PDA

View Full Version : Price War Brewing in Central Texas

aggieed
04-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Well, I can't seem to find the thread that Lover started where we were discussing $5 dances in Austin, Texas...maybe it was removed? Maybe I'm blind because I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning.

In any case, there's an interesting thing happening in town. As mentioned before, my favorite club, Joy of Austin, has had $5 Tuesdays since November, 2001. About a month ago, their rival across the highway, Penthouse of Austin, started offering $5 Tuesdays in an effort to "take back Tuesdays."

In answer, Joy is now doing $5 Tuesdays AND $5 Saturdays (and yes, many dancers are pissed at this).

Just this last weekend, one of the oldest, more established clubs in town offered $5 dances on Sunday!! That club was Sugars of Austin!!

Hey, Bridgette, lucky you got out when you did! Can you imagine anyone doing dances for just $5 at Sugars?

Anyway, I find all of this rather interesting. It's a nice little price war we have down here! I wonder who will be next...the Yellow Rose perhaps?

sol_de_pr2
04-14-2003, 12:36 AM
Wow, I wish Divas had those $5.00 specials during the week I'd go there a bit more often ;D

McCain
04-14-2003, 01:24 AM
Criminy... $5 LD's? Thank God I stayed away from Texas.... Even the divey biker-bar hole-in-the-walls I've worked have never charged that little.

Then again, on the other hand, for the best looking or hardest hustling girl in a club, that could be the easiest way to clean up financially. Dances that cheap would have guys lined up outside the door, for the right girl...

McCain

doc-catfish
04-14-2003, 03:39 AM
There's a club in Topeka, KS called Baby Dolls that as recently as January '01, did $5.00 laps all the time in the main showroom. They've since moved it up to $10.00 to keep decent dancers from flocking to other clubs where $10 was the standard. Thats still very reasonable.

Certainly I don't mind seeing clubs lower the price of dances to help boost sales when the economy is slow or have a special on a weeknight, but when you're giving customers a 50-75% discount just because they showed up on the right night, I'd suspect that the dancers who are scheduled to work those nights aren't going to be too eager to entertain. I certainly hope the girls who have to work 2-4 times as hard for their bread on those nights get some sort of break on their tip out.

Prester_John
04-14-2003, 05:17 AM
Being from New Jersey, I cannot fathom having dances for less than $20. Ive never seen any for less then that in any club I have ever been to.

The only time I got a dance for less then that is when I won a dance in a raffle at the late great Boxcar in Phillipsburg. I still gave the dancer a 15 dollar tip.

PJ

The_Oceans
04-14-2003, 08:02 AM
To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, perhaps one desired effect of lowering LD prices is the hope that for a fiver, you might take a chance on a dancer you wouldn't have wanted a $10 or $20 LD from. Maybe if you get one $5 lap, and enjoy the experience, you'll get two or three (and if she rocks your world you can do like Prester_John and tip her accordingly). If she doesn't rock your world, hey, it's only a fiver!

Back in the real world, however, I agree that the most likely effect is that the ladies have to work twice as hard to earn half as much - cuz if there are no customers in the club, it doesn't matter if a lap costs $5 or $20 - the dancer isn't making any money, and neither is the club.

(Personally I don't mind paying $20 for a lap dance...it's $6 for a coke in your finer establishments that chaps my hide!)

money
04-14-2003, 08:32 AM
Prester, Lace in Wayne had $10.00 dances for years. Now after they got done remodelling they have upped it to $15.00 a dance. It can be misleading tho, as the dances are only 3 minutes as opposed to the $20.00 dance clubs which are normally 5 minutes or so.

So Aggie, with those $5.00 dances, are they shorter in length or are they keeping the length of the dances the same?

electric_head
04-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I need to visit Texas :D

Joe12601
04-14-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm always the business man...Do 5 tuesdays kill your mondays and wednesday action?? I talked the local owner into changing his sigh outside that bragged of wednesday being 2-for 1 all day...my theory was if I pulled up on tuesday and saw that I might postpone my plans. He agreed when presented the facts. I'd rather that loyal customers be rewarded..buy a dance and get one free admission during the next 7 days . I'm disturbed by the fact the ladies always seem to get yanked in these circumstancs.

Zabrina
04-14-2003, 01:08 PM
I'm always the business man...Do 5 tuesdays kill your mondays and wednesday action??

Yep. I work at Penthouse which now has the $5 Tuesdays. Mon and Wed's are slower than ever now.
Plus, attracting cheap-skates into your club isn't a great idea. I used to work at Joy, then they turned into dance special central. The class of the clientele went way down, many of the best girls there, myself included, left en masse to work elsewhere.

aggieed
04-14-2003, 02:57 PM
So Aggie, with those $5.00 dances, are they shorter in length or are they keeping the length of the dances the same?

Wow, this thread really took off. As far as your question, it depends. At Joy, during the daytime NO girl will give you a $5 dance, and if they do, it's totally noncontact. At nighttime, the DJ does cut the songs at around 2 minutes.

As for Penthouse, I've not been, but on their website they claim that the $5 dances are not 2 minutes long, so I assume they are full length.

Does these kind of specials kill other days...yeah, sure, but if you ask me that's ideal. I mean, I was able to spend one entire Monday afternoon with my ATF almost all alone at Joy a few weeks ago. It was great...didn't really need to go into VIP for privacy. I personally like going into a club when it's slow.

Oh, well...we'll see what happens...I think the thing that stunned me was that Sugars went with $5 dances. I guess you have to live here to understand, but Sugars is the LAST club I would ever think would do this. Some of the ladies that work there have been there since the world was created, and I just can't see them even coming close to accepting $5 for a dance.

Richard_Head
04-14-2003, 03:09 PM
There is a club where I live that offers $5 dances all the time, everytime I ask a girl why she doesn't move to a club that charges more they tell me: 1) the club is always packed, 2) it takes no effort what-so-ever to get a guy to fork over $5, 3) many people will tip above the $5.

doc-catfish
04-14-2003, 03:53 PM
I'm always the business man...Do 5 tuesdays kill your mondays and wednesday action?? I talked the local owner into changing his sigh outside that bragged of wednesday being 2-for 1 all day...my theory was if I pulled up on tuesday and saw that I might postpone my plans. He agreed when presented the facts. I'd rather that loyal customers be rewarded..buy a dance and get one free admission during the next 7 days . I'm disturbed by the fact the ladies always seem to get yanked in these circumstancs.
I suppose the theory is that its good advertising to throw up a sale, but thats an interesting point, much like anything that I would buy in a store, would I even think of paying full price for something, knowing that its going to be on sale soon. A responsible club owner should realize that he/she has balance the interests of his dancers and customers.

There is a club where I live that offers $5 dances all the time, everytime I ask a girl why she doesn't move to a club that charges more they tell me: 1) the club is always packed, 2) it takes no effort what-so-ever to get a guy to fork over $5, 3) many people will tip above the $5.
There's really a lot of truth to that theory. At that low a price a guy can have a considerably entertaining evening on a $100 budget and can feel like they're a "big spender" by giving more than the minimum price. Less attractive dancers also benefit because we guys aren't near as selective on who we spend our money on.

Nonetheless, I can see why a stunner like Mariah would be less than happy with said circumstances, seeing as she not only has to work harder on Tuesday, but that the Tuesday special messes up Monday and Wednesday at her club as well. The problem is that once one club in a market has done this, the others pretty much have to follow suit. Lowering prices to help boost business on off days is one thing, but cutthroating is another.

Joe12601
04-14-2003, 10:34 PM
the problem with slashing prices to generate business is a simple one...once your lull in sales is over ....how do you raise your price??? "hey I paid five bucks last week!!!" this is why specials and sales have to be advertised and marketed as such.

Ladies...ever notice that the specials and sales always seem to be based on your services??? Rarely an admission special (which doesn't involve hidden costs), drink specials and happy hours are rare..I know the bottom line is the bottom line..but accept the fact this is a nice bottom line were talking about.

Susan Wayward
04-15-2003, 06:13 AM
I have to imagine that they're cutting the songs somewhat to give the girls a fighting chance to make decent money - although it has to be hard to say no to a $5 dance, there's still a limit to how many guys are going to spend money on you, and you need to try to do as many dances as possible to make money on those nights. That being said, at XTC, three nights out of the week are specials nights - $10 on Sunday and Tuesday, two-for-ones on Thursday. Mondays and Wednesdays are quiet, but I have noticed that the clientele in on those nights are not hard to sell $20 dances to at all. And of course it's not a problem on Frday or Saturday. Like Mariah said, filling the club with bargain seekers can backfire - you can wind up with a full club on a specials night where no one is spending money on the girls.

Bridgette
04-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Oh those damned dance specials! I think the club managers in Austin have all lost their marbles! Really, if $5 Tuesdays makes for slower Mondays and Wednesdays, AND the fact that such cheap dances only serves to bring in cheap guys, I can't imaging the club REALLY benefits from that. Maybe they get the increased cover on special day, but what are they losing on the other days? Then if you've got a house full of cheapskates, how many drinks are they buying? I know most of those cheap bastards at Joy Tuesdays don't buy the girls drinks, so that's money the bar loses. Couple that with their tendency to nurse two beers all night, and I'm thinking somebody needs to rethink their gameplan. I know most of those managers aren't exactly thr brightest bulbs in the box, so maybe they should get somebody to do some real recordkeeping and see if those cheapo days really benefit anyone but the cheapo customers!

Oh, and to answer Catfish's comment about lowered tipouts on dance special days, no they do not. The assholes continued to charge the same tipouts, but expect the girls to be happy with the potential to make only half the money. What creeps! Now I know that some girls like those days, because it's easy to get $5 out of a guy for a Texas-style LD, but I have to say those can't be the most enterprising of the bunch, considering they'll be happy to come in and dance their asses off on Tuesdays and laze around the house smoking pot all day on Mondays and Wednesdays because they find it harder to get dances those days. That mentality has never made sense to me. Lazy schmucks.

I am really glad to be out of there and in a place where I can actually benefit from my hard work and not have to put up with such a cheapass attitude. Ed, you're right I can't imagine the girls at Sugar's doing $5 dances, and if I were in Austin right now you can bet I'd be voting with my feet and getting the hell outta dodge!

Zabrina
04-16-2003, 01:39 PM
I am really glad to be out of there and in a place where I can actually benefit from my hard work and not have to put up with such a cheapass attitude. Ed, you're right I can't imagine the girls at Sugar's doing $5 dances, and if I were in Austin right now you can bet I'd be voting with my feet and getting the hell outta dodge!

Exactly! Last night was Tuesday and instead of working for $5, I went with my bf out scouting for a new club. Since I've already worked Joy, Penthouse and Sugars, last night I went to Landing Strip, Expose, and XTC. I was totally not surprised to see Penthouse girls over at Expose. Seems I'm not the only one with that idea. I was totally impressed with Expose, they have some real stunners there. I'm betting this is where the hotties from Show Palace went, as they had as many girls or more girls than they had customers. With that in mind, I went ahead and got hired at the Landing Strip. They are still in the range of 30 something girls per night and thats just a better ratio for $$. So screw the P-House and their $5 dollar dances. If they want to have a race to the bottom with Joy, go ahead but I wont let it pinch my pocketbook.

04-17-2003, 05:40 AM
My lord $5 dances , that is shameful of the clubs to ask the ladies to do ... I mean what is the standard cost of living in Austin. The only places that a $5 dance sounds reasonable to me is if the average income level in a town/city is below 15 grand a year- like a small farming town or something, not in a place like Austin.

jennymodel
04-30-2003, 07:06 PM
I think most gentlemen's club customer's really don't think about how great they have it. Can you imagine walking up to a girl you think is really hot at a party or bar and saying "hey, I'll give you 5 dollars to get naked and rub all over me!" When you think of it this way even $20 dollars sounds paltry.

aggieed
07-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Bump for Amber...guess I wasn't lazy after all.

Update: Joy doesn't offer $5 dances on Saturdays anymore. They only did it for one weekend since too many of the girls complained, but here's the breakout:

Joy has $5 dances on Tuesday nights
Penthouse has $5 dances on Tuesdays
Sugars has $5 dances on Sundays