PDA

View Full Version : Features features features!!!

Pryce
07-23-2004, 03:25 PM
So what features do you need and use on this site and others?
What features do you like?
Which features are overkill and useless?
Got ideas for any others?

The current software we use is no longer developed...that means in some sense we've hit a dead end. I'm always here to add features, but bug fixes and heavy testing won't be performed as it has in the past. So I'm going to be moving the site to another software (undecided yet, but the group that started this one has created a new one...so maybe).

But, before I make my final choice, I want to know what you are looking for and what you enjoy so I can take that into account. Also, if the chosen board doesn't offer some of the features we currently have, I may have to code them in myself (things like the club system will have to be re-written too :P blegh) - so I want to know what sort of job I'm facing.

Me personally?

I love the additional smilies,
the moods system (though if I rewrite it, I'd do it so you could use any of the smilies ;)),
I like the ignore system,
the personal messaging system,
calendar (though it's really only used for b-day notices),
profiles and bios are good - though I'd like to expand it to have like a blog,
uploading images and avatars (though both could be improved),
reply notification,
quick reply,
seeing offline/online status of posters,
go up/down buttons,
the "new" link,
seeing "Today" and "Yesterday" instead of today and yesterday's date,
previous and next link,
polls,
quick login at the bottom of every page,
report to moderator - though it is primitive right now,
users browsing boards,
chat.

Things I'd like to see added include a spellcheck (see collapsable below ;)),
a way to distiguish members who contribute and those who don't - that is more complex than simply looking at post number,
an introduction/FAQ that explains how to use the site and software,
email verification (this is an admin thing, but it'd be useful),
I'd like every user to have their own picture gallery linked with their profile - so you could add or remove pics as you please,
user selectable languages (for those who do not speak english well),
a way to identify dancers and non-dancers.

Things I don't use - collapsable (sp?) categories,
member map (while interesting - I think it sounds better than it actually is),
memberlist (is this useful to you?).

That's all I can think of for now. I know features can be fun, but there shouldn't be too many, otherwise the board becomes too hard to use and slowed down - on the flip side, there should be enough to keep the community fun, interesting, and useful. If you want me to take your opinion into account, let me know. ;D

Rhiannon
07-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Hahaha.. We're on the same wavelength I think Pryce. I like pretty much all the features, except for the member map. I occasionally use the member list, but not that often.

The member map is nice, but whenever I try to access it, I get a bunch of x's where the pins are, and it's all jumbled up. Oh, and I had to stick myself in "West Warwick, Connecticut" lol.. There's no West Warwick in CT, of course, but on that map, RI doesn't exist? lol

On another message board I'm on, Everyone has the option to have their own "member gallery", that's definitely something I'd like to see on here.

I think it would be great if the software would allow us to use any kind of smiley for our moods. That way we could be a little creative.. lol

A_Guy
07-23-2004, 05:17 PM
love the additional smilies, the moods system (though if I rewrite it, I'd do it so you could use any of the smilies ;)),

:thumbsup: Smilies - the body language of the net... The more the better!

I like the ignore system, the personal messaging system,
calendar (though it's really only used for b-day notices), profiles and bios are good - though I'd like to expand it to have like a blog, uploading images and avatars (though both could be improved),
reply notification, quick reply, seeing offline/online status of posters,
go up/down buttons, the "new" link, seeing "Today" and "Yesterday" instead of today and yesterday's date,previous and next link, polls,
quick login at the bottom of every page, report to moderator - though it is primitive right now, users browsing boards, chat.

:thumbsup: love em all... esp. chat ;)

Things I'd like to see added include a spellcheck (see collapsable below ;)),

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm knot de best spellur... sough, this wood bee helpfol

a way to distiguish members who contribute and those who don't - that is more complex than simply looking at post number

:thumbsup: I'm not sure how this will work, but seems like an excellent idea. Post count is relatively pointless when it comes to contribution.

an introduction/FAQ that explains how to use the site and software, email verification (this is an admin thing, but it'd be useful)

:thumbsup: also, maybe make it mandatory or highly recommened for the new users to introduce themselves in the "coming out" forum? Just an idea. Not sure if it would cut down on the riff raff.

I'd like every user to have their own picture gallery linked with their profile - so you could add or remove pics as you please -

:thumbsup: Awesome! although I'm sure some of the ladies will have their PM frequency increased by the lurkers and johnny's of the world

user selectable languages (for those who do not speak english well),

Seems like a good idea, but there still isn't a perfect translator out there. A lot of the slang and abbreviations will be "lost in translation".

a way to identify dancers and non-dancers.

Maybe an icon for dancers, customers, general enthusiasts ;)?[/b

memberlist (is this useful to you?). -

[b]Would be if there were more search options (i.e. sort based on last post date, sort based on location, etc.)

Also, maybe in the user's profile you can include "favorite club" with a link to the club's review or website.

And finally - I highly recommend putting the donate button on more pages. It's nice to have the option in the gallery, however, I think a link to donations should be on the main forum page.

Sitri
07-26-2004, 06:09 AM
Also, the ability to set a different theme so you can select something other than Pink.

And make it a different name on the page so if someone sees you browzing it at work, it won't be so obvious... ha ha

FemmeFatale
08-04-2004, 07:18 PM
maybe it's just me but i think the search engine can be improved.

Cali_Tiffany
08-05-2004, 08:05 AM
maybe it's just me but i think the search engine can be improved.

Its not just you.....my search hardly ever works. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

LEIGH_LANDON
08-05-2004, 02:17 PM
I like chat - not in it much but I like knowing I can drop in when I chance upon a larger group! I DO use member list --helps me try to keep track sometimes or find certain posts by other members.

I am DYING for when the new moderators hit the decks - all the repetition and inane blather make for a difficult read on this site and I have found I hardly EVER read as much as I used to - too time consuming to scroll thru so much fluff.

spellcheck would rock.

AND I LOVE THAT THE SITE IS PINK! (sorry sitri, lol)

wish I could chalk up something original or innovative, but in all reality this site is pretty much my main site to visit other than our canadian counterpart. My experience on 'boards' n such is limited - by choice.

Rhiannon
08-05-2004, 04:53 PM

I am DYING for when the new moderators hit the decks - all the repetition and inane blather make for a difficult read on this site and I have found I hardly EVER read as much as I used to - too time consuming to scroll thru so much fluff.

AND I LOVE THAT THE SITE IS PINK! (sorry sitri, lol)

I completely agree, Leigh.

And I LOVE the site pink too.. There's always the panic button program for anyone who's reading at work and needs to cover it up real quick.. lol

kitana
08-06-2004, 02:11 AM
Pryce I love all the additions you are looking for, and I think that a coming out post would be great for every new member.
I love the spell checker and the member connected picture gallerys too.

Madcap
08-06-2004, 10:26 PM
A spell checker is a hell of an idea!

Pryce
08-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Glad most members like the new ideas and thank you for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

A_Guy - we'll also work out something so lurkers can't PM every dancer with a gallery. The member list will be sortable and searchable - hopefully that'll make it more useful - thanks for the idea. Also, I really like the idea of a "favorite club" - I'll do my best to incorporate that too. We'll also make the donate page more prominent.

As for a different color, we've got that one covered to. While it complicates the system a bit, we will allow for a few user selectable templates - right now the plan is to have a new SW look ("project rising" - shhh...), the SW classic look, a clean/plain version without the word "Stripper", and a mobile phone compatible version.

The search is flakey for me to. Sometimes it's dead on, other times it finds nothing. We already have a new engine in the works and it seems to be very dependable. We'll let everyone know when we do the move.

Leigh - we're also working on a solution to identify the more key issue messages from the fun but useless messages. This is a complex situation, but we're doing our best to allow both groups to find what they're looking for.

:) Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming if you've got something!

onlythebest
08-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Pryce,can you add something like a user ID search so it makes PMing someone else a little easier instead of having to go through the member list?Thanks.

A_Guy
08-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Glad most members like the new ideas and thank you for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

A_Guy - we'll also work out something so lurkers can't PM every dancer with a gallery. The member list will be sortable and searchable - hopefully that'll make it more useful - thanks for the idea. Also, I really like the idea of a "favorite club" - I'll do my best to incorporate that too. We'll also make the donate page more prominent.

As for a different color, we've got that one covered to. While it complicates the system a bit, we will allow for a few user selectable templates - right now the plan is to have a new SW look ("project rising" - shhh...), the SW classic look, a clean/plain version without the word "Stripper", and a mobile phone compatible version.

The search is flakey for me to. Sometimes it's dead on, other times it finds nothing. We already have a new engine in the works and it seems to be very dependable. We'll let everyone know when we do the move.

Leigh - we're also working on a solution to identify the more key issue messages from the fun but useless messages. This is a complex situation, but we're doing our best to allow both groups to find what they're looking for.

:) Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming if you've got something!

Nice! :great:

Keep up the good work Pyrce and GF!

VenusGoddess
08-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Would the "personal gallery users have the option to password protect their galleries? That way they could decide who sees those pics or not...just wondering.

Sitri
08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Also, the ability to set a different theme so you can select something other than Pink.

And make it a different name on the page so if someone sees you browzing it at work, it won't be so obvious... ha ha

Thank Pryce!

Pryce
08-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Would the "personal gallery users have the option to password protect their galleries? That way they could decide who sees those pics or not...just wondering.

That's not something I had considered. I was thinking like a gallery in your profile - so each member could add or remove photos as they liked. I'll have to look into password protection and see what we can do. :)

VADEN
08-19-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm with Sitri on this.... ;)

FBR
08-20-2004, 05:07 PM
I have a hard time remembering to maintain my Inbox and Outbox. They fill up rapidly. It would be nice if they could hold more PM's.

FBR

Pryce
08-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestion FBR. We are planning to give donors more box space! :)

sadbuttrue
08-20-2004, 09:37 PM
GirlFriday is very quick these days to move pics from Uploads to the appropriate gallery. Good job!

But after it goes into the gallery, it's tough to find the last groups of photos uploaded.

Could we have something that lets us look at the last n pictures added in a gallery?

Still also the alphabetical tabs for A-Z might be good on the gallery. I like the idea of links at the post level or member lists to get to pics.

Not sure about this, but maybe a "(C)" next to logged in users to show if they are in chat.

For dancers who want to be located, I wonder if a link to their current club would be useful. Or a search by club for dancers. Although this may not be heavily used.

Search by state for members?

>>>Sad<<<
;)

sadbuttrue
08-21-2004, 06:38 AM
Oh you need a movies section, too.

>>>Sad<<<

montythegeek
08-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Dufinately Spull Chuck!

Pryce
08-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Sad -> We&#039;re planning to have a completely new gallery system. It will have a gallery for each member - not like now - rather you&#039;ll get to add and remove pictures as you please. Galleries will be organized by name, searchable, and you can lookup galleries by letter. Also from user profiles in the forum you&#039;ll be able to view a gallery.

The new gallery shows random images, the most recent additions and the most popular photos. :) Now we just have to raise the $ to afford it - I&#039;m guessing December-ish.

As for the chat thing, I&#039;ll see what I can do. Perhaps, I can log when a user loads the chat page and keep a list of those users...I&#039;m not sure, that&#039;s just off the top of my head. I&#039;ll look into it.

FBR
08-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion FBR. We are planning to give donors more box space! :)

Pryce that would totally work for me. Thank ya sir!

FBR

naomisantos77
09-30-2004, 09:56 AM
A spell checker is a hell of an idea!

Yes please :pray: a spell checker :yes:

I alway&#039;s have problems with writting in English
i love to answer to qeustions or to make my own without spell faults :shy: you see probadly "faults" i didn&#039;t spell it good.
maybe a translator would be a good idea ha ha