulau na&#039;vathular k&#039;nuhk. Nar-tor pulaya s&#039;au k&#039;ka&#039;es - k&#039;el&#039;rular tun-bosh<.
Reach out to others courteously. Accept their reaching in the same way, with careful hands.

>Nam-tor wak vah yut s&#039;vesht na&#039;fa&#039;wak heh pla&#039;rak. I&#039;wak mesukh-yut t&#039;on<.
Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both.

>Eik-veshtaya to&#039;ovau kau - lu veshtaya ri glazhau goh na&#039;kastorilaya t&#039;kashan<.
Wide experience increases wisdom, provided the experience is not sought purely for the stimulation of sensation.

>Spunau bolayalar t&#039;Wehku bolayalar t&#039;Zamu il t&#039;Veh<.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

T&#039;PLANA-HATH&#039;S STATEMENT ON LOGIC
Star-Krus na&#039;Ozhika t&#039;T&#039;Plana-Hath

Nam-tor Ozhika kluterek t&#039;sha&#039;sutenivaya - k&#039;ish she-tor etek s&#039;nezhak - isan utvau vah sha&#039;kakhartayek.
Logic is the cement of our civilization with which we ascend from chaos, using reason as our guide.

Madcap
07-30-2004, 03:29 AM
Anyone dig my Leonidas essay, i was wondering ifg it made any sense.

AinNY
07-30-2004, 10:05 AM
i most admire jason varitek. not only because he&#039;s a good person, and an intelligent guy, and quite possibly the hardest worker(off the field) of any professional athlete...... but mostly because he smacked arod in the face.

;D

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_123660.jpg

Cheers to you Tek!

Too bad your hero is a bitch and tried to fight someone while wearing his full catchers gear....he didnt even take off his mask...

And he still lost the fight...plus he broke his wrist....what a BITCH :P

A-Rod for president in &#039;04

verfolgung
07-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Uh, what&#039;s with the repeat in the thread title the thread title? ???

urnemesis
07-30-2004, 12:34 PM

It was a mistake a mistake. :beat:

TarzanBass
07-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Madcap, I&#039;d be more convinced if Leonidas had attacked Xerxes&#039; army by himself, and not sacrificed the 7000.

--TB

Hottie7268
07-31-2004, 12:47 AM
I admire this guy for letting someone take and live with having a picture of his prolapsed anus......

Sorry to subject those with the weak stomachs to this

Rhiannon
07-31-2004, 01:28 AM
HOLY HELL!

That is just all sorts of wrong! LOL

(Rotten.com is the greatest, isn&#039;t it? hahaha! That is the site I first found out what Bukkake was. lmfao)

Hottie7268
07-31-2004, 01:33 AM
HOLY HELL!

(Rotten.com is the greatest, isn&#039;t it? hahaha! That is the site I first found out what Bukkake was. lmfao)

OMG RHI! You are THE COOLEST CHICK EVER! I LOVE YOU! :heartbeat:

Are you a member of the rotten dead pool too? I am! I got Reagan!

Rhiannon
07-31-2004, 01:41 AM
LOL Yes! I&#039;ve been doing the Death Pool for a couple years now.. I totally wasn&#039;t thinking that Reagan was going to take a dirtnap this year.. Arg! Congrats girl! Hahaha!

*muah* You rock!

Hottie7268
07-31-2004, 08:05 AM
This guy is THE MAN!!!!!!! Now if I could only get him to put me in his magazine......

Lexi
07-31-2004, 11:55 AM

rolling on the FUCKIN floor laughing because of this post.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LMAO

Rhiannon
07-31-2004, 06:23 PM
LOL..

You know what&#039;s really sad? I hadn&#039;t even noticed that it was like that until it was mentioned.. hahahaha

:dunce: <~ me

Hottie7268
07-31-2004, 10:45 PM
LOL..

You know what&#039;s really sad? I hadn&#039;t even noticed that it was like that until it was mentioned.. hahahaha

:dunce: <~ me

ME NEITHER RHI!!!!!!! LOL :laughing:

Tiff_7_17
08-01-2004, 12:17 AM
HOW the hell do you get a prolapsed anus...stick a blender up there and turn it on?????? WTF...getting a little too freaky with a hamster..or 12? :o I don&#039;t get it at all.

onlythebest
08-01-2004, 12:19 AM
HOW the hell do you get a prolapsed anus...stick a blender up there and turn it on?????? WTF...getting a little too freaky with a hamster..or 12? :o I don&#039;t get it at all.

Oh Tiff,that is a doctored photo.If you go to snopes.com and look in the gallery,it will tell you what is really is.